Author Topic: Ace trucks  (Read 747542 times)

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1028
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: Ace trucks
« Reply #5880 on: September 28, 2022, 05:57:46 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
sorry back again with the riser question. my local only got these. would they fit the af1?

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0149/1971/products/IndependentShockPads_1024x1024.jpg

[close]

If I remember correctly the independent ones don’t line up, it ends up being staggered. I had a pair from Pig and another pair from Vision that both worked with Aces
[close]

thanks for the looks. saw some pigs and a shake junt at some other shop i might scope out
[close]

If they are the rubber ones, you can cut them to size as the ones I had were way larger than any baseplate, so I trimmed them down, either with a blade when mounted on an old / unwanted board under the required trucks or scissors.

That way they can fit whatever truck you need, including cutting between the two double holes and lengthening out the single holes to fit Thunder easily enough as well.

Just a thought for you, as that worked really well for boards I had set up.
[close]

The problem with the Independent ones is that they end up being staggered. The baseplate extends past the riser on one side and the riser extends past the baseplate on the other side. Cutting to size isn’t really an option since the riser needs to be longer on one side.

Side note, the Independent risers don’t even fit Independent trucks that well. They’re slightly smaller than the baseplate so the truck slightly hangs over the riser. It doesn’t affect the ride, but it still bothers me when I setup a new deck.

I wonder if they have changed them, as the ones I had stuck out a fair bit on all sides, so I trimmed them down easily to fit.

For softer ones, I cut them to sit just ever so slightly under the baseplates which works really well.

It does bug me with some other hard ones that stick out more on one end that are not so easy to trim or make fit certain trucks though.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

In A Jar

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 35
    • just say null avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #5881 on: September 29, 2022, 07:56:44 AM »
For those who have changed to the Ace hard bushings, how different of a ride is it?

I am almost content with the stock ones but I have them cranked down quite a bit. 

IpathCats

« Reply #5882 on: September 29, 2022, 08:22:32 AM »
For those who have changed to the Ace hard bushings, how different of a ride is it?

I am almost content with the stock ones but I have them cranked down quite a bit.

For me at 165ish pounds. The difference wasn't extreme. Noticeable, and better imo. But if you have the kingpin but flush they would still be loose and surfy. I have like 1 1/2 threads showing on my af1s with the hard bushings in them.

If you're looking for something slightly stiffer, I'd recommend. If you're looking for something drastically more hard, these ain't it.

DeepSpace9mm

• Rep: 100
« Reply #5883 on: September 29, 2022, 08:49:59 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

For me at 165ish pounds. The difference wasn't extreme. Noticeable, and better imo. But if you have the kingpin but flush they would still be loose and surfy. I have like 1 1/2 threads showing on my af1s with the hard bushings in them.

If you're looking for something slightly stiffer, I'd recommend. If you're looking for something drastically more hard, these ain't it.

I’d echo what IpathCats has said for the most part. For me, the hard bushings seemed pretty soft out of the box (bag) to the point where I wondered whether or not they were a “hard” set at all.

After a while it seemed the bushings had hardened a bit which resulted in me loosening my trucks a bunch so the nuts were flush. The rebound is nice.

I’ve since gone back to enjoying the stock bushings in my AF1’s and am riding them with about 1 thread showing on the kingpin. I’ll be sticking with the stock bushings for now because I think I was missing something that when riding the hard set.

That also could be down to me losing a bit of weight, colder weather, and a deck with wheel wells too.

Try them out. If you’re 175+ lbs and want a bit more stability and or return-to-center then you then the hard set might provide that for you.

Frank and Fred

« Reply #5884 on: September 29, 2022, 09:21:05 AM »
I got my Ace hard bushing in the summer and they initially felt pretty hard but softened quick in the heat. Now the weather is cooler they feel too hard for my tastes again. However, the thing with Ace is, you can ride a tighter truck and still get a great turn. If you like tight to medium trucks the Ace hards are a great. At 200lbs they save me some wheel bite for sure.

Frank and Fred

« Reply #5885 on: September 29, 2022, 09:40:21 AM »
Finally Ace have broken down sizes and weights properly in a  chart
https://www.acetrucks.com/sizing-chart

Af1s

Af1 Hollows

Classics

Diamond_Dallas_Pudge

• Rep: -46
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #5886 on: September 29, 2022, 09:46:59 AM »
Finally Ace have broken down sizes and weights properly in a  chart
https://www.acetrucks.com/sizing-chart

Af1s

Af1 Hollows

Classics

I'm telling you right now.

The Classics are 52mm tall

kneebone

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 356
« Reply #5887 on: September 29, 2022, 09:47:23 AM »
Any word on when the AF1 Hollow 60s will be available?

Frank and Fred

« Reply #5888 on: September 29, 2022, 09:49:02 AM »
I get smaller hanger and axle widths on my 60s compared to this chart also... whatever, I can't worry now I have found my perfect truck.

IpathCats

« Reply #5889 on: September 29, 2022, 09:55:54 AM »

I'm telling you right now.

The Classics are 52mm tall

yea wtf, no way classics are the same height as indy standards. wrong chart is wrong.

Frank and Fred

« Reply #5890 on: September 29, 2022, 10:00:16 AM »
Chart looks nice though ha ha....  ;D

logjammin

• Rep: 336
« Reply #5891 on: September 29, 2022, 10:03:27 AM »
Blows my mind how Ace have gotten this far and still cannot measure their trucks right.

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 618
« Reply #5892 on: September 29, 2022, 10:06:30 AM »
Blows my mind how Ace have gotten this far and still cannot measure their trucks right.

I wouldn't trust a single number they ever release at this point. The weights don't really make sense either if you compare regular af1 and hollows

256 Ply

• Rep: 22
« Reply #5893 on: September 29, 2022, 10:18:24 AM »
Don't know if this was already posted, but there's a new size slated. Ace AF1 80s = 10" axle.

If you combine the widths of the AF1s and Classics, they have more widths (10, (or 11 if you count the 44s twice since they are different on AF1s vs Classic)) than Indy (8).

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #5894 on: September 29, 2022, 10:56:12 AM »
That chart indeed looks good but is dubious. Classics are 52mm high and aren’t the AF1s 53mm or am I remembering that wrong? I’ve measured my classics but never the AF1s. Also why couldn’t they give the weights of the classics? Someone with big money should just buy all trucks that are sold and take them to a certified laboratory to take all measurements. I promise to do this myself if I ever win the lottery!

Frank and Fred

« Reply #5895 on: September 29, 2022, 10:59:21 AM »
Or... us nerds on here, could stop obsessing over a mm or two and just work on grinding down to axle.

IpathCats

« Reply #5896 on: September 29, 2022, 12:23:11 PM »
Or... us nerds on here, could stop obsessing over a mm or two and just work on grinding down to axle.

HERESY! CAST DOWN THE NON BELIEVER! DEATH TO THE HERETIC!

but yea you're prob right.

DERBY

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 254
« Reply #5897 on: September 29, 2022, 03:30:48 PM »

got these in the mail and paired em with the af1s. needed to widen one of the holes but works perfect. thanks for the looks y’all

edit: grammar
« Last Edit: September 29, 2022, 07:22:17 PM by DERBY »

Diamond_Dallas_Pudge

• Rep: -46
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #5898 on: September 30, 2022, 01:55:49 AM »

If you were really a nerd like us you would know "a mm or two" is very significant.

Sorry I know you like 52 wheels but here are 54's. Oh are they are too big? Just roll them down and stop complaining.

Fs_smith_98

• Rep: 1
« Reply #5899 on: September 30, 2022, 03:22:12 AM »
That chart is nowhere near to be considered as an actual font of correct information. Those hanger measurements are fucked up. Af1 55 have like 146mm hangers, they're an 8.38 truck... good from 8.5 to 8.75 decks? What? And why did they even put the classics in if they totally fucked up the height and didn't put the weight? Ace methods become more confusing everyday...

FrankRizzo

• Rep: 10
« Reply #5900 on: September 30, 2022, 05:38:07 AM »
What could it possibly mean to release inaccurate data as statistics and promotion?

I would have to view Ace as an abusive partner in a relationship. They have something to offer enough to lure me and keep me there. However I can not trust Ace to treat me as they would want to be treated. I am sure Ace desires all those they do business with to provide them accurate information.

Now one can never say for sure when anything new drops if Ace is lying or not. Which is kinda how the ruling class operates which I am not a fan of.

Frank and Fred

« Reply #5901 on: September 30, 2022, 07:53:46 AM »
What could it possibly mean to release inaccurate data as statistics and promotion?

I would have to view Ace as an abusive partner in a relationship. They have something to offer enough to lure me and keep me there. However I can not trust Ace to treat me as they would want to be treated. I am sure Ace desires all those they do business with to provide them accurate information.

Now one can never say for sure when anything new drops if Ace is lying or not. Which is kinda how the ruling class operates which I am not a fan of.

Its more like trying to get accurate info from your stoner friend who you know is a solid dude. Ultimately, you know his friendship is worth it but you have your moments of frustration.

A chart won't deter me.

Bumba

• Rep: 32
« Reply #5902 on: October 03, 2022, 04:51:19 PM »
My kingpin bolts are flush with the kingpin (nylock on threads) but the bolt keeps shifting half a turn loose after a couple of long sessions. Going to get some locktite but red or blue for this application?

mamba

• Rep: 144
  • Sucka free
« Reply #5903 on: October 03, 2022, 06:28:43 PM »
so hollows have been out for a while, what do you guys think?

swongolianbbq

• Rep: 44
« Reply #5904 on: October 03, 2022, 06:48:47 PM »
My kingpin bolts are flush with the kingpin (nylock on threads) but the bolt keeps shifting half a turn loose after a couple of long sessions. Going to get some locktite but red or blue for this application?

On the packaging, it says blue can be removed with hand tools, and red needs heat and/or other methods to remove. Personally I'd go with blue, cause if you need heat to remove the red, it could fuck up the bushings? Maybe someone who has used the red can weigh in.

beepbeep

• Rep: 4
« Reply #5905 on: October 03, 2022, 08:57:48 PM »

Blue 100%

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1094
« Reply #5906 on: October 03, 2022, 10:26:55 PM »
Backing the blue. Blue is intended to be used with bolts that see regular adjustment. Red is to form a semi-permanent bond. I expect you will adjust your trucks as every skater does, so a small turn of the screw and the bond is broken.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

frank1175

• Rep: 12
« Reply #5907 on: October 03, 2022, 11:04:04 PM »
For those interested, my pair of AF1 55’s weigh 790 grams and my AF1 55 Hollows weigh 744 grams so only a 46 grams difference on a pair. It’s not much but I can feel the difference. I always use the ACE Hard Bushings which I love but for instance Kevin Spanky Long uses a Hard bottom Soft top combo 😉

Bumba

• Rep: 32
« Reply #5908 on: October 04, 2022, 07:09:06 AM »
Thanks for all the help. Blue it is then

FrankRizzo

• Rep: 10
« Reply #5909 on: October 07, 2022, 07:32:38 PM »
I have four sets of AF1 66's. Three raw and one gold.
Gold ones were purchased spring 2021 from Skatewarehouse and it seems the baseplates have tooling marks left by the drill making the pivot cup hole.
I have already popped cups out and very gently sanded with 220.
Should I:
    Ride them as is when ready? or.....
    Pour some epoxy into the hole and resettle the pivot cups? or.....
    Try to find a way to access a receipt and contact Ace (pretty sure I burned it and junked the email)?