Author Topic: Ace trucks  (Read 747877 times)

cleveridiot

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 3
Re: Ace trucks
« Reply #5910 on: October 08, 2022, 06:36:29 AM »
I have four sets of AF1 66's. Three raw and one gold.
Gold ones were purchased spring 2021 from Skatewarehouse and it seems the baseplates have tooling marks left by the drill making the pivot cup hole.
I have already popped cups out and very gently sanded with 220.
Should I:
    Ride them as is when ready? or.....
    Pour some epoxy into the hole and resettle the pivot cups? or.....
    Try to find a way to access a receipt and contact Ace (pretty sure I burned it and junked the email)?

I had this happen on my AF1 55's. I sent a pic to ACE through their website and they took care of me. I just told them which shop I got them from and my address. Definitely a lifer because they took care of me.

Lepanto

• Rep: 6
« Reply #5911 on: October 09, 2022, 09:19:28 AM »
How would you guys define ACE trucks?
Good/bad things about them?

Lee Ralphs Dear Old Mum

« Reply #5912 on: October 09, 2022, 09:25:47 AM »

You have a 196 pages of information talking about exactly this.

Diamond_Dallas_Pudge

• Rep: -46
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #5913 on: October 09, 2022, 10:03:52 AM »

Start at page 1 like the rest of us.

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 618
« Reply #5914 on: October 09, 2022, 02:43:36 PM »

Ace trucks consist of a base plate (mounted to the base of the skateboard itself), an axle which pivots on two urethane cushions (called bushings) and a pivot point.

They can be used to steer the skateboard.

FrankRizzo

• Rep: 10
« Reply #5915 on: October 09, 2022, 05:30:47 PM »
Ace has more turn than most if not all popular traditional kingpin trucks.
A hanger can lean without any turning at all. Long-boarders sometimes use trucks that only lean in back with a squirly truck up front.
Point is a the amount of arc a hanger makes while leaning depends on the trucks geometry.
When it comes to carving Ace is really hard to beat.

Ace has a good stock bushing formula. Where indy and thunder crumble ace will get a crack or deformation that rarely is felt. Stock Ace bushings harden up after a short break in period. Last I checked a set of bushings and washers is $7 from
Ace.

Drawbacks are subjective:
    Weight.
    Pop angle from shortened wheelbase.
    Urethane pivot cups may not be as durable as plastic (delron) cups.
    Classics grind softer than Indy and harder than magnesium (some bend axles on classics).
    AF1 is harder than Indy (some say grind feels faster, some say it sticks on grinds).
    Bushings may be too soft (ace has hard bushings and they seem well liked).
    Washers can click for a period of time.
    Ace pinch point is sub par to thunder (not sure about the new ace lows).

I have skated AF1 since drop. I have read much of this thread and tried to summarize popular opinion and fact. I'll never be pinching a hand rail trick if you catch my drift.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2022, 07:34:52 PM by FrankRizzo »

FrankRizzo

« Reply #5916 on: October 09, 2022, 05:40:16 PM »
My personal con with AF1 is all the nuts that come with it are trash. Swapping them out is the first thing I do. The nuts at a hardware store are much better at staying in place.

Having the axle nuts look like a die solves nothing IMO. The metal is too soft to cut any threads and the reduced thread on thread contact has them loosing up quickly. Gimmicky BS. The kingpin nut is not much better. Super soft and the nylock used sucks.

FrankRizzo

« Reply #5917 on: October 09, 2022, 05:56:24 PM »
Expand Quote
I have four sets of AF1 66's. Three raw and one gold.
Gold ones were purchased spring 2021 from Skatewarehouse and it seems the baseplates have tooling marks left by the drill making the pivot cup hole.
I have already popped cups out and very gently sanded with 220.
Should I:
    Ride them as is when ready? or.....
    Pour some epoxy into the hole and resettle the pivot cups? or.....
    Try to find a way to access a receipt and contact Ace (pretty sure I burned it and junked the email)?
[close]

I had this happen on my AF1 55's. I sent a pic to ACE through their website and they took care of me. I just told them which shop I got them from and my address. Definitely a lifer because they took care of me.
Thank you, I'll email them.

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1094
« Reply #5918 on: October 10, 2022, 05:55:46 AM »
author=FrankRizzo link=topic=48056.msg3877936#msg3877936 date=1665362416]
My personal con with AF1 is all the nuts that come with it are trash. Swapping them out is the first thing I do. The nuts at a hardware store are much better at staying in place.

Having the axle nuts look like a die solves nothing IMO. The metal is too soft to cut any threads and the reduced thread on thread contact has them loosing up quickly. Gimmicky BS. The kingpin nut is not much better. Super soft and the nylock used sucks.

Have not experienced this at all but I did find an Ace self-tapping nut in the parking lot outside of the skatepark a few weeks ago so maybe you’re onto something.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2022, 08:25:14 AM by manysnakes »
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

FrankRizzo

« Reply #5919 on: October 10, 2022, 08:53:06 PM »
I think what could be going on is since I am novice at tricks but good at riding/pumping is I get much more mileage than most as compared to impact damage.
I imagine impact damage might help hold a nut in place considering the nut is likely deforming around axle thread.

In A Jar

• Rep: 35
    • just say null avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #5920 on: October 11, 2022, 08:03:28 AM »
I also had axle nuts fall off on a brand new set of AF1s on basically every frontside slappy attempt.  I swapped them out for some old venture or thunder ones and they stayed on.

IpathCats

« Reply #5921 on: October 11, 2022, 10:57:50 AM »
cyrus riding aces now? he was in that latest limo vid

hobochimp

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 277
« Reply #5922 on: October 11, 2022, 02:26:27 PM »

I believe he had an ad for them. They definitely posted him.

IpathCats

« Reply #5923 on: October 11, 2022, 08:58:51 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I believe he had an ad for them. They definitely posted him.

Gotcha, I had only ever seen him on indys before that vid.

TerrorizedCivilian

• Rep: 16
« Reply #5924 on: October 12, 2022, 05:15:03 AM »
I was looking around the thread due to my 44 classics kingpins on both trucks becoming really loose recently, is there anything I can do in regards to warranty etc in Europe so I can do something about it?, I know ace has a decent warranty etc but I’m not sure if that would be applicable in Europe?, any thoughts? Thanks.

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 618
« Reply #5925 on: October 12, 2022, 05:55:39 AM »
I was looking around the thread due to my 44 classics kingpins on both trucks becoming really loose recently, is there anything I can do in regards to warranty etc in Europe so I can do something about it?, I know ace has a decent warranty etc but I’m not sure if that would be applicable in Europe?, any thoughts? Thanks.

Their service is just as great in europe, just fill out the warranty stuff on their website.

TerrorizedCivilian

« Reply #5926 on: October 12, 2022, 05:57:54 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Their service is just as great in europe, just fill out the warranty stuff on their website.

Cheers for the reply, will do it now.

Clock3rs

• Rep: 2
« Reply #5927 on: October 17, 2022, 07:28:30 AM »
Hey there. Any input for hollow kingpins that fit af1 55s? I recently bought the non hollow version and thought about putting off some minor weight by changing the kingpins

Bumba

• Rep: 32
« Reply #5928 on: October 17, 2022, 10:55:09 AM »
On my first set of classics and the kingpin bolt will shift around on its own during a session. I marked the bolts when they were stock. After a session one loosens up half a turn and the other tightens up a quarter. Anyone else experienced this? Keeps happening.

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5929 on: October 17, 2022, 02:28:58 PM »
On my first set of classics and the kingpin bolt will shift around on its own during a session. I marked the bolts when they were stock. After a session one loosens up half a turn and the other tightens up a quarter. Anyone else experienced this? Keeps happening.

Both kingpins on my Classics came loose and I got Ace to warranty them for some AF1s.

Lee Ralphs Dear Old Mum

« Reply #5930 on: October 17, 2022, 03:23:18 PM »
Enjoy the extra play.

pops

• Rep: 241
« Reply #5931 on: October 17, 2022, 08:53:21 PM »
Anyone skate the classics without risers and ride wheels 55mm and above? I tried it before but just couldn't do it. Are there actually any benefits riding Aces with (less wheelbite?) or without risers (more stable?) ?

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 279
« Reply #5932 on: October 17, 2022, 10:08:01 PM »
I find I don’t get all that good a pop with ace with no risers. Risers get it to almost acceptable.

thanksgiving

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 214
« Reply #5933 on: October 17, 2022, 11:22:55 PM »
I find I don’t get all that good a pop with ace with no risers. Risers get it to almost acceptable.
what size wheels do you use? im using classic 44 with 57mm and its... okay... might try risers.

pops

• Rep: 241
« Reply #5934 on: October 18, 2022, 03:37:41 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
what size wheels do you use? im using classic 44 with 57mm and its... okay... might try risers.

56mm and 1/8 risers.

TerrorizedCivilian

« Reply #5935 on: October 18, 2022, 06:03:30 AM »
Hello, I was wondering how long does it take ace to get back to you after submitting something for warranty as it’s been a week now.

cosmicgypsies

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 626
« Reply #5936 on: October 18, 2022, 06:36:12 AM »
Hello, I was wondering how long does it take ace to get back to you after submitting something for warranty as it’s been a week now.

ace hit me back within a day or two, had a replacement set at my local shop a couple days after, nothing but good things to say about their rma process especially when theyre US based whereas I'm in the UK and got a pretty quick turnaround on it all

TerrorizedCivilian

« Reply #5937 on: October 18, 2022, 06:51:51 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

ace hit me back within a day or two, had a replacement set at my local shop a couple days after, nothing but good things to say about their rma process especially when theyre US based whereas I'm in the UK and got a pretty quick turnaround on it all

Yeah I have heard good things but might just have to get onto them again as they haven’t gotten back to me.

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5938 on: October 18, 2022, 09:18:31 AM »

I emailed on a Sunday and got a reply Monday, with fresh trucks arriving on Friday (west coast of the US). Some people here have reported that they had to email twice.

I imagine it’s like any desk job where frankly every email you get doesn’t always get read or replied to in a timely manner (sorry, boss).

thanksgiving

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 214
« Reply #5939 on: October 18, 2022, 10:18:17 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

56mm and 1/8 risers.
best riser? i know they make their own but pretty sure only shock pads right?