Author Topic: Ace trucks  (Read 747550 times)

Roisto

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
Re: Ace trucks
« Reply #5940 on: October 18, 2022, 10:21:18 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I find I don’t get all that good a pop with ace with no risers. Risers get it to almost acceptable.
[close]
what size wheels do you use? im using classic 44 with 57mm and its... okay... might try risers.
[close]

56mm and 1/8 risers.
[close]
best riser? i know they make their own but pretty sure only shock pads right?

Real 3ply universal.

Lee Ralphs Dear Old Mum

« Reply #5941 on: October 18, 2022, 10:54:22 AM »
Ace makes an 1/8" hard plastic riser that fits perfect. The Real wooden universal also fit pretty well and easy enough to sand down the tiny bit that sticks out if you think it hurts.

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 279
« Reply #5942 on: October 18, 2022, 11:10:35 AM »
Expand Quote
I find I don’t get all that good a pop with ace with no risers. Risers get it to almost acceptable.
[close]
what size wheels do you use? im using classic 44 with 57mm and its... okay... might try risers.

54mm on my 55 AF1 and 56 on my 66 Classic.

Bumba

• Rep: 32
« Reply #5943 on: October 18, 2022, 04:45:53 PM »
On my first set of classics and the kingpin bolt will shift around on its own during a session. I marked the bolts when they were stock. After a session one loosens up half a turn and the other tightens up a quarter. Anyone else experienced this? Keeps happening.

Just to clarify I actually meant my nuts not the actual kingpin bolt. Don't want to scare anyone off from classics

DeepSpace9mm

• Rep: 100
« Reply #5944 on: October 18, 2022, 05:53:17 PM »
Expand Quote
On my first set of classics and the kingpin bolt will shift around on its own during a session. I marked the bolts when they were stock. After a session one loosens up half a turn and the other tightens up a quarter. Anyone else experienced this? Keeps happening.
[close]

Just to clarify I actually meant my nuts not the actual kingpin bolt. Don't want to scare anyone off from classics

This has happened for me on two sets of AF1 Hollow 66’s.

It’s a good thing I noticed when I did because one of the hangers was about to fall off. When I took it apart to inspect I noticed that the kingpin was shaking around, loose.

Ace had a replacement set on my door within the week after I sent them a video of the issue.

The replacement set has/had the same issue minus the loose kingpin. I also mark the nut with sharpie. Seems to be only the rear truck.
Using stock bushings tightened so 1 or so threads show.

I was considering using blue Loctite but the nut did not come loose the last two times I skated. Maybe the nut is warped or enough now that it’ll stay put.

Still loving the AF1 66 Hollows though and Ace’s quick turn-around on the replacements was rad.

pops

• Rep: 241
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #5945 on: October 18, 2022, 08:00:32 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

56mm and 1/8 risers.
[close]

I use the Ace 1/8 and they're good.

minilogoflow

• Rep: 84
« Reply #5946 on: October 18, 2022, 10:13:43 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

56mm and 1/8 risers.
[close]

I just got some bigger risers for a cruiser board and found that Mini Logo risers and shock pads line up great on the AF1 baseplate.

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 269
« Reply #5947 on: October 18, 2022, 10:19:50 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

That didn’t clarify much. On the contrary, I’m not confused. I didn’t know your nuts could impact the performance of the trucks like that.
I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

FrankRizzo

• Rep: 10
« Reply #5948 on: October 19, 2022, 12:40:18 AM »
In my experience both Thunder and DogTown risers are universal with elongated slots allowing them to fit all brands.
Personally I want risers that are milled out/skeletonized and super hard. DogTown risers have served me well.
OJ Juice Cubes are the worst risers I have tried being that they are heavy, big and mushy.
The last thing I want is any movement/mushiness between the deck and baseplate.
I mount my trucks using washers and split rings to ensure nylock nuts stay tight.

big_kev_215

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 727
« Reply #5949 on: October 19, 2022, 01:37:16 PM »

The Maglights I’ve been skating look like they’re starting to bend so I threw some unskated Ace 44’s that I had sitting around for over a year on my board with the bushings from my last set of 44’s.  Haven’t skated Ace 44 Classics in a while and I must say they might be the best truck.  Wasn’t sure how I’d feel about the red baseplates but I don’t mind how it looks.  Just wanted to shoutout Ace 44 Classics.  Thank you.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2022, 06:42:11 PM by big_kev_215 »

mvdbosch90

• Rep: 20
« Reply #5950 on: October 19, 2022, 01:38:58 PM »
I just had the first short session on my new AF1 55 Hollows. I think these have cured my truck madness. They turn like a dream like the AF1’s, but definitely give a much lighter pop feel than the originals. Despite not having skated in about 2 weeks, my tricks still felt good after warming up a bit :) I skated Indy Titaniums for the lighter weight; even though I liked them, I always felt like riding around on my board was just more fun on Aces. It was just the weight that made tricks more difficult for me as a mediocre skater.
The AF1 Hollows are a perfect combination of the awesome Ace turning while still giving me easier street capabilities.

Argyle

• Rep: 38
« Reply #5951 on: November 03, 2022, 03:39:25 AM »
I'm sure it's in here but there are a hell of a lot of pages to run back through.

I skate 8.38/8.5 occasionally a polar shape so like 8.6/8.7.

Should I get Ace 44 or 55s? Classics not AF1s.

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1028
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #5952 on: November 03, 2022, 04:07:24 AM »
I'm sure it's in here but there are a hell of a lot of pages to run back through.

The Classic 44 is always going to be the better option unless you like a lot of truck overhang on your boards.

Classic 44 are only 8.3" in width so will sit under but the Classic 55 are 9" in width so are way too big for that range.

It is the AF1 55 that are 8.5" width which might suit better, or even look at the AF1 60 which are 8.75" if you wanted a little wider but all Ace trucks seem to have shorter hanger middles with longer axles.

I have the Classic range (all sizes) and AF1 55s but have not seen the AF1 60s in person to check how they line up on boards.  The AF1 55s sit just under an 8.5 so work well on 8.38 and can easily work on bigger boards too.

Classic 44s can work on all those boards you listed, but will sit under a fair bit on the wider options.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Diamond_Dallas_Pudge

• Rep: -46
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #5953 on: November 03, 2022, 05:04:45 AM »

Get the 44 classics there alot of fun and I was just running them on 8.6

Argyle

• Rep: 38
« Reply #5954 on: November 03, 2022, 05:05:42 AM »
 Amazing thank you.

My reason for classics is that I like a 52mm truck so I can use risers to get to the Indy type height) and bigger wheels.

That's the plan anyway.

44s it is. Thanks again!

streetmeat

• Rep: 170
« Reply #5955 on: November 03, 2022, 08:42:42 AM »
AF1 60 Hollow (not low!), where to find  :-[

Lee Ralphs Dear Old Mum

« Reply #5956 on: November 03, 2022, 09:03:24 AM »
Not out yet. The 60s are behind.

kneebone

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 356
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #5957 on: November 03, 2022, 09:14:21 AM »
i'm also anxiously awaiting the hollow 60s. I left a comment on one of their recent ig posts asking for an ETA but they didn't respond

GetItStraitRideKrooked

• Rep: 15
« Reply #5958 on: November 03, 2022, 04:31:30 PM »
I'm finally getting the issue with the axle nuts coming loose on a pair of 44 AF1s I got back in March. I can tighten them all the way with my fingers. They've been put to use though, I recently hit axle on my front truck (slappy crooks for days).

No issues with the 55 Hollow AF1s I recently got, but sure they'll get there with more use.

I think just replacing the axle nuts on my 44s should sort it out though.

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 499
    • FARTPISS DOGCUM avatar image
« Reply #5959 on: November 03, 2022, 06:09:27 PM »
Pop a drop of loctite on em

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #5960 on: November 04, 2022, 06:18:43 PM »
I'm finally getting the issue with the axle nuts coming loose on a pair of 44 AF1s I got back in March. I can tighten them all the way with my fingers. They've been put to use though, I recently hit axle on my front truck (slappy crooks for days).

No issues with the 55 Hollow AF1s I recently got, but sure they'll get there with more use.

I haven't tried but I was thinking more of keeping them as rethreaders if the axle ends need cleaning up.

Normal nuts still work fine on them, which someone had already swapped out on the couple of sets I have - used / recycled.

Diamond_Dallas_Pudge

« Reply #5961 on: November 05, 2022, 04:24:14 AM »
Be careful bros the Hollows are significantly lighter. I just launched my board and nearly twisted my ankle trying to reel that badboy back in.

Already switched back to regular AF1

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 279
« Reply #5962 on: November 05, 2022, 10:31:11 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I haven't tried but I was thinking more of keeping them as rethreaders if the axle ends need cleaning up.

Normal nuts still work fine on them, which someone had already swapped out on the couple of sets I have - used / recycled.

I replaced mine with normal nuts on day 1 before they were even skated. They just seemed gimmicky to me.

Diamond_Dallas_Pudge

« Reply #5963 on: November 06, 2022, 04:14:26 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

I replaced mine with normal nuts on day 1 before they were even skated. They just seemed gimmicky to me.

If I'm reading this correctly are you bros saying your using the red axle rethreader as nuts to hold your wheels on?

Those are not going to hold the wheel on as they are Rethreaders.

Krooked antihero

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 159
« Reply #5964 on: November 06, 2022, 05:10:36 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

If I'm reading this correctly are you bros saying your using the red axle rethreader as nuts to hold your wheels on?

Those are not going to hold the wheel on as they are Rethreaders.
Nah, those af nuts are still nuts, they just have this gimmick that everytime you screw them it works kinda like rethreader. I agree those aren’t good, seen two homies lose them on first session, swap them to regular ones and you’re good to go. Red one is rethreader
europe's like the capitol of england and france and whatever

It sucks getting old.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5965 on: November 06, 2022, 03:29:54 PM »

This shows them very clearly.

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1094
« Reply #5966 on: November 08, 2022, 06:36:01 AM »
This raises a question for me - Could this nut work better with a better, higher quality nylon bushing on the end, or is it doomed because there is not enough engagement from the threads?

My instinct is to say that the self-tapping nut is a gimmick and that a significant amount of the purchase is provided by the threads themselves, but I don't actually know. Any machinists or mech-e folks have a suggestion?

Either way, when I noticed that I could screw these nuts on with my bare hands, I replaced them with four $.15 nuts from the hardware store which perform much better.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

logjammin

• Rep: 336
« Reply #5967 on: November 08, 2022, 07:43:02 AM »
Those .38 specials nuts were the shit if they had some nylock on the ends so they wouldn't fall off

FGO925

• Rep: 20
« Reply #5968 on: November 08, 2022, 10:24:27 AM »
So af1 hollows - the 44 for an 8.25-8.5 board? Or would the 55s be better suited?

An old pair of classics I had were a 44, but I know the sizing on the new AF1’s are a bit different. Grinded those baby’s down to the axle and eventually snapped the hanger a few years back. Such an interesting truck, with the sucked in wb and all.

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1094
« Reply #5969 on: November 08, 2022, 11:20:35 AM »
Either will be fine, but personally I'd go with the 44.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021