Author Topic: Ace trucks  (Read 747494 times)

GetItStraitRideKrooked

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 15
Re: Ace trucks
« Reply #5970 on: November 08, 2022, 01:17:41 PM »
So af1 hollows - the 44 for an 8.25-8.5 board? Or would the 55s be better suited?

An old pair of classics I had were a 44, but I know the sizing on the new AF1’s are a bit different. Grinded those baby’s down to the axle and eventually snapped the hanger a few years back. Such an interesting truck, with the sucked in wb and all.

I run af1 44s on my 8.38" and hollow af1 55s on my 8.5". I'd say go with the 44s if you run more 8.25 - 8.38 decks, but if you're running more 8.38 - 8.5 get the 55s. Everyone's got their own preference, mine is definitely running trucks flush with the deck

FGO925

• Rep: 20
« Reply #5971 on: November 08, 2022, 01:18:15 PM »
Sweet. In the next few months or if anything goes on sale this month I’m gonna grab some af1’s. Have a solid quiver rn and I love switching to a different board at the end of a sesh to have some fun.

I guess the question is just which AF1 size is closest to a 149.

GetItStraitRideKrooked

• Rep: 15
« Reply #5972 on: November 08, 2022, 01:37:16 PM »
Sweet. In the next few months or if anything goes on sale this month I’m gonna grab some af1’s. Have a solid quiver rn and I love switching to a different board at the end of a sesh to have some fun.

I guess the question is just which AF1 size is closest to a 149.

149's are 8.5" axle, so af1 55's would be what you're looking for (also 8.5" axle)

iamok

• Rep: 1
« Reply #5973 on: November 08, 2022, 03:57:26 PM »
So af1 hollows - the 44 for an 8.25-8.5 board? Or would the 55s be better suited?

An old pair of classics I had were a 44, but I know the sizing on the new AF1’s are a bit different. Grinded those baby’s down to the axle and eventually snapped the hanger a few years back. Such an interesting truck, with the sucked in wb and all.

Hager on a af1 55 has the same size as on a classic 44 = 146mm. Af1 55 axle seems to be flush with 8.4-8.5 decks.

Diamond_Dallas_Pudge

• Rep: -46
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #5974 on: November 08, 2022, 04:20:43 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Hager on a af1 55 has the same size as on a classic 44 = 146mm. Af1 55 axle seems to be flush with 8.4-8.5 decks.

Is that true? So the only difference between my 44 classics and 55 AF1 is a slightly longer axel?

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1028
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #5975 on: November 08, 2022, 05:00:45 PM »

I should check the set of Classic 44 and AF1 55s here, but I think the AF1 55s are a little longer in both axle and hanger.

About a mm or two difference on these two sets when compared them, so not much.

Still other differences between the two versions of the trucks though, including geometry, height and price - AF1 both higher and more expensive.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Lee Ralphs Dear Old Mum

« Reply #5976 on: November 08, 2022, 05:09:36 PM »

I should check the set of Classic 44 and AF1 55s here, but I think the AF1 55s are a little longer in both axle and hanger.

About a mm or two difference on these two sets when compared them, so not much.

Still other differences between the two versions of the trucks though, including geometry, height and price - AF1 both higher and more expensive.

That's about it. I think the hangers might be a tiny bit wider on the AF1 55s also. AF1s are heavier but far more durable. I think I prefer the turn of the classics but there is not much in it.

logjammin

• Rep: 336
« Reply #5977 on: November 09, 2022, 09:39:31 AM »
If the classics were more durable I'd still be skating those version 44's for life but after bending axles so many times and breaking the baseplates from slappies, I sleep better knowing my AF1's dont have those problems.

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1094
« Reply #5978 on: November 09, 2022, 09:45:36 AM »
I went straight from Classics to AF-1s and I could not perceive the slightest difference between the trucks.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

BartHarleyJarvis

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1123
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #5979 on: November 09, 2022, 09:52:43 AM »
After my first disappointing experience with Ace AF-1s, I'm dipping back in. I have some 149 indy's that are just about dead that i plan to swap for Ace Af1 55s. I think my expectations were too high initially.

I've actually come to appreciate my AF1s since they got relegated to my cruiser, and I think I sort of "get it" now. Will report back later

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5980 on: November 09, 2022, 10:04:46 AM »
I didn't get the first AF-1s that shipped, so maybe they fixed the problems, but the 44s I'm on now have been more or less the only truck I've skated since the beginning of summer and they have been great. No complaints at all.

BartHarleyJarvis

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1123
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #5981 on: November 09, 2022, 10:08:57 AM »
I didn't get the first AF-1s that shipped, so maybe they fixed the problems, but the 44s I'm on now have been more or less the only truck I've skated since the beginning of summer and they have been great. No complaints at all.

My Af1s really didn't want to grind at first, it took a while to break them in and get them seasoned. I was also coming from Indy Forged Hollows and I forgot how heavy standard trucks were. I ended up moving them off to a cruiser/slappy board with some big ass radial fulls and now I'm having a lot of fun on them. It's a bit of a monster truck but I've got some grooves starting and they grind way better now.

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #5982 on: November 09, 2022, 10:43:18 AM »
The AF1s are excellent trucks. The classics are a bit more special with their slightly easier turn, tighter wheelbase and softer metal but really the difference is very small between them. I’m most likely gonna skate only AF1s after all my classics are done. Skating AF1 55s now and I don’t think about the trucks at all when skating, they’re that good for me.

pops

• Rep: 241
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #5983 on: November 09, 2022, 10:55:46 AM »
If the classics were more durable I'd still be skating those version 44's for life but after bending axles so many times and breaking the baseplates from slappies, I sleep better knowing my AF1's dont have those problems.

Weirdly I never had any issues even though I primarily skated slappies. Almost hit the axles already and still going strong. Third pair going right now.

Diamond_Dallas_Pudge

• Rep: -46
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #5984 on: November 09, 2022, 12:08:37 PM »
The AF1s are excellent trucks. The classics are a bit more special with their slightly easier turn, tighter wheelbase and softer metal but really the difference is very small between them. I’m most likely gonna skate only AF1s after all my classics are done. Skating AF1 55s now and I don’t think about the trucks at all when skating, they’re that good for me.

Well that's it for me bros.

I'm back on the classics.

logjammin

• Rep: 336
« Reply #5985 on: November 09, 2022, 02:10:37 PM »
Raw 44 classics were out of stock at distros for quite a bit and they just hit, checked em out at the local and we were talking about how they look a bit different in the casting, really grainy and extra shiny. One of the long-time employees at the nearby distro was saying something about how they switched factories to Taiwan I think? Take it with a grain of salt.

alraunen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 244
    • www.davidcampillo.net avatar image
« Reply #5986 on: November 18, 2022, 11:21:31 AM »

IpathCats

« Reply #5987 on: November 18, 2022, 11:43:50 AM »

I like this idea if it actually enables not having to use a screwdriver/allen key with little to no extra effort. Simplicity is nice, but i don't see the point in hollow bolts. people break hardware as is, no need to weaken it for weight savings that will not even be noticeable.

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 863
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #5988 on: November 18, 2022, 11:52:37 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I like this idea if it actually enables not having to use a screwdriver/allen key with little to no extra effort. Simplicity is nice, but i don't see the point in hollow bolts. people break hardware as is, no need to weaken it for weight savings that will not even be noticeable.
knowing ace, they probably weigh more than regular hardware
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 678
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #5989 on: November 18, 2022, 12:25:49 PM »
idk if i got a really good set or something but i really like my AF1s never had any problem and they are so silent compared to indy's. dont think i will buy anything but Thunder and Ace from now on

yourbreakfsat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 762
« Reply #5990 on: November 18, 2022, 01:58:22 PM »

kneebone

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 356
« Reply #5991 on: November 18, 2022, 02:10:04 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
Also why would they use a full size nut on a hollow bolt? If one of the main goals here is reduced weight, go with those skinny nuts that Shorty's uses.

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #5992 on: November 18, 2022, 11:32:54 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
[close]
Also why would they use a full size nut on a hollow bolt? If one of the main goals here is reduced weight, go with those skinny nuts that Shorty's uses.

Yeah. Again not the most sensible solution. I once bought Ace hardware. The heads of the bolts are huge, like plates. Never buying those again. Shorty’s and Thunder are great with small heads.

BALARGUE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 615
    • Balargue Skateshop avatar image
« Reply #5993 on: November 19, 2022, 05:53:15 AM »
Raw 44 classics were out of stock at distros for quite a bit and they just hit, checked em out at the local and we were talking about how they look a bit different in the casting, really grainy and extra shiny. One of the long-time employees at the nearby distro was saying something about how they switched factories to Taiwan I think? Take it with a grain of salt.

Classics made in China, cheaper
AF-1 made in Taiwan, higher production standards

Fartknocker415

• Rep: -45
« Reply #5994 on: November 30, 2022, 10:12:42 AM »
Skating af1 44 on 8.38 board.... Will it be bad? Would 55 be better??

IpathCats

« Reply #5995 on: November 30, 2022, 10:13:49 AM »

will work just fine.

I prefer 8.5 trucks on 8.38 boards, but 8.25 will work fine

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 618
« Reply #5996 on: November 30, 2022, 10:23:37 AM »

If both are an option, yes the 55 would be more appropriate I guess. If you already have the 44s, stop thinking about it. Doesn't matter at all. Such a small difference, and even skating an 8.5 with 8.25 trucks is super nice.
Flip tricks will be easier this way, go catch em all

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 856
« Reply #5997 on: November 30, 2022, 10:25:20 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
[close]
[close]

Yeah. Again not the most sensible solution. I once bought Ace hardware. The heads of the bolts are huge, like plates. Never buying those again. Shorty’s and Thunder are great with small heads.
Could it possibly need the thicker nut to putt the hardware thru the wood? Don't think it would make much difference at all but maybe. Maybe the heads have to be bigger for the ridges to dig in more, altho I used to have randoms and don't remember them being big. Don't think it needs an Allen key slot tho. A cool point of difference could of been just a round hole in top

Fartknocker415

• Rep: -45
« Reply #5998 on: November 30, 2022, 10:42:10 AM »
Thanks bros :)

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5999 on: November 30, 2022, 10:42:35 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
[close]
[close]

[close]
Could it possibly need the thicker nut to putt the hardware thru the wood? Don't think it would make much difference at all but maybe. Maybe the heads have to be bigger for the ridges to dig in more, altho I used to have randoms and don't remember them being big. Don't think it needs an Allen key slot tho. A cool point of difference could of been just a round hole in top

Grind King Rocket Bolts aren't hollow, but don't include any kind of slot for a tool. Agreed that hollow bolts straight through would be interesting.