Author Topic: Ace trucks  (Read 743381 times)

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 979
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
Re: Ace trucks
« Reply #6060 on: January 12, 2023, 10:56:54 AM »
Inverted kingpin most likely in the not so distant future:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CnMtKHGr9ud/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

It will be very interesting to see if ACE (or DLX) do something different than what's out there seeing as everyone is using the same system (hex/allen hybrid with a threaded shaft nut combo).

the_sandlot

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 6
« Reply #6061 on: January 12, 2023, 11:24:53 AM »
Expand Quote
Probably a dumb performance question but anyone here hotrodded an 8.5 on some classic 55s? Is it too fucked, or is it more than adequate? How did normal flip tricks, grinds and the like feel?

Done the old Indy 149s on an 8.25 and didn’t notice a thing but just wanted to see if the slappers had gone the full half inch with the premier skateboard truck before as I know classic 44s were the most minuscule under 8.38 and that seems to bug heads.

[close]

Legend, thanks!

Richard Skidder

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 443
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #6062 on: January 13, 2023, 03:30:56 PM »
Just over two weeks on my AF1 44s and the turn is starting to stabilize a bit so I loosened them up slightly and now they’re feeling great. It took me a bit to get used to the weight coming from Thunder lights and I’m still getting used to it. My pop is more controlled and consistent on these so far. Everything pops more level for me on the Ace so I’m into it. A few more grinds and the weight should become a non issue soon. I did switch to my Thunders for a session but my pop wasn’t as good and I really like the Ace turn right now. No clicking or clacking yet and axle nuts are staying snug. Keep swerving Gs!

slappyjoes

• Rep: 38
« Reply #6063 on: January 14, 2023, 09:55:40 PM »
How do flip tricks feel on aces tempted to try out some hollows

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 614
« Reply #6064 on: January 15, 2023, 10:14:23 AM »

What kind of answer are you expecting here? They feel like flip tricks. Pretty nice if you stomp it bolts

slappyjoes

• Rep: 38
« Reply #6065 on: January 15, 2023, 02:24:13 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

What kind of answer are you expecting here? They feel like flip tricks. Pretty nice if you stomp it bolts

Heard some people mention aces make their flips feel soggy and others say they dont notice anything

Richard Skidder

• Rep: 443
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #6066 on: January 15, 2023, 02:31:59 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Heard some people mention aces make their flips feel soggy and others say they dont notice anything

I have some rocketing on my kick flips but I’m also not skating hollows.

jimgrude

• Rep: 67
« Reply #6067 on: January 15, 2023, 03:45:19 PM »
I'm used to really turny trucks, but I still felt that Aces made most flip tricks slightly harder. I loved riding them, but slowly realized that setting up for tricks and getting the right takeoff felt a bit off and I wasn't getting used to it. They also don't pinch very good.

I've read several tech skaters having a similar experience with Ace. They're a fucking blast to ride and make everything feel fun to pull off, but eventually you have to admit that you don't skate as well on them.

toe_knee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 210
  • Get bent
« Reply #6068 on: January 17, 2023, 08:19:35 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
I'm used to really turny trucks, but I still felt that Aces made most flip tricks slightly harder. I loved riding them, but slowly realized that setting up for tricks and getting the right takeoff felt a bit off and I wasn't getting used to it. They also don't pinch very good.

I've read several tech skaters having a similar experience with Ace. They're a fucking blast to ride and make everything feel fun to pull off, but eventually you have to admit that you don't skate as well on them.

If you’re worried about being able to get tech I suggest the lows, same surfy feel but quicker pop and you don’t feel like your trying a trick on a high wire, been skating them for about 6 months now, prolly gonna get a hollow hanger so I can switch out the one I’m using now, that’s one thing I have noticed is that ace seems to use a softer metal than venture or what I was used to, I feel like I’m going through truck hangers faster
You want some queso?”
Dan Drehobl to me at make a wish, while handing me a hotdog

IpathCats

« Reply #6069 on: January 17, 2023, 09:25:07 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

If you’re worried about being able to get tech I suggest the lows, same surfy feel but quicker pop and you don’t feel like your trying a trick on a high wire, been skating them for about 6 months now, prolly gonna get a hollow hanger so I can switch out the one I’m using now, that’s one thing I have noticed is that ace seems to use a softer metal than venture or what I was used to, I feel like I’m going through truck hangers faster

Classics are softer than the AF1's just so you know.

Had a buddy (older street oriented skater) swap from the highs to the lows recently, he loves them.

kneebone

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 348
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #6070 on: January 17, 2023, 09:35:07 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Had a buddy (older street oriented skater) swap from the highs to the lows recently, he loves them.
I'm also a convert from the classics to the AF1 Lows and love them, but the wheelbite is real. Just got a set of the AF1 Hollows so I'm eager to see how they feel but the weather isn't cooperating

IpathCats

« Reply #6071 on: January 17, 2023, 09:36:50 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]
I'm also a convert from the classics to the AF1 Lows and love them, but the wheelbite is real. Just got a set of the AF1 Hollows so I'm eager to see how they feel but the weather isn't cooperating

yea, he def noticed that as well and ordered some smaller wheels than what he was riding previously.

kneebone

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 348
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #6072 on: January 17, 2023, 09:42:49 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]

yea, he def noticed that as well and ordered some smaller wheels than what he was riding previously.
And I’m on 50mm lil smokies! Haha. I figure if I don’t like the added height of the new hollows I can just swap the hollow hanger onto the low baseplate and voila, just saved myself some ounces and kept the same geometry

intendedreceivers

• Rep: 204
« Reply #6073 on: January 17, 2023, 11:22:04 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]
And I’m on 50mm lil smokies! Haha. I figure if I don’t like the added height of the new hollows I can just swap the hollow hanger onto the low baseplate and voila, just saved myself some ounces and kept the same geometry

For what it’s worth, I’ve been liking the hard bushings in the Lows (60 Lows on a Huffer). There’s a point where you can get the turn and lean to feel a lot like the regular bushings, but the hards give a little resistance at the end to curb the wheelbite.

somedudefromnj

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 74
« Reply #6074 on: January 18, 2023, 06:11:49 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

yeah I couldnt flip my board anymore and decided to try out ventures, but all of the other trucks just dont turn as well as aces. To lose a few flip tricks for a bit was worth it to me. Just spend the time and relearn them and update that muscle memory I guess

may try the lows as someone else mentioned though. I must admit I am curious

Lol. Eldee is definitely a human. He’s like a raider on horse back who’s kinda scared to do battle. Somehow he closes his eyes and swings his sword wildly and wakes up in a pile of dead orcs.

Scholesey

• Rep: 24
« Reply #6075 on: January 18, 2023, 11:44:23 AM »
Any ace pilots here that use the 1/8” risers with the AF1s? And if you do, what’s the reason?
« Last Edit: January 18, 2023, 12:28:52 PM by Scholesey »

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #6076 on: January 18, 2023, 12:25:55 PM »
Any ace pilots here that use the 1/8” with the AF1s? And if you do, what’s the reason?

The 1/8”? What do you mean? Risers?

Scholesey

« Reply #6077 on: January 18, 2023, 12:28:28 PM »
Expand Quote
Any ace pilots here that use the 1/8” with the AF1s? And if you do, what’s the reason?
[close]

Oh, my bad. Yeah ofc risers, I’m gonna edit the post.

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6078 on: January 18, 2023, 12:54:41 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Yeah, I run 1/8” risers on all my Aces, classics and AF1s. Initially I did it for wheel clearance skating some 58mm wheels but as they wore down to 50mm I still liked how the setup felt so I kept them on. Then when I changed to my usual 54mm wheels I still ran the risers and liked it.

I’ve tried several decks without the risers and I always end up putting them back on because I like the pop feel better with the risers. There are some decks which have not worked for me with risers though. The Polar P2 is one example but I didn’t like that board anyway.

Scholesey

« Reply #6079 on: January 18, 2023, 01:01:58 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Yeah, I run 1/8” risers on all my Aces, classics and AF1s. Initially I did it for wheel clearance skating some 58mm wheels but as they wore down to 50mm I still liked how the setup felt so I kept them on. Then when I changed to my usual 54mm wheels I still ran the risers and liked it.

I’ve tried several decks without the risers and I always end up putting them back on because I like the pop feel better with the risers. There are some decks which have not worked for me with risers though. The Polar P2 is one example but I didn’t like that board anyway.

Thanks for the reply, I’m thinking about putting them on.

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6080 on: January 19, 2023, 01:04:48 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

It’s definitely worth a try if you feel like it might be interesting. Risers are cheap and it’s not much trouble installing them. I like the Real wooden 3 ply risers best myself. I haven’t tested the Ace risers though.

Scholesey

« Reply #6081 on: January 19, 2023, 01:16:37 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

It’s definitely worth a try if you feel like it might be interesting. Risers are cheap and it’s not much trouble installing them. I like the Real wooden 3 ply risers best myself. I haven’t tested the Ace risers though.

Actually, I did use the Ace ones before, when my 56mm Conical wides were fresh, but now they are like 53mm and honestly I can’t remember if I liked it or not. I’m mainly worried about the truck geometry tho.

logjammin

• Rep: 326
« Reply #6082 on: January 19, 2023, 07:01:26 AM »
Risers are a must for me, I need to maximize that turn as much as possible but I don't go any more than 1/8" tall.

IpathCats

« Reply #6083 on: January 19, 2023, 07:03:00 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Actually, I did use the Ace ones before, when my 56mm Conical wides were fresh, but now they are like 53mm and honestly I can’t remember if I liked it or not. I’m mainly worried about the truck geometry tho.

I run 1/8" risers on my setups with Aces. I feel like they need them to suit my preferences, mostly a pop feel thing. But the added height helps you get the most out of the turn too.

I prefer the rubber risers and i tighten them a good bit so they compress a little.

Gives me closer to an indy standard height, which is what my regular board is. Aces on the cruisers.

Wafools

• Rep: 42
« Reply #6084 on: January 19, 2023, 07:09:38 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

I run 1/8" risers on my setups with Aces. I feel like they need them to suit my preferences, mostly a pop feel thing. But the added height helps you get the most out of the turn too.

I prefer the rubber risers and i tighten them a good bit so they compress a little.

Gives me closer to an indy standard height, which is what my regular board is. Aces on the cruisers.

This is me too. I just stared skating af1’s with the ace risers and it makes them feel kind of more like an Indy but with the ace turn. I keep going back and forth between Indy and ace. I noticed a ton of the polar guys who skate ace skate them with risers and so I wanted to give it a try since I pretty much skate polar 8.5s. The height for sure feels more like an Indy and I’m used to that but the turn is an ace and I like that. I did have to tighten them up about a half turn to not feel too tippy but I was running them pretty loose.

Scholesey

« Reply #6085 on: January 19, 2023, 08:41:40 AM »
Well guys, I’ve decided to put the risers on. This setup finally cured my madness. Just a month later than I wanted, but it was worth it. See ya at the setup thread🫡. Thanks!

Wafools

« Reply #6086 on: January 19, 2023, 09:02:45 AM »
Well guys, I’ve decided to put the risers on. This setup finally cured my madness. Just a month later than I wanted, but it was worth it. See ya at the setup thread🫡. Thanks!

Haha. Kinda right?!  It kinda filled that need of an Indy but an ace. Well till those stage 4s come out so I’ll see you in the gear madness thread. 😂

Scholesey

« Reply #6087 on: January 19, 2023, 09:12:31 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Haha. Kinda right?!  It kinda filled that need of an Indy but an ace. Well till those stage 4s come out so I’ll see you in the gear madness thread. 😂

Daaaaaamn, that’s ruthless! 😀

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6088 on: January 19, 2023, 10:49:55 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

The geometry won’t change with the risers. You can just get more turn before you wheelbite, no matter what size wheels you have. I think it’s just perfect.

Wafools

« Reply #6089 on: January 19, 2023, 11:01:36 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Daaaaaamn, that’s ruthless! 😀

Haha. Sorry. I don’t mean it like that. I shouldn’t project my ocd to other people on the internet. 😂
I mean i do like them with risers and if it stays good I probably won’t change. 🤷‍♂️