Author Topic: Ace trucks  (Read 739412 times)

Scholesey

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 24
Re: Ace trucks
« Reply #6090 on: January 19, 2023, 11:26:00 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Well guys, I’ve decided to put the risers on. This setup finally cured my madness. Just a month later than I wanted, but it was worth it. See ya at the setup thread🫡. Thanks!
[close]

Haha. Kinda right?!  It kinda filled that need of an Indy but an ace. Well till those stage 4s come out so I’ll see you in the gear madness thread. 😂
[close]

Daaaaaamn, that’s ruthless! 😀
[close]

Haha. Sorry. I don’t mean it like that. I shouldn’t project my ocd to other people on the internet. 😂
I mean i do like them with risers and if it stays good I probably won’t change. 🤷‍♂️

It’s all good😸. I hope you find what you like the most.

Scholesey

« Reply #6091 on: January 19, 2023, 11:28:12 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Any ace pilots here that use the 1/8” with the AF1s? And if you do, what’s the reason?
[close]

The 1/8”? What do you mean? Risers?
[close]

Oh, my bad. Yeah ofc risers, I’m gonna edit the post.
[close]

Yeah, I run 1/8” risers on all my Aces, classics and AF1s. Initially I did it for wheel clearance skating some 58mm wheels but as they wore down to 50mm I still liked how the setup felt so I kept them on. Then when I changed to my usual 54mm wheels I still ran the risers and liked it.

I’ve tried several decks without the risers and I always end up putting them back on because I like the pop feel better with the risers. There are some decks which have not worked for me with risers though. The Polar P2 is one example but I didn’t like that board anyway.
[close]

Thanks for the reply, I’m thinking about putting them on.
[close]

It’s definitely worth a try if you feel like it might be interesting. Risers are cheap and it’s not much trouble installing them. I like the Real wooden 3 ply risers best myself. I haven’t tested the Ace risers though.
[close]

Actually, I did use the Ace ones before, when my 56mm Conical wides were fresh, but now they are like 53mm and honestly I can’t remember if I liked it or not. I’m mainly worried about the truck geometry tho.
[close]

The geometry won’t change with the risers. You can just get more turn before you wheelbite, no matter what size wheels you have. I think it’s just perfect.

Yeah, went with them and it’s super good. Thank you!

LebowskisRug

« Reply #6092 on: January 19, 2023, 03:33:35 PM »
New Thrasher has a Penny check out and his sponsor list includes Ace now.

Scholesey

« Reply #6093 on: January 19, 2023, 09:11:41 PM »

mynameisnotjeff

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 582
« Reply #6094 on: January 19, 2023, 09:20:36 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

There's some young ripper out there killing it and flow that didn't get the bump for this.
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

IpathCats

« Reply #6095 on: January 20, 2023, 05:29:15 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

There's some young ripper out there killing it and flow that didn't get the bump for this.

I'm sure Tom Penny will bring them more sales than whatever person that may be, and that person is still getting free trucks on flow lol.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #6096 on: January 20, 2023, 06:52:00 AM »
I'm still amazed Ghetto Child is in business. There's no way they sell enough wheels to recoup costs.

intendedreceivers

• Rep: 204
« Reply #6097 on: January 21, 2023, 05:58:31 PM »
Size chart on the new Ace/Mesa Dist. site has an AF1 80 listed. Can’t remember if that was talked about here, but would seem to indicate it’s coming soon.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #6098 on: January 21, 2023, 06:09:44 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Any ace pilots here that use the 1/8” with the AF1s? And if you do, what’s the reason?
[close]

[close]

[close]

Yeah, I run 1/8” risers on all my Aces, classics and AF1s. Initially I did it for wheel clearance skating some 58mm wheels but as they wore down to 50mm I still liked how the setup felt so I kept them on. Then when I changed to my usual 54mm wheels I still ran the risers and liked it.

I’ve tried several decks without the risers and I always end up putting them back on because I like the pop feel better with the risers. There are some decks which have not worked for me with risers though. The Polar P2 is one example but I didn’t like that board anyway.
[close]

Jordan Trahan runs them on lows. Hit up his IG and ask why.

yourbreakfsat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 752
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #6099 on: January 21, 2023, 06:40:55 PM »
Size chart on the new Ace/Mesa Dist. site has an AF1 80 listed. Can’t remember if that was talked about here, but would seem to indicate it’s coming soon.

215 users dying from orgasming rn

mynameisnotjeff

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 582
« Reply #6100 on: January 21, 2023, 08:58:08 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

215 users dying from orgasming rn

Just like the trucks.
Thunder 181 fans are nowhere to be found
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

logjammin

• Rep: 314
« Reply #6101 on: January 24, 2023, 05:55:40 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Jordan Trahan runs them on lows. Hit up his IG and ask why.

I run the lows with 1/8" risers. Kingpin clearance is better than hi's and it brings the height up to 52mm while shrinking the wheelbase to feel like Ace classics.

toe_knee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 202
  • Get bent
« Reply #6102 on: January 24, 2023, 08:04:44 AM »
I run the lows, with the hard bushings, and no risers on 52mm teardrop loopholes, I definitely get some wheelbite, but it’s tolerable. Mind you I’m not skating drops or big ass sets but I can backside flip the 5 star at the park and ride away, I can’t deal with risers
You want some queso?”
Dan Drehobl to me at make a wish, while handing me a hotdog

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 609
« Reply #6103 on: January 24, 2023, 08:08:04 AM »
It's crazy but AF1 lows on risers are probably my favorite mid-high trucks. Just like ace classics but without the axle bending

kneebone

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 342
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #6104 on: January 24, 2023, 08:17:18 AM »
Speaking of Ace heights, has this been discussed that their official size chart for classics is wildly off? It says the Classics are 2.5" high, which they say is 55mm, but the true conversion is 63.5mm.  All of their height conversions from inches to mm on the other models are correct tho. I was trying to gauge how much lower the AF1s were compared to the classics, and quickly realized something was wrong. Anyone know which figure is correct? Is the 2.5" correct, or is the 55mm correct? 

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6105 on: January 24, 2023, 08:21:11 AM »
Speaking of Ace heights, has this been discussed that their official size chart for classics is wildly off? It says the Classics are 2.5" high, which they say is 55mm, but the true conversion is 63.5mm.  All of their height conversions from inches to mm on the other models are correct tho. I was trying to gauge how much lower the AF1s were compared to the classics, and quickly realized something was wrong. Anyone know which figure is correct? Is the 2.5" correct, or is the 55mm correct? 

My af1 and classics were all 53mm high. Some people claim classics are 52mm but mine were not.

Also never trust any measurement ace releases. Height, weight, everything is wrong (sometimes)

jimgrude

• Rep: 66
« Reply #6106 on: January 24, 2023, 04:21:42 PM »
Can confirm that my classics are 52mm. There's never been a 55mm Ace.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 975
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #6107 on: January 24, 2023, 05:32:05 PM »

I thought the initial Classics were 52mm and the AF1 were 53mm tall, but when comparing them to other trucks and each other, they seem about the same - Thunder cast are a touch lower, Venture cast are a touch taller, Indy cast way taller.

That makes them between 52 and 53 as initially listed, not the current charts.

Interesting either way, but not something I would really get too hung up on.

Those size / height charts are pretty funny though.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Lou Strux

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2157
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
« Reply #6108 on: January 24, 2023, 08:35:37 PM »
Anybody gonna DM them on insta (like a man) & ask them what’s what with their wacky size chart?

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1117
« Reply #6109 on: January 25, 2023, 05:22:27 AM »
Anybody gonna DM them on insta (like a man) & ask them what’s what with their wacky size chart?

I’d rather we crowdfund a pair of digital calipers for one of our Pal shop folk.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 652
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #6110 on: January 25, 2023, 06:39:29 AM »
I run the lows, with the hard bushings, and no risers on 52mm teardrop loopholes, I definitely get some wheelbite, but it’s tolerable. Mind you I’m not skating drops or big ass sets but I can backside flip the 5 star at the park and ride away, I can’t deal with risers

so if i set up my normal AF1 with 52mm or smaller, i will probably never get wheelbite?
i am on 58mm right now lol i can skate stairs but get bodied sometimes
ONTARIO CANADA

toe_knee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 202
  • Get bent
« Reply #6111 on: January 25, 2023, 08:14:30 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

so if i set up my normal AF1 with 52mm or smaller, i will probably never get wheelbite?

Ya know I started thinking about this statement after I posted it and thought, well you skate 52mm on the lows without risers but your also 160lbs tops soaking wet, you prolly shouldn’t get into it with these grown ass men and their trucks lol, yea I mean I skate low impact shit mostly but I can keep myself from catching wheelbite
You want some queso?”
Dan Drehobl to me at make a wish, while handing me a hotdog

WorldsbestWeedsm0ker

• Rep: -158
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #6112 on: January 25, 2023, 08:48:49 AM »
Can’t find this question being answered anywhere so sorry if this a repeat - j got some af1s and my front truck makes this crazy ticking sound when I turn sometimes it sounds like a pop.
waved and warped
RIP fugluk (Tristan)

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 705
« Reply #6113 on: January 25, 2023, 08:58:39 AM »
The clicking typically goes away after the trucks break in. Some people have struggled with this. I've had a few sets of AF1s and they clicked for a session or two but are fine now. New trucks suck.

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #6114 on: January 25, 2023, 09:54:21 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Not sure where the limit actually is but I still got wheelbite on ~50 mm wheels on standard AF1s with 1/8" risers. It's just that with Aces the wheelbite is never a surprise for me like it is with Indys so I don't mind at all and once you're wheelbiting you're turning more than you'll ever be able to with any other truck.

If you want trucks that don't wheelbite get Krux. They suck in every aspect but I could not get them to wheelbite no matter what with 54 mm wheels and no risers.

switchfrontshuv

• Rep: 47
« Reply #6115 on: January 25, 2023, 11:15:59 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Not sure where the limit actually is but I still got wheelbite on ~50 mm wheels on standard AF1s with 1/8" risers. It's just that with Aces the wheelbite is never a surprise for me like it is with Indys so I don't mind at all and once you're wheelbiting you're turning more than you'll ever be able to with any other truck.

If you want trucks that don't wheelbite get Krux. They suck in every aspect but I could not get them to wheelbite no matter what with 54 mm wheels and no risers.

Damn i went from ace to thunder to venture to indy and the random wheelbite thing is so true. Might be cuz i have big wheels rn but it confuses me how i can u-turn without wheelbite but as soon as i actually do tricks its noticable and scope-limiting

IpathCats

« Reply #6116 on: January 26, 2023, 09:37:24 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Damn i went from ace to thunder to venture to indy and the random wheelbite thing is so true. Might be cuz i have big wheels rn but it confuses me how i can u-turn without wheelbite but as soon as i actually do tricks its noticable and scope-limiting

I would guess this is because you use more force when popping/landing tricks than just turning, and since ACE's turn so quickly/easily that difference in force is all it takes to cause wheelbite. I have a similar experience with ACE's. Fun trucks, i love riding around on them, ollies/grinds are fine, but my consistency goes out the door as soon as i start trying other tricks.

FGO925

• Rep: 20
« Reply #6117 on: January 26, 2023, 12:24:44 PM »
What are the biggest differences between the OG ace, and the AF1?

I know the sizing is different, but does it change the wb any different/different turn geo/ride height?

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 705
« Reply #6118 on: January 26, 2023, 12:30:31 PM »
Aside from sizing, the biggest difference the aluminum. Feels way denser and lasts way longer. Its s bit heavier but probably a lot stronger. Some people think there is a tiny bit of difference in geometry, which also makes the wheelbase a fraction longer but I'm not sure about this. For whatever reason the classics feel and turn slightly better for me but AF1s are worth it due to the better sizing (I love an 8.75" truck) and better materials.

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6119 on: January 26, 2023, 12:38:18 PM »
What are the biggest differences between the OG ace, and the AF1?

I know the sizing is different, but does it change the wb any different/different turn geo/ride height?

If you want classic geometry on AF1 quality, get the AF1 lows with riser pads. Amazing trucks with more kingpin clearance than AF1 standards for some reason