Author Topic: Ace trucks  (Read 743353 times)

LebowskisRug

Re: Ace trucks
« Reply #6120 on: January 26, 2023, 02:24:20 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Any ace pilots here that use the 1/8” with the AF1s? And if you do, what’s the reason?
[close]

The 1/8”? What do you mean? Risers?
[close]

Oh, my bad. Yeah ofc risers, I’m gonna edit the post.
[close]

Yeah, I run 1/8” risers on all my Aces, classics and AF1s. Initially I did it for wheel clearance skating some 58mm wheels but as they wore down to 50mm I still liked how the setup felt so I kept them on. Then when I changed to my usual 54mm wheels I still ran the risers and liked it.

I’ve tried several decks without the risers and I always end up putting them back on because I like the pop feel better with the risers. There are some decks which have not worked for me with risers though. The Polar P2 is one example but I didn’t like that board anyway.
[close]

Thanks for the reply, I’m thinking about putting them on.
[close]

Jordan Trahan runs them on lows. Hit up his IG and ask why.
[close]

I run the lows with 1/8" risers. Kingpin clearance is better than hi's and it brings the height up to 52mm while shrinking the wheelbase to feel like Ace classics.

I DM'ed him and he doesn't run them anymore only did for that video. That doesn't really make sense to me isn't the WB of the lows the same?

LebowskisRug

« Reply #6121 on: January 26, 2023, 02:25:33 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I run the lows, with the hard bushings, and no risers on 52mm teardrop loopholes, I definitely get some wheelbite, but it’s tolerable. Mind you I’m not skating drops or big ass sets but I can backside flip the 5 star at the park and ride away, I can’t deal with risers
[close]

so if i set up my normal AF1 with 52mm or smaller, i will probably never get wheelbite?
i am on 58mm right now lol i can skate stairs but get bodied sometimes
[close]

Not sure where the limit actually is but I still got wheelbite on ~50 mm wheels on standard AF1s with 1/8" risers. It's just that with Aces the wheelbite is never a surprise for me like it is with Indys so I don't mind at all and once you're wheelbiting you're turning more than you'll ever be able to with any other truck.

If you want trucks that don't wheelbite get Krux. They suck in every aspect but I could not get them to wheelbite no matter what with 54 mm wheels and no risers.
[close]

Damn i went from ace to thunder to venture to indy and the random wheelbite thing is so true. Might be cuz i have big wheels rn but it confuses me how i can u-turn without wheelbite but as soon as i actually do tricks its noticable and scope-limiting
[close]

I would guess this is because you use more force when popping/landing tricks than just turning, and since ACE's turn so quickly/easily that difference in force is all it takes to cause wheelbite. I have a similar experience with ACE's. Fun trucks, i love riding around on them, ollies/grinds are fine, but my consistency goes out the door as soon as i start trying other tricks.

Every time I see an Ace pro in real life they have like 2 threads showing minimum cuz of this "feature"

IpathCats

« Reply #6122 on: January 27, 2023, 05:54:50 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I run the lows, with the hard bushings, and no risers on 52mm teardrop loopholes, I definitely get some wheelbite, but it’s tolerable. Mind you I’m not skating drops or big ass sets but I can backside flip the 5 star at the park and ride away, I can’t deal with risers
[close]

so if i set up my normal AF1 with 52mm or smaller, i will probably never get wheelbite?
[close]

Not sure where the limit actually is but I still got wheelbite on ~50 mm wheels on standard AF1s with 1/8" risers. It's just that with Aces the wheelbite is never a surprise for me like it is with Indys so I don't mind at all and once you're wheelbiting you're turning more than you'll ever be able to with any other truck.

If you want trucks that don't wheelbite get Krux. They suck in every aspect but I could not get them to wheelbite no matter what with 54 mm wheels and no risers.
[close]

Damn i went from ace to thunder to venture to indy and the random wheelbite thing is so true. Might be cuz i have big wheels rn but it confuses me how i can u-turn without wheelbite but as soon as i actually do tricks its noticable and scope-limiting
[close]

I would guess this is because you use more force when popping/landing tricks than just turning, and since ACE's turn so quickly/easily that difference in force is all it takes to cause wheelbite. I have a similar experience with ACE's. Fun trucks, i love riding around on them, ollies/grinds are fine, but my consistency goes out the door as soon as i start trying other tricks.
[close]

Every time I see an Ace pro in real life they have like 2 threads showing minimum cuz of this "feature"

almost flush on my zip zinger. 2 threads on my larger cruiser.

I guess their geo/turning characteristics could be considered a "feature" of their design.

goodatmeth

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 614
« Reply #6123 on: January 27, 2023, 06:14:20 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

I'm only 60kg/130pounds, have 1-2 threads showing and they're medium I guess. So yeah the kingpin could just be shorter, but those guys aren't riding them tight.

Deadringer

• Rep: 12
« Reply #6124 on: February 01, 2023, 09:18:49 AM »
Size chart on the new Ace/Mesa Dist. site has an AF1 80 listed. Can’t remember if that was talked about here, but would seem to indicate it’s coming soon.

JimmyFive

• Rep: 51
« Reply #6125 on: February 02, 2023, 10:14:58 PM »
This is my Ace hack for super surfy trucks. After a lot of experimenting I came upon this combo:

Riptide KranK longboard barrel 90a with no bottom washer. Riptide Krank 93a short street cone with cupped washer.

Kept the top bushing harder than the bottom to help with wheel bite. I also run Riptide 96a pivots. Such a surfy ride and keeps the original geometry.

Bror

• Rep: 23
« Reply #6126 on: February 04, 2023, 03:06:45 AM »
Anyone know if indy risers/ shockpads fit aces? Having a hard time finding ace shock pads..

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 285
« Reply #6127 on: February 04, 2023, 03:44:03 AM »
Anyone know if indy risers/ shockpads fit aces? Having a hard time finding ace shock pads..

No, they stick out a bit
I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1019
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #6128 on: February 04, 2023, 03:42:15 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

No, they stick out a bit

If you get the rubber ones, not the hard plastic ones, you can easily cut them down to fit nicely under the trucks with either a decent pair of scissors or a blade.

I think others have said the Mini Logo ones might fit the best under everything, the .1" pads with the elongated holes to fit anything, but it just depends what you have available in whatever area you are in.

Ace baseplates are a little shorter than Indy and Venture and a bit more in between the Indy / Venture and Thunder hole pattern.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

bombsaway86

• Rep: 160
« Reply #6129 on: February 05, 2023, 09:09:17 AM »

They don’t fit. They are too long on one side and not long enough on the other side. It ends up being staggered like the diagram below:

____ truck
  ____ riser

The real veganshawn

• Rep: 94
  • What the fuck was that
« Reply #6130 on: February 07, 2023, 09:56:13 PM »
Anyone have issue with their kingpin nut coming lose on the hollows?
« Last Edit: February 09, 2023, 09:58:49 PM by The real veganshawn »
Cocteau Twins

DeepSpace9mm

• Rep: 100
« Reply #6131 on: February 07, 2023, 10:55:31 PM »
Anyone have issue with their kingpin nut coming lose I'm the hollows?

I did. Check your kingpin. Mine was loose.

jimgrude

• Rep: 67
« Reply #6132 on: February 07, 2023, 11:27:15 PM »
Expand Quote
Anyone have issue with their kingpin nut coming lose I'm the hollows?
[close]

I did. Check your kingpin. Mine was loose.

Yeah, it's definitely a thing. My kingpin was loose forever and it was driving me nuts. Turns out it was the kingpin that was loose. I should have known.

IpathCats

« Reply #6133 on: February 08, 2023, 05:05:10 AM »
How many of you ace riders are likely to try the new Indy stage 4 reissues?

Was talking about this overlap in the Indy thread and I was just curious.

I assume most people that ride Aces don't really want to try something else, but I thought the similarities in geometry might have piqued some of your interests

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 673
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #6134 on: February 08, 2023, 07:51:46 AM »
i think i said this before;
I feel like when i want to go straight, indy's feel squirrley and unpredictable when they are loose, where Ace's feel more stable. this is comparing both using indy bushings as well - never used the ace bushings yet.

i definitely ride mine with a thread or two showing and using the medium-hard indy bushings (Blue). they still turn good enough for me. i had them even more cranked for a session in the beginning, but it felt wrong. 1-2 threads feels perfect for me, personally. most people say my board is still way too loose in my area and cant do shit on it.

i find riding the board like this with 58mm wheels it forces me to land my tricks really clean. if i land where i am leaning heavily to either side i will bite so i feel like its actually making my skating BETTER! lol

i feel like if i am getting wheel bite on 47mm that i am going to set up once the snow is gone then that is 100% user error lol. idk how long i will actaually rock those wheels for but who knows maybe it will be really fun for that setup. may end up putting on a smaller F4 if the speed loss is too brutal.

IpathCats

« Reply #6135 on: February 08, 2023, 07:59:36 AM »
i think i said this before;
I feel like when i want to go straight, indy's feel squirrley and unpredictable when they are loose, where Ace's feel more stable. this is comparing both using indy bushings as well - never used the ace bushings yet.

i definitely ride mine with a thread or two showing and using the medium-hard indy bushings (Blue). they still turn good enough for me. i had them even more cranked for a session in the beginning, but it felt wrong. 1-2 threads feels perfect for me, personally. most people say my board is still way too loose in my area and cant do shit on it.

i find riding the board like this with 58mm wheels it forces me to land my tricks really clean. if i land where i am leaning heavily to either side i will bite so i feel like its actually making my skating BETTER! lol

i feel like if i am getting wheel bite on 47mm that i am going to set up once the snow is gone then that is 100% user error lol. idk how long i will actaually rock those wheels for but who knows maybe it will be really fun for that setup. may end up putting on a smaller F4 if the speed loss is too brutal.

The "new" indys are stage 4 reissues, Aces are designed off of old indy geo, they may share some characteristics

Lou Strux

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2190
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
« Reply #6136 on: February 08, 2023, 08:08:51 AM »
Fuck it: I plan on giving the a try.
Will likely wait to pick up at a discount once they hit the sale bins, though. I’m a thrifty son of a mother.  Mark downs are the only way I can justify my mild spending “habit” to myself.

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 763
« Reply #6137 on: February 08, 2023, 08:33:45 AM »

I'll be getting some. I haven't purchased beer in 2023 so far, so I can treat myself to some nostalgic pap. I'm prepared to be underwhelmed and I doubt I will use them to replace Ace and Thunder.  Honestly, I think Ace still look way more eye-pleasing but I am curious about the turn, as my first set of Indys were Stage 4.

Worse case scenario they end up on a Natas reissue I have set up. A good way to support my local on SSD. 151 or 166 is the dilemma.

jsettle

• Rep: 134
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #6138 on: February 08, 2023, 01:21:25 PM »
How do you think i would like ace classics coming from only riding indys the past 20 yrs. Im sizing down to a 8.25 deck and dont want to ride 8.5 trucks so 8.35 trucks seem like the best bet for me. Since classics come in that size im thinking of finally giving aces a try.

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1101
« Reply #6139 on: February 08, 2023, 01:31:09 PM »
How do you think i would like ace classics coming from only riding indys the past 20 yrs. Im sizing down to a 8.25 deck and dont want to ride 8.5 trucks so 8.35 trucks seem like the best bet for me. Since classics come in that size im thinking of finally giving aces a try.

Perhaps an unpopular opinion here, but I can switch seamlessly between Ace and Independent. They're just not that different.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 614
« Reply #6140 on: February 08, 2023, 01:33:51 PM »

Imagine the following:
Your current setup, but make the wheels 4 mm smaller and the wheelbase 0.25" shorter.
Pop should feel kinda like that

Lou Strux

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2190
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
« Reply #6141 on: February 08, 2023, 01:47:43 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Perhaps an unpopular opinion here, but I can switch seamlessly between Ace and Independent. They're just not that different.
I am same.
I mean, they clearly have some difs, but nothing that throws me off.
Should be noted that I will ride Ace, Indy, and Thunder in the same session without much notice beyond +/- some wheelbite, and a minor adjust for pop timing, so take that for what you will.

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

texasplant

• Rep: 84
« Reply #6142 on: February 08, 2023, 09:01:09 PM »
I pop in and out of this thread - are there any signs the Classics will be discontinued in the near future? I have so much anxiety I will run out of 44s in the future.

streetmeat

• Rep: 171
« Reply #6143 on: February 09, 2023, 03:37:20 AM »
does Ace not sell a replacement kingpin/washer set? i see that they did at some point, the ones i found online seem to be old packaging/branding. i've basically slappy feebled my back truck kingpin/nut/washer into dust and its all but fused together as one piece lol

somefucker

« Reply #6144 on: February 09, 2023, 04:22:27 AM »
does Ace not sell a replacement kingpin/washer set? i see that they did at some point, the ones i found online seem to be old packaging/branding. i've basically slappy feebled my back truck kingpin/nut/washer into dust and its all but fused together as one piece lol

if you have the classics or can get your hands on someones old classic baseplate, they fit the DLK nicely. AF1 baseplate wont fit it :/

logjammin

• Rep: 326
« Reply #6145 on: February 09, 2023, 06:50:20 AM »
I pop in and out of this thread - are there any signs the Classics will be discontinued in the near future? I have so much anxiety I will run out of 44s in the future.

I have a feeling it's going to happen. They barely market them, it's all about the AF1's now.

I have some converted Ace classics baseplates with the nuts JB welded into the baseplates. I used the Gorilla Glue brand, tho. I felt like it kinda dampened the turn, but if you wanna buy em, shoot me a DM.

IpathCats

« Reply #6146 on: February 09, 2023, 07:03:40 AM »

Ace hasn't mentioned discontinuing them. And when they came out with the AF1's they said that the classic would stick around (did not specify for how long though) because they knew many people liked the softer metal, original geometry, and the in between sizing.

I feel like classics kinda fill that base model or standard truck spot for ACE too since they are cheaper. Most truck companies have a standard truck too so idk why they would get ride of it unless it stops selling. Lots of their pros rid the classics still too.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2023, 11:15:06 AM by IpathCats »

BALARGUE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 596
    • Balargue Skateshop avatar image
« Reply #6147 on: February 09, 2023, 07:28:09 AM »
iirc af1 are made in Taiwan and Classics are made in China (hence the price difference)
but they plan on moving all production to Taiwan

elegant_fox

« Reply #6148 on: February 09, 2023, 03:48:27 PM »
I just picked up some Ace AF1s in the 55s and I seem to be getting some bad bite with 56mm Bones V5s (8.25 deck), what's the maximum size you can run on Ace AF1s before needing a riser?

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 763
« Reply #6149 on: February 09, 2023, 04:28:17 PM »
I just picked up some Ace AF1s in the 55s and I seem to be getting some bad bite with 56mm Bones V5s (8.25 deck), what's the maximum size you can run on Ace AF1s before needing a riser?

Lots of variables. Your weight, how loose are your trucks? wheel width and shape? Bushing duro? Deck to truck width ratio? concave, steep or mellow? what terrain do you skate?

In saying that I would say anything about 54mm you'll likely need risers on AF1s.