Author Topic: Ace trucks  (Read 747487 times)

goodatmeth

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 618
Re: Ace trucks
« Reply #6150 on: February 09, 2023, 04:33:06 PM »
I just picked up some Ace AF1s in the 55s and I seem to be getting some bad bite with 56mm Bones V5s (8.25 deck), what's the maximum size you can run on Ace AF1s before needing a riser?
Wait for the bushings to firm up. 56mm work for sure. I'm actually riding a setup with AF1 55 lows on 2.5mm risers and 57mm radials at the moment. So that's still a bit lower than AF1 standard height and I'd say that's the limit for me

elegant_fox

« Reply #6151 on: February 09, 2023, 05:28:00 PM »
Expand Quote
I just picked up some Ace AF1s in the 55s and I seem to be getting some bad bite with 56mm Bones V5s (8.25 deck), what's the maximum size you can run on Ace AF1s before needing a riser?
[close]

Lots of variables. Your weight, how loose are your trucks? wheel width and shape? Bushing duro? Deck to truck width ratio? concave, steep or mellow? what terrain do you skate?

In saying that I would say anything about 54mm you'll likely need risers on AF1s.

I’m 150lbs at 5’ 10”, running probably 1 thread proud. The deck is the PsStix 8.25 full shape/Quasi. I did swap to some worn 54mm Dragons and it was great, they must be at 53mm-ish now. I think the bushings are the stock split duro.

This setup is for crusty streets and banks.

Expand Quote
[close]

Ah, that’s some good info. I’ll try to break in the bushings this week.

Bumba

• Rep: 32
« Reply #6152 on: February 09, 2023, 05:46:20 PM »
Anyone have issue with their kingpin nut coming lose I'm the hollows?

On classics one bolt will loosen and one will tighten on it's own. I have no idea why. I have them marked so I can just reset them every few sessions but it makes no sense to me

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1028
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #6153 on: February 09, 2023, 07:33:28 PM »
Expand Quote
Anyone have issue with their kingpin nut coming lose I'm the hollows?
[close]

On classics one bolt will loosen and one will tighten on it's own. I have no idea why. I have them marked so I can just reset them every few sessions but it makes no sense to me

If you are still using the stock nuts that come with them (which have the rethreader thing inside) maybe swap them out for normal generic nuts.

Others have said the ones that come on the trucks lose their nyloc properties quite easily, whereas the usual generic ones should hold a whole lot better for a whole lot longer.

I switched everything out as soon as I got mine, more so just to have the novelty of the rethreader nuts kept with all the other random stuff, but don't have any issues with things like that on generic kingpin and axle nuts.

Re nuts - If they both move in the same direction - both move left or right that is, which will make one looser and one tigher, maybe it is a certain movement you are doing that has that effect, eg heavy carve into one direction slappy or something.  Just a thought anyway.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 678
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #6154 on: February 13, 2023, 09:00:25 AM »
switched from my 58mm down to 54mm and wow what a difference. Feels like you can turn way more but i am getting way less wheelbite. I often land a little too far forward on heelflips with myfront foot and i used to wheel bite every single time. Now it just feels like I can get away with really squirrley landings. I was debating putting sub 50mm wheels on but i think that would actually be too small. This feels really good now. So much easier to flip the board without these giant wheels on there. They feel faster too because they are 99a instead of 95a so losing the size didnt evne really sacrifice speed its just a little less smooth of a ride and not as good on rough ground, with massive tradeoffs of better slideability, better pop, and better flip tricks.

does anyone know what the heights are of each truck?  I see Thunders are 53mm for the most part and 51mm if they have the forged baseplates. I have heard Ace are like 53.5mm for the most part (lets say ~8.5" range) and Indys are like 55mm. Ventures are proably like 51mm as well Id guess?

Weezil

• Rep: 32
« Reply #6155 on: February 13, 2023, 09:29:44 AM »
thunder: 147 and lower is 49mm, 148-151 is 52, the big bois are 53. forged are lower for all those

ace: 52 or 53 I've heard both for classics/af1s

venture: 53 across all sizes for cast, I think 48 or 49mm for the los. forged I think is lower

indy: 55mm for the standards, again forged lower I think they're 53s when forged

IpathCats

« Reply #6156 on: February 13, 2023, 10:32:42 AM »
thunder: 147 and lower is 49mm, 148-151 is 52, the big bois are 53. forged are lower for all those

venture: 53 across all sizes for cast, I think 48 or 49mm for the los. forged I think is lower

indy: 55mm for the standards, again forged lower I think they're 53s when forged

53.5mm and you can find all of the other indy specs in the lovely first post on the indy thread

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=123563.0

STEP YOUR GAME UP OTHER TRUCK THREADS

Richard Skidder

• Rep: 460
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #6157 on: February 13, 2023, 11:56:30 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

53.5mm and you can find all of the other indy specs in the lovely first post on the indy thread

Thunder size chart is linked in the first post of the Thunder Thread

IpathCats

« Reply #6158 on: February 13, 2023, 12:15:49 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Thunder size chart is linked in the first post of the Thunder Thread

That's what I like to see.

Good work.

OhioGuy

• Rep: 62
« Reply #6159 on: February 13, 2023, 03:51:01 PM »
I see some Ace 55 Hi on Tactics for $35 (non-sale price). Is there a reason they’re cheaper than the other ones? Thinking about grabbing them since I like the 44s.

yourbreakfsat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 762
« Reply #6160 on: February 13, 2023, 06:44:24 PM »
I see some Ace 55 Hi on Tactics for $35 (non-sale price). Is there a reason they’re cheaper than the other ones? Thinking about grabbing them since I like the 44s.

Honestly it's probably a typo

Edit: looks like all the Ace classics are going for under $40. I wonder what's going on there.

OhioGuy

• Rep: 62
« Reply #6161 on: February 13, 2023, 06:47:25 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Honestly it's probably a typo

Edit: looks like all the Ace classics are going for under $40. I wonder what's going on there.
Yeah, I assume they’re just the classics. Tactics seems to to be the only place that labels them like that.

https://www.tactics.com/ace/55-hi-skateboard-trucks/polished-silver

jsettle

• Rep: 134
« Reply #6162 on: February 20, 2023, 08:10:53 AM »
Are the ace classics still considered a good truck? Or are they not messsed with much since af1's came out. I was looking to get the ace classic 44, because a 8.35 truck seems so perfect for a 8.25 deck. Ive never rode aces before so im not sure if people still ride the classics or not. Thanks to anyone who has info on the classics!

IpathCats

« Reply #6163 on: February 20, 2023, 08:34:25 AM »
Are the ace classics still considered a good truck? Or are they not messsed with much since af1's came out. I was looking to get the ace classic 44, because a 8.35 truck seems so perfect for a 8.25 deck. Ive never rode aces before so im not sure if people still ride the classics or not. Thanks to anyone who has info on the classics!

Plenty of people still ride/love/prefer the classics.

Many pros even.

The sizing, softer alloy grind feel, and slightly quicker turn are usually cited in the reasoning for this.

These are all subjective reasons, and really it all comes down to preference at the end of the day.

Ride whatever works/feels best for you.

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1094
« Reply #6164 on: February 20, 2023, 09:43:12 AM »

I loved the Classics but the QC was absolutely junk. I ended up bending both hangers and having both kingpins rattle loose. I’ve been on AF1s since the spring and I can’t say I notice a huge difference in how they skate vs. the Classics, but I can say that the quality is much higher (just remember to replace the axle nuts with standard ones). 
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 780
« Reply #6165 on: February 20, 2023, 09:54:28 AM »
The Classics are worth checking out. Softer metal so wear down super fast and the size options aren't everyone's choice. I had about four sets and never had a bent axle but other people certainly had issues. My kingpins did wiggle loose but they do on all my trucks and I kind of enjoy it.

Classics are also a tiny bit lighter and have a slightly different turn and pop feel, which I prefer to Af1s but there really isn't much in it.

I still have a pair of Classic 55s that I am savoring. If I hear they are going to be discontinued, I'll likely grab another pair.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1112
« Reply #6166 on: February 20, 2023, 10:03:36 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I loved the Classics but the QC was absolutely junk. I ended up bending both hangers and having both kingpins rattle loose. I’ve been on AF1s since the spring and I can’t say I notice a huge difference in how they skate vs. the Classics, but I can say that the quality is much higher (just remember to replace the axle nuts with standard ones).

Are you on af-1 44s?
I was a huge fan of the classics. Loved the look of the 33s. When I sized up boards, I had the worst time getting pop out of the 44s, found a combo (short wb/and big wheels), but hated the look.
Got the af-1s the day they came out, and really never got along with them. Got the 44s, should have got 33s. But same issue, just couldn’t really get a good pop. Indys on flat boards, and thunders and ventures on anything feel great. Shit I liked the old royals when they were 50 mm. But the ace pop…never really solved it.
You got the recipe?

logjammin

• Rep: 336
« Reply #6167 on: February 20, 2023, 10:14:07 AM »
Yeah, when the AF1 first came out their pivot cups were getting fucked up right away and they were going back n forth between saying it was a bad batch of cups and then saying the actual pivot cavity of the baseplates had some slight defects. Once it got sorted out, I really haven't read or seen anything happen involving shitty QC. I did have a set of the AF1 lows that one of the kingpins got loose as hell and I barely skated them, but I didn't really care cause I stopped using the lows anyways.

Classics...I broke so many baseplates from slappies, bent a few axles, and had quite a few loose kingpins. Their warranty dept always sorted me out quick, but it's clear that the AF1 is a much more no-fuss truck with seemingly no abnormal breaking/bending issues. It would not surprise me if they eventually fade out the classics. The AF1 has really taken off and everyone is riding them now with no hesitation. I feel like a lot of dudes wanted to try Ace's before the AF1 came out but they never pulled the trigger cause they heard about all the QC issues.

Nacho Maildrop

« Reply #6168 on: February 20, 2023, 10:24:36 AM »
Love the classics, never had any QC issues. Have a drawer full of 44s, end up going back to them pretty frequently.  I'll echo what others have said regarding the nicer quality and slightly different pop feel of the AF1s.

My biggest gripe with the AF1s is that the pivot cups are way too soft. On both of the sets I tried, it made them feel unreasonably squirrelly, which I am sure is impacted by the fact that I am heavier than the average skater. Still, if they end up discontinuing the classics I might try and 3D print some plastic pivot cups for the AF1s. Or maybe I just need to be more patient?

jsettle

• Rep: 134
« Reply #6169 on: February 20, 2023, 10:39:19 AM »
Thanks everyone...sounds like the classics are still a respected truck. My only concern is that i normally ride 55 mm wheels and im seeing the classics are 52mm high which seems very low for a truck with that size wheel. I normally ride 55mm wheels on indy standards and have no issues but 3mm low seems like a big difference....maybe its not an issue?

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6170 on: February 20, 2023, 10:46:29 AM »
Love the classics, never had any QC issues. Have a drawer full of 44s, end up going back to them pretty frequently.  I'll echo what others have said regarding the nicer quality and slightly different pop feel of the AF1s.

My biggest gripe with the AF1s is that the pivot cups are way too soft. On both of the sets I tried, it made them feel unreasonably squirrelly, which I am sure is impacted by the fact that I am heavier than the average skater. Still, if they end up discontinuing the classics I might try and 3D print some plastic pivot cups for the AF1s. Or maybe I just need to be more patient?

I too didn’t have the qc others were so worried about. I mean I used to bang my f’n axles on the ground in between tricks with pretty much every truck, for years, because that was just the deal.

The pivot cups feel dumb, and annoying on the af-1s. Like a stupid hack: my wack conspiracy theory was they just threw on these way too juicy cups to make the truck all wriggly/‘surfy’ (the ‘mouthfeel’ of truck tastings). Whatever. I’d prefer something 100% stiffer in the cup, but I also like harder bushings, loosened…’snappier’ (which I guess is the ‘punchy’ of truck recording sessions).

I think there is a lot of us that are not less than 150 on board, even if that’s the pro average. I’m pro height (5’8”), but not weight.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6171 on: February 20, 2023, 10:51:48 AM »
Thanks everyone...sounds like the classics are still a respected truck. My only concern is that i normally ride 55 mm wheels and im seeing the classics are 52mm high which seems very low for a truck with that size wheel. I normally ride 55mm wheels on indy standards and have no issues but 3mm low seems like a big difference....maybe its not an issue?

55s, and more, worked very well for me on classics.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 994
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #6172 on: February 20, 2023, 10:54:05 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I too didn’t have the qc others were so worried about. I mean I used to bang my f’n axles on the ground in between tricks with pretty much every truck, for years, because that was just the deal.

The pivot cups feel dumb, and annoying on the af-1s. Like a stupid hack: my wack conspiracy theory was they just threw on these way too juicy cups to make the truck all wriggly/‘surfy’ (the ‘mouthfeel’ of truck tastings). Whatever. I’d prefer something 100% stiffer in the cup, but I also like harder bushings, loosened…’snappier’ (which I guess is the ‘punchy’ of truck recording sessions).

I think there is a lot of us that are not less than 150 on board, even if that’s the pro average. I’m pro height (5’8”), but not weight.

I don't disagree with the cup theory, Afterall, change out the ACE cups and bushings and you'll be surprised how 'normal' they are...same can be said for the new Royals, swap out the bushings for indy or bones and they lose a lot of flavor; I've a set of AF1 lo with hard bushings, there is nothing 'ACE' about them at that point tbh.

Bushings (read duro) are critical no matter the truck.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2023, 11:32:43 PM by Xen »

Nacho Maildrop

« Reply #6173 on: February 20, 2023, 10:54:47 AM »

You'll be fine. Ace classics have a straighter kingpin angle than Indys, so the hanger takes longer to rotate around the kingpin as the axle move towards the board. So even though they're lower, it takes a longer or deeper turn to bite. They also have a taller, harder top bushing than Indy so you get a little bit more snap back.

Expand Quote

[close]

I think they did it to compensate for the (very slightly) more angled kingpin? For my, they just don't return to center like the classics do.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6174 on: February 20, 2023, 11:03:42 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

I don't disagree with the cup theory, Afterall, change out the ACE cups and bushings and you'll be surprised out 'normal' they are...same can bet said for the new Royals, swap out the bushings for indy or bones and they lose a lot of flavor; I've a set of AF1 lo with hard bushings, there is nothing 'ACE' about them at that point tbh.

You have done the research in this field and hats off. For whatever reason, I’m cool with buying each truck on the market, but buying bushings pisses me off. Doesn’t make any sense on my part.

Did the pop get better on the less filling/reduced flavor ace?

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 994
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #6175 on: February 20, 2023, 11:59:57 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

I don't disagree with the cup theory, Afterall, change out the ACE cups and bushings and you'll be surprised out 'normal' they are...same can bet said for the new Royals, swap out the bushings for indy or bones and they lose a lot of flavor; I've a set of AF1 lo with hard bushings, there is nothing 'ACE' about them at that point tbh.

[close]

You have done the research in this field and hats off. For whatever reason, I’m cool with buying each truck on the market, but buying bushings pisses me off. Doesn’t make any sense on my part.

Pop was much much better due to the stability at the cost of that ace feel, even broken in they were just 'normal' might as well ride a venture or thunder at that point over the ace lows if you are looking for stabilty.

logjammin

• Rep: 336
« Reply #6176 on: February 20, 2023, 12:04:05 PM »

So true. Any bushings that aren't Ace "stock/medium" feel off, for me. They are the soul of any truck I put them on. Insanely lively/snappy/bouncy with rebound. Ace hard bushings make them not feel like Ace's as much. Same with Indy aftermarkets, hell even Riptides aside from their pivot cups. I hate Bones bushings now, and wonder why I ever thought they were good, they actually seem to mellow out turning vs make it quicker. Ace nailed it with those medium duro bushings. I wish they lasted a bit longer in the summer, I tend to shred them up from all the turning but whatever, no bushing is indestructible.

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6177 on: February 20, 2023, 12:22:20 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Are you on af-1 44s?
I was a huge fan of the classics. Loved the look of the 33s. When I sized up boards, I had the worst time getting pop out of the 44s, found a combo (short wb/and big wheels), but hated the look.
Got the af-1s the day they came out, and really never got along with them. Got the 44s, should have got 33s. But same issue, just couldn’t really get a good pop. Indys on flat boards, and thunders and ventures on anything feel great. Shit I liked the old royals when they were 50 mm. But the ace pop…never really solved it.
You got the recipe?

44s, yes. I haven’t noticed any difference in pop between my Ace and the Indy 144s I was skating before. I’m 42 and my pop isn’t the what it used to be, but fwiw, on my last session, I had no problem with knee-high switch pop shuvs. I skate decks between 8-8.25”, and I won’t buy anything with a wheelbase longer than 14.25”, but otherwise I am not very fussy about my setup.

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6178 on: February 20, 2023, 12:25:44 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I bought new Ace trucks, well after the initial run, and I have had no problems at all with the pivot cup, but still I agree. I’m not convinced that soft polyurethane is the ideal material for a truck’s pivot cup; I think Indy has it right with a hard thermoplastic. 

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6179 on: February 20, 2023, 12:37:54 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Pop was much much better due to the stability at the cost of that ace feel, even broken in they were just 'normal' might as well ride a venture or thunder at that point over the ace lows if you are looking for stabilty.

Imo “stability” is possibly a little overrated. I skated Ventures recently and found that the stability translated into an inability to point my board in the correct direction, making even things like ollies difficult. That’s before I even tried to tre flip, when I realized that without the ability to tilt the board under my feet, I wasn’t able to even get the deck to travel 360°. Went back to Ace after a few sessions and it just felt like home.

The amount of movement you get with an Ace is their virtue. Fwiw mine are bone stock sans the stupid nuts.