Author Topic: Ace trucks  (Read 747331 times)

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1112
Re: Ace trucks
« Reply #6180 on: February 20, 2023, 01:31:12 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Love the classics, never had any QC issues. Have a drawer full of 44s, end up going back to them pretty frequently.  I'll echo what others have said regarding the nicer quality and slightly different pop feel of the AF1s.

My biggest gripe with the AF1s is that the pivot cups are way too soft. On both of the sets I tried, it made them feel unreasonably squirrelly, which I am sure is impacted by the fact that I am heavier than the average skater. Still, if they end up discontinuing the classics I might try and 3D print some plastic pivot cups for the AF1s. Or maybe I just need to be more patient?
[close]

I too didn’t have the qc others were so worried about. I mean I used to bang my f’n axles on the ground in between tricks with pretty much every truck, for years, because that was just the deal.

The pivot cups feel dumb, and annoying on the af-1s. Like a stupid hack: my wack conspiracy theory was they just threw on these way too juicy cups to make the truck all wriggly/‘surfy’ (the ‘mouthfeel’ of truck tastings). Whatever. I’d prefer something 100% stiffer in the cup, but I also like harder bushings, loosened…’snappier’ (which I guess is the ‘punchy’ of truck recording sessions).

I think there is a lot of us that are not less than 150 on board, even if that’s the pro average. I’m pro height (5’8”), but not weight.

[close]

I don't disagree with the cup theory, Afterall, change out the ACE cups and bushings and you'll be surprised out 'normal' they are...same can bet said for the new Royals, swap out the bushings for indy or bones and they lose a lot of flavor; I've a set of AF1 lo with hard bushings, there is nothing 'ACE' about them at that point tbh.

Bushings (read duro) are critical no matter the truck.
[close]

You have done the research in this field and hats off. For whatever reason, I’m cool with buying each truck on the market, but buying bushings pisses me off. Doesn’t make any sense on my part.

Did the pop get better on the less filling/reduced flavor ace?
[close]

Pop was much much better due to the stability at the cost of that ace feel, even broken in they were just 'normal' might as well ride a venture or thunder at that point over the ace lows if you are looking for stabilty.
[close]

Imo “stability” is possibly a little overrated. I skated Ventures recently and found that the stability translated into an inability to point my board in the correct direction, making even things like ollies difficult. That’s before I even tried to tre flip, when I realized that without the ability to tilt the board under my feet, I wasn’t able to even get the deck to travel 360°. Went back to Ace after a few sessions and it just felt like home.

The amount of movement you get with an Ace is their virtue. Fwiw mine are bone stock sans the stupid nuts.

I’m a few years older, and pop is precious. Switch pop shuvs…I remember those😢, faintly. Switch pop on ace would be manslaughter rn. I cannot even envision a positive outcome. Best case scenario would be a no pop to run out.

Totally agree with the thermoplastic/hard pivot cup. If these my trucks were smaller I’d consider modifying them, I’ve got some very orange indy pivot cups that are hard, but I’m trying to skate only 8”, and smaller, decks.

Indys used to be my go to, when I’d lose 360 flips. I figured the taller height, and shorter effective wb helped with the scoop. For me, because I am not good, kickflips on indys were super rough, but maybe once a month I’d have a session with the best 360 flips of my life. Generally on boards with lots of fingers of flat (o wish there was a better term).

The few times I’ve gotten ace to work for me, it has been a lot of fun, and I completely get why folks are so into them. When I get to old to ollie (soon) ace type trucks will be it. The turn is shocking, compared to my go to trucks.

toe_knee

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 210
  • Get bent
« Reply #6181 on: February 20, 2023, 02:05:54 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Love the classics, never had any QC issues. Have a drawer full of 44s, end up going back to them pretty frequently.  I'll echo what others have said regarding the nicer quality and slightly different pop feel of the AF1s.

My biggest gripe with the AF1s is that the pivot cups are way too soft. On both of the sets I tried, it made them feel unreasonably squirrelly, which I am sure is impacted by the fact that I am heavier than the average skater. Still, if they end up discontinuing the classics I might try and 3D print some plastic pivot cups for the AF1s. Or maybe I just need to be more patient?
[close]

I too didn’t have the qc others were so worried about. I mean I used to bang my f’n axles on the ground in between tricks with pretty much every truck, for years, because that was just the deal.

The pivot cups feel dumb, and annoying on the af-1s. Like a stupid hack: my wack conspiracy theory was they just threw on these way too juicy cups to make the truck all wriggly/‘surfy’ (the ‘mouthfeel’ of truck tastings). Whatever. I’d prefer something 100% stiffer in the cup, but I also like harder bushings, loosened…’snappier’ (which I guess is the ‘punchy’ of truck recording sessions).

I think there is a lot of us that are not less than 150 on board, even if that’s the pro average. I’m pro height (5’8”), but not weight.

[close]

I don't disagree with the cup theory, Afterall, change out the ACE cups and bushings and you'll be surprised out 'normal' they are...same can bet said for the new Royals, swap out the bushings for indy or bones and they lose a lot of flavor; I've a set of AF1 lo with hard bushings, there is nothing 'ACE' about them at that point tbh.

[close]

You have done the research in this field and hats off. For whatever reason, I’m cool with buying each truck on the market, but buying bushings pisses me off. Doesn’t make any sense on my part.

[close]

Pop was much much better due to the stability at the cost of that ace feel, even broken in they were just 'normal' might as well ride a venture or thunder at that point over the ace lows if you are looking for stabilty.
[close]

Imo “stability” is possibly a little overrated. I skated Ventures recently and found that the stability translated into an inability to point my board in the correct direction, making even things like ollies difficult. That’s before I even tried to tre flip, when I realized that without the ability to tilt the board under my feet, I wasn’t able to even get the deck to travel 360°. Went back to Ace after a few sessions and it just felt like home.

The amount of movement you get with an Ace is their virtue. Fwiw mine are bone stock sans the stupid nuts.

Rode venture for years, I’m set up on ace lows with the hard bushings, never skated the AF1s or the normal aces for that matter, I can say I like the way my lows turn compared to venture, and thunder I haven’t skated since I was a kid because of how bad the wheelbite was with 53mm wheels, it’s tolerable with aces, I don’t skate transition, I don’t do slappies so I can’t say how they perform in that aspect, but I am willing to say as far as me being able to skate ledges and flatground, I’ve either relearned tricks or gotten new ones, I don’t feel inhibited on them
You want some queso?”
Dan Drehobl to me at make a wish, while handing me a hotdog

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 518
« Reply #6182 on: February 20, 2023, 02:37:25 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

'

I don't think that people are referring to how tight or loose the trucks are when they talk about stability. You can crank aces down so that its harder to tilt the board under your feet than on looser ventures.

When I talk about stability one of the things I'm referring to is how much the trucks turn when you tilt the board, and thats directly related to how much the hangers articulate. On ventures, you can tilt the trucks to some degree when setting up for a trick but the board won't actually turn that much whereas on aces, I find that sometimes when setting up for a trick where I need to lean toe or heelside I start rolling in a different direction.

In the same vein, when I land a trick slightly off center, especially if its a 180 trick where I'm rolling away fakie, I find that on aces its much harder to roll away straight. Because given the same truck tightness and pressure applied toe or heel side its going to turn much more than a venture.

All this is why people love the turn on aces but I find that its just not linear enough for me. When I skate aces I can make it work, great for some things, but have to crank them down and run them noticeably tighter than my ventures, which makes it much harder to tilt the board under my feet for certain tricks.

jsettle

• Rep: 134
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #6183 on: February 22, 2023, 04:26:23 AM »
After years of contemplating, i finally just ordered some 44 classics. Ace website has some colors of the classics for 40 bucks a set and free shipping after 50 bucks so i also got a set of replacement bushings if needed. Very excited to try them out and hopefully they become my new choice of trucks for the ling run. Im going to run 55 mm wheels on them so hopefully i didn't need to get risers also. Once i skate them i will give an update how they are

elegant_fox

« Reply #6184 on: February 22, 2023, 11:12:00 AM »
Been riding the Ace 55 AF1s this past week and they feel much better after some break in and riding at three threads cranked down. Zero bite on worn 54mm Dragon. They might be 53mm now.

Getting just the slightest bite when landing on 56mm Bones V5 x97, but it’s definitely manageable. That last two mm of clearance isn’t as clean as Indy, but it’s a lot better than new.

I have a feeling that the sweet spot for these trucks might be 54mm.

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 678
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #6185 on: February 22, 2023, 11:59:27 AM »
Been riding the Ace 55 AF1s this past week and they feel much better after some break in and riding at three threads cranked down. Zero bite on worn 54mm Dragon. They might be 53mm now.

Getting just the slightest bite when landing on 56mm Bones V5 x97, but it’s definitely manageable. That last two mm of clearance isn’t as clean as Indy, but it’s a lot better than new.

I have a feeling that the sweet spot for these trucks might be 54mm.

i swtiched from 58mm down to 54mm on my AF1 60s and it felt way better

elegant_fox

« Reply #6186 on: February 22, 2023, 12:27:01 PM »
Kubo Shota seems to be running a 56-58mm here:

Shin Sanbongi seems to run 54-58mm on Ace 55s, depending on the shot:

It seems possible, but I’ll have to experiment more and see what makes the difference. For now, 54 feels like a natural fit.

IpathCats

« Reply #6187 on: February 22, 2023, 12:29:15 PM »
Shin is def the dude who makes me want to ride ACEs the most.

He's so rad.

I dont skate like him at all haha.

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1094
« Reply #6188 on: February 22, 2023, 12:33:37 PM »

He's so rad.

One of my favorites and probably between him and Cardiel for the skater whose talent I would pick to have after a genie granted me a wish.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

Ok

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1112
« Reply #6189 on: February 22, 2023, 02:47:19 PM »
Expand Quote

He's so rad.

[close]

One of my favorites and probably between him and Cardiel for the skater whose talent I would pick to have after a genie granted me a wish.

I mean my faves are Gino, Lavar, Puleo, Antwuan, Wade.
And I favor 5.0/5.2 lo’s and 147s. So that tracks

FrenchSkater

• Rep: 28
« Reply #6190 on: February 22, 2023, 03:02:17 PM »
One day, i will tried Ace !

What is the difference with Venture trucks ?

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 780
« Reply #6191 on: February 22, 2023, 03:04:59 PM »
Ace Ventura has a dual personality disorder.

notinternetfamous

• Rep: 310
  • Watch PURGATORY - the Sproul video
« Reply #6192 on: February 22, 2023, 03:14:11 PM »
What is the difference with Venture trucks ?
lol Venture and Ace are on the opposite ends of the truck spectrum in terms of geometry, turning radius, wheelbase extension, etc.

although I have 2 set-ups (8" x 14" wb with 5.6 Ventures and 8" x 14.25" wb with Ace AF-1 33's). Typically, I will pick one depending on the spot. I can skate both pretty comfortably and the difference in how the trucks feel isn't that jarring to me due to the board dims I pair the trucks with (& wheel size!)

TLDR: Comparisons between the 2 brands. Aces have a sharper/surfier turn, lighter pop feel, and grinds smoother. Venture is more stable (extends wb; more lean than turn), great pinch, and amazing kingpin clearance

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 856
« Reply #6193 on: February 24, 2023, 04:35:53 AM »
Penny loves the ace turn (check second pic)

BALARGUE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 615
    • Balargue Skateshop avatar image
« Reply #6194 on: February 24, 2023, 04:43:19 AM »
ahhahaha

scab

• Rep: 200
« Reply #6195 on: February 24, 2023, 05:03:20 AM »
I think it's rad that one of the undisputable style gods is "guilty" of what some people consider the cardinal sin of skateboarding. You do you, Tom.

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 780
« Reply #6196 on: February 24, 2023, 07:40:44 AM »
Holy Shit. CANCEL TOM PENNY and his  BUSHING BULGING. #topbushingabuse

IpathCats

« Reply #6197 on: February 24, 2023, 07:44:36 AM »
Oh my god, that's rough.

Tbh, I was wondering how Toms board still looked so stiff even with ace's.

intendedreceivers

• Rep: 204
« Reply #6198 on: February 24, 2023, 08:19:25 AM »
I’m going to send a $10 bill to Mesa so they put some hard bushings in his next box.

BL0B

• Rep: 414
« Reply #6199 on: February 24, 2023, 12:51:11 PM »
^ doing the lords work! lol

someone start a change.org or something.

Lou Strux

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2202
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
« Reply #6200 on: February 24, 2023, 02:19:30 PM »

I know this thread is about Ace trucks, but can I take a moment to poke this insta post w/ a stick?
Take a look at the 3rd slide: What is that top lace eyelet doing way up there by your ankle bone, why is it there (as in, IS it intended to be functional?) & who thought that would be comfortable, let alone a good idea?
Seems like a mid-top would put that last jawn too far back to be anything other than a decoration.
Standard attire sourcing/fabbing practices typically dictate that every additional element adds a cost to the production, which is then passed on to the consumer in the form of MSRP/asking price. Sooo... why add it if it's "functionless" & only serves to drive up the cost, thereby reducing its appeal to cost conscious consumers?
I am aware that I'm over thinking the latest shoe from one of the best to ever do it, AND that this probably belongs in another thread, but...
Also, in that same pic, the "debossed Tom Penny signature on tongue" appears to look a whole lot like the standard company logo.
Back to Tom's trucks, though: y'all reckon he's running the hard Ace bushings & still cranking them down until they mash out like that? If not, then why come Ace don't just send him a set of the harder ones in his box?
Apologies. Haven't smoked/consumed any weed in at least a week & my brain is now flooded w/ pointless questions. I figured if anybody would have some insight, it would be the fellow skate nerds over in Shoes & Gear.
I appreciate you being patient w/ my ranting; I'm done now.

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

intendedreceivers

• Rep: 204
« Reply #6201 on: February 24, 2023, 03:14:27 PM »

I know this thread is about Ace trucks, but can I take a moment to poke this insta post w/ a stick?
Take a look at the 3rd slide: What is that top lace eyelet doing way up there by your ankle bone, why is it there (as in, IS it intended to be functional?) & who thought that would be comfortable, let alone a good idea?
Seems like a mid-top would put that last jawn too far back to be anything other than a decoration.
Standard attire sourcing/fabbing practices typically dictate that every additional element adds a cost to the production, which is then passed on to the consumer in the form of MSRP/asking price. Sooo... why add it if it's "functionless" & only serves to drive up the cost, thereby reducing its appeal to cost conscious consumers?
I am aware that I'm over thinking the latest shoe from one of the best to ever do it, AND that this probably belongs in another thread, but...
Also, in that same pic, the "debossed Tom Penny signature on tongue" appears to look a whole lot like the standard company logo.
Back to Tom's trucks, though: y'all reckon he's running the hard Ace bushings & still cranking them down until they mash out like that? If not, then why come Ace don't just send him a set of the harder ones in his box?
Apologies. Haven't smoked/consumed any weed in at least a week & my brain is now flooded w/ pointless questions. I figured if anybody would have some insight, it would be the fellow skate nerds over in Shoes & Gear.

Normally they sit below the top eyelet, not in line with the others like this, but this one is so far up, I’ve got to assume it’s a variation on the “runner’s eyelet” that allows one to loop the lace into the extra eyelet and thread it back through to lock the fit down better.

It’s either that or it’s just a vanity eyelet that offers the wearer an opportunity to explore the loose fit/wide lace stylings of the puffy shoe era.

Lou Strux

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6202 on: February 24, 2023, 03:28:05 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Normally they sit below the top eyelet, not in line with the others like this, but this one is so far up, I’ve got to assume it’s a variation on the “runner’s eyelet” that allows one to loop the lace into the extra eyelet and thread it back through to lock the fit down better.

It’s either that or it’s just a vanity eyelet that offers the wearer an opportunity to explore the loose fit/wide lace stylings of the puffy shoe era.
That was my thought as well, but the positioning makes it seem like, well, as you said: a vanity eyelet.
I actually DO be liking the look of them though.
Those bushings on the other hand... Oofta!

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

Pasta Monster

« Reply #6203 on: February 24, 2023, 05:17:37 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
That was my thought as well, but the positioning makes it seem like, well, as you said: a vanity eyelet.
He has had a lot of ankle surgery and that is supposedly why he needs tight trucks. I can’t defend those bushings. He’s either unaware of the option of swapping to harder bushings, or doesn’t care.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #6204 on: February 24, 2023, 05:35:33 PM »
Or his bushing exploded. Happened to my friend too, who wasn't riding them all that tight initially and he got lazy and just kept tightening once they exploded.

These have like a thread showing with stock bushings so he doesn't seem like a cranker.

Diamond_Dallas_Pudge

• Rep: -46
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #6205 on: February 25, 2023, 03:41:38 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
[close]
He has had a lot of ankle surgery and that is supposedly why he needs tight trucks. I can’t defend those bushings. He’s either unaware of the option of swapping to harder bushings, or doesn’t care.

Those ARE hard bushings bros. I remember when he got on the team it was around the same time hard bushings had come out. Saw a Instagram story of him setting up.

streetmeat

• Rep: 170
« Reply #6206 on: February 25, 2023, 04:14:25 AM »
feel like i'm on borrowed time with my 44 Classics right now. i'm far beyond axel front and back, the back i'm damn near thru the bushing yolk and grinding on the bushing for feebles/smiths, the back washer/nut/kingpin has now fused into one single piece/the washer is about 60% existent at all, the front washer is so stretched out its almost slipping over the nut, the pivot cup feels and appears to be adding nothing of value but god dammit i'm committed to staying with them till they snap or completely fall apart while riding like Forest Gumps leg braces 

Lou Strux

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6207 on: February 25, 2023, 07:38:25 AM »
feel like i'm on borrowed time with my 44 Classics right now. i'm far beyond axel front and back, the back i'm damn near thru the bushing yolk and grinding on the bushing for feebles/smiths, the back washer/nut/kingpin has now fused into one single piece/the washer is about 60% existent at all, the front washer is so stretched out its almost slipping over the nut, the pivot cup feels and appears to be adding nothing of value but god dammit i'm committed to staying with them till they snap or completely fall apart while riding like Forest Gumps leg braces 

And the axles haven’t bent yet?
These sound like a sight to behold.
Um… maybe consider bringing a spare set to the next session w/ you?
You really are the definition of a shredder though, in the literal sense of the word, and it may be a bit early yet but I’m gonna go ahead & pay my respects to your trucks anyway. RSVP streetmeat’s Ace 44 Classics.

streetmeat

• Rep: 170
« Reply #6208 on: February 25, 2023, 07:52:31 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

You really are the definition of a shredder though, in the literal sense of the word, and it may be a bit early yet but I’m gonna go ahead & pay my respects to your trucks anyway. RSVP streetmeat’s Ace 44 Classics.

havent bent! i’ve been towing a fresh set of AF1s with me each time i go out for the past month just waiting for them to kiss death. i feel like i could flip em and get a few more month(s?) out of them but my crook and feeble groves are so much like the topography of the grand canyon that the thought of starting over stresses me out

Plan9Customs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 527
« Reply #6209 on: February 25, 2023, 09:40:09 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

havent bent! i’ve been towing a fresh set of AF1s with me each time i go out for the past month just waiting for them to kiss death. i feel like i could flip em and get a few more month(s?) out of them but my crook and feeble groves are so much like the topography of the grand canyon that the thought of starting over stresses me out
Ahem. There’s a thread just for this.
https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=43807.0
Now post some pics already!