Author Topic: Ace trucks  (Read 747383 times)

Roisto

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
Re: Ace trucks
« Reply #6210 on: February 26, 2023, 02:12:07 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
feel like i'm on borrowed time with my 44 Classics right now. i'm far beyond axel front and back, the back i'm damn near thru the bushing yolk and grinding on the bushing for feebles/smiths, the back washer/nut/kingpin has now fused into one single piece/the washer is about 60% existent at all, the front washer is so stretched out its almost slipping over the nut, the pivot cup feels and appears to be adding nothing of value but god dammit i'm committed to staying with them till they snap or completely fall apart while riding like Forest Gumps leg braces 
[close]

And the axles haven’t bent yet?
These sound like a sight to behold.
Um… maybe consider bringing a spare set to the next session w/ you?
You really are the definition of a shredder though, in the literal sense of the word, and it may be a bit early yet but I’m gonna go ahead & pay my respects to your trucks anyway. RSVP streetmeat’s Ace 44 Classics.

[close]

havent bent! i’ve been towing a fresh set of AF1s with me each time i go out for the past month just waiting for them to kiss death. i feel like i could flip em and get a few more month(s?) out of them but my crook and feeble groves are so much like the topography of the grand canyon that the thought of starting over stresses me out
[close]
Ahem. There’s a thread just for this.
https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=43807.0
Now post some pics already!

Exactly! We need some pictures to go along with this erotic story!  :-*

Bror

• Rep: 23
« Reply #6211 on: March 01, 2023, 04:54:30 AM »
How u guys like aces hard bushings? Stock ones were way too soft for me so I didn't ride my af1s for long.

Feel like switching my 169s to the 66 to have a faster turn with the 15" wb.

toe_knee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 210
  • Get bent
« Reply #6212 on: March 01, 2023, 05:37:58 AM »
How u guys like aces hard bushings? Stock ones were way too soft for me so I didn't ride my af1s for long.

I switched over almost immediately, the Texas heat don’t play around with bushings. I like them I ride the lows though
You want some queso?”
Dan Drehobl to me at make a wish, while handing me a hotdog

finecojeffe

• Rep: 129
    • Fine-Co avatar image
« Reply #6213 on: March 01, 2023, 08:43:20 AM »
got some af1 60 and they're clicking like crazy. I like them though.

notinternetfamous

• Rep: 310
  • Watch PURGATORY - the Sproul video
« Reply #6214 on: March 01, 2023, 09:48:04 AM »
the clicking goes away eventually

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1094
« Reply #6215 on: March 01, 2023, 09:59:01 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

The clicking went away after a few sessions, then returned for like an hour or two a few months later. Quiet since then.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

scab

• Rep: 200
« Reply #6216 on: March 02, 2023, 03:09:47 AM »

They make a huge difference for me. I'd say they're well worth it.

finecojeffe

• Rep: 129
    • Fine-Co avatar image
« Reply #6217 on: March 02, 2023, 06:35:31 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

The clicking went away after a few sessions, then returned for like an hour or two a few months later. Quiet since then.

I was thinking of just putting a little wax on the top washer since thats what doing the clicking...but if it just goes away on its own then ill leave it alone

Ok

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1112
« Reply #6218 on: March 02, 2023, 06:48:19 AM »
Replacement pivot cup for the af1’s? Looking for something to stiffen it up. Ripped the old ones out, put in some hard, bright Orange indy ones that are too small.

IpathCats

« Reply #6219 on: March 02, 2023, 07:57:13 AM »

I prefer them to stock, but i have some bias since i prefer harder bushings in general. I've been running the black indy bushings on my normal setup for a while.

The hard ace are def harder than stock, but by no means are they a HARD bushing imo. really depends on your weight i guess. I'm 160ish

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1094
« Reply #6220 on: March 02, 2023, 08:45:48 AM »
Replacement pivot cup for the af1’s? Looking for something to stiffen it up. Ripped the old ones out, put in some hard, bright Orange indy ones that are too small.

My impression was that Ace designed a new cavity for the AF-1 which will only fit their cups, or aftermarket cups (so Riptide) designed specifically for that truck. I'm sure there are plenty of reasons to design your own cavity, but it's a bit of a shame because the Classics will take a hard Indy pivot cup just fine.

So unfortunately, as far as I know there are two options and they are both soft polyurethane rather than harder thermoplastic.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

logjammin

• Rep: 336
« Reply #6221 on: March 02, 2023, 09:02:22 AM »
I've ran Ace AF1 pivot cups, Riptide AF1 pivot cups, and those new China Indy insanely hard plastic pivot cups in AF1's. All three work fine, the Indy ones being the solution to the other two ripping, which they will if you like to slappy.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6222 on: March 02, 2023, 10:29:42 AM »
Thanks all.
Not heavy into slappies. I’m planning on cranking these down, so I can ollie. I’m just not a huge fan of the pop, and the wobble doesnt help

IpathCats

« Reply #6223 on: March 02, 2023, 10:32:44 AM »
Thanks all.
Not heavy into slappies. I’m planning on cranking these down, so I can ollie. I’m just not a huge fan of the pop, and the wobble doesnt help

Tighten them and run risers if you want better pop feel on aces.

Pop is their weak point imo. def a big reason as to why i dont ride them on my normal setup.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6224 on: March 02, 2023, 12:50:24 PM »
Expand Quote
Thanks all.
[close]

Tighten them and run risers if you want better pop feel on aces.

Pop is their weak point imo. def a big reason as to why i dont ride them on my normal setup.

To me, af1’s grace is that they are not indy. I’m pretty over my indy dislike.
My views on trucks are embarrassing, and inconsistent. Ventures, because that was the truck, and seems the authentic choice. Probably skate the best on thunders. Everything else when I’m looking for something to handle a bigger wheel.
Trying different pivot cups is me just trying to use stuff I already have/cobble together completes to give away.

On an ace related note, I’m finally moving on from my classic 55s: they are just too big for me. An 8.5 is my max, and those are too big for me, on that. Despite @smellsdead awesome looking setups. It’s weird because I really like the pop on them. A lot. But I know a guy that’s trying to find something to take up some of the time that he spent with the bottle, and these were what he wanted. It’s good to get rid of stuff and simplify, I’m sure it’ll help me more than him.
Keeping the 33 classics forever tho. Second best looking truck ever.

BL0B

• Rep: 414
« Reply #6225 on: March 02, 2023, 10:30:35 PM »

you have orange pivot cups?

ask if these will work in af1's, i've no experience with them.

https://socalskateshop.com/Khiro-Products-Logo-Pivot-Bushings-Small-Hard-2-Trucks.html

edited^ to smalls, still not sure if they work in af1's.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2023, 08:35:04 PM by BL0B »

jsettle

• Rep: 134
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #6226 on: March 04, 2023, 07:25:02 PM »
Just wanted to report after my first ace session and say thanks to everyone for the good info leading up to me getting a set. I got the ace 44 classic for a 8.25 deck. For a while i thought 55mm wheels would get alot of wheel bite but i havent got anywhere near as bad as Indy standards. The turn is very similar to an indy but definitely better i would say. I also didnt get any bushing squeaking like i always get on indy recently. The bushing definately tightened up some as the session went on but i wasnt bothered by the how loose they were. I may even loosen them more than how they come stock. I am a smaller dude at 135 lbs so the trucks arent as squirrelly for me as some people made them out to be. They grinded very good on medal coping and the grind on curbs was very very good. I actually was doing way longer slappys than i do with indy or ventures with very little effort. The curb is nice and broken in, but these things went. Based off the 1st sesh, i can say i think i am fully converting to ace. Even the classics quality is better than indy to me but very similar feel if thats what you usually ride and dont want too much of a change, but a better feel. As long as the bushing hold up better than the indy bushing have been doing recently i am hooked already. I now understand the hype behind ace...its for a good reason

behavioralguide

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 769
  • dog stuff
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #6227 on: March 05, 2023, 02:45:32 AM »
Im not sure i like mine, came from 15+ years of indy

Most tricks that dont involve flipping are fine/better/same
But i seem to have lost all timings on nollie heels and sw bs flips for example. Ghost popping like crazy.

Might just be a steeper nose on the board but never lost it  like this before and i buy different shapes all the time

Diamond_Dallas_Pudge

• Rep: -46
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #6228 on: March 05, 2023, 04:16:34 AM »

But i seem to have lost all timings on nollie heels and sw bs flips for example. Ghost popping like crazy.

Might just be a steeper nose on the board but never lost it  like this before and i buy different shapes all the time

Throw some riser pads under them and it will bring you up to Indy Standard height

pops

• Rep: 241
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #6229 on: March 05, 2023, 05:30:43 AM »

I have had the exact opposite experience since my flipping game was the worst ever on Indy. I rode Indies (139-159) over 10 years before switching to Ace. I've been on Aces about three years now and there's no going back.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6230 on: March 05, 2023, 06:12:29 AM »
Fuck ing a. Switch backside flips?!? In my opinion those and probably switch varial flips are as hard as it gets.
I’m terrible tho.

I don’t know anyone that is real flippy that rides ace.

That Lavar gif is the best. Greatest misses goat. Just the whole shit/kit.

Watching Jacopo footage has me wanting to setup my af-1 44s 🙄

douchenozzle

• Rep: 32
  • "I am the party"-DLR
« Reply #6231 on: March 05, 2023, 08:45:03 AM »
I’m sure this has been answered but how are hard bones bushings in Aces? Curious about riding but have been riding Indy hollows for a good while now

DERBY

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 254
« Reply #6232 on: March 05, 2023, 09:31:47 AM »
I’m sure this has been answered but how are hard bones bushings in Aces? Curious about riding but have been riding Indy hollows for a good while now

bones bushings sorta messes up the geometry of aces

logjammin

« Reply #6233 on: March 05, 2023, 10:13:33 AM »
Even if you put washers underneath Bones bushings to make the geometry proper, they still don't turn anywhere near as good as Ace stock bushings. Imo, nothing beats em. Just ride Ace or Indy aftermarkets in the hard bushing offerings if you don't like the softer durometer of the stock Ace's.

jsettle

• Rep: 134
« Reply #6234 on: March 05, 2023, 01:44:44 PM »
Day 2 on the Aces classics ........in short, they are better than indy. Im kind of mad it took me this long to try aces. I love the 44 classic on the 8.25 deck. Very good match!

Nacho Maildrop

« Reply #6235 on: March 05, 2023, 03:55:56 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

you have orange pivot cups?

ask if these will work in af1's, i've no experience with them.

https://socalskateshop.com/Khiro-Logo-Pivot-Bushings-Large-Hard.html

Not even going to ask, just going to buy and try. Will report back.

logjammin

« Reply #6236 on: March 05, 2023, 04:13:02 PM »
Those are for longboard trucks and will be too big. The smalls are for tkp trucks, and the hard durometer is insanely hard.

Nacho Maildrop

« Reply #6237 on: March 05, 2023, 05:13:54 PM »
Hmmm, maybe not then. I know you said the Indy cups work but unless they changed them recently, I'm skeptical because I tried them early in the AF1 release timeline and they were too small.

Might try and 3D print some? I have enough sets of classics that I shouldn't be worrying about this but the madness is real.

logjammin

« Reply #6238 on: March 06, 2023, 06:21:28 AM »
Why are you opposed to just riding the AF1 stock pivot cups? Those and Riptides are both solid options.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6239 on: March 06, 2023, 06:34:35 AM »
Why are you opposed to just riding the AF1 stock pivot cups? Those and Riptides are both solid options.

For me, on my af-1 44s, the trucks are just to squiggly. I also lose pop, swerving instead of setting up.
Are the riptides more firm?