Author Topic: Ace trucks  (Read 747707 times)

goodatmeth

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 618
Re: Ace trucks
« Reply #6270 on: March 29, 2023, 07:13:30 AM »
Has anyone had any issues with bolts being able to be finger tightened on the axle? I just got some new af1 55s and I tried the bolts they came with and they just didn’t feel tight enough, even took the speed rings off so there was more room to tighten. I have tried multiple other bolts and they literally just spin freely, pretty disappointing.

Yeah, I just keep the rethreading axle nuts in case I actually need rethreading. If they even work for that, not sure.
I have no problem with any other normal axle nuts though.

So you're saying your actual axles are too small or something? Your "tried other bolts" is kind of confusing me, I'm assuming you mean other axle nuts

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1094
« Reply #6271 on: March 29, 2023, 07:13:48 AM »
Has anyone had any issues with bolts being able to be finger tightened on the axle? I just got some new af1 55s and I tried the bolts they came with and they just didn’t feel tight enough, even took the speed rings off so there was more room to tighten. I have tried multiple other bolts and they literally just spin freely, pretty disappointing.

Yeah, it's a dumb gimmick. Standard 5/16" nuts from the hardware store are like $.05 each. I always buy a bunch (like 10-20) and end up using them or giving them away when I'm out skating and someone's hardware is failing.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2023, 07:45:44 AM by manysnakes »
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

oliknight

« Reply #6272 on: March 29, 2023, 07:21:28 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Yeah, it's a dumb gimmick. Standard 5/16" nuts from the hardware store are like $.05 each. I always buy a bunch (like 10-20) and end up using them or giving them away when I'm out skating and someone hardware is failing.

Thanks, this is a great idea, don’t know why I didn’t think of it haha

streetmeat

• Rep: 170
« Reply #6273 on: March 29, 2023, 07:27:34 AM »
feel like i'm on borrowed time with my 44 Classics right now. i'm far beyond axel front and back, the back i'm damn near thru the bushing yolk and grinding on the bushing for feebles/smiths, the back washer/nut/kingpin has now fused into one single piece/the washer is about 60% existent at all, the front washer is so stretched out its almost slipping over the nut, the pivot cup feels and appears to be adding nothing of value but god dammit i'm committed to staying with them till they snap or completely fall apart while riding like Forest Gumps leg braces 

update: i did the 'insane' thing and rotated them right before i was sure i was going to grind straight through the bushing yolk and kingpin nut. rotated and replaced that nut. basically starting over with no groves on a set of trucks that are on your board that have groves but not in the right spots anymore sucks really bad! but i'm determined to make these MFers the most grinded trucks on earth.

shpongle

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 212
  • love everyOne and tell the truth
« Reply #6274 on: March 29, 2023, 08:05:06 AM »
Expand Quote
feel like i'm on borrowed time with my 44 Classics right now. i'm far beyond axel front and back, the back i'm damn near thru the bushing yolk and grinding on the bushing for feebles/smiths, the back washer/nut/kingpin has now fused into one single piece/the washer is about 60% existent at all, the front washer is so stretched out its almost slipping over the nut, the pivot cup feels and appears to be adding nothing of value but god dammit i'm committed to staying with them till they snap or completely fall apart while riding like Forest Gumps leg braces 
[close]

update: i did the 'insane' thing and rotated them right before i was sure i was going to grind straight through the bushing yolk and kingpin nut. rotated and replaced that nut. basically starting over with no groves on a set of trucks that are on your board that have groves but not in the right spots anymore sucks really bad! but i'm determined to make these MFers the most grinded trucks on earth.

Can i see or we see a picture of them?  :D

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6275 on: March 29, 2023, 08:10:56 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I do this with all my trucks. In fact, I usually don't pay attention to which was "front" and which was "back" when I set them up.

streetmeat

• Rep: 170
« Reply #6276 on: March 29, 2023, 09:10:18 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I do this with all my trucks. In fact, I usually don't pay attention to which was "front" and which was "back" when I set them up.

many people think this is an insane move!

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 679
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #6277 on: March 29, 2023, 12:01:36 PM »
i rotate trucks, i am on the same mission my friend.

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6278 on: March 29, 2023, 02:52:32 PM »
i rotate trucks, i am on the same mission my friend.

They lost longer this way ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Ok

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1112
« Reply #6279 on: March 29, 2023, 08:04:40 PM »
Anybody using the af1s without inside washers?
I really want to buy some low af1 44s…or 33s. I tend to skate 8s. And also 8.25s. And a lot of 8.125s. None of this matters, but yeah. Difficult choices

Wizard0f0dds

• Rep: 72
« Reply #6280 on: March 29, 2023, 08:14:32 PM »
I really want to buy some low af1 44s…or 33s. I tend to skate 8s. And also 8.25s. And a lot of 8.125s. None of this matters, but yeah. Difficult choices

I don't know if they are like the classics where the axle sticks out a bunch even with the washers, but if so I wouldn't. I use 3 washers inside each wheel on my classic 44s to avoid having to rethread them (and also it makes them closer to a 8.5 truck) so if they do stick out, I'd get the 33s and throw some extra washers that way you would have something resembling 8.125ish trucks.

Maybe someone else who actually owns a pair of AF1 could answer this: do the axle stick out a lot with just the regular speed rings?

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1029
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #6281 on: March 29, 2023, 09:49:12 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I don't know if they are like the classics where the axle sticks out a bunch even with the washers, but if so I wouldn't. I use 3 washers inside each wheel on my classic 44s to avoid having to rethread them (and also it makes them closer to a 8.5 truck) so if they do stick out, I'd get the 33s and throw some extra washers that way you would have something resembling 8.125ish trucks.

Maybe someone else who actually owns a pair of AF1 could answer this: do the axle stick out a lot with just the regular speed rings?

Ace trucks do seem to have very long axles compared to other brands, maybe the Classic version more so than the AF1s though.

I think I could fit four or more washers very easily on each side of Classics and still have lots of play in the wheel / bearings with the axle nut on flush, with three or four in the AF1s.

They also have a tapered end to the axles, so you can run no washers and it will still work, maybe depending on the bearings - some with longer bearing centres might work better than others with smaller bearing centres, that would cause the shields or other parts to rub if crushed. 

Edit:

That might not make sense, but the inside metal ring of the bearings do vary a bit between brands, sometimes even running spacers help with that too.

« Last Edit: March 29, 2023, 09:56:52 PM by Mbrimson88 »
I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

logjammin

• Rep: 336
« Reply #6282 on: March 30, 2023, 10:36:19 AM »
44 AF1's are definitely smaller than classic 44's. The hanger is only like 138mm wide compared to classics, or any other brand that offers an 8.25" truck. They work fine on an 8" I've done it with no washer on the inside and everything barely pokes out on the sides. Smallest I'd go with classic 44's is 8.125" deck.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6283 on: March 30, 2023, 02:01:40 PM »
44 AF1's are definitely smaller than classic 44's. The hanger is only like 138mm wide compared to classics, or any other brand that offers an 8.25" truck. They work fine on an 8" I've done it with no washer on the inside and everything barely pokes out on the sides. Smallest I'd go with classic 44's is 8.125" deck.

Thanks for all of the responses. This one seems very accurate, to my experience. The 44s are narrower. Makes me think the 33s would be best on 7.75s, which although having a permanent place in my heart, are not my usual daily.

logjammin

« Reply #6284 on: March 30, 2023, 02:13:37 PM »
7.75 yeah definitely go with 33's. I'll forever be attached to 44 AF1's, I wish they were the same size as the classics but extra axle washers help with that. AF1 55's have that classic 44 sized hanger with an 8.5 axle, but something about the numbers 44 when I look down...it just hits different <3

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6285 on: March 30, 2023, 02:23:59 PM »
7.75 yeah definitely go with 33's. I'll forever be attached to 44 AF1's, I wish they were the same size as the classics but extra axle washers help with that. AF1 55's have that classic 44 sized hanger with an 8.5 axle, but something about the numbers 44 when I look down...it just hits different <3

I’m trying to skate 8-8.25, shorter boards. Thanks for confirming af1 44s are the move.
I’ve been running my 44s with no inner ring, wondering if it was fucking up the bearings. The classics were more tapered...
I hated my af1s. A lot. Lately I’ve been into em…nutter

logjammin

« Reply #6286 on: March 30, 2023, 04:35:26 PM »
That taper on the classics is so inconsistent and wonky though. One side more conical than the other, sometimes even crooked so the contact point of the washer/bearing sits improperly. Haven't noticed that with the AF1's. They cleaned up their act. Glad you're digging them now, I went through the same motions with them. No need to go back to the classics but I sure hope they never go out of production. The option still needs to be there for an emergency.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6287 on: March 30, 2023, 08:48:44 PM »
I’ve had weird time with ace trucks: first run, 33s, I was all in. The white ones, thought they looked sick. Kinda bounced around, but in general liked em.
For me, aces work better with short wb’s, and I dunno why that is.
After a lifetime of skating ventures/thunders, I am used to putting the ball of my foot, on the top of the tail (more so with ventures, but still), and for me to get any pop with aces I need to bring my foot down the kick, closer to the axle.
The main problem with ace, for me, is that I’m not good enough. I skate too slow, and I’m trying to hang onto a few flip tricks and don’t do much else, and that might not be their strongest thrust.
Aces do work well/better with larger wheels (a big wheel for me is a 54), and that is a motivator. It’s nice to be able to venture out past the smooth parking lots.
Classics were rad, I didn’t have the qc issues others he, or they didn’t bother me as much. The clicking washers on the af1s, and the pivot cups are not my favorite. In the hand they feel of noticeably nicer quality, and the oversized axle does feel faster with the bearings.
I land less shot on aces. But I can be lazier, and that appeals.

baustin

• Rep: 117
« Reply #6288 on: March 31, 2023, 04:59:36 AM »
The clicking washers on the af1s, and the pivot cups are not my favorite.

Did you ever try taking them apart and rubbing wax on the contact points (inside the washers, kingpin, pivots)? I did this and it immediately quelled the clicking and made ‘em feel more fluid. It’s dumb to have to do something like that to an expensive skateboard truck but I’d recommend it if the clicking noise gets to you like it got to me.

Lou Strux

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2202
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
« Reply #6289 on: March 31, 2023, 09:49:45 AM »
The clicking washers on the af1s, and the pivot cups are not my favorite.
I've said this before: the clicking is just the sound of weakness leaving your trucks. ;)

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 679
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #6290 on: March 31, 2023, 10:36:00 AM »
The main problem with ace, for me, is that I’m not good enough.

if you are trying to always land stuff you arent comfortable with, then Aces are not a good fit imo
I have said before, i think a lot of being good at skateboarding, or having good style, comes down to being adaptable. If you want to learn new stuff, consistency is key.

i think thats why its easier to learn flip tricks with tight trucks. it is 1 less thing to juggle mentally - how your board is going to swerve when you go to place your feet / wind up / etc. also how it will affect the landing. it is more unpredictable in general. i think that is why tricks look so much better when done on looser trucks because they are adding another element to it.

Carrolls Chesthairs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 120
« Reply #6291 on: April 01, 2023, 06:57:27 AM »
What's been the ideal replacement bushing of choice?
I can't see myself skating blue or red bushings at this point in the game & I've retired from Bones.

toe_knee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 210
  • Get bent
« Reply #6292 on: April 01, 2023, 08:02:17 AM »
What's been the ideal replacement bushing of choice?
I can't see myself skating blue or red bushings at this point in the game & I've retired from Bones.

The ace hard bushings have been good to me, got the low ones. Riptide also makes AF1 bushings as well, had those in my ventures and they turned lol
You want some queso?”
Dan Drehobl to me at make a wish, while handing me a hotdog

rikki

• Rep: 284
« Reply #6293 on: April 02, 2023, 06:43:34 AM »
Ace hards are great. Always recommend them for peeps, especially those who find the stock ones (medium) too soft. They're not hard like Bones bushings at all. It's Ace. They will turn.

logjammin

« Reply #6294 on: April 02, 2023, 08:47:41 AM »
I find they actually make Ace's turn a lot shittier. The stock medium bushings are the soul of the truck. I recommend if people find them too soft to hold off on switching them out and let them firm up. If not, just swap out only the top bushings for something harder. I think a good trick is stock Ace bottom and a Bones medium top bushing with the flat washer. Super good rebound back to center and it firms them up a bit and adds stability.

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 618
« Reply #6295 on: April 05, 2023, 05:31:01 AM »
Here's the deal:

Classic hangers don't fit AF1 baseplates because the classic pivot is thicker and there's less space in the AF1 pivot cup.

AF1 hangers fit into the classic baseplate, but it wiggles because there's more space in the pivot cup.

Now here's the question: Are the actual pivot cup holes inside the baseplate the same size, so that you can just put an AF1 pivot cup into a classic baseplate and use it for AF1 hangers?

I need an AF1 baseplate and that would be great.

TLDR: Do AF1 pivot cups fit classic baseplates? Therefore making it an AF1 baseplate

Firebert

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 230
    • Instagram avatar image
« Reply #6296 on: April 05, 2023, 02:36:27 PM »
Here's the deal:

Classic hangers don't fit AF1 baseplates because the classic pivot is thicker and there's less space in the AF1 pivot cup.

AF1 hangers fit into the classic baseplate, but it wiggles because there's more space in the pivot cup.

Now here's the question: Are the actual pivot cup holes inside the baseplate the same size, so that you can just put an AF1 pivot cup into a classic baseplate and use it for AF1 hangers?

TLDR: Do AF1 pivot cups fit classic baseplates? Therefore making it an AF1 baseplate
They are the same size width, but the af1 pivot is maybe a hair taller (hand poured - some aren't perfect.) Mine stuck out a little bit, but I just took a razor to the excess to make it flush. Works great if you want the AF1 pivot cups and hollow hangers but on the good ol mag plate from the classic ACE

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6297 on: April 05, 2023, 04:52:14 PM »
Expand Quote
Here's the deal:

[close]
They are the same size width, but the af1 pivot is maybe a hair taller (hand poured - some aren't perfect.) Mine stuck out a little bit, but I just took a razor to the excess to make it flush. Works great if you want the AF1 pivot cups and hollow hangers but on the good ol mag plate from the classic ACE

Welcome back

Firebert

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 230
    • Instagram avatar image
« Reply #6298 on: April 05, 2023, 06:03:53 PM »
Welcome back
always watching  ;)

Wizard0f0dds

• Rep: 72
« Reply #6299 on: April 07, 2023, 11:37:32 AM »
Gonna get some AF1 hollows and I'm debating between 44s and 55s. I usually ride anything from 8.25 to 8.5, most of the time 8.38. Used to have some classic 44s which I loved but am currently skating 149s. What do you guys think? I'm leaning towards 55s... Probably gonna put some 53mm conical fulls on them.