Author Topic: Ace trucks  (Read 747797 times)

rikki

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 284
Re: Ace trucks
« Reply #6300 on: April 07, 2023, 12:13:22 PM »
If you ride 8.5 decks, I'd def go for the AF1 55s. AF1 44s on an 8.5 would be a tad too much magic carpet, unless you're into that kind of thing. 55s on an 8.25 makes more sense.

overwaxed

• Rep: 92
« Reply #6301 on: April 07, 2023, 12:45:36 PM »
If you ride 8.5 decks, I'd def go for the AF1 55s. AF1 44s on an 8.5 would be a tad too much magic carpet, unless you're into that kind of thing. 55s on an 8.25 makes more sense.
Hard agree - I'd even consider the 60's - I think AF1's are a bit undersized, the 55's work perfect on my 8.38

logjammin

• Rep: 336
« Reply #6302 on: April 07, 2023, 12:48:44 PM »
AF1 55's more or less equals the same size in the 44 classics. However, I've rode AF1 44's on 8.5 decks plenty and it's fine, just put some extra washers on the inside of each wheel.

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 618
« Reply #6303 on: April 07, 2023, 02:58:11 PM »
55 on 8.25+ all day. I regret getting the AF1 44s at first and they're on my cruiser now.

Currently riding 44 classics on 8.25 and for the first time I get what people mean by "squirrely". After mostly riding thunders, I felt like I can't stop doing tiny slalom carves when I try to go parallel to a ledge.

Tightened them down to about 1.5 threads showing on both kingpins, bushings firmed up a bit and now they feel amazing and stable.
Nose and tailslides after switching from thunder to ace are ridiculously fast and smooth. I've struggled with fs noseslides for the past month on thunders, today was my first time on the aces and suddenly they're super easy because I don't have to lock in absolutely perfect in order to slide. Love it. (This is only because it's a weird sticky ledge, thunders are great on other ledges)

Loose trucks saved slides

Wizard0f0dds

• Rep: 72
« Reply #6304 on: April 07, 2023, 04:32:33 PM »
Thanks for the replies guys!  :D

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1112
« Reply #6305 on: April 07, 2023, 04:51:46 PM »
55 on 8.25+ all day. I regret getting the AF1 44s at first and they're on my cruiser now.

Currently riding 44 classics on 8.25 and for the first time I get what people mean by "squirrely". After mostly riding thunders, I felt like I can't stop doing tiny slalom carves when I try to go parallel to a ledge.

Tightened them down to about 1.5 threads showing on both kingpins, bushings firmed up a bit and now they feel amazing and stable.
Nose and tailslides after switching from thunder to ace are ridiculously fast and smooth. I've struggled with fs noseslides for the past month on thunders, today was my first time on the aces and suddenly they're super easy because I don't have to lock in absolutely perfect in order to slide. Love it. (This is only because it's a weird sticky ledge, thunders are great on other ledges)

Loose trucks saved slides

I regretted getting the af1 44s, and now I’m into them. They work great on 8-8.25

I once slammed so awkwardly on a regular noseslide, with thunders, that I stopped skating them for a few years, and they are probably my preferred truck. I’m shit, in general, but especially on ledges

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1094
« Reply #6306 on: April 07, 2023, 05:34:54 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Hard agree - I'd even consider the 60's - I think AF1's are a bit undersized, the 55's work perfect on my 8.38

Backing this for the zillionth time. 44s are a perfect truck for my 8-8.18” decks, but they start to disappear even under the 8.25” I’m skating now. Not so much that I’d jump to 55s, but I can’t imagine skating the 44s on something like an 8.5”.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

pops

• Rep: 241
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #6307 on: April 07, 2023, 10:03:48 PM »
I think Af 55s work on 8.5 well just put 1 or 2 spacers inside. I use Af1 55s with two spacers inside axle on both my cruisers that are over 9" but super wide wheels makes them a perfect cruiser setup trucks.

Wizard0f0dds

« Reply #6308 on: April 10, 2023, 05:25:15 PM »
I just got my 55 AF1 hollows today and I'm glad I listened to you guys. The hangers are basically the exact same width as an Indy 144. The 44s would probably have been way too narrow for me.

rikki

• Rep: 284
« Reply #6309 on: April 11, 2023, 12:09:58 AM »
I just got my 55 AF1 hollows today and I'm glad I listened to you guys. The hangers are basically the exact same width as an Indy 144. The 44s would probably have been way too narrow for me.

Let us know how they are! I'm def interested in the hollows.

pops

• Rep: 241
« Reply #6310 on: April 11, 2023, 01:51:52 AM »

55s are a few mm wider.

Wizard0f0dds

« Reply #6311 on: April 11, 2023, 04:32:27 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

55s are a few mm wider.

Yes, but barely. The hangers are much closer to 144s than 149s. The axles are still 8.5" though.

baustin

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 117
« Reply #6312 on: April 11, 2023, 06:39:37 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

Backing this for the zillionth time. 44s are a perfect truck for my 8-8.18” decks, but they start to disappear even under the 8.25” I’m skating now. Not so much that I’d jump to 55s, but I can’t imagine skating the 44s on something like an 8.5”.

I like my AF1 44s on this 8.5 Chocolate Skidul “curb setup” of mine. Def some magic carpet up at the front bolts but pretty flush at the back bolts due to the tapered rails.

I grew up mostly skating 8” trucks on 8.125-8.25 decks though so I’m a bit of a magic carpet enthusiast I think. It allows me to skate a bigger size deck without feeling like I’ve gone all in on having a “big” board setup that isn’t good for flip tricks and whatnot. Like anything else it comes down to preference and what you want out your setup

Ok

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1112
« Reply #6313 on: April 11, 2023, 06:42:56 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]

I like my AF1 44s on this 8.5 Chocolate Skidul “curb setup” of mine. Def some magic carpet up at the front bolts but pretty flush at the back bolts due to the tapered rails.

I grew up mostly skating 8” trucks on 8.125-8.25 decks though so I’m a bit of a magic carpet enthusiast I think. It allows me to skate a bigger size deck without feeling like I’ve gone all in on having a “big” board setup that isn’t good for flip tricks and whatnot. Like anything else it comes down to preference and what you want out your setup

Yes.
I skated a bunch of 7.75s on 5.0s, and this is a similar ratio.
The af1 44s feel very deck size flexible, in a range I’m most likely to enjoy

GiftedBater

• Rep: 0
« Reply #6314 on: April 12, 2023, 07:20:15 PM »
Has anyone tried combining a normal af1 axle with the hollow af1 baseplate/kingpin? Basically making what they did with the low normal sized. I’m assuming the geometry is the same.

texasplant

• Rep: 84
« Reply #6315 on: April 12, 2023, 08:45:09 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

The advantage to the classics is that the actual axle is longer than a standard pair of trucks. I have enough room on the insides of my wheel to put 4 of the “wider” Ace washers which definitely makes them wide enough for 8.5s. On the opposite end, you can also run them without the washers since the hanger has a rounded shape to it. I’ve skated them comfortably on 8.1 - 8.6 depending on wheels
« Last Edit: April 14, 2023, 01:56:26 AM by texasplant »

toe_knee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 210
  • Get bent
« Reply #6316 on: April 13, 2023, 06:39:17 AM »
Has anyone tried combining a normal af1 axle with the hollow af1 baseplate/kingpin? Basically making what they did with the low normal sized. I’m assuming the geometry is the same.

So like a hollow AF1 with added weight because of the axle? I’m sure they are compatible, but what’s the reasoning? Why?
You want some queso?”
Dan Drehobl to me at make a wish, while handing me a hotdog

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 679
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #6317 on: April 13, 2023, 07:57:31 AM »
just realized that the indy bushings i am using in here are actually WAY lower than the stock ace bushings.  It has been working pretty damn great for me to be honest but I do want to see what its like with the stock bushings now.

IpathCats

« Reply #6318 on: April 13, 2023, 09:42:22 AM »

Nice, was just about to say get the 55's

more versatile IMO

narrow trucks get kinda sketchy at higher speeds.

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 679
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #6319 on: April 13, 2023, 11:15:32 AM »
just put the stock bushings back in. i dont know why i didnt try this in the first place. it feels fine, i dont think i really noticed any huge difference. it feels a bit more cushiony but i forgot i was on a different thing after like 1 minute. i suppose i had the option to go tighter on the indy bushings, but you really have to crank it down because they are so much more low profile. i didnt want it to go tighter. it feels like maybe you can go a bit deeper with softer bushings which is kinda scary but it feels really stable to me as far as trusting it. if i land good, i know the truck will be stable. still curious to know what the hard bushings feel like, maybe a little more support against wheelbite if you are launching down drops. but i guess i dont really need that cause i am not gonna be doin that.

I felt like I hardly had to crank down at all, like 2 threads it felt way too tight for me, and bushings werent squished at all.

be careful not to mix up the bottom washer either, the ace bottom washers are a little deeper to allow for more squish (i think? i could have got them mixed with the indys, but anyway i chose the deeper bottom washer to prevent squish) and it worked fine. I accidentally put one of the shallow ones, and it got squished right away and the bushing was coming out of the side  :o

the top washer is baiscally identical to the indy one though. could not tell difference between them.

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #6320 on: April 13, 2023, 10:45:07 PM »
just put the stock bushings back in. i dont know why i didnt try this in the first place. it feels fine, i dont think i really noticed any huge difference. it feels a bit more cushiony but i forgot i was on a different thing after like 1 minute. i suppose i had the option to go tighter on the indy bushings, but you really have to crank it down because they are so much more low profile. i didnt want it to go tighter. it feels like maybe you can go a bit deeper with softer bushings which is kinda scary but it feels really stable to me as far as trusting it. if i land good, i know the truck will be stable. still curious to know what the hard bushings feel like, maybe a little more support against wheelbite if you are launching down drops. but i guess i dont really need that cause i am not gonna be doin that.

I felt like I hardly had to crank down at all, like 2 threads it felt way too tight for me, and bushings werent squished at all.

be careful not to mix up the bottom washer either, the ace bottom washers are a little deeper to allow for more squish (i think? i could have got them mixed with the indys, but anyway i chose the deeper bottom washer to prevent squish) and it worked fine. I accidentally put one of the shallow ones, and it got squished right away and the bushing was coming out of the side  :o

the top washer is baiscally identical to the indy one though. could not tell difference between them.

Are you on Classics or AF1s? On Classics the bushings bulged out of the washers quite commonly. Haven’t had or heard that happen with AF1s. The washers on the Classics were rubbish (too small & too thick) IMO and I always changed them to normal ones. Haven’t had to do that with the AF1s.

Vaguely related to this:
I just recently set up a new cruiser with an old set of Ace 44 Classics. I’ve been mostly on AF1s since they came out. Initially I liked the Classics better but now I’m not so sure anymore. I felt more resistance to the turn with the Classics now. Kinda like on Krux but nowhere near as bad. Just that it wasn’t so easy to wheelbite as it should have been. I need to check the washers. Could be thatI have Ace washers in that set, which I probably haven’t skated in years, even though I think I threw all of the crappy Ace washers out years ago.

sbr

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • Rep: 130
« Reply #6321 on: April 14, 2023, 05:18:56 AM »
I have suffered through the clicking on almost all of the sets of AF1's I've had since they came out and only 1 of 4 sets I've skated had the issue go away on its own. It took me until now to realize the issue is the outer diameter of the top part of the top bushing does not "nest" in the top washer and when the bushing mushes during turns it causes the washer to shift and catch the kingpin threads. The urethane they use also is tackier than most companies use and I think that only amplifies the bushing grabbing against the underside of the washer enough to shift it around. I swapped my top bushing out for a Thunder top bushing and kept everything else bone stock and it seems to have gone away. Another plus to this is the Thunder top bushing is a tiny bit shorter so I'm able to get my kingpin nuts fully on the threads while keeping the trucks as loose as I want them to be. Hopefully, this puts an end to the click for good because it feels great and was a simple enough fix...

Small man, big board...
IG: s.b.r_

IpathCats

« Reply #6322 on: April 14, 2023, 06:22:53 AM »
I have suffered through the clicking on almost all of the sets of AF1's I've had since they came out and only 1 of 4 sets I've skated had the issue go away on its own. It took me until now to realize the issue is the outer diameter of the top part of the top bushing does not "nest" in the top washer and when the bushing mushes during turns it causes the washer to shift and catch the kingpin threads. The urethane they use also is tackier than most companies use and I think that only amplifies the bushing grabbing against the underside of the washer enough to shift it around. I swapped my top bushing out for a Thunder top bushing and kept everything else bone stock and it seems to have gone away. Another plus to this is the Thunder top bushing is a tiny bit shorter so I'm able to get my kingpin nuts fully on the threads while keeping the trucks as loose as I want them to be. Hopefully, this puts an end to the click for good because it feels great and was a simple enough fix...

you are shaping up to be a great poster man, keep it up. bonus points for 56mm classics (my favorite wheel)

sbr

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • Rep: 130
« Reply #6323 on: April 14, 2023, 08:10:07 AM »
you are shaping up to be a great poster man, keep it up. bonus points for 56mm classics (my favorite wheel)

I appreciate that since I'm otherwise an OCD headcase in search of the perfect setup hahaha. I rode Conical Fulls for a while and went back to Classics about 4 or so years ago and somehow feel like my grind lock-in is dramatically better with them. When I started having issues with the bearings moving in the bearing seats I started trying different shapes and sizes, but since it happens on everything I landed back on F4 56mm Classics because for whatever reason they work the best for me. Anything with a wider contact patch feels so unbelievably slow to me lol
Small man, big board...
IG: s.b.r_

FatGuy92

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 577
« Reply #6324 on: April 14, 2023, 08:23:52 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

55s are a few mm wider.

so is the consensus that with axel width, af1s are pretty spot on, but hanger width is slightly smaller than other trucks of the same size?

Wizard0f0dds

« Reply #6325 on: April 14, 2023, 09:00:31 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

55s are a few mm wider.
[close]

so is the consensus that with axel width, af1s are pretty spot on, but hanger width is slightly smaller than other trucks of the same size?

Yeah, they are spot on 8.5", but the hangers are much smaller. I've compared them to 5.8s (my 149s are currently set up and waiting to kill that deck before setting up the 55s) and 144s, here are the pics:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/198084014@N05/with/52816545177/

FatGuy92

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 577
« Reply #6326 on: April 14, 2023, 09:49:15 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

55s are a few mm wider.
[close]

[close]

Yeah, they are spot on 8.5", but the hangers are much smaller. I've compared them to 5.8s (my 149s are currently set up and waiting to kill that deck before setting up the 55s) and 144s, here are the pics:

damn thanks for the pics! super helpful!

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 618
« Reply #6327 on: April 14, 2023, 10:18:29 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

55s are a few mm wider.
[close]

[close]

My AF1 55 hangers are 147mm. Those ventures look huge.

Wizard0f0dds

« Reply #6328 on: April 14, 2023, 11:09:57 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

55s are a few mm wider.
[close]

[close]

[close]

My AF1 55 hangers are 147mm. Those ventures look huge.

The venture hangers are 150mm. The 55s hangers are 147mm if you count the tapered part, but the flat surface before the taper comes in around 145.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2023, 11:19:24 AM by Wizard0f0dds »

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1029
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #6329 on: April 14, 2023, 06:12:36 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

55s are a few mm wider.
[close]

[close]

[close]

damn thanks for the pics! super helpful!

Yep, sure is a funny one.

I had put four or so washers on the inside of each axle just to get the wheels to sit nicely on the AF1 55s on an 8.5" board I put them on without having too much axle sticking out, but it looks a bit weird having so many washers on there with anything other than wider wheels - right now with 56mm Classic Full shaped Spitfires, so they cover it well.

Other people just run them as is and they look more like Indy 144s on their 8.5 boards.

Just down to how you prefer your setup to feel.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.