Author Topic: Ace trucks  (Read 738978 times)

rawbertson.

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 651
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
Re: Ace trucks
« Reply #6360 on: April 24, 2023, 08:30:01 AM »
i still have not been able to get the hard bushings but i dont evne think i want them anymore anyway. It feels pretty damn perfect for how I want this setup. the one thing i guess i would say that maybe i would want the harder bushings is i feel like Aces kinda absorb a ton of your speed when you come off a big drop. it feels really cushiony when you land. if these soft ones get really blown out before i hit axle, i will probably give the hard bushings a try if i cna get them just to see if its any better. my friend said it wasnt that much different it still absorbs the speed a lot but he really prefers the turning.
ONTARIO CANADA

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 609
« Reply #6361 on: April 24, 2023, 08:39:51 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
General Question: would it be possible to mix a ace-low baseplate with classic 44 hangers? Or are only AF1s fitting the news baseplates?
Would i get a low truck thats 8.35 wide? Since the baseplate is what makes the ace-lows low.
[close]

Doesn't fit. The classic hanger nub is too big for the af1 pivot cup
[close]
You can use any other classic pivot cups, and it will fit.

Are you sure? I recently wondered about this as well. If simply changing the pivot cup makes it work that would be sick. All I know it that the hanger nubs, as well as the aftermarket pivot cups for classic and AF1 are different sizes. The big question is if the actual pivot cavities are the same size.

rikki

• Rep: 236
« Reply #6362 on: April 24, 2023, 09:24:32 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Trying my AF1's on my regular setup again. Seeing pics of ACE dudes with them all cranked down made me think i should just try to run them tighter.

Roughly 3 threads showing, ACE hard bushings.

Feels pretty decent/stable and I can still get a great turn if i lean into it. I felt like on indy's i had to choose between surfy and stable. I'm hoping to get a more balanced mix of the two with the aces tightened more than i initially thought appropriate.

Should probably put this in the madness thread haha.
[close]

I'm into the Stage 4 Indy's. They are amazing trucks. Somehow both stable and surfy. Coming from Ace where it was just surfy all the way with stock bushings.
[close]

The ace hard bushings make them feel less crazy, especially when you have them tightened down a bit. I have  about 3 threads showing.

Feeling goooood.

Fully agreed, the Ace hards were a game changer for me, was nearly ready to give up on Ace trucks altogether before I realized how great combination of turnability and stability the hard bushings can provide.

turdtastic

• Rep: 47
« Reply #6363 on: April 24, 2023, 11:51:46 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Trying my AF1's on my regular setup again. Seeing pics of ACE dudes with them all cranked down made me think i should just try to run them tighter.

Roughly 3 threads showing, ACE hard bushings.

Feels pretty decent/stable and I can still get a great turn if i lean into it. I felt like on indy's i had to choose between surfy and stable. I'm hoping to get a more balanced mix of the two with the aces tightened more than i initially thought appropriate.

Should probably put this in the madness thread haha.
[close]

I'm into the Stage 4 Indy's. They are amazing trucks. Somehow both stable and surfy. Coming from Ace where it was just surfy all the way with stock bushings.
[close]

The ace hard bushings make them feel less crazy, especially when you have them tightened down a bit. I have  about 3 threads showing.

Feeling goooood.
[close]

Fully agreed, the Ace hards were a game changer for me, was nearly ready to give up on Ace trucks altogether before I realized how great combination of turnability and stability the hard bushings can provide.
Being a bigger guy, I had to go Bones Hard to get a little more stability, as the Ace shards weren’t hard enough.
Added flat washers on the bottom and top to hide some of those extra threads that keep getting talked about.
Madness averted for the time being.
On a different note, the AF1s grind faster/feel harder, but seem to “rip” easier than my Classics did.
Caught the hanger on the kingpin loop weird on metal edged ledge and it tore my AF1s and left a jagged piece hanging there; where any other trucks I’ve had would just seem to dent when something like this happens.
Maybe random, or has anyone else had something like this happen?

Bumba

• Rep: 32
« Reply #6364 on: May 01, 2023, 02:42:48 PM »
Does anyone trim down the stock bushings. I like medium loose trucks but the nylock on my bolt isn't fully engaged I guess so they keep phantom loosening. Thinking about either shaving down the top bushing or using some loctite.

Also tempted to switch out to Indy conical bushings if anyone's tried it. They turn good but just stop deep into the turn and the wheels come off the ground.

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #6365 on: May 01, 2023, 04:27:12 PM »
Does anyone trim down the stock bushings. I like medium loose trucks but the nylock on my bolt isn't fully engaged I guess so they keep phantom loosening. Thinking about either shaving down the top bushing or using some loctite.

Also tempted to switch out to Indy conical bushings if anyone's tried it. They turn good but just stop deep into the turn and the wheels come off the ground.

I think most people found Ace bushings a bit soft, but when I put the Indy stock bushings in (which were shorter) they made everything so very loose indeed, so even just try any other stock top bushings you have around, or even leave off the bottom bushing washer to see if that makes a difference, without having to cut or buy anything.

As to cutting down the bushing, yes I have cut down everything - pretty much every brand truck and bushing, mainly when the truck is being worn to axle and the lower top bushing is needed for more clearance, but it is still the same, cutting a mm or so off the bottom of the top bushing makes it feel way looser, or means you can tighten the nut down lower on the kingpin for the same amount of turn with a lot more clearance.

At least feeling it out a bit first or doing the mix and match should help to figure out the best solution, but cutting down the top bushing is something you get used to doing easily enough, but can be a pain if you are not used to it.

I know a few people who leave off the bottom washer completely for the life of the trucks, to really get a lot more turn out of them, so that might be a good one to start with and just see how that feels for you.
I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #6366 on: May 01, 2023, 09:39:50 PM »

If you’re on Ace Classics change the washers first. They’re thicker than pretty much all other washers and too small otherwise so the bushings might bulge over. Changing to more normal washers really frees up the turn.

If that doesn’t help you can cut down the top bushing like @Mbrimson88 suggested. I did so once on my really worn down 44 Classics where the kingpin nut had worn down to a wedge so thin it wouldn’t stay on anymore. You can get the trucks crazy loose that way. I tightened the trucks down until they felt similar to nut flush with the stock bushings and I didn’t notice any significant difference in the trucks other than the nut staying on until the trucks were ground to half.

Bumba

« Reply #6367 on: May 02, 2023, 07:01:47 AM »
Thanks for the help. I'm on classics and I removed the bottom washer for now. The kingpin nut is on way better but it's messed with the geometry a bit. The top bushing was sitting crooked until I tightened it. I'll test it out for a week and see how it goes

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 609
« Reply #6368 on: May 02, 2023, 08:02:42 AM »
Thanks for the help. I'm on classics and I removed the bottom washer for now. The kingpin nut is on way better but it's messed with the geometry a bit. The top bushing was sitting crooked until I tightened it. I'll test it out for a week and see how it goes
How much do you weigh? I'm like 59kg/130pounds and ace classics with the nut just fully engaged are insanely soft for anything other than just cruising. I'm at 1.5 threads showing and it's still turny but stable enough.

Bumba

« Reply #6369 on: May 02, 2023, 03:17:22 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
How much do you weigh? I'm like 59kg/130pounds and ace classics with the nut just fully engaged are insanely soft for anything other than just cruising. I'm at 1.5 threads showing and it's still turny but stable enough.

I've never actually weighed myself but I'm a very slim built, average sized man. I'm coming from Indy's with conical 90a orange bushings so I'm trying to recreate that feeling. I used to only date bones but they always explode. I don't think I'm a massive fan of cylinder bushings.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #6370 on: May 02, 2023, 04:36:58 PM »

Yeah that is the only down side to trying it without the bottom washer.

At least you can feel it out and then if that is what works, just remove 1 mm from the top bushing, otherwise if it still doesn't work in the way you want, take 2 mm off the bottom of the top bushing and that should be pretty much perfect.

I learned a while back not to take too much off, but then for some people it needed more than just 1 mm removed, so I got used to working out how much by experimenting, as well as having people try it like that for a session or however long, some of which just left it like that and were happy.

If you did have Indy bushings, try the top stock Indy bushing on there too, just to see what that is like.

Bumba

« Reply #6371 on: May 02, 2023, 05:23:57 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

At least you can feel it out and then if that is what works, just remove 1 mm from the top bushing, otherwise if it still doesn't work in the way you want, take 2 mm off the bottom of the top bushing and that should be pretty much perfect.

I learned a while back not to take too much off, but then for some people it needed more than just 1 mm removed, so I got used to working out how much by experimenting, as well as having people try it like that for a session or however long, some of which just left it like that and were happy.

If you did have Indy bushings, try the top stock Indy bushing on there too, just to see what that is like.

By talking about washers you've opened up a new stage of gear madness in me. I'm now researching bushing washer types haha.

I'm not sure if I'm tripping but the bottom bushing washer on Aces are a really tight cup whereas other trucks like Indy have a mellow angle cup washer (hope this makes sense, stay with me).

My issue with Ace is that deep into the carve it just stops giving even if you keep putting weight in and the wheels start lifting up. I wonder if this is caused by the washers they use instead. I'm going to test some different washers. If anyone's interested then I'll return with my findings.

fulfillthedream

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 305
« Reply #6372 on: May 02, 2023, 06:51:23 PM »
 I tried ace's for a bit around 2014 for a couple weeks and they had that bad axel slip at that time.  After skating thunders for years I decided to give them a try again as the new AF1s seem to have a lot of praise on here as well as what i've seen from lots of skaters.  i got the AF1 44

i had a session at my park today of just skating mostly flat and ledges and a quarter pipe and they worked so well! im not sure what it was but i had one of those sessions where you land damn near everything.

as far as adjusting them i didnt really change the bushings or anything else just tightened them a little.

Skateboarding is like jacking-off, it's that good- Jeremy Klein

[

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #6373 on: May 02, 2023, 07:12:00 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

By talking about washers you've opened up a new stage of gear madness in me. I'm now researching bushing washer types haha.

I'm not sure if I'm tripping but the bottom bushing washer on Aces are a really tight cup whereas other trucks like Indy have a mellow angle cup washer (hope this makes sense, stay with me).

My issue with Ace is that deep into the carve it just stops giving even if you keep putting weight in and the wheels start lifting up. I wonder if this is caused by the washers they use instead. I'm going to test some different washers. If anyone's interested then I'll return with my findings.

This is not normal even with the stock washers I’d say. Nut is flush? Definitely change them out. I can get a bunch of wheelbite on Aces even with 50 mm wheels and 1/8” risers. Like I said earlier, the stock washers suck. They are too thick and cup the bushings too much. Like you’ve noticed, normal washers also have a more mellow “concave” (:D).

nopopnostyle

• Rep: 30
« Reply #6374 on: May 03, 2023, 10:03:53 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I am interested and I think you're on to something here. I found the more the bottom washer cups the bushing, the earlier the lean of the hanger gets limited. Recently had bushing madness which led to trying different washers as well. Haven't tried Ace Washers but had the Problem you described with Indys and pretty soft Riptide Bushings. Their bottom washers are also thicker and cup the bushing more than the Indy washers. For me Indy washers solved the problem just right.

I also tried the small flat washers by Riptide and they allow even more lean, but are also a little thicker than the Indy washers, thus changing the geo of my Stage 11s. But since someone mentioned that Ace washers are also thicker, this might be interesting for you and other Ace Riders who want more lean without changing the geometry. If anyones interested I have calipers and could measure the Riptide washers thickness.

Bumba

« Reply #6375 on: May 03, 2023, 03:13:30 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

I am interested and I think you're on to something here. I found the more the bottom washer cups the bushing, the earlier the lean of the hanger gets limited. Recently had bushing madness which led to trying different washers as well. Haven't tried Ace Washers but had the Problem you described with Indys and pretty soft Riptide Bushings. Their bottom washers are also thicker and cup the bushing more than the Indy washers. For me Indy washers solved the problem just right.

I also tried the small flat washers by Riptide and they allow even more lean, but are also a little thicker than the Indy washers, thus changing the geo of my Stage 11s. But since someone mentioned that Ace washers are also thicker, this might be interesting for you and other Ace Riders who want more lean without changing the geometry. If anyones interested I have calipers and could measure the Riptide washers thickness.

Okay I'll definitely report back then. I've got some Indy washers and they look pretty nice as the cup isn't too severe. I'll try no washers first as I guess this is what a totally flat washer would feel like. Time for some severe madness haha

Fartknocker415

• Rep: -45
« Reply #6376 on: May 03, 2023, 03:43:56 PM »
Dog this washer talk makes me visualize u guys literally standing in the board riding and leaning to turn and getting off mid turn to inspect the washers.... I can't imagine the madness once you finally ride up to the object...

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1117
« Reply #6377 on: May 03, 2023, 04:27:23 PM »
Found this Ace rethreading nut at a curb spot the other day. Shit just comes right off.

This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6378 on: May 03, 2023, 05:58:37 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Okay I'll definitely report back then. I've got some Indy washers and they look pretty nice as the cup isn't too severe. I'll try no washers first as I guess this is what a totally flat washer would feel like. Time for some severe madness haha

Yes washers can definitely have a significant impact on things, so finding some good ones will help!

Found this Ace rethreading nut at a curb spot the other day. Shit just comes right off.

The most troublesome part of the Ace nuts is the nyloc seems to lose the lock very easily, when compared to normal nuts, from what others have said, so any Ace AF1 trucks I have come through my hands, I have taken the nuts off to put aside in the "Wonders of the modern world" box and put normal ones on and had no issues.

BartHarleyJarvis

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1082
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #6379 on: May 13, 2023, 09:08:07 AM »

Finally found a set of these, seriously a night and day difference. I’m running AF1 low 55 hollows and after a couple of weeks the bushings were still SO mushy, unskateably loose, even cranked down with 2-3 threads showing.

These immediately feel so much better. Kingpin nut basically flush, everything feels super stable especially setting up for tricks, but I can still get a super deep ace turn if I want it.

I’m heavier at 200 pounds so if you’re lighter these may not work, but for me they’re exactly what I was hoping for

IpathCats

« Reply #6380 on: May 13, 2023, 11:08:36 AM »

Finally found a set of these, seriously a night and day difference. I’m running AF1 low 55 hollows and after a couple of weeks the bushings were still SO mushy, unskateably loose, even cranked down with 2-3 threads showing.

These immediately feel so much better. Kingpin nut basically flush, everything feels super stable especially setting up for tricks, but I can still get a super deep ace turn if I want it.

I’m heavier at 200 pounds so if you’re lighter these may not work, but for me they’re exactly what I was hoping for

Damn, hell yea. Idk they made these for lows. They were a game changer on the reg height for sure.

toe_knee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 202
  • Get bent
« Reply #6381 on: May 13, 2023, 11:37:29 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Damn, hell yea. Idk they made these for lows. They were a game changer on the reg height for sure.

Got them in mine as well, they seriously did the trick, yea it was hard setting up tricks until I switched them out
You want some queso?”
Dan Drehobl to me at make a wish, while handing me a hotdog

intendedreceivers

• Rep: 204
« Reply #6382 on: May 13, 2023, 01:24:43 PM »

I’m only like 140 lbs., and I felt the same way as soon as I got these. They are the best, especially in the Lows. I don’t mind the stock bushings in the Ace Highs, but the way the hard bushings turn when you go flush/just have a little tension is exactly how you described it; still get 90% of the Ace turn and feel, but a lot more control, and they do a really good job chilling out the wheelbite.

Fartknocker415

• Rep: -45
« Reply #6383 on: May 13, 2023, 01:49:11 PM »
I tried ace's for a bit around 2014 for a couple weeks and they had that bad axel slip at that time.  After skating thunders for years I decided to give them a try again as the new AF1s seem to have a lot of praise on here as well as what i've seen from lots of skaters.  i got the AF1 44

i had a session at my park today of just skating mostly flat and ledges and a quarter pipe and they worked so well! im not sure what it was but i had one of those sessions where you land damn near everything.

as far as adjusting them i didnt really change the bushings or anything else just tightened them a little.

Hell yeah thats wassup. I had similar experience kinda- af144 was my first new truck in ages and I was really bummed to have to break in a new pair of trucks. lo and behold it was painless and I barely even felt a 'breaking in' period with them besides just not having grooves. Turned so good for me from the jump and weren't difficult to get used to at all. Pretty koo.

fuhkin_powahfood_kid

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1351
« Reply #6384 on: May 17, 2023, 09:41:07 PM »
Retired my 159s and sized down to some 44 classix. I like the way they skate, really responsive turning. Im dedicating time to learn to have a good and comfortable switch push and cruise, so pushing like a mile or more to get a coffee or something. Its brutal and my weight distribution is kinda all over the place, these 44s however make it feel easier than my 159s. Smaller trucks that feel more balanced but also seem to engage in sharp turns faster.

These stock bushings are still too squeaky though  :-\

But they grind nice and feel good
If you plant ice, you’re gonna harvest wind

modern life is war

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -617
« Reply #6385 on: May 28, 2023, 03:06:30 PM »
Tried out my classic 55s for the first time today skating a flow section of a park. I got the trucks to a good mid point of tightness after changing out the top cup washer for a flat washer. Not necessarily as 'surfy' as I expected, I didn't feel like the turn was any tighter than standard indys, although it did feel more stable. Not sure if it's just because they're new trucks and I don't have a groove but they grinded slow on pool coping compared to indys.

Overall I'm a fan, they feel great, but if I were to choose between these and indys I probably wouldn't really care which one I was riding. Maybe I just need to break in the bushing more to get the ace turn that everyone raves about.
You’re a Florida native, aren’t you?

IpathCats

« Reply #6386 on: May 28, 2023, 03:09:49 PM »
Tried out my classic 55s for the first time today skating a flow section of a park. I got the trucks to a good mid point of tightness after changing out the top cup washer for a flat washer. Not necessarily as 'surfy' as I expected, I didn't feel like the turn was any tighter than standard indys, although it did feel more stable. Not sure if it's just because they're new trucks and I don't have a groove but they grinded slow on pool coping compared to indys.

Overall I'm a fan, they feel great, but if I were to choose between these and indys I probably wouldn't really care which one I was riding. Maybe I just need to break in the bushing more to get the ace turn that everyone raves about.

The ace classics use a softer alloy on the hanger, lots of people like it and describe the grind as "buttery" but I think it feels slow too.

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1117
« Reply #6387 on: May 28, 2023, 03:10:44 PM »

I'm currently on Ace, but I don't find that the difference between Ace and Indy is particularly noticeable, especially when I switch to my Indys with Ace bushings.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

Puddy Smally

• Rep: 111
« Reply #6388 on: May 28, 2023, 03:33:38 PM »
I just wanna know when the ToA collabs are dropping here in the US.
Do you get deja vu, huh?

DERBY

• Rep: 226
« Reply #6389 on: May 28, 2023, 03:52:41 PM »
I just wanna know when the ToA collabs are dropping here in the US.

they should be up at some stores. pretty available here down in canada