Author Topic: Ace trucks  (Read 738989 times)

logjammin

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 312
Re: Ace trucks
« Reply #6390 on: May 28, 2023, 07:17:19 PM »
Tried out my classic 55s for the first time today skating a flow section of a park. I got the trucks to a good mid point of tightness after changing out the top cup washer for a flat washer. Not necessarily as 'surfy' as I expected, I didn't feel like the turn was any tighter than standard indys, although it did feel more stable. Not sure if it's just because they're new trucks and I don't have a groove but they grinded slow on pool coping compared to indys.

Overall I'm a fan, they feel great, but if I were to choose between these and indys I probably wouldn't really care which one I was riding. Maybe I just need to break in the bushing more to get the ace turn that everyone raves about.

Ever since they widened the V on the classics in the middle of the hanger in their version 3, it made them turn different. I think it adds more of a stable feeling at the cost of them having crazy responsiveness with the slightest move, which I personally love and prefer. Not to say they aren’t turny, they definitely still are, there is still very much responsiveness but man those version 1’s with the skinny hangers that bent were nuts. That’s what got me for life when I stepped on them in like…2013 or around there. The turning just totally killed Indy. I still look for them on eBay. If I would have known, I’d have bought enough sets to last me forever. I also think they looked the best out of all, including the AF1’s.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1094
« Reply #6391 on: May 28, 2023, 09:20:12 PM »
Expand Quote
Tried out my classic 55s for the first time today skating a flow section of a park. I got the trucks to a good mid point of tightness after changing out the top cup washer for a flat washer. Not necessarily as 'surfy' as I expected, I didn't feel like the turn was any tighter than standard indys, although it did feel more stable. Not sure if it's just because they're new trucks and I don't have a groove but they grinded slow on pool coping compared to indys.

Overall I'm a fan, they feel great, but if I were to choose between these and indys I probably wouldn't really care which one I was riding. Maybe I just need to break in the bushing more to get the ace turn that everyone raves about.
[close]

Ever since they widened the V on the classics in the middle of the hanger in their version 3, it made them turn different. I think it adds more of a stable feeling at the cost of them having crazy responsiveness with the slightest move, which I personally love and prefer. Not to say they aren’t turny, they definitely still are, there is still very much responsiveness but man those version 1’s with the skinny hangers that bent were nuts. That’s what got me for life when I stepped on them in like…2013 or around there. The turning just totally killed Indy. I still look for them on eBay. If I would have known, I’d have bought enough sets to last me forever. I also think they looked the best out of all, including the AF1’s.

i only rode the 33s, right when they came out, and then for the next several years off and on. i don’t think i tried 44s till about 10 years ago.
correct, the older skinnier ones looked the best. as good as any truck ever, to me. the only competition, totally subjective, would be a certain era of ventures, that i like just a bit more. but if Pupecki and Shao had ridden ace i dunno.

i can’t get the ace classic 55s out of my head, and that i like them makes no sense

pops

• Rep: 220
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #6392 on: May 28, 2023, 09:23:03 PM »

Finally found a set of these, seriously a night and day difference. I’m running AF1 low 55 hollows and after a couple of weeks the bushings were still SO mushy, unskateably loose, even cranked down with 2-3 threads showing.

These immediately feel so much better. Kingpin nut basically flush, everything feels super stable especially setting up for tricks, but I can still get a super deep ace turn if I want it.

I’m heavier at 200 pounds so if you’re lighter these may not work, but for me they’re exactly what I was hoping for

I'm slightly over 171 pounds and prefer the hard bushings. I skate the standard height Af1s. These helped with getting a more consistent pop because they provide more stability but still have an excellent carve I need when cruising at fast speed. I didn't like that I had to to tighten my trucks so much with the regular bushings so definitely recommend these who need more stability but dont want to sacrifice the turn.

TheLowerBack

• Rep: 171
  • GTU/FWD
« Reply #6393 on: May 28, 2023, 10:02:42 PM »
Expand Quote
I just wanna know when the ToA collabs are dropping here in the US.
[close]

they should be up at some stores. pretty available here down in canada
The only link I saw had them listed for $95 a set? Why?

Wizard0f0dds

• Rep: 72
« Reply #6394 on: May 29, 2023, 03:56:02 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

$95 CAD equals to a little under $70 US.

rikki

• Rep: 238
« Reply #6395 on: May 29, 2023, 05:18:44 AM »
A while ago I was riding the Classics for a while and had gotten used to the soft/slower grind. Lo and behold, once I got on a pair of new Indys for a change, I almost died on my first fs 50-50 grind as they felt like I was on ice and the board just sped off from below me.

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1117
« Reply #6396 on: May 29, 2023, 06:56:33 AM »
A while ago I was riding the Classics for a while and had gotten used to the soft/slower grind. Lo and behold, once I got on a pair of new Indys for a change, I almost died on my first fs 50-50 grind as they felt like I was on ice and the board just sped off from below me.

I'm currently on a pair of AF-1s, and they grind well, but yeah, Independent isn't lying when they say "built to grind". I've ended up replacing trucks merely because the grind felt shitty when they were new and I wasn't willing to break them in.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

BartHarleyJarvis

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1082
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #6397 on: May 29, 2023, 08:14:32 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I'm currently on a pair of AF-1s, and they grind well, but yeah, Independent isn't lying when they say "built to grind". I've ended up replacing trucks merely because the grind felt shitty when they were new and I wasn't willing to break them in.

I feel like I’m in the minority but I really can’t get behind the AF1 grind. I’ll need to try some classics at some point

IpathCats

« Reply #6398 on: May 29, 2023, 11:50:59 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Every truck has their pros/cons

Indy wins in the grind department hands down as far as I'm concerned.

AF1s and lurpivs tied for second imo.

Then thunder

Venture last

I'd say I enjoy the grind on ace classics and thunders about the same, but the grind is pretty different on both.

However, I will say that the softer grind on the classics does provide a bit of grip and confidence on coping (at the cost of speed/distance) which made it easier to learn certain grinds.

Even if I eventually felt like they were slowing those same grinds down once it started getting better at them.

modern life is war

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -617
« Reply #6399 on: May 29, 2023, 01:42:08 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Then thunder

Venture last

I'd say I enjoy the grind on ace classics and thunders about the same, but the grind is pretty different on both.

However, I will say that the softer grind on the classics does provide a bit of grip and confidence on coping (at the cost of speed/distance) which made it easier to learn certain grinds.

Even if I eventually felt like they were slowing those same grinds down once it started getting better at them.

Do you just mean the grind on pool coping?

The grind on steel coping is great so far, but that's to be expected from new trucks
You’re a Florida native, aren’t you?

GBLange

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 274
« Reply #6400 on: May 29, 2023, 04:34:52 PM »
so, there's samples of size 80s Ace currently in testing? 10inch as heard on Fos Nine Club

IpathCats

« Reply #6401 on: May 29, 2023, 05:23:13 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Then thunder

Venture last

[close]

The grind on steel coping is great so far, but that's to be expected from new trucks

Nah, they grinded slower on just about everything.

Lou Strux

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2156
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
« Reply #6402 on: May 29, 2023, 08:30:59 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Then thunder

Venture last

[close]

[close]

Agree: they feel like there’s peanut butter on the hanger, or the ledge/curb/coping. I did NOT like it at first, but I’ve grown to enjoy the softer feel of the grind.
I regularly switch between AF1s, Classics & Stage 11s in any given session & I like them all for their own reasons, but that classic grind just feels slower than the Indys and AF1s to me.
Metallurgy… Meh.

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

TheLowerBack

• GTU/FWD
« Reply #6403 on: May 29, 2023, 10:09:51 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

$95 CAD equals to a little under $70 US.
Welp. I’m a moron. My bad

Puddy Smally

• Rep: 111
« Reply #6404 on: June 01, 2023, 09:00:29 AM »
ToA collab is live.
Do you get deja vu, huh?

GBLange

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 274
« Reply #6405 on: June 01, 2023, 07:18:56 PM »
ToA collab is live.

🔥🔥🔥🤟🔥🔥🔥

bombsaway86

• Rep: 152
« Reply #6406 on: June 01, 2023, 09:48:21 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Then thunder

Venture last

[close]

[close]

My first pair of AF1s had a real sticky feeling grind. I ended up giving them away and going back to Indy’s. I was missing the Ace turn, so I gave them another try and this set grinds so much better. There’s a mix of people on here who say the grind is great vs not great. Either they changed the metal and you got an older set, or the metal is just inconsistent. With Ace’s track record of QC, I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s just inconsistent

chronicbackpain

• Rep: 156
« Reply #6407 on: June 02, 2023, 04:56:04 AM »
Expand Quote
ToA collab is live.
[close]

in stock at Orchard and Kinetic

Edit:
303 has them for $60/set instead of ~$75.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2023, 07:10:58 AM by chronicbackpain »

shpongle

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 200
  • love everyOne and tell the truth
« Reply #6408 on: June 08, 2023, 07:38:55 AM »

new size af1 80 trucks… anyone know what size these are??

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1117
« Reply #6409 on: June 08, 2023, 08:17:48 AM »
Right now, they max out trucks at 9.5". I imagine that this is their 10" competitor to the Indy 215, but that's pure speculation.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 609
« Reply #6410 on: June 08, 2023, 08:36:40 AM »
Yeah they're 10". Still haven't seen the new 10" thunders anywhere, maybe these will take over the big boy market. However big that market is, never seen anybody skate 215s in person

TheCrimsonShroud

• Rep: 98
« Reply #6411 on: June 08, 2023, 08:50:32 AM »
I am really tempted to get some aces for my shapes 9.25. I have two sets of Indy and a set of Venture. Kinda wanna branch out but need something big enough for the phattie to justify the purchase

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 651
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #6412 on: June 08, 2023, 10:37:40 AM »
Yeah they're 10". Still haven't seen the new 10" thunders anywhere, maybe these will take over the big boy market. However big that market is, never seen anybody skate 215s in person

i skate my friends board quite a bit that is like a 10.5" Madness with 215s. its really fun as a cruiser. he has Ricta clouds on it but I would love to ride it with Super Juices instead.

for some spots they dont work that welll.. for example if you have a curb with grass on the other side, the truck will just eat the entire thing, and you will lose all your speed. so youd need like double the effort of bricking + lacquering and probably digging out the other side a bit to make it work for more than 1 ft grinds. also the wheels kinda get in the way when you are trying to get out of the grind like that.you kinda gotta get out in 2 stages as a result.
ONTARIO CANADA

fulfillthedream

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 305
« Reply #6413 on: June 08, 2023, 10:55:36 AM »
i was on thunders for a decade and made the switch to AF1 44's and i love them. i skate mostly a skatepark and plaza's with good ledges so i dont skate many concrete ledges. they grind and turn well. the added height coming from thunders is also nice

i did have to add the ace hard bushings and just got the theories x ace 44's!
Skateboarding is like jacking-off, it's that good- Jeremy Klein

[

GardenSkater77

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1035
« Reply #6414 on: June 12, 2023, 11:42:29 AM »
Just put some stilts on my Ace trucks (1/4”/6.3 mm risers) and that shit faken goooooooooes!

I was doing the Dressen wiggle like nothing. Give it a go on a cruiser board. It’s great not having to worry about wheel bite with big softies on.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 35
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #6415 on: June 13, 2023, 12:31:33 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Then thunder

Venture last

For sure Films get the last place, those things are made of play doh, grind is awful.
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

logjammin

• Rep: 312
« Reply #6416 on: June 13, 2023, 07:30:40 AM »
Just put some stilts on my Ace trucks (1/4”/6.3 mm risers) and that shit faken goooooooooes!

I was doing the Dressen wiggle like nothing. Give it a go on a cruiser board. It’s great not having to worry about wheel bite with big softies on.

I always skate 1/8" risers but recently started wanting to get zero wheelbite so I stepped it up to 1/4" and it's actually been amazing with zero affect on stability and pop, which I totally thought was going to throw me off. It's still possible to get a little bit of wheelbite but barely. I'm staying on them for the foreseeable future since I'm also sticking with big wheels.

TheLowerBack

• GTU/FWD
« Reply #6417 on: June 13, 2023, 09:16:02 AM »
What’s up with those bones-esque fuel duro bushings that fuckwithyourtrucks posted a while back? Anyone know when they’re coming out or get a sample set?

Daydream

• Rep: 64
« Reply #6418 on: June 13, 2023, 09:18:25 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I always skate 1/8" risers but recently started wanting to get zero wheelbite so I stepped it up to 1/4" and it's actually been amazing with zero affect on stability and pop, which I totally thought was going to throw me off. It's still possible to get a little bit of wheelbite but barely. I'm staying on them for the foreseeable future since I'm also sticking with big wheels.
no change in wheel size or deck steepness? How did that change your pop adjustment  and overall feel

Jawn Gyatti

• Rep: 6
« Reply #6419 on: June 13, 2023, 09:31:37 AM »
Whats up with the ToA collab truck only having a ToA logo on the axle?