Author Topic: Ace trucks  (Read 747552 times)

logjammin

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 336
Re: Ace trucks
« Reply #6420 on: June 13, 2023, 02:29:21 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Just put some stilts on my Ace trucks (1/4”/6.3 mm risers) and that shit faken goooooooooes!

I was doing the Dressen wiggle like nothing. Give it a go on a cruiser board. It’s great not having to worry about wheel bite with big softies on.
[close]

I always skate 1/8" risers but recently started wanting to get zero wheelbite so I stepped it up to 1/4" and it's actually been amazing with zero affect on stability and pop, which I totally thought was going to throw me off. It's still possible to get a little bit of wheelbite but barely. I'm staying on them for the foreseeable future since I'm also sticking with big wheels.
[close]
no change in wheel size or deck steepness? How did that change your pop adjustment  and overall feel

Been running 1/8" risers for many years even with smaller 54mm wheels. I lost a lot of weight since but always riding loose trucks I needed them. I run 56-60mm wheels these days and it's manageable on 1/8" risers with not so bad wheelbite but I just got curious to try the 1/4". Mellow decks, 13.75-14.25 wheelbases. I can't explain it but I literally feel the same stability and I haven't had any issues with ghost pop, when I definitely thought one or both would happen.

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #6421 on: June 13, 2023, 10:36:44 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Just put some stilts on my Ace trucks (1/4”/6.3 mm risers) and that shit faken goooooooooes!

I was doing the Dressen wiggle like nothing. Give it a go on a cruiser board. It’s great not having to worry about wheel bite with big softies on.
[close]

I always skate 1/8" risers but recently started wanting to get zero wheelbite so I stepped it up to 1/4" and it's actually been amazing with zero affect on stability and pop, which I totally thought was going to throw me off. It's still possible to get a little bit of wheelbite but barely. I'm staying on them for the foreseeable future since I'm also sticking with big wheels.
[close]
no change in wheel size or deck steepness? How did that change your pop adjustment  and overall feel
[close]

Been running 1/8" risers for many years even with smaller 54mm wheels. I lost a lot of weight since but always riding loose trucks I needed them. I run 56-60mm wheels these days and it's manageable on 1/8" risers with not so bad wheelbite but I just got curious to try the 1/4". Mellow decks, 13.75-14.25 wheelbases. I can't explain it but I literally feel the same stability and I haven't had any issues with ghost pop, when I definitely thought one or both would happen.

For me risers with Aces actually help the pop. I use 1/8” risers in pretty much all my setups. Wheels I use from 54 to 60 mm and change them out when they’re at 50 mm so essentially 50-60 mm. Maybe I could try the 1/4” risers if I happen to have a deck with a long tail.

IpathCats

« Reply #6422 on: June 14, 2023, 04:58:13 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

For me risers with Aces actually help the pop. I use 1/8” risers in pretty much all my setups. Wheels I use from 54 to 60 mm and change them out when they’re at 50 mm so essentially 50-60 mm. Maybe I could try the 1/4” risers if I happen to have a deck with a long tail.

Same, I've pretty much always had to put risers on aces for them to feel good. 1/16th or 1/8th though.

The exception was this palace board I skated recently with these SUPER steep kicks. That worked better without risers

rikki

• Rep: 284
« Reply #6423 on: June 14, 2023, 05:53:12 AM »
Going back to Ace Classics all of a sudden after a while on Indys really f*cked up my ollie. I don't know if it's just the shorter wheelbase or something else on top of that, but my pop felt terrible for a while. Maybe risers could help with this.

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1094
« Reply #6424 on: June 14, 2023, 06:05:44 AM »
Going back to Ace Classics all of a sudden after a while on Indys really f*cked up my ollie. I don't know if it's just the shorter wheelbase or something else on top of that, but my pop felt terrible for a while. Maybe risers could help with this.

I just moved from Ace to some old Indys I had forgotten about, and in combination with a new deck, my ollie is markedly higher. Last weekend, I felt like I was ollieing like a 12 year who first learned how, and yesterday with the new deck and trucks, I had my pop, and had no problem tucking my back knee. I think it was probably a combination of factors, but pushing the wheelbase in so close wasn't helping.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

Ok

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1112
« Reply #6425 on: June 14, 2023, 06:46:58 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I just moved from Ace to some old Indys I had forgotten about, and in combination with a new deck, my ollie is markedly higher. Last weekend, I felt like I was ollieing like a 12 year who first learned how, and yesterday with the new deck and trucks, I had my pop, and had no problem tucking my back knee. I think it was probably a combination of factors, but pushing the wheelbase in so close wasn't helping.

there are too many factors, for me, to determine why i don’t get consistent pop, with ace. i’ve had great pop on some ace setups. almost all of the setups that worked well, had 14” wb, some had much taller wheels than i’d usually prefer. the best scenario was those things, plus a girl board (can’t think of the number but it’s the one that is an 8.25, but tapers down to almost 8 at the back truck), that was fairly flat, and had lots of ‘fingers of flat’: the pop was significant, and the setup flipped really well (44 classics and 56 conical fulls). looked dumb as shit.
ace classic 55s had easily the best pop for me. here’s where i ratchet up my dipshittery: i swear those had a different geo. something was ‘different’, they were not as loosey goosey as the 33s/44s, bushings always seemed stiffer, which i preferred by quite aways, and the key part in my tinfoil toque theory was that a skate key barely fit into the kingpin nut. both those things were excellent and i loved the pop. i just got bummed because my setup was too big.
i’m sorry to anyone that’s read this.

indy’s have great pop, for most folks, or another way, higher pop.

when ace riding i need to adjust my popping foot deeper into the pocket, away from the tips, to get them to pop decently…and i just don’t prefer it.
none of this is interesting, except that as an old, a time where i leave the notion of ‘pop’ behind, is approaching. And if it’s ONLY about turning, we’ll then hey, ace pretty pretty pretty good

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6426 on: June 14, 2023, 07:15:24 AM »
And if it’s ONLY about turning, we’ll indy’s have great pop, for most folks, or another way, higher pop.

Agreed. I would need to try the Ace on the same deck to do an A/B test, but it's hard to justify going back to Ace when some ancient crusty Indys gave me an extra ~10" of effortless pop which were missing with the AF-1s.

And if it’s ONLY about turning, we’ll then hey, ace pretty pretty pretty good

I've said this before, but I don't notice a huge difference between the way Ace and Indy Stage XIs skate. Both have a good deep carve, and I've never found myself limited at all by the Indy turn, not in the way that I felt restrained by Venture or Thunder.

Maybe I should try to Stage IV, next.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2023, 07:23:13 AM by manysnakes »

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 678
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #6427 on: June 14, 2023, 07:58:16 AM »
after skating ace for awhile and hearing your guys experience, i can actually see why people would want really steep kicks with aces for this reason. ben de gros mentioned it in the episode he set up rails on a curb board.

logjammin

« Reply #6428 on: June 14, 2023, 08:30:33 AM »
Expand Quote
And if it’s ONLY about turning, we’ll indy’s have great pop, for most folks, or another way, higher pop.
[close]

Agreed. I would need to try the Ace on the same deck to do an A/B test, but it's hard to justify going back to Ace when some ancient crusty Indys gave me an extra ~10" of effortless pop which were missing with the AF-1s.

Expand Quote
[close]

I've said this before, but I don't notice a huge difference between the way Ace and Indy Stage XIs skate. Both have a good deep carve, and I've never found myself limited at all by the Indy turn, not in the way that I felt restrained by Venture or Thunder.

I tested the theory recently by putting Ace bushings in some stage 11's and there is definitely a certain trigger and responsiveness missing from those compared to the Ace geometry. They might both be able to get the same depth of turn depending on the wheel size and if you're using risers but there's a slalom level of twitch I can get into on some Ace's, while the Indy's were just a more boring and mellow feel.

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
« Reply #6429 on: June 14, 2023, 08:36:24 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I tested the theory recently by putting Ace bushings in some stage 11's and there is definitely a certain trigger and responsiveness missing from those compared to the Ace geometry. They might both be able to get the same depth of turn depending on the wheel size and if you're using risers but there's a slalom level of twitch I can get into on some Ace's, while the Indy's were just a more boring and mellow feel.

did you shave the bushings down? I tried to do this and there was no way in hell the Ace bushings were fitting into the Indy. I tried it the other way around (indy bushing in an ace truck) and i do not recommend that either.

logjammin

« Reply #6430 on: June 14, 2023, 08:50:38 AM »
Ace standard bottoms fit fine but yeah you need low tops, which I have. Sorry, didn't specify that.

Daydream

• Rep: 80
« Reply #6431 on: June 14, 2023, 10:42:16 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Expand Quote
[close]

good assessments, was a good read on this page 👍

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1028
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #6432 on: June 14, 2023, 07:13:11 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
good assessments, was a good read on this page 👍

It's funny, but I skate Indy Stage 11 (149s mainly now, but also have 144s, 159s and 169s on boards) with some of them stock bushings, but most of them set up with the aftermarket low 92 duro bushings that allow for a lot of turn, but still have a little more stiffness than stock bushings, pretty much the multiple setups that perform the same in the truck department anyway.

After having a few sessions on the Ace trucks, also on the same boards as I usually ride (yes I set up more completes just for this experiment), also adjusted to pretty much just how I like them, enough turn but not too loose, on their stock bushings, and everything felt good in how the trucks responded, both the Ace Classic and AF1 versions at different times, which felt comfortable and easy to ride.

Then to go back to my normal other boards on Indy and I almost felt like I was skating Ventures on train tracks, in that I would lean a little (as I usually do) but the board just didn't turn as well on Indy as it did on the Ace trucks.  Took a whole session after the Ace truck boards to get back to "normal" on my Indy trucks, which was a big surprise.

I have other boards with Thunder, Venture and other trucks too, mainly for others to try at the indoor park, but also for the interest in seeing how the different trucks / parts work.

How a truck is set up really makes a difference too, because I could put slightly taller softer bottom bushings in Ventures and they turned a whole lot more than they usually do on stock or regular height bushings, but still not as much as the others.

The Ace truck definitely works really well for the turning aspect, regardless of which bushings you have in there, but at least there are Ace stock, aftermarket hard and low bushing options too, just to mix and match if needed.

I like that about the brand as well.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Daydream

« Reply #6433 on: June 14, 2023, 09:17:13 PM »
What did you say after all that?

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1028
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #6434 on: June 14, 2023, 10:00:23 PM »
What did you say after all that?

Ha yeah, sometimes I re read my posts and think I am a bit out there...

Here goes:

Ace trucks turn way more quickly than Indy.  * And everything else too.

It is possible however to change how much a truck does or does not turn by changing the height of the bushings, eg put a taller bottom bushing in any other truck and they will turn more quickly, as per the taller height of the Ace bottom bushing and the taller red bushings in the Indy Stage 4 reissue trucks.

That should be a bit better anyway.

:)

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

rikki

• Rep: 284
« Reply #6435 on: June 14, 2023, 10:55:36 PM »
Like someone here posted earlier, Indys turn really well.

I was on the Ace turn bandwagon for a while, and while they're admittedly great for that, after getting a pair of new Indys I realized they turn f*cking awesome with the stock orange bushings. In a nutshell: I get all the turn I need from Indys these days, with the added stability for pop etc. that Aces don't provide for me personally, opinions of course differ.

Don't get me wrong, I love Aces, but I think I'll only fully switch back to them once I'm like 75 yrs old and can't ollie for shit anymore.

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
« Reply #6436 on: June 15, 2023, 06:41:29 AM »
one of my friends says he feels like Ace bushings kind of absord the impact of higher up landings a bit and I think I have heard someone else say that here as well. It is in a bad way that kind of causes you to wheel bite. but thats why the turning feels so sick and cushion-like. I cant say I skate stuff like this too much, but I dropped in on a hubba recently and experienced it for myself :) But during normal skating, I never actually feel afraid of wheel biting on them and I ride pretty big conical full f4 54mm. It is pretty close to stock setting for tightness.

I kinda feel like Indys get "Squirrley" after awhile and the bushings dont even need to be particularly old. When they are new I feel like its actually quite stable. But when I am pushing up at high speeds it feels very wobbly compared to Ace, unless I tighten them up. Again I think this comes down to the bushings and height of them as well which is what I think mr. Brimson was saying. I would say Indys work better as a slightly tighter truck. They work better than Aces as a tighter truck 100%. Don't buy Aces if you want tight trucks imo...

I don't think Jaws would want Aces, but Penny could (and does) and he jumps down some pretty big stuff even still. I think Reynolds or Joslin could use them better than Indys!! I imagine some of those guys probably feel more stressed out about switching any of their gear than any of us ever could be when it comes to their careers.

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6437 on: June 15, 2023, 06:49:11 AM »
Like someone here posted earlier, Indys turn really well.

I was on the Ace turn bandwagon for a while, and while they're admittedly great for that, after getting a pair of new Indys I realized they turn f*cking awesome with the stock orange bushings. In a nutshell: I get all the turn I need from Indys these days, with the added stability for pop etc. that Aces don't provide for me personally, opinions of course differ.

Don't get me wrong, I love Aces, but I think I'll only fully switch back to them once I'm like 75 yrs old and can't ollie for shit anymore.

These are my feelings exactly. The Ace are a great truck and I'll probably be back skating them in the future (the pair I put away has plenty of life left in them), but there are certain things about skating which they make harder for me, so if Indys give me 90% of the turn and 50% more stability for flip tricks, I have to say I prefer Indy.

modern life is war

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -618
« Reply #6438 on: June 19, 2023, 08:18:31 AM »
Well I don't think I'll buy Ace classics again. I was wrong when I said they grind fine on steel coping... they're grippy as hell. I think I was just experiencing that brand new truck feel where they are slick and grind anything.

Love the turn but if I can get the Indy grind with the ace turn in the form of Indy stage 4s... Well that's just what i'm going to do next time. Hopefully they are still available in a few months.

I'll probably put these aces on my slappy board and see how quickly I can axle them.
You’re a Florida native, aren’t you?

Ok

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1112
« Reply #6439 on: June 19, 2023, 09:24:01 AM »
one of my friends says he feels like Ace bushings kind of absord the impact of higher up landings a bit and I think I have heard someone else say that here as well. It is in a bad way that kind of causes you to wheel bite. but thats why the turning feels so sick and cushion-like. I cant say I skate stuff like this too much, but I dropped in on a hubba recently and experienced it for myself :) But during normal skating, I never actually feel afraid of wheel biting on them and I ride pretty big conical full f4 54mm. It is pretty close to stock setting for tightness.

I kinda feel like Indys get "Squirrley" after awhile and the bushings dont even need to be particularly old. When they are new I feel like its actually quite stable. But when I am pushing up at high speeds it feels very wobbly compared to Ace, unless I tighten them up. Again I think this comes down to the bushings and height of them as well which is what I think mr. Brimson was saying. I would say Indys work better as a slightly tighter truck. They work better than Aces as a tighter truck 100%. Don't buy Aces if you want tight trucks imo...

I don't think Jaws would want Aces, but Penny could (and does) and he jumps down some pretty big stuff even still. I think Reynolds or Joslin could use them better than Indys!! I imagine some of those guys probably feel more stressed out about switching any of their gear than any of us ever could be when it comes to their careers.

this is a perfect example of how/why i use slap, cuz i can just fire of some real half-baked extremely kooky opinions, and then just get back to putting the groceries in the basket, or whatever.
here’s my half-baked fully fried:

joslin skated better on venture lo’s

i’m in the wrong thread, making a strong assertion about a skater i don’t really care for, off topic, just totally out there. you are all welcome

Zyth

• Rep: 8
« Reply #6440 on: June 19, 2023, 01:52:20 PM »
i keep blowing out ace pivot cups does anyone know what other brand fits the best? not sure if i should try some thunder or indy cups

Wizard0f0dds

• Rep: 72
« Reply #6441 on: June 19, 2023, 05:07:22 PM »
i keep blowing out ace pivot cups does anyone know what other brand fits the best? not sure if i should try some thunder or indy cups

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe only Riptide fit for AF-1s. (other than the Ace af-1 pivots themselves)

https://www.riptidesports.com/pivot-cups/ace-af-1-pivot-cups/

logjammin

« Reply #6442 on: June 19, 2023, 08:45:15 PM »
Nope, RIPtides do it too. I'm not sure if Indy sells them as an aftermarket option but their stock pivot cups ever since they moved to China are like indestructibly hard plastic and they fit AF1's perfectly fine. They will not fit classics though.

Daydream

« Reply #6443 on: June 19, 2023, 08:49:07 PM »
Had riptides in 55 classics. Was awesome. Didn’t exactly mash them into curbs either tho

Zyth

• Rep: 8
« Reply #6444 on: June 20, 2023, 03:05:30 AM »
ace really have the best customer support and warranty, sent me out new af1 hollow 66s next day because of the pivot cup issue

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6445 on: June 20, 2023, 08:32:59 AM »
ace really have the best customer support and warranty, sent me out new af1 hollow 66s next day because of the pivot cup issue

Yeah, they were great to me. I emailed about some crusty Classics where the hangers were bent and they let me pick out a new set of AF-1s, which arrived in a few days with a baggy full of stickers. The communication was clear and easy in a way that it so rarely is with anything else. Made me a big fan of the company, insofar as how it's run and managed.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 37
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
« Reply #6446 on: June 20, 2023, 08:43:40 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Yeah, they were great to me. I emailed about some crusty Classics where the hangers were bent and they let me pick out a new set of AF-1s, which arrived in a few days with a baggy full of stickers. The communication was clear and easy in a way that it so rarely is with anything else. Made me a big fan of the company, insofar as how it's run and managed.
That's super cool, I wanted to get some 55 classics but I was afraid of axle issues. Now I can get them without further worries.
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 692
« Reply #6447 on: June 20, 2023, 11:42:17 AM »
On my second session on the 55s. The turn still is not great, how long do these take to break in?

Also, I tried to grind my go to metal ledge. Coming from Indies, this just plain sucked. They don't even grind half as long with the same speed. Is there something you can do about this? Talking about brand new trucks here.

I was so disappointed but thought I'd give them a shot on a concrete ledge and surprisingly, the grind was ok. Should I even bother giving them a shot on a European granite curb for slappies... what do you reckon?

why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

IpathCats

« Reply #6448 on: June 20, 2023, 12:18:14 PM »
On my second session on the 55s. The turn still is not great, how long do these take to break in?

Also, I tried to grind my go to metal ledge. Coming from Indies, this just plain sucked. They don't even grind half as long with the same speed. Is there something you can do about this? Talking about brand new trucks here.

I was so disappointed but thought I'd give them a shot on a concrete ledge and surprisingly, the grind was ok. Should I even bother giving them a shot on a European granite curb for slappies... what do you reckon?

Not sure why the turn would suck, I've never ridden an ace where that was the case.

If they are classics, they will grind slower and not as far as you are used to on your indys. softer hanger alloy.

Gunot

• Rep: 10
« Reply #6449 on: June 20, 2023, 01:10:17 PM »

Man, I guess that‘s part of the Ace experience. Love Aces but their pivot cups are a joke.