Author Topic: Ace trucks  (Read 748151 times)

Roisto

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
Re: Ace trucks
« Reply #6450 on: June 20, 2023, 09:16:52 PM »
On my second session on the 55s. The turn still is not great, how long do these take to break in?

Also, I tried to grind my go to metal ledge. Coming from Indies, this just plain sucked. They don't even grind half as long with the same speed. Is there something you can do about this? Talking about brand new trucks here.

I was so disappointed but thought I'd give them a shot on a concrete ledge and surprisingly, the grind was ok. Should I even bother giving them a shot on a European granite curb for slappies... what do you reckon?

If they’re Classics, change the washers. The stock ones are thick and too small. This has been an issue for me on almost all my Classics. Surprisingly though one set was ok with the stock washers.

Zyth

• Rep: 8
« Reply #6451 on: June 21, 2023, 01:25:40 AM »
Expand Quote
i keep blowing out ace pivot cups does anyone know what other brand fits the best? not sure if i should try some thunder or indy cups

[close]

Man, I guess that‘s part of the Ace experience. Love Aces but their pivot cups are a joke.

I'm going to try indy cups if they blow out again on the new pair i got sent, the standard af1s never had this problem for me but they must have changed something with the hollows i think and they don't seem to come greased anymore like the standards did

chris.

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 184
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #6452 on: June 21, 2023, 02:38:03 AM »
Expand Quote
i keep blowing out ace pivot cups does anyone know what other brand fits the best? not sure if i should try some thunder or indy cups

[close]

Man, I guess that‘s part of the Ace experience. Love Aces but their pivot cups are a joke.

Anytime this has happened to me, the majority of the pivot cup is in tact and it’s just the upper edge that kind of frays. Changing them out isn’t really necessary.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1112
« Reply #6453 on: June 21, 2023, 05:37:08 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Anytime this has happened to me, the majority of the pivot cup is in tact and it’s just the upper edge that kind of frays. Changing them out isn’t really necessary.

i agree with this, and taking it further, bushings as well. several brands (thunder especially) seem to have disintegrating bushings, and then….it just doesn’t really make a difference for me either way.

back to pivots, i replaced (ripped out and ruined) the somewhat silly stick ace pivot cups in my set of af1s, and replaced them with some nos, really hard, bright orange plastic cups: they don’t fit well, and the pivot just slops around in there, i honestly cannot tell which is more annoying.

took a really old board, that i’ve kept
for nostalgic reasons, and put some old ace 33s with 56 radial fulls on it. i was pleasantly reminded at how much wheel the classics can handle, without a riser, and still being able to turn. my regular setup is lo ventures with 52s, not a lot of turning. the truck height is around 48 mm to the wheels 52mm, where as this cruising setup with the ace had 52mm truck height, to 56mm wheel height (same diff), dramatically more turn. and the pop on the aces seems to work way. entree for me, with a bigger wheel. it’s still not my shit, but it felt pretty rad to skate down crap roads without coming to an unexpected stop.
sadly, metallica didn’t start playing, and the equipment did not imbue any switch wallie skills, or the like.

modern life is war

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -618
« Reply #6454 on: June 21, 2023, 07:31:22 AM »
I tried a friend's board that had AF1s instead of classics on it and WOW the difference in grind is insane, AF1s feel hard and icy like indys, classics feel so soft in comparison. Bummed I didn't just buy AF1s now.
You’re a Florida native, aren’t you?

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 692
« Reply #6455 on: June 21, 2023, 11:35:23 AM »
I tried a friend's board that had AF1s instead of classics on it and WOW the difference in grind is insane, AF1s feel hard and icy like indys, classics feel so soft in comparison. Bummed I didn't just buy AF1s now.

Same
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

Ok

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1112
« Reply #6456 on: June 21, 2023, 04:23:28 PM »
as a plus, for the classics, if you are skating some brutal, old crust, the classics seemed to do ok for me. but, and unfortunately i need to make this clear: i cannot really do grinds, as everyone knows, front 50/50s don’t count (in the streets, and i’m terrified of transition).

TheCrimsonShroud

• Rep: 98
« Reply #6457 on: June 21, 2023, 08:47:40 PM »
Set up a rain/slappy deck today with a set of 55 classics. I only cruised around a little (it’s dark and drizzling) but WOW. I left the trucks exactly how they came. I feel almost as sturdy on center as with my ventures, but when I want to turn goddamn can I turn. Nice and carvy like Indy, but if I really put my weight behind a back bolt I get this super tight turn. These are amazing.

logjammin

• Rep: 336
« Reply #6458 on: June 21, 2023, 09:24:09 PM »
Set up a rain/slappy deck today with a set of 55 classics. I only cruised around a little (it’s dark and drizzling) but WOW. I left the trucks exactly how they came. I feel almost as sturdy on center as with my ventures, but when I want to turn goddamn can I turn. Nice and carvy like Indy, but if I really put my weight behind a back bolt I get this super tight turn. These are amazing.

Love to read it. Take off the top washers to get them even more rad 8)

Zyth

« Reply #6459 on: June 22, 2023, 11:54:05 AM »
first day skating the replacement trucks they sent me and already blown out the front pivot cup, this deck isn't symmetrical like my other setup so it doesn't trigger me as much, still my favourite trucks and really great people behind the company just that issue is annoying.

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 618
« Reply #6460 on: June 22, 2023, 01:17:36 PM »
first day skating the replacement trucks they sent me and already blown out the front pivot cup, this deck isn't symmetrical like my other setup so it doesn't trigger me as much, still my favourite trucks and really great people behind the company just that issue is annoying.

Did you change anything from stock? No bottom washer, different bushings or something like that?

boneless900

• Rep: 58
« Reply #6461 on: June 22, 2023, 03:23:33 PM »

My af-1 pivot cups blew out as well, but not that quickly (took about a month of sloppy slappies) but still needed to be replaced from the looks of it. The only ones I had lying around were Krux pivot cups.

First observations: the Krux cup fits all the way to the bottom and went into place easily, but feels way harder than the af-1 pivot cups and is a bit taller than the af-1 cupholder. Not sure how/if that will affect the trucks. The hanger fits snug without wiggle room but I'm definitely wondering if the excess height and hardness will be some sort of hindrance. Regardless, I'm gonna give the Krux cups in the af-1 66s a go and I'll report back

Zyth

« Reply #6462 on: June 22, 2023, 03:31:37 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Did you change anything from stock? No bottom washer, different bushings or something like that?
nope completely stock, i didn't even tighten the trucks and I'm 70kg it has been hot weather in the uk so idk if that effects the urethane making the pivot cups blow out really fast, i skated the standard af1 during the winter and didn't have any problem
« Last Edit: June 22, 2023, 03:39:28 PM by Zyth »

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 37
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #6463 on: June 23, 2023, 12:20:54 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
nope completely stock, i didn't even tighten the trucks and I'm 70kg it has been hot weather in the uk so idk if that effects the urethane making the pivot cups blow out really fast, i skated the standard af1 during the winter and didn't have any problem
Fore sure weather is a factor. I always have a hard time readjusting my skating from Winter to Summer time. It sucks.
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

fulfillthedream

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 316
« Reply #6464 on: June 23, 2023, 10:45:55 AM »
Interesting idea ACE is doing where you can pick the hanger , baseplate and bushings;

https://mesaskatesupply.com/collections/jts-chop-shop
Skateboarding is like jacking-off, it's that good- Jeremy Klein

[

Aquatic Dinosaur

• Rep: 96
« Reply #6465 on: June 23, 2023, 11:04:30 AM »
Nice so I could turn my 44 af1 lows to either regular af1s or move the hanger down to a 33

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1093
« Reply #6466 on: June 23, 2023, 11:05:17 AM »
Interesting idea ACE is doing where you can pick the hanger , baseplate and bushings;

https://mesaskatesupply.com/collections/jts-chop-shop

They teased this last year, and yeah I think it's a great fucking idea. I can't believe that more truck companies don't offer at least the various anodized colors like Ace does. I'm skating Indy now and I would love it if I could buy some 144s in cool anodized colors. They did a weird green one for Hawk, but Ace is smart to not limit this to one-offs and make these production items.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

bombsaway86

• Rep: 160
« Reply #6467 on: June 23, 2023, 11:12:56 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

My af-1 pivot cups blew out as well, but not that quickly (took about a month of sloppy slappies) but still needed to be replaced from the looks of it. The only ones I had lying around were Krux pivot cups.

First observations: the Krux cup fits all the way to the bottom and went into place easily, but feels way harder than the af-1 pivot cups and is a bit taller than the af-1 cupholder. Not sure how/if that will affect the trucks. The hanger fits snug without wiggle room but I'm definitely wondering if the excess height and hardness will be some sort of hindrance. Regardless, I'm gonna give the Krux cups in the af-1 66s a go and I'll report back

I once used the Krux pivot cups on an old set of Aces. I used a razor blade to cut the cup flush with the baseplate and didn’t have any issues.

TheCrimsonShroud

• Rep: 98
« Reply #6468 on: June 23, 2023, 04:44:58 PM »
Maybe a dumb question, but if I try ace low bushings will it change the height/geo of the trucks?

IpathCats

« Reply #6469 on: June 23, 2023, 04:49:32 PM »
Maybe a dumb question, but if I try ace low bushings will it change the height/geo of the trucks?

If the bottom bushing is a different height than stock, it will change the height/geo

Zyth

« Reply #6470 on: June 23, 2023, 05:20:31 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

I once used the Krux pivot cups on an old set of Aces. I used a razor blade to cut the cup flush with the baseplate and didn’t have any issues.
do you know if indy pivot cups fit flush?

bombsaway86

• Rep: 160
« Reply #6471 on: June 23, 2023, 09:40:23 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]
do you know if indy pivot cups fit flush?

I believe Indy pivot cups fit AF1s but not classics

logjammin

• Rep: 336
« Reply #6472 on: June 24, 2023, 05:36:03 AM »
Nope, RIPtides do it too. I'm not sure if Indy sells them as an aftermarket option but their stock pivot cups ever since they moved to China are like indestructibly hard plastic and they fit AF1's perfectly fine. They will not fit classics though.

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 266
« Reply #6473 on: June 24, 2023, 05:53:09 AM »
Looks like Tershay is well aware of the problems of naming the 10-inch truck ‘88s’, and is going against their regular naming conventions and calling them ‘80s’.
I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

IpathCats

« Reply #6474 on: June 24, 2023, 06:08:06 AM »
Custom truck program is rad.

Huge points for ace here, from all the gear nuts like myself anyways.

Would be sick to see other companies follow.

Daydream

• Rep: 80
« Reply #6475 on: June 24, 2023, 06:55:50 AM »
I agree, really cool option. Even the bushing hardness option is a huge win

IpathCats

« Reply #6476 on: June 24, 2023, 07:20:18 AM »

I feel like the hard bushings are mandatory for full grown adults.

I know that's just my personal taste but they really made my AF1s so much better for me

fulfillthedream

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 316
« Reply #6477 on: June 24, 2023, 11:33:16 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I feel like the hard bushings are mandatory for full grown adults.

I know that's just my personal taste but they really made my AF1s so much better for me

I was gonna get the bones mediums at ValSurf but the guy working told me to use the stock Ace's and if i dont like them get the Ace Hards which I did and they're amazing
Skateboarding is like jacking-off, it's that good- Jeremy Klein

[

LebowskisRug

« Reply #6478 on: June 24, 2023, 12:44:36 PM »
Maybe I'm not seeing it but their site doesn't have the custom truck option and for whatever reason their web store throws insecure connection warnings.

Scottboarding

• Rep: 82
« Reply #6479 on: June 24, 2023, 01:37:22 PM »
Maybe I'm not seeing it but their site doesn't have the custom truck option and for whatever reason their web store throws insecure connection warnings.
Their store is through Mesa Skate Supply now. Not sure if the store link on the Ace Trucks site is still active/usable. Here’s the build your own: https://mesaskatesupply.com/collections/jts-chop-shop