Author Topic: Ace trucks  (Read 747321 times)

Zyth

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 8
Re: Ace trucks
« Reply #6480 on: June 24, 2023, 04:25:10 PM »
Expand Quote
Nope, RIPtides do it too. I'm not sure if Indy sells them as an aftermarket option but their stock pivot cups ever since they moved to China are like indestructibly hard plastic and they fit AF1's perfectly fine. They will not fit classics though.
[close]
did you notice it change how they turned compared to the soft ace cups?

hiljentaa

• Rep: 308
« Reply #6481 on: June 24, 2023, 04:38:07 PM »
Expand Quote
Maybe I'm not seeing it but their site doesn't have the custom truck option and for whatever reason their web store throws insecure connection warnings.
[close]
Their store is through Mesa Skate Supply now. Not sure if the store link on the Ace Trucks site is still active/usable. Here’s the build your own: https://mesaskatesupply.com/collections/jts-chop-shop

https://shop.ccs.com/collections/jts-chop-shop?_pos=1&_psq=Jt&_ss=e&_v=1.0

CCS also has some of this stuff available.

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1028
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #6482 on: June 24, 2023, 06:35:39 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Maybe I'm not seeing it but their site doesn't have the custom truck option and for whatever reason their web store throws insecure connection warnings.
[close]
Their store is through Mesa Skate Supply now. Not sure if the store link on the Ace Trucks site is still active/usable. Here’s the build your own: https://mesaskatesupply.com/collections/jts-chop-shop
[close]

What I immediately see with that is you can buy just a hanger or just a baseplate if needed.

That is probably the main thing with the parts that really could make things way more interesting, as I have often pulled apart brand new trucks for people over the years, more often if someone breaks something, it is out of warranty, but they want to keep riding that setup, without getting a whole new set of trucks, so they just get a single hanger, or baseplate and can keep going with the rest of whatever they have.

I have only done it with Standard trucks, no colourways or special editions, but over the years I have ended up with a whole lot of singles of various things and they have come in handy for helping people with this and that.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

TheCrimsonShroud

• Rep: 98
« Reply #6483 on: June 25, 2023, 01:53:59 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]

What I immediately see with that is you can buy just a hanger or just a baseplate if needed.

That is probably the main thing with the parts that really could make things way more interesting, as I have often pulled apart brand new trucks for people over the years, more often if someone breaks something, it is out of warranty, but they want to keep riding that setup, without getting a whole new set of trucks, so they just get a single hanger, or baseplate and can keep going with the rest of whatever they have.

I have only done it with Standard trucks, no colourways or special editions, but over the years I have ended up with a whole lot of singles of various things and they have come in handy for helping people with this and that.

As someone who likes to fuck around and find out/mix and match, this is like a fever dream for me. That I found out about it after getting my first pair of aces and seriously considering switching over all my setups as my Indy/Ventures wear out is an odd coincidence.

Esmith5488

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 400
« Reply #6484 on: June 25, 2023, 06:29:22 AM »
Just to make sure, I can order the af1 low baseplate and use my regular af1 hanger?.
Running lows on my regular board and I want to try on my egg

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 618
« Reply #6485 on: June 25, 2023, 07:18:08 AM »
Just to make sure, I can order the af1 low baseplate and use my regular af1 hanger?.
yes

Esmith5488

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 400
« Reply #6486 on: June 25, 2023, 07:26:16 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
yes
Oh boy… thanks. Ordering now since I’m pretty sure I got a mesa code in my email

Aquatic Dinosaur

• Rep: 96
« Reply #6487 on: June 25, 2023, 08:20:39 AM »
No hollow af1 hangers? Anybody know if they’ll start selling those individually? 

BL0B

• Rep: 414
« Reply #6488 on: June 25, 2023, 02:28:38 PM »
No hollow af1 hangers? Anybody know if they’ll start selling those individually? 

idk, hollows have only come in silver and the Theories colorway so far. hope that changes, i would love some purple hollow baseplates.

also would like to see just hard top bushings for sale.

Zyth

« Reply #6489 on: June 27, 2023, 06:38:17 AM »
indy pivot cups are slightly too small for aces

boneless900

• Rep: 57
« Reply #6490 on: June 27, 2023, 06:53:47 AM »

The white Krux pivot cups replacements I put in my af1s have been holding up well after ~3 slappy sessions. there's no wiggle room or deformation that I'm seeing so the hanger still fits snug.

The Krux plastic is much harder than the ace cups so maybe that might hold up better for you if you need another option. I've seen people recommend riptide cups here quite a bit but I've never tried em so I can speak on that.

Zyth

« Reply #6491 on: June 27, 2023, 06:58:36 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

The white Krux pivot cups replacements I put in my af1s have been holding up well after ~3 slappy sessions. there's no wiggle room or deformation that I'm seeing so the hanger still fits snug.

The Krux plastic is much harder than the ace cups so maybe that might hold up better for you if you need another option. I've seen people recommend riptide cups here quite a bit but I've never tried em so I can speak on that.
i wanna try riptide but hard to get them in the uk without expensive shipping, the indy cups skate alright tho

Zyth

« Reply #6492 on: June 28, 2023, 04:15:34 AM »
does anyone who uses the ace hard bushings know if they firm up over time or feel looser? the stock bushings feel like they get harder after a couple of sessions

scab

• Rep: 200
« Reply #6493 on: June 28, 2023, 05:22:52 AM »
does anyone who uses the ace hard bushings know if they firm up over time or feel looser? the stock bushings feel like they get harder after a couple of sessions

I'd say mine got maybe slightly harder, but not by a meaningful degree.

rikki

• Rep: 284
« Reply #6494 on: June 28, 2023, 08:30:36 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I'd say mine got maybe slightly harder, but not by a meaningful degree.

Yup, they keep feeling great, no need to crank down the kingpin nut too much even after months of skating. Although I've gone back to Indys for the time being, I still think the Ace hards are among the best bushings ever.

Samsquantch

• Rep: 60
« Reply #6495 on: June 28, 2023, 08:55:25 AM »

Very little change. Maybe just a bit looser on centre, and a bit firmer before wheelbite, but that's pretty normal for a bushing compressing down a bit. They're really good bushings, not very sensitive to temperature either, they don't feel that much different from 40⁰ to 90⁰.

Agree with you on the stock bushings, I have them on a cruiser setup and they went from almost unskatetable wet noodles to barely skateable, twitchy but fun.

pops

• Rep: 241
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #6496 on: June 28, 2023, 09:14:34 AM »

I use them on my cruiser and no significant difference after two months of use but I would ssay they feel even better now. They actually feel just perfect now.

Zyth

« Reply #6497 on: June 28, 2023, 04:15:18 PM »
think if they made some bushings with a 89a bottom/ 94a top that would be perfect for me, having 2 94a bushings feel too tight i was hoping they would get looser like bones hards eventually feel like new mediums

iw0

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 504
« Reply #6498 on: June 28, 2023, 04:48:55 PM »
think if they made some bushings with a 89a bottom/ 94a top that would be perfect for me, having 2 94a bushings feel too tight i was hoping they would get looser like bones hards eventually feel like new mediums

could just replace the top bushings with hard tops and have 86a/94a

Zyth

« Reply #6499 on: June 28, 2023, 05:30:59 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

could just replace the top bushings with hard tops and have 86a/94a
yeah think i will try that tbh, the 91a tops get destroyed fast too

Zyth

« Reply #6500 on: June 29, 2023, 04:01:48 AM »
just got the new ace x theories af1 hollow 55s, really nice looking trucks

Zyth

« Reply #6501 on: June 29, 2023, 10:28:41 AM »
pivot cups didn't even last a day absolute dogshit lol

Samsquantch

« Reply #6502 on: June 29, 2023, 10:37:05 AM »

Brutal!

Too bad there aren't any other truck companies that have been around for decades with pivot cups that don't explode that Ace could design their's after...

Why re-invent the wheel with these soft pivot cups? It's a solution looking for a problem.

pops

• Rep: 241
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #6503 on: June 29, 2023, 10:42:02 AM »

How common is this issue because I have never had mine explode like that?

Samsquantch

« Reply #6504 on: June 29, 2023, 10:49:49 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

There's definitely been a few people on here, a guy at my local had it happen, and I've seen a couple YouTubers have it happen as well. No issues with my two pairs but I'm old and don't do anything bigger than a 3 stair.

Zyth

« Reply #6505 on: June 29, 2023, 10:52:45 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

i think it depends how you skate, i bash into curbs and wall rides a lot

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1094
« Reply #6506 on: June 29, 2023, 10:53:25 AM »
I haven't had any problem with mine through countless thousands of slappies, but yeah it's definitely a known problem. In fact, last time I skated with a friend of mine, the pivot cups on his Classics were blown out.

Personally I don't see what polyurethane offers that a hard, injection-molded plastic cup does not. Why do I want my pivot to be softer?
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

Samsquantch

« Reply #6507 on: June 29, 2023, 10:58:42 AM »
Personally I don't see what polyurethane offers than a hard, injection-molded plastic does not. Why do I want my pivot to be softer?

This exactly!

Ive actually switched from Ace back to Indy because Indy's felt more responsive and solid.

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1094
« Reply #6508 on: June 29, 2023, 11:02:08 AM »
Expand Quote
Personally I don't see what polyurethane offers than a hard, injection-molded plastic does not. Why do I want my pivot to be softer?
[close]

This exactly!

Ive actually switched from Ace back to Indy because Indy's felt more responsive and solid.

I am also back on Indys. I've still got my Aces and I'm sure I'll get a wild hair and skate them again one day, but the Indys have ~90% of the carve of the Ace while feeling to me significantly more stable, and in addition to that, they grind better.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

Samsquantch

« Reply #6509 on: June 29, 2023, 11:30:47 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

This exactly!

[close]

I am also back on Indys. I've still got my Aces and I'm sure I'll get a wild hair and skate them again one day, but the Indys have ~90% of the carve of the Ace while feeling to me significantly more stable, and in addition to that, they grind better.

I'm with ya, still like them, but I have one other gripe: the hardware is fucking terrible, weak nylock on the nuts that barely holds once you've swapped wheels or bushings a few times. Just put regular cheap ass non rethreading nuts on them please! Ace washers are way better though, and the don't shred the bushings like Indy's. My local shop has been sold out of regular axle nuts for ages because people with Ace's bought em all.