Author Topic: Ace trucks  (Read 747601 times)

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1094
Re: Ace trucks
« Reply #6510 on: June 29, 2023, 11:35:51 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Personally I don't see what polyurethane offers than a hard, injection-molded plastic does not. Why do I want my pivot to be softer?
[close]

This exactly!

Ive actually switched from Ace back to Indy because Indy's felt more responsive and solid.
[close]

I am also back on Indys. I've still got my Aces and I'm sure I'll get a wild hair and skate them again one day, but the Indys have ~90% of the carve of the Ace while feeling to me significantly more stable, and in addition to that, they grind better.
[close]

I'm with ya, still like them, but I have one other gripe: the hardware is fucking terrible, weak nylock on the nuts that barely holds once you've swapped wheels or bushings a few times. Just put regular cheap ass non rethreading nuts on them please! Ace washers are way better though, and the don't shred the bushings like Indy's. My local shop has been sold out of regular axle nuts for ages because people with Ace's bought em all.

I was able to hand-thread the stupid self-threading nut onto the axle when it was brand new, so after a few weeks I just picked up a little baggy of maybe a dozen or so 5/16" Nylocs from the hardware store and swapped everything out.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

Samsquantch

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 60
« Reply #6511 on: June 29, 2023, 12:07:27 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Personally I don't see what polyurethane offers than a hard, injection-molded plastic does not. Why do I want my pivot to be softer?
[close]

This exactly!

Ive actually switched from Ace back to Indy because Indy's felt more responsive and solid.
[close]

I am also back on Indys. I've still got my Aces and I'm sure I'll get a wild hair and skate them again one day, but the Indys have ~90% of the carve of the Ace while feeling to me significantly more stable, and in addition to that, they grind better.
[close]

I'm with ya, still like them, but I have one other gripe: the hardware is fucking terrible, weak nylock on the nuts that barely holds once you've swapped wheels or bushings a few times. Just put regular cheap ass non rethreading nuts on them please! Ace washers are way better though, and the don't shred the bushings like Indy's. My local shop has been sold out of regular axle nuts for ages because people with Ace's bought em all.
[close]

I was able to hand-thread the stupid self-threading nut onto the axle when it was brand new, so after a few weeks I just picked up a little baggy of maybe a dozen or so 5/16" Nylocs from the hardware store and swapped everything out.

I keep checking for 5/16" Nylocs any time I'm at a hardware store, but they only ever have the full height ones.

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6512 on: June 29, 2023, 01:00:12 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

This exactly!

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

I keep checking for 5/16" Nylocs any time I'm at a hardware store, but they only ever have the full height ones.

I live walking distance from a Tacoma Screw, so I never struggle to find the strange fasteners I need for whatever stupid thing I'm doing.

Zyth

• Rep: 8
« Reply #6513 on: June 29, 2023, 01:17:08 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

This exactly!

[close]

[close]

i don't understand why they didn't just use normal nuts since they include a axle rethreader anyway

bombsaway86

• Rep: 160
« Reply #6514 on: June 29, 2023, 10:42:59 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

This exactly!

[close]

[close]

My current set has the issue where the axle is longer on one side than the other. I could tighten the axle nuts all the way on the shorter side and still loosen them by hand. Swapped them out for regular ones and no more problems. Still annoying though, especially when they’re so hard to find. I still prefer Ace over Indy, but the Ace QC issues and Indy grind keep me going back and forth between the two

rikki

• Rep: 284
« Reply #6515 on: June 30, 2023, 12:56:35 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

This exactly!

[close]

Same here. I skate better on Indys.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #6516 on: June 30, 2023, 06:53:36 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

This exactly!

[close]

While Aces can turn more I thought they were more stable on center?

Samsquantch

« Reply #6517 on: June 30, 2023, 07:36:28 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

This exactly!

[close]

[close]

That was my experience.

It might be different with the stock dual duro bushings, but I'm pretty big and found stock way too squirrely. With Hard bushings they are really stable on centre, almost too much for my preference. They still turn like crazy but you have to kind of *make* them turn by being a bit more intentional with your ankles. Most noticeable in transition. I've found my perfect setup (for now haha) with stock Indy forged hollow with Ace top washers. They're more responsive from centre without being squirrely. They turn more easily, and more predictably, but are still stable enough.

Ace's have a sharper *ultimate* turn, but I find that with Indy's I can use more of the turn with less input/effort.

Still not really a fair comparison though, I should probably give stock Ace bushings another shot so that I'm comparing apples to apples instead of 94a to 90a.

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6518 on: June 30, 2023, 07:49:51 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

This exactly!

[close]

[close]

I don't know how to measure this objectively, but my Indy 144s feel to me more stable.

Zyth

« Reply #6519 on: June 30, 2023, 08:15:03 AM »
thunder pivot cups fit af1s really well and don't blow out, also using polished hangers on the theories baseplates look really good

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 781
« Reply #6520 on: June 30, 2023, 08:15:40 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

This exactly!

[close]

[close]

Agreed. Ace just feel more predictable and comfortable all through the tun. Something about Indy feels a little off to me since I started riding Ace... might be due to the height...

rikki

« Reply #6521 on: June 30, 2023, 08:25:22 AM »

Agreed. Ace just feel more predictable and comfortable all through the tun. Something about Indy feels a little off to me since I started riding Ace... might be due to the height...
[/quote]

I've enjoyed the Indy Forged Hollows and Forged Titaniums which are both 53,5mm in height, making them pretty similar height-wise as compared to Aces.

Samsquantch

« Reply #6522 on: June 30, 2023, 08:42:58 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I've enjoyed the Indy Forged Hollows and Forged Titaniums which are both 53,5mm in height, making them pretty similar height-wise as compared to Aces.
[/quote]

That's a good point! I have two setups with Indy's, but they're forged hollow 159's and 169's. My daughter's setup has Standard 139's and I find it super squirrely, but I assumed it was because they were so much narrower. Bit of both maybe?

rikki

« Reply #6523 on: June 30, 2023, 08:53:23 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

That's a good point! I have two setups with Indy's, but they're forged hollow 159's and 169's. My daughter's setup has Standard 139's and I find it super squirrely, but I assumed it was because they were so much narrower. Bit of both maybe?
[/quote]

Probably yeah, plus if you're magic carpeting a bit, that might also add to the squirrely feel. Dunno, it's of course also a matter of getting used to different things.

As for Ace Classics compared to Indys, I can't handle the super short wheelbase anymore it seems. Screws up my pop and high-speed transition feels awkward. On a 14.2 / 14.38 "normal" wb deck that is.

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6524 on: June 30, 2023, 09:04:06 AM »
As for Ace Classics compared to Indys, I can't handle the super short wheelbase anymore it seems. Screws up my pop and high-speed transition feels awkward. On a 14.2 / 14.38 "normal" wb deck that is.

I'm not a Princess and the Pea skater - I don't notice a lot of the sorts of things that people here are always describing - but I think that the short wheelbase of the Aces combined with a few ~14" wheelbase decks left me feeling incredibly scrunched up on the deck, and when I swapped Indys onto the same board suddenly I had my pop back. That's one of the reasons why I say "I'll eventually go back to Ace", because they're sitting here in a box next to me, and at some point in the future I will have a deck with a longer wheelbase where I feel like they work better.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #6525 on: June 30, 2023, 09:07:13 AM »
I will say the deck I enjoyed Ace on the most was a Polar 8.5. It was heavy as all fuck, but had massively good pop and stability. Just kinda sucked for tired legs. Not far off a shorter, smaller deck with Ventures

Samsquantch

« Reply #6526 on: June 30, 2023, 09:16:39 AM »
That's the other thing, my Ollie's are easier, higher and more consistent on Indy's. I'm also a hack so YMMV.

Zyth

« Reply #6527 on: June 30, 2023, 09:18:23 AM »
i wouldn't skate aces on anything below 14.25wb

boneless900

• Rep: 57
« Reply #6528 on: June 30, 2023, 12:07:38 PM »
thunder pivot cups fit af1s really well and don't blow out, also using polished hangers on the theories baseplates look really good

Hell yeah, glad you found a pivot cup solution that works for you. I'm on session 4 of the white krux cup and it's holding up really well. No deformation or warp.

That hanger/baseplate color combo is classy. If my AF-1 66s are too big for the 8.5 G096 deck, I'll probably do the inverse colorway of a black 55 hanger with my current polished baseplate.

Zyth

« Reply #6529 on: June 30, 2023, 12:25:22 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Hell yeah, glad you found a pivot cup solution that works for you. I'm on session 4 of the white krux cup and it's holding up really well. No deformation or warp.

That hanger/baseplate color combo is classy. If my AF-1 66s are too big for the 8.5 G096 deck, I'll probably do the inverse colorway of a black 55 hanger with my current polished baseplate.
i tried some white krux pivot cups also and they was too big to even fit inside the baseplate so krux must have different sizes

FatGuy92

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 577
« Reply #6530 on: June 30, 2023, 03:41:53 PM »
My friend went up board sizes and gifted a set of af1 44 hollows. I loved the 44 classics but they were just way too heavy especially once my legs started getting tired during a long sesh. Looking forward to seeing if these are light enough for me.

Esmith5488

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 400
« Reply #6531 on: July 01, 2023, 06:09:32 AM »
Skating lows on a 14” wheelbase and it’s been great

Ok

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1112
« Reply #6532 on: July 01, 2023, 07:25:00 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Skating lows on a 14” wheelbase and it’s been great

i don’t have great pop with aces, but the best pop i had with them, was on a 14” wb. my experience with the number crunching setups (this truck has this effective wb, this board has this wb, my goldilocks ratios is…) hasn’t yielded expected results.

i’m not surprised the lows work on 14

i still haven’t tried em yet.
a buddy was telling me he’s been skating lows with 54s and it works well for him, he’s super good tho so it doesn’t count.

Zyth

« Reply #6533 on: July 04, 2023, 02:13:58 PM »
how do aces feel with 1/8 risers, thinking about getting some 58mm radial fulls on my af1 66s

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #6534 on: July 04, 2023, 09:22:51 PM »
how do aces feel with 1/8 risers, thinking about getting some 58mm radial fulls on my af1 66s

Better than without IMO. I use 1/8” risers on all my Aces despite the wheel size. AF1s and Classics. First set of AF1s I had were 66s on 1/8” risers and 54 mm wheels. I’ve gone up to 60 mm and worn down to 50 mm. All great.

Samsquantch

« Reply #6535 on: July 04, 2023, 09:31:49 PM »

Monster setup!

I liked them better with ⅛". Biggest I've run is 56mm conical full on 66's. Had pretty good wheelbite marks on the deck still but never got pitched.

pops

• Rep: 241
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #6536 on: July 04, 2023, 10:16:26 PM »

1/8 risers always with Aces, they feel great.
Edit. I usually have 55-60mm wheels and prefer wider shapes. I use either 78 or 97/99 duros. I like that the riser give me more turning radius and help with pop.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2023, 06:11:47 AM by pops »

Daydream

• Rep: 80
« Reply #6537 on: July 05, 2023, 02:14:13 AM »
So it really is for helping the pop, or for running bigger wheels? On 52mm with af1 66 hollow, no risers.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2023, 05:31:12 AM by Daydream »

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #6538 on: July 05, 2023, 04:49:29 AM »
So it really it for helping the pop, or for running bigger wheels? On 52mm with af1 66 hollow, no risers.

Pop feel for me. I can use at least 54mm wheels with Aces without risers without any issues. I know people have been using much bigger wheels too. With 1/8” risers the equivalent to 54mm wheels would be 60mm when it comes to wheelbite tolerance. I will still get wheelbite with 50mm wheels and 1/8” risers but with Aces the wheelbite is always very predictable and thus not an issue.

Daydream

• Rep: 80
« Reply #6539 on: July 05, 2023, 05:31:59 AM »
Expand Quote
So it really it for helping the pop, or for running bigger wheels? On 52mm with af1 66 hollow, no risers.
[close]

Pop feel for me. I can use at least 54mm wheels with Aces without risers without any issues. I know people have been using much bigger wheels too. With 1/8” risers the equivalent to 54mm wheels would be 60mm when it comes to wheelbite tolerance. I will still get wheelbite with 50mm wheels and 1/8” risers but with Aces the wheelbite is always very predictable and thus not an issue.
Right. I guess it is more to do with the risers helping the pop angle seeing that ace bring the wheelbase in a bit?