Author Topic: Ace trucks  (Read 747355 times)

cucktard

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 269
Re: Ace trucks
« Reply #6540 on: July 05, 2023, 07:40:52 AM »
What’s the skinniest deck you guys would run with AF1 55s (8.75)?

When I put 66s on 9 inch boards, it seems there is a bit of magic carpet, so I’m wondering how much smaller you can go from ‘official size’ until it actually starts to hot rod.
I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

Zyth

• Rep: 8
« Reply #6541 on: July 05, 2023, 07:53:26 AM »

When I put 66s on 9 inch boards, it seems there is a bit of magic carpet, so I’m wondering how much smaller you can go from ‘official size’ until it actually starts to hot rod.
it depends what wheels you have also 66s with radial fulls and 2 spacers inside is very flush on a 9 inch deck, if you have classics you might want a quarter inch bigger truck

art hellman

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1172
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #6542 on: July 05, 2023, 08:19:40 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
it depends what wheels you have also 66s with radial fulls and 2 spacers inside is very flush on a 9 inch deck, if you have classics you might want a quarter inch bigger truck

I put some Ace AF1s 55 on a cruiser Heroin Egg 9.4, and with 2 spacers inside and some radial fulls, and it's pretty dang close to being flush. 
hardly art, hardly starving

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #6543 on: July 05, 2023, 09:00:49 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
So it really it for helping the pop, or for running bigger wheels? On 52mm with af1 66 hollow, no risers.
[close]

Pop feel for me. I can use at least 54mm wheels with Aces without risers without any issues. I know people have been using much bigger wheels too. With 1/8” risers the equivalent to 54mm wheels would be 60mm when it comes to wheelbite tolerance. I will still get wheelbite with 50mm wheels and 1/8” risers but with Aces the wheelbite is always very predictable and thus not an issue.
[close]
Right. I guess it is more to do with the risers helping the pop angle seeing that ace bring the wheelbase in a bit?

Exactly

Zyth

« Reply #6544 on: July 05, 2023, 09:11:01 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

I put some Ace AF1s 55 on a cruiser Heroin Egg 9.4, and with 2 spacers inside and some radial fulls, and it's pretty dang close to being flush.
what size is that deck at the trucks?
« Last Edit: July 05, 2023, 11:03:38 AM by Zyth »

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 780
« Reply #6545 on: July 05, 2023, 09:29:38 AM »
Af1 55 are an 8.5" axle but the hanger is only about 146mm. I'd say you could ride an 8.18" deck with no issues...

art hellman

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1172
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #6546 on: July 05, 2023, 11:11:32 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

[close]
what size is that deck at the trucks?

hardly art, hardly starving

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6547 on: July 05, 2023, 03:16:44 PM »
Thank you all!
I’m basically wondering if I can get away with 55’s for a deck that’s 8.6 at the trucks, or should go with 44’s. Looking at going with skinnier wheels.

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

Zyth

« Reply #6548 on: July 05, 2023, 03:30:30 PM »
Thank you all!
I’m basically wondering if I can get away with 55’s for a deck that’s 8.6 at the trucks, or should go with 44’s. Looking at going with skinnier wheels.
guess you mean the classic 55s? they would be fine on a 8.6 better than classic 44s imo but af1 60s would be perfect

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6549 on: July 05, 2023, 05:10:09 PM »
Expand Quote
Thank you all!
[close]
guess you mean the classic 55s? they would be fine on a 8.6 better than classic 44s imo but af1 60s would be perfect

I forgot about the AF1 60’s. That’s exactly what I’m thinking of, thanks.

BALARGUE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 615
    • Balargue Skateshop avatar image
« Reply #6550 on: July 06, 2023, 04:39:56 AM »
probably an already answered question somewhere in this thread but, searching can be tricky sometimes

My gotos are Indy 149 hollow forged.
I skated a pair of Ace Classics a while back and really enjoyed them, felt really similar to Indys (maybe you can carve a bit further with Aces) but i finally went back to Indys for some reason.
Since then AF1 were released and i just got a couple pairs at the shop and i'm tempted to try AF1 60s

In a few words, what should i expect from them compared to Hollow Forged Indys / Ace Classics ?

Zyth

« Reply #6551 on: July 06, 2023, 04:50:26 AM »
probably an already answered question somewhere in this thread but, searching can be tricky sometimes

My gotos are Indy 149 hollow forged.
I skated a pair of Ace Classics a while back and really enjoyed them, felt really similar to Indys (maybe you can carve a bit further with Aces) but i finally went back to Indys for some reason.
Since then AF1 were released and i just got a couple pairs at the shop and i'm tempted to try AF1 60s

In a few words, what should i expect from them compared to Hollow Forged Indys / Ace Classics ?
should probably stay with indy tbh they grind better and are way more durable especially the pivot cups but ace just turn the best and look really good

smellsdead

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1238
« Reply #6552 on: July 06, 2023, 05:44:16 AM »
im with you @BALARGUE - been on 55 classics for a bit now with 8.5 decks, but curious about the turn on the hollow af1s

Zyth

« Reply #6553 on: July 06, 2023, 05:53:42 AM »
im with you @BALARGUE - been on 55 classics for a bit now with 8.5 decks, but curious about the turn on the hollow af1s
classics turn slightly better i think but that's because the wheelbase is a bit smaller

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6554 on: July 06, 2023, 07:56:29 AM »
I find the Ace turn better than Indy. (Sharper and deeper) but also feel more comfortable and predictable on center than Indy.
Classics turn slightly better than Af1s.  If there was an 8.75" Ace in a Classic, I'd probably stick to that.

Stage 4 Indy turn even better than Ace classics but have some instability on center like Stage 11s. ts just not as smooth or as predictable turn as an Ace. This might be height related.

I also prefer the pop feel on Ace. It suits my sluggishness. (If I were a young sprightly man on my game, I think the Thunder pop would be better.)

I think my brain and body are just used to Ace now, so I'm, certainly biased. However, its really not that hard to adapt between Ace and Indy and I don't think it is worth switching unless you really need new trucks.

lulz

• Rep: 48
« Reply #6555 on: July 07, 2023, 09:45:08 AM »

Zyth

« Reply #6556 on: July 07, 2023, 10:02:01 AM »
Ace 33 AF1 Polished Silver for 9.99

https://www.zumiez.com/ace-33-af1-polished-silver-skateboard-truck.html

does anyone here skate aces ride 7.75 - 8 inch decks and buy from zumiez?

FatGuy92

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 577
« Reply #6557 on: July 07, 2023, 03:35:58 PM »
My friend went up board sizes and gifted a set of af1 44 hollows. I loved the 44 classics but they were just way too heavy especially once my legs started getting tired during a long sesh. Looking forward to seeing if these are light enough for me.

Update: y'all weren't kidding the AF1 44s feel like I'm skating an 8.0 truck. I took these out for two short sessions and took them off my board. I setup my old 44 classics with 1/16 risers and 53mm conical fulls for slappies and it's a night and day difference. I might consider AF1 55s down the road.

logjammin

• Rep: 336
« Reply #6558 on: July 07, 2023, 06:17:18 PM »
I find the Ace turn better than Indy. (Sharper and deeper) but also feel more comfortable and predictable on center than Indy.
Classics turn slightly better than Af1s.  If there was an 8.75" Ace in a Classic, I'd probably stick to that.

Stage 4 Indy turn even better than Ace classics

All of this is exactly spot on with my turning experience between the three trucks. And also the stage 4's stock bushings sucked for me, I had to equip them with ace mediums immediately. Even though the stage 4's were such an amazing turn, they were super heavy even at the 146 size and I don't even care about having hollow trucks or anything, they just really felt like tanks compared to a standard Ace 44. And also, looking down at Ace hangers is just such a normal aesthetic to me after all these years, so seeing the stage 4 hanger was a constant eye sore.

Daydream

• Rep: 80
« Reply #6559 on: July 07, 2023, 10:16:27 PM »
You love to hear it

BALARGUE

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6560 on: July 08, 2023, 08:26:50 AM »
should probably stay with indy tbh they grind better and are way more durable especially the pivot cups but ace just turn the best and look really good

Expand Quote
[close]
classics turn slightly better i think but that's because the wheelbase is a bit smaller

thanks guys

Stage 4 Indy turn even better than Ace classics but have some instability on center like Stage 11s. ts just not as smooth or as predictable turn as an Ace. This might be height related.

I also prefer the pop feel on Ace. It suits my sluggishness. (If I were a young sprightly man on my game, I think the Thunder pop would be better.)

I think my brain and body are just used to Ace now, so I'm, certainly biased. However, its really not that hard to adapt between Ace and Indy and I don't think it is worth switching unless you really need new trucks.

thanks for the feedback
i actually need new trucks ;)
i really like the way Indys grind but i did like that stability you're talking about on Ace Classics.
I'm torned ahha

rikki

• Rep: 284
« Reply #6561 on: July 08, 2023, 09:09:14 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

thanks guys

Expand Quote

[close]

thanks for the feedback
i actually need new trucks ;)
i really like the way Indys grind but i did like that stability you're talking about on Ace Classics.
I'm torned ahha

Bear in mind, if it matters to you, that Ace Classics are pretty heavy.

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6562 on: July 08, 2023, 10:45:04 AM »
Classics are lighter than Af1s but the difference is negligible.

BALARGUE

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6563 on: July 11, 2023, 02:25:10 AM »
Feeling at home and the weight finally made me go for Indy's
and i regret nothing, i had a new trucks new trick moment  8)

Zyth

« Reply #6564 on: July 11, 2023, 05:50:54 AM »
had to buy some more ace af1 hollows for my other setup, it's really hard to skate other trucks after skating aces

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6565 on: July 11, 2023, 07:05:14 AM »
had to buy some more ace af1 hollows for my other setup, it's really hard to skate other trucks after skating aces

How do the 60’s fit on that?
I’m thinking of almost the exacting same set-up.

Zyth

« Reply #6566 on: July 11, 2023, 07:38:43 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
How do the 60’s fit on that?
I’m thinking of almost the exacting same set-up.
fit perfectly, i had 55s on this before but the 60s are way more stable

TheCrimsonShroud

• Rep: 98
« Reply #6567 on: July 11, 2023, 08:49:32 AM »

Bought these for a shaped cruiser and loved them so much I put them on an 8.5” Polar I dried out and regripped. The axel sticks out about 1/8” but the added hangar width is gonna be great for pools and tranny, which I’m going to get more into as soon as my local park is done.

Zyth

« Reply #6568 on: July 11, 2023, 09:04:00 AM »

Bought these for a shaped cruiser and loved them so much I put them on an 8.5” Polar I dried out and regripped. The axel sticks out about 1/8” but the added hangar width is gonna be great for pools and tranny, which I’m going to get more into as soon as my local park is done.
you should get some 7/8 hardware or 1 inch at least lol

ace hollow hardware is actually a cool gimmick

TheCrimsonShroud

• Rep: 98
« Reply #6569 on: July 11, 2023, 10:03:10 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
you should get some 7/8 hardware or 1 inch at least lol

ace hollow hardware is actually a cool gimmick

Lmao, yeah I’m waiting on 7/8” I’m just impatient and used what I had with the cruiser (which had a 1/4” riser lol