Author Topic: Ace trucks  (Read 747397 times)

Paco Supreme

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 539
  • One Trick Pony
Re: Ace trucks
« Reply #6570 on: July 14, 2023, 12:14:28 AM »
Saw Joey T sampling some ikp aces on Instagram

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 269
« Reply #6571 on: July 14, 2023, 07:03:27 AM »

Looking for this but can’t find it. This would be amazing.
I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

TheLowerBack

• Rep: 171
  • GTU/FWD
« Reply #6572 on: July 14, 2023, 09:32:33 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Looking for this but can’t find it. This would be amazing.
Fuck with your trucks has them on his story.
Hard to see, but almost look like an old GK pin

TheLowerBack

• Rep: 171
  • GTU/FWD
« Reply #6573 on: July 14, 2023, 09:38:21 AM »
He also had their dual duro bushings on his story the other day

CrumblingInfrastructure

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 297
« Reply #6574 on: July 14, 2023, 03:52:54 PM »
I havent boughten Aces yet and im looking at a pair for a 9.25 w/ a 14.43wb deck (BA’s shaped deck). Anyone got any recommendations on what size I should grab? Im hoping to set it up as more of a cruiser with probably 55mm wheels on it.

intendedreceivers

• Rep: 204
« Reply #6575 on: July 14, 2023, 07:07:27 PM »
I havent boughten Aces yet and im looking at a pair for a 9.25 w/ a 14.43wb deck (BA’s shaped deck). Anyone got any recommendations on what size I should grab? Im hoping to set it up as more of a cruiser with probably 55mm wheels on it.

AF1 66 sounds about right on a 9.25 shaped deck with normal wheels. Maybe 60s if you’re going with a super wide cruiser wheel (mini Super Juice or something similar in profile).

Daewons front truck

• Rep: 30
« Reply #6576 on: July 15, 2023, 02:40:30 PM »
Just got a pair of Ace AF1 low 60s and I love them so far! I threw them this curb setup I'm working on that has a 8.5 chocolate deck (8.6 in the middle and 8.45 around both trucks.), 53mm Spitfire F4 classics, Bronson G3s, Enjoi Deck rails, Shorty's 7/8s light hardware, and mob M-80 grip. Also pictured are the AF1 33s and Ace Classic 44s I have. I have really been digging Ace and Thunder recently. Also, I've skated since 2003 and this is the first time I've tried deck rails, is there anyway I can remove these if I fucking hate them?

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 618
« Reply #6577 on: July 15, 2023, 03:13:15 PM »
I've skated since 2003 and this is the first time I've tried deck rails, is there anyway I can remove these if I fucking hate them?
You can actually remove screws using a screwdriver. Shit's fire

Daewons front truck

« Reply #6578 on: July 15, 2023, 03:18:07 PM »
Expand Quote
I've skated since 2003 and this is the first time I've tried deck rails, is there anyway I can remove these if I fucking hate them?
[close]

I think I may have fucked up and stripped the screws using a drill, I meant to mention that but got distracted. Otherwise of course you can. But these bitches won't fucking move. Better hope I enjoy them then XD

iw0

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 504
« Reply #6579 on: July 15, 2023, 03:34:05 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

I think I may have fucked up and stripped the screws using a drill, I meant to mention that but got distracted. Otherwise of course you can. But these bitches won't fucking move. Better hope I enjoy them then XD

in that case if you really hate them, dremel + pliers

Daewons front truck

« Reply #6580 on: July 15, 2023, 04:27:01 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]

in that case if you really hate them, dremel + pliers

Thanks IW0 for the helpful tip. Growing up I never saw anyone with rails but now it seems like so many stores carry them in stock so I finally decided to give in. Just went to session on a ledge near where I work and they were... Interesting. The Aces are awesome of course though.

CrumblingInfrastructure

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 297
« Reply #6581 on: July 15, 2023, 07:13:44 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

AF1 66 sounds about right on a 9.25 shaped deck with normal wheels. Maybe 60s if you’re going with a super wide cruiser wheel (mini Super Juice or something similar in profile).

Thanks for the help! I set up this shape about 4-5 years ago on some 60mm OJ’s I think they were either the hot or super juices and my only issue was the wheels. They road over everything but it felt a little too much like a longboard wheel so I want to try it again with Aces since ive never had them and a smaller or different cut wheel.

logjammin

• Rep: 336
« Reply #6582 on: July 21, 2023, 08:53:57 AM »
Anyone here hammer out their AF1 kingpins? I think someone was saying it's like trying to hammer out a kingpin from a forged plate, so I was wondering what does the trick to get them out.

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 618
« Reply #6583 on: July 21, 2023, 09:40:19 AM »
Anyone here hammer out their AF1 kingpins? I think someone was saying it's like trying to hammer out a kingpin from a forged plate, so I was wondering what does the trick to get them out.
I've also only read that it's super difficult to get it out, but there's a guy at my local who said it wasn't that bad. He built some angled wood thing to hold the baseplate and then hammered it out

DERBY

• Rep: 254
« Reply #6584 on: July 21, 2023, 10:06:04 AM »

af1 hollows we’re tough to get out. stripped the shit outta the threads in doing so

logjammin

« Reply #6585 on: July 21, 2023, 02:30:52 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

af1 hollows we’re tough to get out. stripped the shit outta the threads in doing so

I don't care about strippin the threads since I'll just be ditching it for inverted pins. What was your method?

BALARGUE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 615
    • Balargue Skateshop avatar image
« Reply #6586 on: July 22, 2023, 02:49:11 AM »
I have heard heat could help
Never tried though

switchfakie

« Reply #6587 on: July 22, 2023, 03:18:51 PM »
just bought my first aces, i got the af1 hollow 60's

tried my friends board out and was amazed at how good the turning of aces was

they were also remarkably quiet and the bushings wayy squishier compared to my independents

definitely intrigued

Daydream

• Rep: 80
« Reply #6588 on: July 22, 2023, 10:33:52 PM »
So good, right!

Urtripping

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 526
« Reply #6589 on: July 23, 2023, 10:32:38 AM »
Apologies if this has already been discussed, but I was wondering about running 3 washers on the inside of my 55's in an attempt to make them fit a bit more like some 60's would on an 8.75 deck.

Does that make any sense lol? I know it's not possible to make the hanger itself longer, but my thinking is that pushing the wheels out a couple mm on each end will bring me closer to a truer fit/less magic carpet on the 8.75 and expose a lil more hanger. Is that how this works? This is my first time messing with more washers than usual, in fact I usually have one or fewer and lots of play in the wheel. @Mbrimson88 8 know you do this with 149 indys. My goal is to make transition feel a little better as I struggle with backside grinds when I have magic carpet happening.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2023, 10:41:31 AM by Urtripping »
I saw your mommy and your mommy's dead

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 780
« Reply #6590 on: July 23, 2023, 11:40:40 AM »
It works to an extent but you'll need to make sure you have enough axle thread to have the nuts lock on properly and you still won't get the set up as wide as with 60s. You could also go with wider wheels with a wider contact patch to push things out.

Urtripping

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6591 on: July 23, 2023, 11:46:35 AM »
It works to an extent but you'll need to make sure you have enough axle thread to have the nuts lock on properly and you still won't get the set up as wide as with 60s. You could also go with wider wheels with a wider contact patch to push things out.

Thanks G, I'm on conical fulls for that width as is but I'll keep my eye on the axle nuts... I have one that likes to try to escape as it is haha. Gonna buy 60s when my rear hanger cracks, it's very close

logjammin

« Reply #6592 on: July 23, 2023, 01:54:47 PM »
I've ran 3-4 washers on the inside of wheels for years depending on if I needed to with certain shapes that take up more hanger space. I just take some axle nuts that are more worn in and put them on flipped with the nylock on the inside. New ones will be a bitch to catch the threading so that's why you gotta use some well used ones.

Urtripping

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6593 on: July 23, 2023, 05:19:25 PM »
Extendo washers felt great!

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1028
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #6594 on: July 23, 2023, 07:21:39 PM »
Apologies if this has already been discussed, but I was wondering about running 3 washers on the inside of my 55's in an attempt to make them fit a bit more like some 60's would on an 8.75 deck.

Does that make any sense lol? I know it's not possible to make the hanger itself longer, but my thinking is that pushing the wheels out a couple mm on each end will bring me closer to a truer fit/less magic carpet on the 8.75 and expose a lil more hanger. Is that how this works? This is my first time messing with more washers than usual, in fact I usually have one or fewer and lots of play in the wheel. @Mbrimson88 8 know you do this with 149 indys. My goal is to make transition feel a little better as I struggle with backside grinds when I have magic carpet happening.

Yeah, as others said, put as many as will fit and see how that goes.  I found that I could fit maybe four or more on the Ace trucks I have and they still worked well, compared to three max on other brand hangers / axles like Indy, Thunder and Venture.

It definitely helps "widen" out the trucks a bit more too, for setups or trucks that are not quite as wide as you might like.

The inverted nuts does work well too, after trying it on some other trucks with big wide wheels, so the nuts sit inside the line of the wheel, but you can do it with any wheel / truck combo really - just watch the nuts don't get you in the shin or anything like that.

At least any and all of these options are easy to try, don't mess up the setup and can easily be changed out, so it is not like you are altering anything permanently, which is always good.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

hiljentaa

• Rep: 308
« Reply #6595 on: July 23, 2023, 08:04:26 PM »
I don't fuck with extra washers anymore after having an axle nut tighten while riding down a hill and bind the wheel, and two times having an axle nut fall off.

Not worth it, in my opinion. Just ride what you have how it's meant to be ridden, or buy new trucks.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1028
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #6596 on: July 23, 2023, 08:54:52 PM »
I don't fuck with extra washers anymore after having an axle nut tighten while riding down a hill and bind the wheel, and two times having an axle nut fall off.

Not worth it, in my opinion. Just ride what you have how it's meant to be ridden, or buy new trucks.

Definitely get where you are coming from.

I think after a wheel nut came off once, I always made sure I had excess wheel nuts available in case anything ended up finger tight, it was instant remove and replace, but I like the nuts being flush with the end of the axle, so having spare washers means everything fits nice and snug, never too tight, never too much play.

Might not have helped I bought a number of boxes of axle nuts from ebay not too long ago either, along with way too many washers so at least I can supply anyone and everyone who came through the door with more washers and nuts as needed.

Example (Australian ebay seller prices):

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/182438925571

https://www.ebay.com/itm/182438925571

Qty 200 Jam Nyloc Nut 5/16" UNF = fifty sets of axle nuts per box

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 780
« Reply #6597 on: July 26, 2023, 11:34:13 AM »
Looks like the 10" 80s are out.

Daydream

• Rep: 80
« Reply #6598 on: July 26, 2023, 06:24:13 PM »
Oh wow

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 269
« Reply #6599 on: July 26, 2023, 07:07:14 PM »
They wisely avoided calling them the ‘88s’.
I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea