Author Topic: Ace trucks  (Read 747856 times)

rikki

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 284
Re: Ace trucks
« Reply #6600 on: July 27, 2023, 12:08:24 AM »
They wisely avoided calling them the ‘88s’.

Good call.

And with a 14 inch wheelbase.... ;D

jsettle

• Rep: 134
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #6601 on: July 27, 2023, 06:46:30 AM »
my madness keeps kicking in heavy lately.....i rode indy for 20 yrs and made the switch to ace classic 44s about 5 months ago and love them on 8.25 decks. Recently i have been wanting to skate an 8.38 deck again and keep wondering if i should skate indy 149s on it and go back to indy or get some 8.5 af1s. The aces have been good for me so far, but i also never really had an issue with indys either. My brain has been all over the lace just thinking about trucks the past 2 weeks lol

BALARGUE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 615
    • Balargue Skateshop avatar image
« Reply #6602 on: July 27, 2023, 06:54:34 AM »
Just in case, 44 classics are perfect on a 8.38"

Wizard0f0dds

• Rep: 72
« Reply #6603 on: July 27, 2023, 07:01:27 AM »
If you like the Aces but want them a little wider, just add a couple extra washers on the inside of your wheels. I did that with my Aces 44, 3 washers inside, 1 outside, and it makes a perfect 8.5 truck. Now I'm back on Indy 149s though, both are great trucks, so you can't really go wrong with either.

jsettle

• Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #6604 on: July 27, 2023, 07:25:21 AM »

Yeah i havent tried them with an 8.38 deck yet, but the hanger just looks a little small even on my 8.25 deck so i think it might look even weirder one a 8.38 (just personal preference). I did just find out about the chop shop on mesa website. I already have a set of the ace bushings still brand new, so i can piece my own colorway of af1s together for only 55 bucks. I might go that route tbh
« Last Edit: July 27, 2023, 08:21:45 AM by jsettle »

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1094
« Reply #6605 on: July 27, 2023, 07:52:43 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Yeah i havent tried them with an 8.28 deck yet, but the hanger just looks a little small even on my 8.25 deck so i think it might look even weirder one a 8.38 (just personal preference). I did just find out about the chop shop on mesa website. I already have a set of the ace bushings still brand new, so i can piece my own colorway of af1s together for only 55 bucks. I might go that route tbh

The 44 Classic is 8.35", so it should be perfect for an 8.38" deck. Personally I've only ever skated Ace 44s - first classic and then AF1s - and I found that the 44 Classics worked great in the ~8.2"-8.6" range.

This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

Gunot

• Rep: 10
« Reply #6606 on: July 27, 2023, 12:13:49 PM »
Expand Quote
i keep blowing out ace pivot cups does anyone know what other brand fits the best? not sure if i should try some thunder or indy cups

[close]

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe only Riptide fit for AF-1s. (other than the Ace af-1 pivots themselves)

https://www.riptidesports.com/pivot-cups/ace-af-1-pivot-cups/

I tried those and they didn’t even fit.
Needless to say they blew out while warming up.

switchfakie

« Reply #6607 on: July 28, 2023, 01:36:38 PM »
Looks like the 10" 80s are out.

im droolin, these look purty

switchfakie

« Reply #6608 on: July 28, 2023, 01:38:14 PM »
my madness keeps kicking in heavy lately.....i rode indy for 20 yrs and made the switch to ace classic 44s about 5 months ago and love them on 8.25 decks. Recently i have been wanting to skate an 8.38 deck again and keep wondering if i should skate indy 149s on it and go back to indy or get some 8.5 af1s. The aces have been good for me so far, but i also never really had an issue with indys either. My brain has been all over the lace just thinking about trucks the past 2 weeks lol

somethings in the air g, i skated indys for 9 years and just bought my first aces a week ago
now all i can think of are how amazing aces are. i jumped ship mad fast the moment i stepped on my homies pair

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6609 on: July 28, 2023, 03:16:39 PM »
Ace should hire me to be their token Jew. I'll put my name on the Ace 88s and be like "Don't worry guys, it's cool." I'll also make my services available to Independent re: the iron cross.

jsettle

« Reply #6610 on: July 29, 2023, 04:10:37 PM »
Put the indys on this morning before the sesh at the park to make sure i was fully switched to ace....and yeah im full on converted to ace. The indys were wiggly and more squirly to me than the ace, but that didnt equate to a good of turn as my ace classics. Somehow the aces feel way more stable but turn way better to me. They also just look and feel better too. Had to make sure and im sure ace are the way to go!

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 781
« Reply #6611 on: July 29, 2023, 04:39:09 PM »
Put the indys on this morning before the sesh at the park to make sure i was fully switched to ace....and yeah im full on converted to ace. The indys were wiggly and more squirly to me than the ace, but that didnt equate to a good of turn as my ace classics. Somehow the aces feel way more stable but turn way better to me. They also just look and feel better too. Had to make sure and im sure ace are the way to go!

Yep. I feel the same.

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 692
« Reply #6612 on: July 29, 2023, 09:48:15 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Yep. I feel the same.

I agree about the stable part but not about them turning better. I am still waiting for the bushings to break in and become softer but I am starting to believe this will never happen. I actually read in this thread they will firm up instead. Anyway I put small wheels on my Aces now, I am curious how they feel now.
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

chris.

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 184
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #6613 on: July 30, 2023, 03:53:24 AM »

Bury me with 55 classics

swongolianbbq

• Rep: 44
« Reply #6614 on: August 09, 2023, 02:10:06 PM »
Switched to the hard bushings in my af1 55's

I'm like 5'9 155lbs, 34 yrs old been running loose trucks forever

I didn't like the energy loss from how wiggly they were and when I tightened em a bit I didn't like how the kingpin stuck out

Running the hards, nut flush is killer

Way more stable but I can still swerve into tight turns and adjustments if I need to buy on center they're way more stable

I love it

Also saw a clip of t funk where he had black bushings in his Indy's

I think those dudes like the gx dudes sometimes have different setups for different spots skating softer or harder wheels from 54 to 60mm and looser or tighter trucks, sizes of boards and stuff for say bombing hills or rough spots

JugeL

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 301
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #6615 on: August 10, 2023, 03:47:35 AM »
I just put bones hards in mine. Running flush with no washers will make shit wiggle too much so i used both washers and threw the flat bones ones straight to the bin. Now it's like perfect medium with no disgusting kingpin threads showing.

No idea about geometry but feels about the same i guess?

big_kev_215

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 727
« Reply #6616 on: August 11, 2023, 03:39:20 PM »
Anyone have long-term success skating the AF1 lows?  I made (what I think) is going to be a logical gear decision and decided to give them another shot.  I like trucks that don’t extend the wheelbase as much (like Ace and Indy) and I also like low trucks (like Venture lows, which I was most recently skating), so theoretically the Ace lows should be perfect.  I did pick up the hard bushings (recommended by @BartHarleyJarvis ).  These are the 33’s… have been steadily sizing down my boards as well. 

Just curious if anyone out there is enjoying the lows.

BartHarleyJarvis

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1123
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #6617 on: August 11, 2023, 03:45:38 PM »
Anyone have long-term success skating the AF1 lows?  I made (what I think) is going to be a logical gear decision and decided to give them another shot.  I like trucks that don’t extend the wheelbase as much (like Ace and Indy) and I also like low trucks (like Venture lows, which I was most recently skating), so theoretically the Ace lows should be perfect.  I did pick up the hard bushings (recommended by @BartHarleyJarvis ).  These are the 33’s… have been steadily sizing down my boards as well. 

I enjoy the lows

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 994
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #6618 on: August 11, 2023, 07:58:30 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I enjoy the lows

I did, great truck (especially with hard bushings - made them thunder like).

Just....heavy...and while the geo help with larger wheels for a lo truck, you still run into wheelbite and running 51/50mm wheels can be a chore.

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 848
« Reply #6619 on: August 11, 2023, 09:39:16 PM »

Have them on one of the 3 setups I regularly skate these days. Stock bushings are fine, they don't wheelbite as long as you stay at 52mm and under on your wheel choice. I'm on 44s but they're definitely a good truck..I think I would still put mini logo ahead if you like a more stable and responsive turn and/or weight is a deciding factor for you, but I know a lot of people can't handle the way they look.

swongolianbbq

• Rep: 44
« Reply #6620 on: August 11, 2023, 10:41:24 PM »
Got room for 3 or 4 washers depending on amount of play on my af1 55's

Thinking about using the rethreader nuts as a guide and taking off 1/16" from each side  of the axles with a cutting wheel so it'll be able to run two washers and axle will be 8 3/8

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 618
« Reply #6621 on: August 12, 2023, 07:02:15 AM »

Thinking about using the rethreader nuts as a guide and taking off 1/16" from each side  of the axles with a cutting wheel so it'll be able to run two washers and axle will be 8 3/8
Why give yourself less options?

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 781
« Reply #6622 on: August 12, 2023, 08:17:49 AM »

That won't change the performance of the trucks at all. Unless you get really annoyed with a little axle poke I wouldn't bother.

toe_knee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 210
  • Get bent
« Reply #6623 on: August 14, 2023, 01:09:55 PM »

Been skating them since they dropped, definitely needed the harder bushings, I skate 52mm wheels and can deal with the wheelbite, was riding 54mm before and it was too much, I am noticeably able to to hold grinds longer than I was capable with ventures, but that could be progression. I was curious about switchcing over to royal because I’ve heard pretty good things but I’ll be sticking with ace lows as long as they keep making them, I like the way they skate and how low they are
You want some queso?”
Dan Drehobl to me at make a wish, while handing me a hotdog

Gandito405

• Rep: 6
« Reply #6624 on: August 22, 2023, 01:05:26 PM »
is there any way i can make my indie forged hollow 169s feel like my ace 66s. i have venture loose conversion kit  on the indies they make it sit pretty inward but I'm not really sure how inward it would have to be geometry wise. also have been riding with the front truck looser and the back truck tighter if that makes any difference.

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6625 on: August 22, 2023, 01:13:05 PM »
is there any way i can make my indie forged hollow 169s feel like my ace 66s. i have venture loose conversion kit  on the indies they make it sit pretty inward but I'm not really sure how inward it would have to be geometry wise. also have been riding with the front truck looser and the back truck tighter if that makes any difference.

I blew the bushings out of some old Indy 159s and swapped in some salvaged Ace Classic bushings, and I found it to make up a decent percentage of the difference between Ace and Indy.

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1029
  • Just another skate shop guy
« Reply #6626 on: August 22, 2023, 03:38:00 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I blew the bushings out of some old Indy 159s and swapped in some salvaged Ace Classic bushings, and I found it to make up a decent percentage of the difference between Ace and Indy.

Yes the ever so slightly taller bottom bushing is what gives it that little bit more turn, but also if you want a more loosey goosey turn, waxing or lubricating all contact points between the bushings and washers really makes things loosen up a lot too.  Pivot cup as well.  Beware, cause sometimes that may loosen everything up too much.

If you are just using whatever you have there in the way of bushings and washers, adding another bottom washer under the bottom bushing will lift the truck a bit more, but can mess with OCD and really make you not want to do it.

Tried it just to see what would happen and although it worked and made the truck turn way more, I was not wanting to keep two bottom washers under the bottom bushing.

At least the lower top will help with that too, so you can bring up the truck a bit more without having a nut that will not fit on the kingpin or trucks that start off way too tight to work for you.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 38
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
« Reply #6627 on: August 22, 2023, 11:10:48 PM »
Yes, sell them and buy 66s.
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

Daydream

• Rep: 80

Esmith5488

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 400
« Reply #6629 on: August 26, 2023, 01:53:03 AM »

Been running them with the hards and 53’s and have been for about a year. Wanted a low truck and venture didn’t have a low in the size I wanted so I went with ace and I don’t have any plans to change right now. Pretty sure it’s the 33? 8.25 width