Author Topic: Ace trucks  (Read 748173 times)

onkalo

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 28
Re: Ace trucks
« Reply #6630 on: August 26, 2023, 11:10:44 AM »
Anyone have long-term success skating the AF1 lows?  I made (what I think) is going to be a logical gear decision and decided to give them another shot.  I like trucks that don’t extend the wheelbase as much (like Ace and Indy) and I also like low trucks (like Venture lows, which I was most recently skating), so theoretically the Ace lows should be perfect.  I did pick up the hard bushings (recommended by @BartHarleyJarvis ).  These are the 33’s… have been steadily sizing down my boards as well. 

Just curious if anyone out there is enjoying the lows.

Been on 44 lows since march, front truck kept blowing top bushings so replaced the top washer with a flat one, fixed the problem. Rear axle seems a little bent from the wear of wheels but could also be my 3-year-old bearings being loose. Have them on factory tightness, and getting wheelbite is common even though i’m a pretty light guy, but since getting used to the trucks it hasn’t really bothered me (I have ridden them with 53 and 52mm wheels, and thinking i could even get 54’s).

For first time skating them, i felt skating was way harder, but succesful tricks felt better (came from thunder 148 lights). Got some nice grooves on them, but still haven’t hit the axle yet. Also makes me being able to skate my boards longer since the pop angle won’t get too high even if the tail is worn. Pop feel is also very light because of this.

I think these may be the best trucks i’ve ever had. (I’ve had 5.2 venture lo’s, thunder 148 teams and lights and many independent 139s stage 10-11)…

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1112
« Reply #6631 on: August 30, 2023, 08:48:39 PM »
damn it. you guys make me want to try the ace lows. i gotta grind thru something first

Kfresh

• Rep: 8
« Reply #6632 on: August 31, 2023, 12:48:46 PM »
I want to size up to around an 8.38 board with 54mm wheels. It looks like the 44 classics are the way to go here, but is there an AF1 hollow option that fits as well?

Scottboarding

• Rep: 82
« Reply #6633 on: August 31, 2023, 01:53:07 PM »
I want to size up to around an 8.38 board with 54mm wheels. It looks like the 44 classics are the way to go here, but is there an AF1 hollow option that fits as well?
Ace hangers are usually shorter than other brands so you could go with the AF1 55 Hollows and your wheels won’t be as far apart as they would with most other 8.5 trucks. I’ve skated 8.38 boards with 8.5 trucks from other brands and that 1/8th of an inch was pretty unnoticeable in practice.

Kfresh

« Reply #6634 on: August 31, 2023, 02:05:02 PM »
Awesome. Thanks a ton!

Bumba

• Rep: 32
« Reply #6635 on: August 31, 2023, 05:37:20 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Ace hangers are usually shorter than other brands so you could go with the AF1 55 Hollows and your wheels won’t be as far apart as they would with most other 8.5 trucks. I’ve skated 8.38 boards with 8.5 trucks from other brands and that 1/8th of an inch was pretty unnoticeable in practice.

I found with classics that the axles can easily fit another washer to push the wheels out a touch

Esmith5488

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 400
« Reply #6636 on: September 02, 2023, 08:20:57 AM »
I ran the AF1 44 with 8.3 and it worked great. 8.25 axle but nothing a washer or two can’t fix

big_kev_215

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 727
« Reply #6637 on: September 02, 2023, 08:53:49 AM »
Update:  I’ve been skating the AF1 lows for a few weeks now and I really like them.  The Ace low hard bushings make a huge difference from last time I tried them.  I have the kingpin nut completely flush and they turn really well without being unskateably loose.  The pinch feels great on them and the material seems to grind better than I remember from the AF1’s I previously skated (maybe it’s going from Venture to AF1 instead of Ace classics to AF1…).  I’m going to keep skating them for a while for sure. 

Also, thanks for the feedback everyone!

Kfresh

« Reply #6638 on: September 02, 2023, 10:34:10 AM »
Hmmm. Now I have some decisions to make.begween the 44 or 55 AF1 for an 8.38

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1030
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #6639 on: September 02, 2023, 01:14:54 PM »
Hmmm. Now I have some decisions to make.begween the 44 or 55 AF1 for an 8.38

Easiest way to go is this (even though it is not the be all and end all of truck to deck size ratio):

Wider truck for more stability, usually better for transition and anything that you want the wheel to sit at the edge of the board, without it sticking out at all and the board being well balanced.

Narrow truck for street skating, rail and ledge balance, board tech, flip tricks and the like, where the wheels sit under the board, so you don't see them at all and the board being a little more tippy on the side.

There are pros and cons to both setups, but when dealing with truck sizes, that is often the easiest way to look at it.  I have the AF1 55 size on my 8.38 boards wanting more balance, but another guy I know has the AF1 44 size who skates rails, ledges, lots of flip tricks and says they skate better for him than the 55s.

Adding or removing washers from the inside will also help to move wheels in or out more, especially on Ace trucks as the hanger itself is not quite as wide as other brands, but the axle is still about the same (as others have said) so you can get more washers on the inside if you want to push the wheels out further, on any of their trucks.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

macho taildrop

• Rep: 22
« Reply #6640 on: September 05, 2023, 09:23:20 AM »
Apologies if this has been covered elsewhere, but are the AF-1 low bushings the same height(s) as the classic low bushings?

bombsaway86

• Rep: 160
« Reply #6641 on: September 05, 2023, 10:41:56 AM »
Apologies if this has been covered elsewhere, but are the AF-1 low bushings the same height(s) as the classic low bushings?

Yes

macho taildrop

• Rep: 22
« Reply #6642 on: September 05, 2023, 12:10:02 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Yes

Thanks!

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 692
« Reply #6643 on: September 11, 2023, 09:59:30 AM »
Expand Quote
On my second session on the 55s. The turn still is not great, how long do these take to break in?

Also, I tried to grind my go to metal ledge. Coming from Indies, this just plain sucked. They don't even grind half as long with the same speed. Is there something you can do about this? Talking about brand new trucks here.

I was so disappointed but thought I'd give them a shot on a concrete ledge and surprisingly, the grind was ok. Should I even bother giving them a shot on a European granite curb for slappies... what do you reckon?
[close]

If they’re Classics, change the washers. The stock ones are thick and too small. This has been an issue for me on almost all my Classics. Surprisingly though one set was ok with the stock washers.

Bro at last I changed the washers on my Aces, put in some flat washers from the Bones bushing sets. This is such a game changer, literally like day and night. Now they TURN. They turn so good I even contemplate tightening them a quarter turn, but wow, thanks man.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2023, 12:01:32 PM by Easy Slider »
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

logjammin

• Rep: 336
« Reply #6644 on: September 11, 2023, 10:08:16 AM »
I really miss looking down at Ace hangers but running Indy stage 7 and 11 hangers on Ace classic baseplates they just grind so much better than both AF1 and classic hangers :-X. Ace needs to come out with an inverted AF1 truck so I can have an excuse to go back.

mstuntbless

• Rep: 12
« Reply #6645 on: September 12, 2023, 07:51:09 AM »
Talk to me about classic 44s. I skate 8.3..14.38 wb. I like Indy but they are so damn high. The 44s are lower and the axle matches perfectly. Plz tell me if I’m missing something!

rikki

• Rep: 284
« Reply #6646 on: September 12, 2023, 08:14:23 AM »
Talk to me about classic 44s. I skate 8.3..14.38 wb. I like Indy but they are so damn high. The 44s are lower and the axle matches perfectly. Plz tell me if I’m missing something!

They're good trucks. A bit on the heavy side. The turn is amazing – I actually prefer Ace hard bushings as the stock ones can be almost too squirrely, but those who like loose trucks will love the Ace Classics. The wheelbase effect is probably the shortest of all trucks on the Classics (like 2.75" if I'm not mistaken), so anything less than 14.38" wb can feel weird. The grind is not as good as on Indys, but they grind. You'll either love 'em or hate 'em. If you skate transition, most probably the former. If street only, well, if the weight and possibly weird pop are not an issue for you, go for it. Some people swear by the Classics.

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1093
« Reply #6647 on: September 12, 2023, 09:11:37 AM »
I skated the Classics and then moved to the AF1s, and IMO there's nothing about Ace Trucks which isn't improved in the AF1.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 781
« Reply #6648 on: September 12, 2023, 09:20:09 AM »
I'd argue I slightly prefer the turn and pop feel of the classics but there is not enough in it to really deter me from AF1s. The AF1s are way higher quality, better grind (some might argue otherwise), and way more durable. The sizing options are better with the AF1s also.

I seemed to have skated my best on classic 55s over the last few years, so I have set on hand... me and Ronnie Sandoval know what's up...

mstuntbless

• Rep: 12
« Reply #6649 on: September 12, 2023, 10:53:50 AM »
Thanks for the feedback ya’ll. It’s interesting because if I want to stay on Indy but I want the height of the classics I would have to go with an Indy mid which would be heavier than the classics.

onkalo

« Reply #6650 on: September 12, 2023, 12:14:37 PM »
Set up a new deck yesterday and noticed these small cracks going on under the pivot cup on my af1 44 lows. Isn’t noticeable but i’m a bit bummed still.

rikki

• Rep: 284
« Reply #6651 on: September 12, 2023, 12:37:04 PM »
Thanks for the feedback ya’ll. It’s interesting because if I want to stay on Indy but I want the height of the classics I would have to go with an Indy mid which would be heavier than the classics.

Why not try the Indy Forged Hollows? They're almost as low as the Classics. 1.5mm difference shouldn't throw you off.

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1093
« Reply #6652 on: September 12, 2023, 02:05:02 PM »
Set up a new deck yesterday and noticed these small cracks going on under the pivot cup on my af1 44 lows. Isn’t noticeable but i’m a bit bummed still.

I wouldn’t hesitate to contact Ace about a warranty replacement. I had two loose kingpins in my Ace Classics and they let me swap them for AF-1 44s. Sent them an email on a Sunday night and I had new trucks and some stickers by Friday. Other people here have had similar experiences.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

GS77

• Rep: 94
« Reply #6653 on: September 12, 2023, 04:34:13 PM »
I put 169 Indy’s on a new deck and I immediately want to take them off. I think I’m done with Indy’s. At my advanced age the Ace wiggle is my favorite trick. Indy’s feel dull and floppy in comparison.

Ace 55 Classics are like a sports car in comparison…

DERBY

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 254
« Reply #6654 on: September 12, 2023, 06:25:41 PM »
I put 169 Indy’s on a new deck and I immediately want to take them off. I think I’m done with Indy’s. At my advanced age the Ace wiggle is my favorite trick. Indy’s feel dull and floppy in comparison.

Ace 55 Classics are like a sports car in comparison…

you’re so on the nose bout my feelings with indy’s.  indys started to feel lifeless and like a drag after i tried aces

toe_knee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 210
  • Get bent
« Reply #6655 on: September 15, 2023, 08:08:24 AM »

Mine are doing the same, I’ve gone through quite a few setups I wonder if they will honor it as a manufacturer defect
You want some queso?”
Dan Drehobl to me at make a wish, while handing me a hotdog

onkalo

« Reply #6656 on: September 15, 2023, 08:39:04 AM »
Those cracks probably are caused because there is a hole under the pivot cup they had to make to make the pivot cup sit so low. Hopefully there won’t chip pieces off, which might lead to the pivot cup being loose. Not gonna try to make some warranty claims as that hole seems to be pretty mandatory for the truck design, and i’ve never had any luck with warranty claims…

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 266
« Reply #6657 on: September 16, 2023, 12:51:59 AM »
Thank you to everyone who said to get hard bushings and run loose.
Fucking sweeeeeet.
I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

shouldn't

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 74
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #6658 on: September 16, 2023, 02:13:23 PM »
i have af1’s right now, first time skating ace’s. they haven’t broken in yet but there is a horrible clanking noise every time i turn on the back truck. if i just apply pressure to them on either side with my hands they make the noise. anyone else had this problem? should i just swap out the bushings or what? i also ride really lose so it’s definitely not a problem with them being too tight.

imagine fucking the dog shit outta chris roberts

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 781
« Reply #6659 on: September 16, 2023, 02:16:34 PM »
They will break in and stop clicking. Go session them.