Author Topic: Ace trucks  (Read 747416 times)

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1094
Re: Ace trucks
« Reply #6660 on: September 16, 2023, 04:12:06 PM »
i have af1’s right now, first time skating ace’s. they haven’t broken in yet but there is a horrible clanking noise every time i turn on the back truck. if i just apply pressure to them on either side with my hands they make the noise. anyone else had this problem? should i just swap out the bushings or what? i also ride really lose so it’s definitely not a problem with them being too tight.

Normal for Ace. It will go away, I promise, but the solution which worked for me was to disassemble the truck and apply a thin layer of grease to all the metal-on-metal surfaces.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

rikki

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 284
« Reply #6661 on: September 17, 2023, 01:31:20 AM »
As others have said, the clicking WILL go away. Patience. Don't bother to start taping your kingpin or any of the ridiculously tedious methods.

logjammin

• Rep: 336
« Reply #6662 on: September 17, 2023, 03:57:40 AM »
Just remove the top washer. Easy. Done. Plus, extra turning mode engaged.

shouldn't

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 73
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #6663 on: September 17, 2023, 01:00:20 PM »
thank you guys. yeah i used to take off the top washer when i rode ventures a long time ago so i’ll try that & the grease method. i appreciate the responses.

imagine fucking the dog shit outta chris roberts

logjammin

• Rep: 336
« Reply #6664 on: September 23, 2023, 08:37:53 AM »
Gave into some madness and bought some AF1 60's since I never tried out the size. Left them stock just took off the top washers like usual. 1-2 frontside slappies and 10 minutes into the session, front pivot cup ripped in half. How these trucks don't get more criticism outside of slap, I have no idea, because these pivot cups are absolute dog shit. Put some random Riptide ones from the junk bag in 'em and they seem to fit fine. Otherwise, beautiful trucks and turning....

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 780
« Reply #6665 on: September 23, 2023, 08:43:18 AM »
Damn. I keep reading about the pivot cups and worry about mine. I have broken in 1 set of Af1 55s, two sets of 60s and one set of 66s and never had an issue. Pivot cups still going strong in all sets. Down to axle on the 55s and cups show no sign of damage.

I don't do any really high impact stuff but I like to ride loose and smash my trucks into curbs and pool coping and crank them around tight shallow ends...

LebowskisRug

« Reply #6666 on: September 23, 2023, 09:40:41 AM »
I'm the only person I know in real life that had the pivot cup issues but every person I know with AF1 have the clicking washers.

tuesday

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 285
  • The mistery of shadows
« Reply #6667 on: September 23, 2023, 11:30:22 AM »
Anyone knows what the 'AF' actually stands for?

Fartknocker415

• Rep: -45
« Reply #6668 on: September 23, 2023, 12:55:22 PM »
Air force

jgonzalez

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 770
  • no not never. looser.
    • JGonz4ever avatar image
« Reply #6669 on: September 25, 2023, 12:19:45 PM »
Less than 5 sessions on a new set of hollow lows 44s

Looks like the top bushing is already crumbling from my little crooks slappies. Maybe I should have cruised on them more to break them in? I’m gonna try to replace them quick before I start grinding down the axle and can’t. Anyone else hold off on crooks until they stiffen up more?

nothing's been the since same

yourbreakfsat

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 762
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #6670 on: September 25, 2023, 12:31:16 PM »

Always First

Lou Strux

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2202
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
« Reply #6671 on: September 25, 2023, 03:46:49 PM »
As Fuck.
As in: “Ace’s new AsFuck1 trucks turn really well.”

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 780
« Reply #6672 on: September 25, 2023, 03:51:11 PM »

Looks like the top bushing is already crumbling from my little crooks slappies. Maybe I should have cruised on them more to break them in? I’m gonna try to replace them quick before I start grinding down the axle and can’t. Anyone else hold off on crooks until they stiffen up more?

The bushings can bulge and feel a little fragile during  break in but I've never seen that.

GS77

• Rep: 94
« Reply #6673 on: September 25, 2023, 04:03:12 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

The bushings can bulge and feel a little fragile during  break in but I've never seen that.

Maybe the top washer is cutting the bushing?

I had that happen on my Indy’s and I took the bottom washer off an extra truck and moved it to the top washer. Problem went away.

jgonzalez

• SLAP Pal
  • no not never. looser.
« Reply #6674 on: September 25, 2023, 04:06:08 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Maybe the top washer is cutting the bushing?

I had that happen on my Indy’s and I took the bottom washer off an extra truck and moved it to the top washer. Problem went away.
You’re right it looks like the washer is cutting into the bushing. They’re pretty soft but had just started to harden up too. Oh well. Will swing by the shop and check for some low bushings

Mr. Pickles

• Rep: 39
« Reply #6675 on: September 25, 2023, 05:54:59 PM »
Aye foo

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 36
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #6676 on: September 25, 2023, 11:28:05 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I would hit that warranty email
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

Gandito405

• Rep: 6
« Reply #6677 on: October 02, 2023, 09:22:38 PM »
I keep tightening my aces, but for some reason they keep loosening. Am I going crazy or are they suppose to do that. I have 2.5 threads showing in the back truck but it feels looser than my front with half a thread showing. I must be going insane, better check into the mental hospital.

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1094
« Reply #6678 on: October 03, 2023, 09:46:55 AM »
I keep tightening my aces, but for some reason they keep loosening. Am I going crazy or are they suppose to do that. I have 2.5 threads showing in the back truck but it feels looser than my front with half a thread showing. I must be going insane, better check into the mental hospital.

Have your kingpins rattled loose? This happened to me with both of my Ace Classics.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

jgonzalez

• SLAP Pal
  • no not never. looser.
« Reply #6679 on: October 08, 2023, 04:44:29 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
I would hit that warranty email
Thanks for the advice. Hit the warranty and they sent an apologetic message and some bushings out pretty quick. Thankful.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1028
  • Just another skate shop guy
« Reply #6680 on: October 08, 2023, 05:40:44 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Have your kingpins rattled loose? This happened to me with both of my Ace Classics.

One other thing I notice is the back truck bushings always compress more than the front on my boards, so even try switching the bushings around - front now in the back, back now in the front. 

Compared to changing hangers or other things that make it just weird, bushings usually don't feel too bad or acan even give you a better ride for a while, but I will also try to put them in the same way / same facings as where they were, just switched between trucks.

Some sets of Ace trucks I have had traded in have such stiff feeling bushings, but others feel so mushy and have very little resistance, so it is an interesting thing, given the people who had them say they are still stock bushings in them.

Maybe some people would benefit from having a set of the Ace hard bushings in the back truck and the regular bushings in the front truck too, or even combinations of each, but again, mark which are which so it is not a bad mix and match and you end up with them in the wrong trucks.

One set of Ace trucks that came in had about three to four threads showing, but the bushings felt great on them, not at all tight or squashed feeling, so I just used the angle grinder and took down the kingpins, so now they work well, more clearance and fewer issues all up.  Just went really easy on the grinder so I didn't cook the bushings, which can happen if you go too hard on it - they bubble and just melt.

Just a few thoughts anyway.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

FatGuy92

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 577
« Reply #6681 on: October 08, 2023, 11:08:09 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

One other thing I notice is the back truck bushings always compress more than the front on my boards, so even try switching the bushings around - front now in the back, back now in the front. 

Compared to changing hangers or other things that make it just weird, bushings usually don't feel too bad or acan even give you a better ride for a while, but I will also try to put them in the same way / same facings as where they were, just switched between trucks.

Some sets of Ace trucks I have had traded in have such stiff feeling bushings, but others feel so mushy and have very little resistance, so it is an interesting thing, given the people who had them say they are still stock bushings in them.

Maybe some people would benefit from having a set of the Ace hard bushings in the back truck and the regular bushings in the front truck too, or even combinations of each, but again, mark which are which so it is not a bad mix and match and you end up with them in the wrong trucks.

One set of Ace trucks that came in had about three to four threads showing, but the bushings felt great on them, not at all tight or squashed feeling, so I just used the angle grinder and took down the kingpins, so now they work well, more clearance and fewer issues all up.  Just went really easy on the grinder so I didn't cook the bushings, which can happen if you go too hard on it - they bubble and just melt.

Just a few thoughts anyway.

To add my 2c, I skated Ace Classics (44s specifically) a ton and never had an issue with bushings. A little while after the AF1s came out, I bought replacement bushings and noticed they felt completely different than the stock bushings in the Classics.. very squirrelly upon installation and they seemed to degrade faster than what I was used to.. the old bushings were very loose and turny but stable on center while the new ones were floppy.

I ended up trying the Ace hard bushings and while the break in period sucked, once they were broken in, I had that mix of looseness and control that I was missing. Maybe try those?

Just to note, I have no clue if Ace actually changed their bushings and have nothing to back my claims aside from pure feeling, but I’ve been using the hard bushings on my curb setup for a few months now with no complaints.

sweet son of a bitch

• Rep: 62
« Reply #6682 on: October 09, 2023, 06:02:59 PM »
I got some hard bushings but had them on different set up. I’ve been thinking of setting them up again on this new 8.25. Now it’s for sure. Thanks.

Gandito405

• Rep: 6
« Reply #6683 on: October 09, 2023, 07:06:06 PM »
is ace hollow hardware any good? kinda thinking they will cave in if bashed into a wall/coping.

Scottboarding

• Rep: 82
« Reply #6684 on: October 09, 2023, 07:11:51 PM »
is ace hollow hardware any good? kinda thinking they will cave in if bashed into a wall/coping.
Can’t speak on durability but I’m not a huge fan. Tightening them all the way down was difficult because of the teeth. No clue how the ads had people not using an Allen wrench with them, I had to use one and grip the skate tool as hard as I could to get them all the way down.

BL0B

• Rep: 414
« Reply #6685 on: October 09, 2023, 11:05:22 PM »

i like it, no problems here. most my boards are wide so always looking to shed any extra weight.

Firebert

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 230
    • Instagram avatar image
« Reply #6686 on: October 10, 2023, 02:51:12 AM »
Ace hollow hardware weighs twice as much as my titanium* hardware. Don’t forget it’s got grips added and a wider head than usual to accommodate the hollow-ness.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2023, 11:42:42 PM by Firebert »

BL0B

• Rep: 414
« Reply #6687 on: October 10, 2023, 05:46:09 PM »
Ace hollow hardware weighs twice as much as my regular hardware. Don’t forget it’s got grips added and a wider head than usual to accommodate the hollow-ness.

twice as much compared to what? wider heads had been the norm until shorty's and a lot of people still prefer it.

SaySo

• Rep: 113
  • "Yellow buttercup. Helicopters. Orange buttercat."
« Reply #6688 on: October 11, 2023, 04:43:37 AM »

Arthur Fonzarelli?

"I've got a friend of polar nature, and it's all peace. You and I seek similar stars, but can't sit at the same feast."

"Not every pony grows up to be a Pegasus."

"There's smoke in my iris, but I painted a sunny day on the insides of my eyelids."

Firebert

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 230
    • Instagram avatar image
« Reply #6689 on: October 11, 2023, 06:33:56 AM »
Expand Quote
Ace hollow hardware weighs twice as much as my regular hardware. Don’t forget it’s got grips added and a wider head than usual to accommodate the hollow-ness.
[close]

twice as much compared to what? wider heads had been the norm until shorty's and a lot of people still prefer it.

Compared to AR (not painted) allen shake junt hardware (both 7/8)
« Last Edit: October 11, 2023, 10:38:56 AM by Firebert »