Author Topic: Ace trucks  (Read 747277 times)

tuesday

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 285
  • The mistery of shadows
Re: Ace trucks
« Reply #6690 on: October 11, 2023, 09:54:47 AM »
Expand Quote
Anyone knows what the 'AF' actually stands for?
[close]

Arthur Fonzarelli?

LOL. This is so good! The Fonz signature truck line.

BL0B

• Rep: 414
« Reply #6691 on: October 11, 2023, 05:57:44 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Ace hollow hardware weighs twice as much as my regular hardware. Don’t forget it’s got grips added and a wider head than usual to accommodate the hollow-ness.
[close]

twice as much compared to what? wider heads had been the norm until shorty's and a lot of people still prefer it.
[close]

Compared to AR (not painted) allen shake junt hardware (both 7/8)

the bolts themselves should weigh the same. twice as much would be a huge dif.

My wife just bought a kitchen scale so I decided to do a little test between the Ace Hollow hardware and the Shorty's Lights that I normally use. All sets are 7/8 allen.

The bolts themselves weigh the exact same, so the only weight savings comes with the thinner nuts that Shorty's uses. Could pair the Ace bolts with the Shorty's nuts to at least get the benefit of potentially not needing to use an allen key and Ace's claim that their bolts don't cause griptape swirls (that's never been a problem for me anyway as long as you only tighten from the nut side)

Gandito405

• Rep: 6
« Reply #6692 on: October 19, 2023, 08:32:59 PM »
been having problems with axle stall because my front truck slips to the heel side wheel instead of being stable, making it very jarring so i run off my board. is there any way to fix that besides learning to grind a ledge. (i don't know how to do that yet because i'm still in the beginning stages)

boneless900

• Rep: 57
« Reply #6693 on: October 19, 2023, 09:59:55 PM »
Blew out another pair of AF1 pivot cups so I'm gonna try out the white Krux pivot cups again. If those don't fit/feel good, I'll try out mini logo next. Hoping the harder pivot cups hold up a bit better for me

rikki

• Rep: 284
« Reply #6694 on: October 19, 2023, 11:22:40 PM »
been having problems with axle stall because my front truck slips to the heel side wheel instead of being stable, making it very jarring so i run off my board. is there any way to fix that besides learning to grind a ledge. (i don't know how to do that yet because i'm still in the beginning stages)

Keep your weight more on the back foot. Lock the heelside rear wheel on the coping first. The front trucks should take care of themselves, it doesn't really matter what the exact placement is as long as you're in control of your back foot. For grinds on coping, it's good to aim for a crosslock where the rear heelside wheel and front toeside wheel are both locked on the coping. But it all starts with the back foot.

Firebert

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 230
    • Instagram avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #6695 on: October 19, 2023, 11:39:47 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Ace hollow hardware weighs twice as much as my regular hardware. Don’t forget it’s got grips added and a wider head than usual to accommodate the hollow-ness.
[close]

twice as much compared to what? wider heads had been the norm until shorty's and a lot of people still prefer it.
[close]

Compared to AR (not painted) allen shake junt hardware (both 7/8)
[close]

the bolts themselves should weigh the same. twice as much would be a huge dif.

Expand Quote
My wife just bought a kitchen scale so I decided to do a little test between the Ace Hollow hardware and the Shorty's Lights that I normally use. All sets are 7/8 allen.

The bolts themselves weigh the exact same, so the only weight savings comes with the thinner nuts that Shorty's uses. Could pair the Ace bolts with the Shorty's nuts to at least get the benefit of potentially not needing to use an allen key and Ace's claim that their bolts don't cause griptape swirls (that's never been a problem for me anyway as long as you only tighten from the nut side)
[close]
I remeasured and you’re right, I made a mistake, I was weighing titanium hardware I painted black. The sj hardware and ace hollow weigh the same.

OhioGuy

• Rep: 62
« Reply #6696 on: October 22, 2023, 03:25:02 PM »
Ah, it’s that time again, when I wonder if I should try my 44s again. I actually took some of the hard bushings and put them in my Indy’s and I love them now. Wondering if hard Ace bushings in Ace trucks will make them feel just as stable. It’s a cheap enough experiment.

bbk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 278
  • Dopeness
« Reply #6697 on: October 23, 2023, 08:15:50 AM »
Jacopo really makes them look good. I should probably set them up.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1112
« Reply #6698 on: October 23, 2023, 11:03:06 AM »
Jacopo really makes them look good. I should probably set them up.

you dirty dirty sonuvabitch!

i’ve kept my af1 44s that i’ve f’d up by trying to replace the pivot cups, SOLELY for this reason. i’ve never seen his setup details, but ….he makes it all look good.

curse you for putting this thought back into my head

Bumba

• Rep: 32
« Reply #6699 on: October 27, 2023, 04:21:44 PM »
I bought some ace hard bushings for my classics. I went to put them in and they seem way too big for the truck. Am I tripping or anyone else noticed this? Once I put the bushings and washers on there was only like 1cm of kingpin to put my nut on and tighten it down.

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1028
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #6700 on: October 27, 2023, 04:49:32 PM »
I bought some ace hard bushings for my classics. I went to put them in and they seem way too big for the truck. Am I tripping or anyone else noticed this? Once I put the bushings and washers on there was only like 1cm of kingpin to put my nut on and tighten it down.

Do you mean one mm of kingpin, so almost one or two threads showing?

This is what Indy trucks used to be like with the taller bushings, before they changed them down, so if you took off the kingpin nut on a new set, it was near impossible to get it back on until the bushings had compressed down some.  You can still press down firmly on the kingpin and tool to push the bushings down some to then get the nut on nicely, as I used to have to do, but if it doesn't want to go on at all, see options below.

I haven't seen the hard bushings, so don't know much about them besides the height and duro, from looking at them online, but I am guessing like any bushings, you need to get the nut down on them to make them compress and work, otherwise they would be very loose.

Being hard bushings too, if things are too tight / don't work, try the stock top with the hard bottoms at first, or mix and match to see what works best.

Only other thing I usually do is cut the tops down - just take a single mm or two max from the lower part of the top bushings, as I have done on many bushings of all types, shapes, sizes, etc but that is probably not the sort of thing you want to hear with your brand new hard bushings.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

rikki

• Rep: 284
« Reply #6701 on: October 28, 2023, 12:32:09 AM »

Sounds weird, I didn't notice anything like this when I was riding Aces and hard bushings. They should be the same size.

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 617
« Reply #6702 on: October 28, 2023, 01:16:18 PM »
Are you riding classic lows?

BSslappysOnly

• Rep: 2
« Reply #6703 on: October 28, 2023, 07:09:30 PM »

You’re not tripping. I tried putting hard bushings in a pair of AF1s and I could barely get the nut on. They also barely turned. I compared them to the Indy stage 4 bushings and they are the same size.

sweet son of a bitch

• Rep: 62
« Reply #6704 on: October 29, 2023, 06:36:02 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

You’re not tripping. I tried putting hard bushings in a pair of AF1s and I could barely get the nut on. They also barely turned. I compared them to the Indy stage 4 bushings and they are the same size.
I only had this issue on old aces. On my af1 I had no issue and they’re perfect.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 994
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #6705 on: October 29, 2023, 06:37:45 PM »

The [new af1] hards have a taller top bushings compared to the classic tops...even tho ACE says they can be used for both; you'd be better off with an ACE low hard top or Indy black/yellows.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2023, 06:45:08 PM by Xen »

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 780
« Reply #6706 on: October 30, 2023, 10:14:29 AM »
After a year os so on AF1s, I threw my Classics back on this weekend and my oh my what a truck. For whatever reason, I skate better on Classics. Might have to go back to them full time... If only there was a Classic 8.75"...

Anyway, hard bushings fit just fine... maybe a bit more of a squeeze but great once broken in.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1112
« Reply #6707 on: October 30, 2023, 10:49:41 AM »
After a year os so on AF1s, I threw my Classics back on this weekend and my oh my what a truck. For whatever reason, I skate better on Classics. Might have to go back to them full time... If only there was a Classic 8.75"...

Anyway, hard bushings fit just fine... maybe a bit more of a squeeze but great once broken in.

classic 55s are the shit. i gave mine away, along with my last shaped board, and of course i miss it.
the ollie with the classic 55s was so much better for me, than the 44s, i’m not sure what to say. the geo felt different, the kingpin nut was hard to get a skate tool onto, they felt stiff/tighter. the pop was rad, which is generally where i disembark the ace train.

my af1s look and feel quality. squirrelly fuckers tho. can’t get a decent ollie to save my life.

some trucks just hit their stride, in different sizes for me. e.g. venture 5.0 lo’s, 5.8 hi’s, indy 159s***, ace classic 55s.
f’n indy 159s are just too beast for my baby legs, but those trucks are sick.

pops

• Rep: 241
« Reply #6708 on: October 30, 2023, 01:44:08 PM »

So true man. I also always felt like I skate better with Classics. I'm sticking to Af1 60s for now though since they fit my current setup better. Next board I'm going back to Classics.

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6709 on: October 30, 2023, 01:53:13 PM »
I think I'm going to get some back up Classic 55s, just incase Ace stop making them. They say they won't but I'm not sure I trust this info....
#panicbuying

BL0B

• Rep: 414
« Reply #6710 on: October 30, 2023, 04:40:42 PM »

take some 55's down to 8.75" with this. you'd need to shorten and re tap your axles. that was the wrong clip but there's another one where they remove quite a bit of material fairly easily.

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 617
« Reply #6711 on: October 31, 2023, 07:42:21 AM »
Since classics feel lighter when skating (my opinion), do AF1 hollows feel similar to classics?
Thinking about getting hollows and putting them on AF1 low baseplates for the lightest ace possible.

lamfordie

• Trade Count: (-1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 292
« Reply #6712 on: November 06, 2023, 09:51:49 AM »
I dont know if this had happen to anyone else but my bottom bushing on my af1 is about 1mm shorter than the other one. I dont know if this is a defect and will it effect my turning. Any guesses?

kneebone

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 356
« Reply #6713 on: November 06, 2023, 10:52:08 AM »
Since classics feel lighter when skating (my opinion), do AF1 hollows feel similar to classics?
Thinking about getting hollows and putting them on AF1 low baseplates for the lightest ace possible.
This is exactly what I do, and I love them. I also use the Acer titanium axle and kingpin nuts to really get the madness flowing on the weight

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1028
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #6714 on: November 06, 2023, 04:44:58 PM »
I dont know if this had happen to anyone else but my bottom bushing on my af1 is about 1mm shorter than the other one. I dont know if this is a defect and will it effect my turning. Any guesses?

Is that from new or are they well used / older trucks and bushings now?

My back truck bottom bushing definitely compresses way more than the front bottom bushing, to the point where if I swap them over I can feel the difference, but it is good to do that to make them last longer, or get more even wear out of them.

If it is from new, then I guess the question of Ace quality control is still there, as it was when a lot of people were having fun with warranty and other things.

Any which way, try swapping them over so the front is now the back or see if it makes any difference to skate them either way.

It only took a session or two for mine to feel normal again after swapping them over, but I usually set up trucks and then don't touch them again, for the most part.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Fartknocker415

• Rep: -45
« Reply #6715 on: November 06, 2023, 07:34:00 PM »
I think I’m going to get fresh bushings for a second time for the af1 44s. When the bushings are super broken in they feel so soft and get too squirrely for me. I need to order dem hard bushings.

Lou Strux

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2202
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
« Reply #6716 on: November 06, 2023, 10:52:17 PM »
I think I’m going to get fresh bushings for a second time for the af1 44s. When the bushings are *super broken in they feel so soft and get too squirrely for me. I need to order dem hard bushings.
I mean… This may be a little TOO on the nose given my account name, but *THAT’s when they finally start feeling right in my estimation, but to own their each, as thems said.

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

Fartknocker415

• Rep: -45
« Reply #6717 on: November 09, 2023, 06:50:00 PM »
Expand Quote
I think I’m going to get fresh bushings for a second time for the af1 44s. When the bushings are *super broken in they feel so soft and get too squirrely for me. I need to order dem hard bushings.
[close]
I mean… This may be a little TOO on the nose given my account name, but *THAT’s when they finally start feeling right in my estimation, but to own their each, as thems said.

I kno I feel like a lame idk if I’m meant to be on Ace trucks tho. I like them when they’re more stable and less turnt squirrels I think I should try thunders but can’t afford to buy a set rn.

FGO925

• Rep: 20
« Reply #6718 on: November 11, 2023, 11:54:28 AM »
Are the classic 44’s sold out everywhere? Cant seem to find them.

Even in Ace’s website they’re sold out. Called a few shops and no one has them anymore

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6719 on: November 11, 2023, 12:26:00 PM »
Plenty out there. SoCal has some.