Author Topic: DIY boards/graphics  (Read 147528 times)

Hinna

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 74
Re: DIY boards/graphics
« Reply #810 on: June 26, 2021, 08:33:32 PM »
dude plz remake the zodiac board from the earlier pages because your stuff has improved drastically since then. top notch work man. some of the best shit ive seen all year and im not even an art piece on my board kinda guy

El Chupacabra

• Rep: 147
    • Brujaria Skateboards avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #811 on: June 26, 2021, 10:36:45 PM »
Thank you! I did an actual run of the Zodiacs (and DB Cooper too, I swear it’s not jus killers) on bbs. Handful still available on my page in scattered sizes (http://www.Brujariaskateboards.com)

I made some castings from the prints. Been working day job like mad lately so not much time for skate stuff.

These are just extra urethanes I had on hand. I’m still tinkering with the formulas to dial it in.

Hinna

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 74
« Reply #812 on: June 27, 2021, 08:23:16 AM »
cool i looked around. digging the world tree logo. might get one in 8.5

El Chupacabra

« Reply #813 on: June 29, 2021, 08:47:33 PM »
I am by no means a screen print expert.

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 285
« Reply #814 on: July 04, 2021, 06:17:38 PM »
OK, not an average DIY, but i cut down another old Powell Flight deck and made my daughter a board for her birthday.
She said she wanted a ‘rainbow’ skateboard, but the closest thing to rainbow grip i could find at my local shop was some horrendous tie-die with a huge Grizzly logo. I tried to deconstruct it best i could.

As for the graphics, a homage to cheesy 80’s graphics; colors and shapes from every bad advertising design i could remember, font al la Santa Cruz, and Ankylosaurus skull (her favorite dinosaur) as a homage to VCJ’s Hawk.

Shape loosely inspired by Old Santa Cruzes and a Jesse Martinez i have on my wall. 8 x 25, 11.4 WB

Trucks are original Indy 101’s salvaged from a Kevin Harris freestyle deck from the 80s. They turned like shit, intel some people have me advice about how freestylers had their bushings inverted. Tossed in some Bones mediums, and they TURN.

Wheels are Satori P-Town, and generic bearings. Hope she likes it when i give it to her tonight. And if she doesn't, this will be my new shopping cruiser.

I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

El Chupacabra

« Reply #815 on: July 04, 2021, 09:46:09 PM »
Sick

Good dad right there!

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 608
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #816 on: July 05, 2021, 12:05:34 PM »
OK, not an average DIY, but i cut down another old Powell Flight deck and made my daughter a board for her birthday.
She said she wanted a ‘rainbow’ skateboard, but the closest thing to rainbow grip i could find at my local shop was some horrendous tie-die with a huge Grizzly logo. I tried to deconstruct it best i could.

As for the graphics, a homage to cheesy 80’s graphics; colors and shapes from every bad advertising design i could remember, font al la Santa Cruz, and Ankylosaurus skull (her favorite dinosaur) as a homage to VCJ’s Hawk.

Shape loosely inspired by Old Santa Cruzes and a Jesse Martinez i have on my wall. 8 x 25, 11.4 WB

Trucks are original Indy 101’s salvaged from a Kevin Harris freestyle deck from the 80s. They turned like shit, intel some people have me advice about how freestylers had their bushings inverted. Tossed in some Bones mediums, and they TURN.

Wheels are Satori P-Town, and generic bearings. Hope she likes it when i give it to her tonight. And if she doesn't, this will be my new shopping cruiser.

The graphic looks so rad man. I love dinosaurs. Awesome you did that for your little one.
IG: @flowterspace

iw0

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 503
« Reply #817 on: July 05, 2021, 05:04:43 PM »

this is so great. i'm a huge fan of 80s patterns with triangles/random shapes and this is a stellar execution of that

yourbreakfsat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 762
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #818 on: July 11, 2021, 11:12:41 AM »
Finally got these finished.

Very tempted to set up the middle one, but I don't need a new deck yet.

beandemon

• Rep: 181
« Reply #819 on: July 11, 2021, 11:56:46 AM »
@iw0 Nice.  So much better than a lot of the neo 80s stuff out.

@yourbreakfsat  What are the numbers on that blue one?

DeepSpace9mm

• Rep: 100
« Reply #820 on: July 11, 2021, 09:21:14 PM »

Those are sick!

yourbreakfsat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 762
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #821 on: July 17, 2021, 08:38:56 PM »
@iw0 Nice.  So much better than a lot of the neo 80s stuff out.

@yourbreakfsat  What are the numbers on that blue one?

8.75" x 31.5" with 14" wb

This was a custom order, but I still have the template that I plan to continue using.

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #822 on: July 18, 2021, 01:18:35 AM »

These are really nice! 👍 I especially love the first one. Great graphic and shape. So much better than what’s available commercially.

Lou Strux

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2190
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
« Reply #823 on: July 21, 2021, 07:21:23 PM »

This is some Top-Shelf “dadding” right here.
Very nicely done.

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

lemonchicken91

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 242
« Reply #824 on: August 17, 2021, 10:45:51 AM »
pardon my dumb question, I couldn't find it in a search

What is the best place to get good quality blanks to paint?
I want them to be stateable and not birch or some crap. Doesn't have to be USA made but it is preferred.

I don't want to order a large amount. Less than 12.
no, i live in an efficiency by myself and work in middle management like you, loser

Hyliannightmare

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -198
« Reply #825 on: August 17, 2021, 04:03:37 PM »
pardon my dumb question, I couldn't find it in a search

What is the best place to get good quality blanks to paint?
I want them to be stateable and not birch or some crap. Doesn't have to be USA made but it is preferred.

I don't want to order a large amount. Less than 12.

Blankdecks.com

lemonchicken91

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 242
« Reply #826 on: August 17, 2021, 04:52:48 PM »
Appreciate it!
no, i live in an efficiency by myself and work in middle management like you, loser

El Chupacabra

« Reply #827 on: August 21, 2021, 08:35:08 AM »
Found this, might be of interest to the DIY homies. I know a little about metal casting, but I make jewelry with investment, wouldnt work on this scale but I do wanna mess around with sand casting.

braksabbath

• Rep: 192
« Reply #828 on: February 18, 2022, 02:07:22 PM »
Bump

Trying to figure out how to make this work as a top graphic. Wheatpaste or glue it and clear coat over it? Or recreate it with paint pens and clear coat? I think it needs to be brush on lacquer cuz the spray can make things bleed and peel paint. It’s kinda big so I could just do spray adhesive and clear  grip tape over it

MysticalTypeExperience

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 128
« Reply #829 on: February 18, 2022, 02:13:01 PM »
Thank you! I did an actual run of the Zodiacs (and DB Cooper too, I swear it’s not jus killers) on bbs. Handful still available on my page in scattered sizes (http://www.Brujariaskateboards.com)

I made some castings from the prints. Been working day job like mad lately so not much time for skate stuff.

These are just extra urethanes I had on hand. I’m still tinkering with the formulas to dial it in.

Those are sick, I'd buy that. Are you gonna re-run the world tree decks? I'd love one of those too, ideally in a wider size like 8.75 or 9"
« Last Edit: February 18, 2022, 05:24:40 PM by MysticalTypeExperience »

WorkinHardHardware

• Rep: 12
    • Workin' Hard Hardware Etsy Shop avatar image
« Reply #830 on: February 18, 2022, 03:19:42 PM »
Got a bunch of my boards on sale at https://www.etsy.com/shop/workinhardhardware, or check out my insta @workinhardhardware, all boards hand glued and pressed in Tempe, AZ 

iw0

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 503
« Reply #831 on: February 18, 2022, 04:30:26 PM »
Bump

Trying to figure out how to make this work as a top graphic. Wheatpaste or glue it and clear coat over it? Or recreate it with paint pens and clear coat? I think it needs to be brush on lacquer cuz the spray can make things bleed and peel paint. It’s kinda big so I could just do spray adhesive and clear  grip tape over it

lol this rules. short term, i'm with you and spray adhesive/clear grip it. but maybe long term....stencil???

HyenaChaser

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 226
« Reply #832 on: February 19, 2022, 02:27:14 AM »
Expand Quote
Bump

[close]

lol this rules. short term, i'm with you and spray adhesive/clear grip it. but maybe long term....stencil???

Spray adhesive and paper don’t work well on boards in my experience. Mod podge would be the way to go in my mind. Super easy to use and the paper will be hardened and sealed flush with the board
You know I thought these forums were a for skating not discussing fetishes

braksabbath

• Rep: 192
« Reply #833 on: February 20, 2022, 10:18:02 AM »

get it straight, ride Shrimple. Plan B was the Recktango (olé!). Went with a low odor Krylon spray adhesive that was great for paper. No bleeding like the other stuff. Clear mob over it.

lilboosie

« Reply #834 on: May 26, 2022, 12:43:03 PM »
figured id post this here and not make a new thread

this is the second time i made custom truck graphics or whatever. first time was for myself and this time for my homie. he wanted trucks to match his winkowski deck. i did the best i could to match the colors with what i had. it was fun. 2 different paint methods. 3 colors. i had fun with this!!

Solex

• Rep: 29
« Reply #835 on: May 27, 2022, 12:51:38 AM »
Very nice !

lilboosie

« Reply #836 on: May 27, 2022, 10:11:18 AM »
Very nice !

thanks!! im hoping to grind my aces down quick so i can have a new project!

Paco Supreme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 530
  • One Trick Pony
« Reply #837 on: October 11, 2022, 01:16:26 AM »
What’s the consensus on painting over graphics?

Got an Enjoi with a terrible graphic, I can’t really be fucked sanding the whole bitch down, I was just gonna rough it up with a sanding block and go over with a couple coats of 2X

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 285
« Reply #838 on: October 11, 2022, 03:40:01 AM »
What’s the consensus on painting over graphics?

Got an Enjoi with a terrible graphic, I can’t really be fucked sanding the whole bitch down, I was just gonna rough it up with a sanding block and go over with a couple coats of 2X

I have no idea what the consensus is, but I’ve sanded off and over painted the terrible graphics on my SCRAM deck. Beautiful shape, terrible graphics.

I’ll put up a pic when I’m done painting it.
I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

saltusnaut

• Rep: 36
« Reply #839 on: October 11, 2022, 05:45:27 AM »
Here's one I'm working on right now