Author Topic: DIY boards/graphics  (Read 147874 times)

chillout

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 9
  • beer
Re: DIY boards/graphics
« Reply #180 on: February 20, 2012, 03:05:13 PM »

Latest Rug Roller made for sir Karl Watson. Pretty happy with the way it turned out. It's got wheel wells, and the red and purple are mixed with just a hint of bronze/gold paint, to give it a little illuminated effect. Only thing left to do is pick a pattern or something for the carpet gripping.

this is so sick!

friendly dave

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 738
  • grinding to a halt
    • grindingtoahalt avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #181 on: February 20, 2012, 03:48:13 PM »
Did Karl send you a blank Kayo laminent that you cut down for that carpet cruiser, or is that one of your own?
Because you can't kill and idea, and we will not be ruled!

the visuals are also mad visual yo
FTW

idealhandmades

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 132
    • IDEAL Handmades - Skateboards avatar image
« Reply #182 on: February 20, 2012, 03:57:28 PM »
Did Karl send you a blank Kayo laminent that you cut down for that carpet cruiser, or is that one of your own?

One of my own. I get my boards from the dude that owns the shop out here in Las Vegas, Let It Roll/ and then if I'm making a cruiser or mini shape, cut it out and shape it with my trusty jigsaw and electric sander.

its the same wood as they use for their shop boards, but he refuses to tell anyone what company that is.
He's told us all that it's pretty awesome that we've been given the opportunity to get our boards pressed from them, because they don't normally do it for shops, and that the specific shape is from a certain pro model that we'd all be psyched on.
I was pretty sure for a while that it was Crailtap, but everytime I've brought that up, he's shaken his head "no"

At this point, its kind of a fun guessing game to play when you're just lurking up the place.
@idealhandmades

chillout

• SLAP Pal
  • beer
« Reply #183 on: February 20, 2012, 04:39:21 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

One of my own. I get my boards from the dude that owns the shop out here in Las Vegas, Let It Roll/ and then if I'm making a cruiser or mini shape, cut it out and shape it with my trusty jigsaw and electric sander.

its the same wood as they use for their shop boards, but he refuses to tell anyone what company that is.
He's told us all that it's pretty awesome that we've been given the opportunity to get our boards pressed from them, because they don't normally do it for shops, and that the specific shape is from a certain pro model that we'd all be psyched on.
I was pretty sure for a while that it was Crailtap, but everytime I've brought that up, he's shaken his head "no"

At this point, its kind of a fun guessing game to play when you're just lurking up the place.

it would be such a fun game to have like 20 blanks and try to guess who made them

idealhandmades

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #184 on: February 20, 2012, 09:38:12 PM »
and an expensive one at that.
but I've skated the boards a bunch, and I don't mind not knowing, cause it doesn't matter. they're quality and that's all I really care about when it comes down to it.
@idealhandmades

MrMello

• Rep: 8
« Reply #185 on: February 26, 2012, 12:26:24 AM »
How hard is it to make those wheel wells? Ive been getting a hell a lot of wheel bite on my cruiser.

idealhandmades

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #186 on: February 26, 2012, 02:02:42 AM »
pretty easy with a dremel and the right bits for the job (as well as a pair of safety goggles).
don't be afraid of risers though. they do wonders for your clearance.
@idealhandmades

idealhandmades

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #187 on: March 03, 2012, 09:36:53 PM »
Ok time for some updates.
Here the board I worked on for the past couple of days for the Map Masquerade thing

It was originally one of the boards I found (a Traffic that was 7.5 wide)
I got some boaring bits for my drill to set those rhnestones into the wood itself, so they won't just be glued on top and will hopefully stay on at least a little longer than they would have otherwise. heres a little detail shot:

I also did this carpetgrip job on that old Goat cruiser that I posted in here a while ago

and heres a couple of pieces that are still works in progress for the art show that I'm having at the shop for when my board design for them is released. and the first one actually involved said design:

Up top is the image I submitted for the graphic (the white in it is actually going to be transparent so the woodgrain shows through)
and the lower is a handmade version of the exact same graphic that I'm working on, so that I'll be able to display them together. Should be interesting.

and this piece I hastily photoshopped in the photo that its going to be hung alongside:

The photo is one I took with my phone a while back after putting these orange stickers over the flash. I'm going to print it and put it in that frame, and the board is going to have 2 really long pieces of hardware sticking out from the top two holes that will then be hanging a transparent sheet of red/orange plastic with fishingline infront of the piece. So just like the shopboard graphic piece, this'll be a comparison of sorts between mediums and technology.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2012, 12:07:56 AM by sweatercuff »
@idealhandmades

idealhandmades

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #188 on: March 04, 2012, 01:22:50 PM »
I am super psyched on what you do, man.  I have a shit load of time off coming up and might work on one.  Have you ever messed around with astroturf?  It seems like it might be super melty.

Thanks for the compliments HATE! I guess in a weird way, I'm super psyched on what YOU do too (although not for long, congrats on gettin out), man.
I have thought about trying turf in the past, but my concern is that it might not actually be grippy enough because of the plastic-y kind of film that seems to always be on the surface of the "blades"
but if you want, I'll make an astroturf board along with you. we can learn together. plus I've been meaning to have an excuse to take that girl from the funny myspace/facebook picture page and put her on a board.
and if it turns out it works, maybe we can sell the idea to Mike York.
@idealhandmades

Cadillac Ranch Dressing

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 476
« Reply #189 on: March 04, 2012, 01:31:10 PM »
Amazing work as always Sweatercuff!

I was wondering where you get your blanks from to work on? I have a digital alternatives photography class and our next project involves transferring digital prints on to surfaces like work so naturally I wanted to do a skateboard. Just curious on boards that you've enjoyed working with for a decent price.
"I got a fever and the only prescription is more Cadillac Ranch Dressing." - Jereme Rogers

idealhandmades

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #190 on: March 04, 2012, 03:02:14 PM »
Amazing work as always Sweatercuff!

I was wondering where you get your blanks from to work on? I have a digital alternatives photography class and our next project involves transferring digital prints on to surfaces like work so naturally I wanted to do a skateboard. Just curious on boards that you've enjoyed working with for a decent price.

thanks!
I think I might have said this before, but I get my blanks from the dude that owns the shop out here, and he refuses to tell me where he gets them from. In the past, I've used a couple of different companies here and there, but for the most part, I used to use used boards (say that 5 times fast). I'd bust out the ol' electric powered sander, a sheet of 100 grit to start, finish up with a 180 or higher to smooth it back out, and then go to town.
Regardless of weather you get a brand new blank from a company, or use an old deck, I HIGHLY recommend sanding the entire surface thoroughly. Theres always this protective coating of clear fixative on boards, and if you don't get that off before working, you'll find the material much less accepting of paint, pencils, and a variety of other mediums (photo transfers included). and when you're done with your graphic, I recommend going back over your work with a fixative (glossy or matte depending on the look you want) for the same protective properties you took it off for in the first place.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2012, 04:12:03 PM by sweatercuff »
@idealhandmades

Cadillac Ranch Dressing

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #191 on: March 04, 2012, 03:11:42 PM »
Thanks, I appreciate the advice dude. It didn't even cross my mind to use an old deck and sanding it. I'll have to give it a go!

I'll post it up if/when I finish it!
"I got a fever and the only prescription is more Cadillac Ranch Dressing." - Jereme Rogers

brianwilson

• Rep: -35
    • Flickr avatar image
« Reply #192 on: March 05, 2012, 12:53:42 PM »
Made this myself.

idealhandmades

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #193 on: March 05, 2012, 01:14:05 PM »
Made this myself.

dude! nice! what materials?
@idealhandmades

Spike Hawke

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 30
« Reply #194 on: March 05, 2012, 03:16:41 PM »
Yo Sweatercuff. Do you have flickr or website with the boards you've done?

idealhandmades

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #195 on: March 05, 2012, 04:24:54 PM »
Yo Sweatercuff. Do you have flickr or website with the boards you've done?

ha ha, I feel like I'm being interviewed with all these questions as of late. This is a thread for homemade graphics and boards, not one for me to rule over with my dick out. (I seriously don't mind the questions and stuff, but still....my posts make up 95% of everything in here. Not what I had in mind when I created it. Get to work people.)

Sadly(?) no, I don't. all of the ones I have pictures of are in the backlogs of this thread though.
I've been making this kinda stuff for a long time now, but only just recently (maybe starting in '08?) started making sure to document them.
All of the older ones were skated, given away, or sold without a class photo being taken.
@idealhandmades

codithou

• Rep: 41
« Reply #196 on: March 05, 2012, 11:36:45 PM »
I also did this carpetgrip job on that old Goat cruiser that I posted in here a while ago

I'd also like to point out that pink blanket was handmade. Hehe.

burm

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 134
« Reply #197 on: March 06, 2012, 03:50:46 AM »
I've been feeling super uninspired lately, like I've lost all contact with my creativity, and I've been looking for some project to bring me back. Now I'm starting to get a little tingle reading this thread.

Thinking of ideas for a graphic, I suddenly remembered this picture I took with my friend where we're sitting, beers at hand, on this little quarter we built out of an old bedframe in the basement of his former apartment building one winter night. It was a pretty iconic moment, and even though he has since given up skating, I think it might make a cool little housewarming present. Or completely lame and awkward, as my great gift ideas usually turn out...
take what small comfort there may be left
seize what you love and damn all the rest

brianwilson

• Rep: -35
    • Flickr avatar image
« Reply #198 on: March 06, 2012, 10:01:02 AM »
Expand Quote
Made this myself.
[close]

dude! nice! what materials?

Little bottles of test pot paint from anywhere you can get paint. Perfect amount, any color, cheap.

Cadillac Ranch Dressing

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #199 on: April 04, 2012, 07:35:15 PM »
Finally got around to finishing the photo transfers to the board. It didn't turn out as great as I was hoping (the edges of the transfers are kinda bleh, but the whole process is give or take. Here are some pics:

idealhandmades

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #200 on: April 05, 2012, 01:06:00 AM »
looks like it turned out pretty good to me. especially for a first try.
can't wait to see what you can come up with now that you have another technique in your arsenal.
the possibilities are astounding.
Photoshop is a real life construct people! this is what graphic design was before Apple and Adobe came around! projectors, exactoknives, , rulers, tape, multiple mediums, and elbow grease!
« Last Edit: August 06, 2012, 11:49:12 AM by sweatercuff »
@idealhandmades

Cosme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 507
« Reply #201 on: April 05, 2012, 02:17:29 AM »

looks like it turned out pretty good to me.

Yeah, I also think that it turned great.
Maybe it's slightly different from what you expected or had in your mind but I think it's pretty, pretty good.
Congrats!
« Last Edit: April 05, 2012, 02:24:00 AM by Cosme »

Cadillac Ranch Dressing

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #202 on: April 05, 2012, 08:13:39 AM »
Thanks guys! I actually had a lot of fun doing it so I think I wanna keep it up and make a few more.

gnarwhale

« Reply #203 on: April 08, 2012, 11:57:35 AM »
Gnarwhales are the greatest

chillout

• SLAP Pal
  • beer
« Reply #204 on: April 08, 2012, 05:12:16 PM »

diy shoes aswell  ;)

gnarwhale

« Reply #205 on: April 08, 2012, 05:46:34 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

diy shoes aswell  ;)
haha those actually arnt my feet, my friend took a photo and put it on facebook when i made it, i just used that one because i was to lazy to take another picture, he taped his shoes because he skates allot of vert, and when he first got them he knee sid once and the laces broke so he  coverd them with ducktape

Double Pegasus

• Rep: 6
« Reply #206 on: April 08, 2012, 06:49:46 PM »
Don't know how much DIY this involved, but my friend and I shaped two old boards into "cruisers" today.
Quite happy with the result considering that the last time I did anything remotely close to woodworking was in third grade.

http://imgur.com/a/VKA11 (Sorry for the phone pics)

Simon Sandleshit

• Rep: -1
« Reply #207 on: April 08, 2012, 08:27:22 PM »
What'd you use to do the photo transfer? The name of it is on the tip of my tongue.

Cadillac Ranch Dressing

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #208 on: April 08, 2012, 08:59:10 PM »
What'd you use to do the photo transfer? The name of it is on the tip of my tongue.
I used DASS Supersauce after a pre-coat of a concentrate, which name escapes me right now.

Cosme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 507
« Reply #209 on: April 09, 2012, 04:48:44 AM »

Don't know how much DIY this involved, but my friend and I shaped two old boards into "cruisers" today.
Quite happy with the result considering that the last time I did anything remotely close to woodworking was in third grade.

http://imgur.com/a/VKA11 (Sorry for the phone pics)

Wow... What kind of workshop is that? Do you have steady access to those tools?