Author Topic: DIY boards/graphics  (Read 147877 times)

tangar

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 64
  • THINK LESS
Re: DIY boards/graphics
« Reply #360 on: April 12, 2013, 09:34:38 PM »
seeing the detail on my computer (as opposed to instagram on my metro) and learning that you did woodburning too, makes this skart so much radder! i would be honored to shred one of your boards THEN hang it on my wall. if not one from this series, hopefully one in the near future. keep it up homie!
Man the long board truck thing killed indy for me. I was willing to set aside the racism, but long boarding, gtfo... - DH

idealhandmades

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 132
    • IDEAL Handmades - Skateboards avatar image
« Reply #361 on: April 14, 2013, 11:34:17 AM »
It has begun. I've finally set up a paypal business account
and when I finally settle on a name, I'll have a website/store front.
In the meantime, if anyone wants to buy one of the boards from The Art of Swimming series, e-mail me
[email protected]
They are $60 with shipping included (no grip), and this series was all the same 8x32 size. As for shape, again, its Generator maple, so they should skate like a Magenta.
@idealhandmades

Camp Grunge

• Rep: -7
« Reply #362 on: April 14, 2013, 08:44:07 PM »

I found this book titled The Art of Swimming from the 1600's that had these awesome etch prints, so I wanted to recreate them in an 8 board series.

Each woodburning took about 2 1/2 hours

The best part about these kinds of graphics, is that they don't chip away when you skate them. they smeer and fade and still slide just as good as a normal production line graphic because im very careful with how much medium I apply and knowing it's properties and what to use as a finish coat.

They will be available for sale soon.

incredible

idealhandmades

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #363 on: April 20, 2013, 11:13:58 PM »
Made this carpet cruiser for my housemate out of an old board

and then made this boat piece which has already been sold

The company name, is Ideal.
Handmade skate-able graphics.
Wall ready, but street hungry.

Webstore coming soon.
@idealhandmades

foureyedjim

« Reply #364 on: April 20, 2013, 11:51:25 PM »
Any plans on selling some unique shapes and/or carpet boards?

idealhandmades

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #365 on: April 21, 2013, 02:25:26 AM »
Any plans on selling some unique shapes and/or carpet boards?
possibly
@idealhandmades

ZEBRA

« Reply #366 on: April 21, 2013, 12:13:33 PM »
Made this carpet cruiser for my housemate out of an old board

and then made this boat piece which has already been sold

The company name, is Ideal.
Handmade skate-able graphics.
Wall ready, but street hungry.

Webstore coming soon.

Damn, sweatercuff!!! Killing it!!!

Is your house mate a baker or something?? I'm curious about the graphic...

idealhandmades

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #367 on: April 21, 2013, 12:34:24 PM »
thanks for the compliments Zebra
Not a baker by trade, but she's made a cupcake or two.
@idealhandmades

InternetDaddy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 42
  • sup breh
« Reply #368 on: April 21, 2013, 02:08:20 PM »
I love all of your stuff sweatercuff! I'll definitely pick up a board once you make an 8.5, or if there's a carpet cruiser up for grabs. Keep up the great work!
Look I'm not selling anything that doesn't have my jizz on it. I don't care how much is offered.

idealhandmades

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #369 on: April 22, 2013, 12:31:41 AM »
I love all of your stuff sweatercuff! I'll definitely pick up a board once you make an 8.5, or if there's a carpet cruiser up for grabs. Keep up the great work!

I've got some 8.25's in the works, if you're up for slimming down a smidge.
@idealhandmades

ZEBRA

« Reply #370 on: April 22, 2013, 09:56:26 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I've got some 8.25's in the works, if you're up for slimming down a smidge.

8.25 is perfect for me. Haha. Sweet!!!

idealhandmades

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #371 on: April 23, 2013, 08:09:24 PM »
finished up this new woodburned piece

Ideal - Wisemen and Monkey
8.25 x 32.25
$60 shipped no grip.
@idealhandmades

jerrys_kids

« Reply #372 on: April 23, 2013, 08:18:20 PM »

8.25 x 32.25
$60 shipped no grip.

That is so sick!! I wish I had the money for that

flapJack

• Rep: 30
  • if you want our remorse,turn your body to a corpse
« Reply #373 on: April 23, 2013, 08:55:08 PM »
Expand Quote

8.25 x 32.25
$60 shipped no grip.
[close]

A+ work my friend. this is one of your best imo

DeputyDoses

• Rep: 4
  • I look like Mel Gibson
« Reply #374 on: April 23, 2013, 10:17:30 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

8.25 x 32.25
$60 shipped no grip.
[close]

[close]

A+ work my friend. this is one of your best imo
So sick! The detail is incredible.
Please make some more 8.25s.

tangar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 64
  • THINK LESS
« Reply #375 on: April 24, 2013, 12:13:58 AM »
this one was literally months and months in the making, i have a baby and she is my first priority so projects like this only get worked on once in a while. but still, i cant wait for the next one. its an old alien workshop board i cut down, its pretty small. i still need to get risers and/or maybe some old venture highs i got. instead of these thunder lows. powell wheels i rit-dyed (i used the kelly green color but maybe because they were sort of old and a little yellowed they came out blue?) autobahn bearings i won on fb, shake junt bolts cause its baseball season batch. i saw someone in this thread do a half and half spray paint job and loved how it looked so i copied it and added some stencil action on the nose and middle and used Oakland A's colors.

Man the long board truck thing killed indy for me. I was willing to set aside the racism, but long boarding, gtfo... - DH

ZEBRA

« Reply #376 on: April 24, 2013, 08:56:02 PM »

8.25 x 32.25
$60 shipped no grip.

You should print boards with that graphic on it. I would buy it multiple times, as long as it skates good.

idealhandmades

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #377 on: April 24, 2013, 11:18:49 PM »
Expand Quote

8.25 x 32.25
$60 shipped no grip.
[close]

You should print boards with that graphic on it. I would buy it multiple times, as long as it skates good.

You don't get it.
you could pay $60 for this one and skate it (in fact I suggest/insist you do), but I'm not going to make another one, thats the whole schtick. Every graphic I make with Ideal is going to be unique and 1/1, and also skateable. $60 is barely more than you'd pay for just a regular ol' company board from some mail order site. When you order a board with me, you can be assured that the artwork will be unique to that board, 100% skateable finish, and without logos (because putting a logo on my work feels like putting a watermark on a photograph. douchey.). All my boards AGAIN are from Generator woodshop. I didnt seek them out because of how good their boards look on a wall, I went with them because they make the best boards I've ever skated (Magenta).
@idealhandmades

ZEBRA

« Reply #378 on: April 25, 2013, 03:54:01 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

8.25 x 32.25
$60 shipped no grip.
[close]

[close]

You don't get it.
you could pay $60 for this one and skate it (in fact I suggest/insist you do), but I'm not going to make another one, thats the whole schtick. Every graphic I make with Ideal is going to be unique and 1/1, and also skateable. $60 is barely more than you'd pay for just a regular ol' company board from some mail order site. When you order a board with me, you can be assured that the artwork will be unique to that board, 100% skateable finish, and without logos (because putting a logo on my work feels like putting a watermark on a photograph. douchey.). All my boards AGAIN are from Generator woodshop. I didnt seek them out because of how good their boards look on a wall, I went with them because they make the best boards I've ever skated (Magenta).

I hear you. And I know it's skateable. I'm just saying, you could make some money if you printed this. I see what you're doing with the 1/1 thing. I got you.

I would find it hard to skate art. I would have to hang it on my wall. That's just me though. That's why I said you should print boards with this graphic. I have no problem skating something that isn't one of a kind.

idealhandmades

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #379 on: April 25, 2013, 07:26:51 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

8.25 x 32.25
$60 shipped no grip.
[close]

[close]

You don't get it.
[close]

I hear you. And I know it's skateable. I'm just saying, you could make some money if you printed this. I see what you're doing with the 1/1 thing. I got you.

I would find it hard to skate art. I would have to hang it on my wall. That's just me though. That's why I said you should print boards with this graphic. I have no problem skating something that isn't one of a kind.

Printing it would immediately make it less special, less of an art object and just another copy. and while I'd love for this venture to be a money making cash machine, I'm not willing to compromise what makes what I'm doing different and special from whats already out there.
If I just printed off a bunch of boards with the same graphic, then what the fuck makes my boards any different than another, larger brands product? My work stands above what other brands offer partially because of the exclusivity.

You shouldn't be afraid to skate it just because its one of a kind. I wouldn't even bother using deck's as a canvas if I didnt want people to use them (I don't really think of my boards as finished ART anyways, but more as doodles in a sketchbook that I'm willing to have the pages fall out of. After I finish a deck and take some photos of it, I'm done with it and ready to cast it out to the streets and give it a full life), and its kind of a nice feeling to treat and think of your board as something more special than just another maple copy spit out by a machine.

that being said, I am working on a graphic to be printed (possibly up to 100 decks) thats basically just a frame, and each board with that print will then get the frame filled in with original art work, so they'll all kinda look similar or from the same series, but each one will still be unique as well.
@idealhandmades

wallieD

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -191
« Reply #380 on: April 25, 2013, 07:57:33 PM »
^deck-rails yall

king_in_the_north

• Rep: 27
  • I'm not liquid john
« Reply #381 on: April 25, 2013, 08:03:55 PM »
My loose change fund now has a purpose, a sweatercuff piece
also if you read my whole facebook timeline from back in 2007 then this will also prove that magic is real.

idealhandmades

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #382 on: April 25, 2013, 11:09:30 PM »
oh yeah, and I changed my instagram name from sweatercuff to @Idealhandmades if you wanna see my stuff in progress and a few days before i usually get around to posting it on here.
@idealhandmades

ZEBRA

« Reply #383 on: April 26, 2013, 08:54:35 AM »
oh yeah, and I changed my instagram name from sweatercuff to @Idealhandmades if you wanna see my stuff in progress and a few days before i usually get around to posting it on here.

Followed. That printed frames on the boards idea is awesome.

idealhandmades

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #384 on: April 27, 2013, 02:04:54 PM »
New ish for Ideal

Whaler Cruiser 7.65 x 29.25
$60 Shipped no grip
$70 Shipped w/carpet grip applied for a comfy, fun, canvas-shoe-safe cruiser grip alternative

Lady Killer Killer Lady 8.25 x 32.25
$60 shipped no grip

Down the (Cross) Hatch 8.25 x 32.25
$60 shipped no grip

Interested in purchasing an Ideal deck? e-mail me at [email protected]
@idealhandmades

johnes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -238
« Reply #385 on: April 27, 2013, 05:27:41 PM »
I’m a fat Siamese cat.

ZEBRA

« Reply #386 on: April 27, 2013, 08:13:02 PM »

I bet that board slides like a dream. Haha

art hellman

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1177
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #387 on: April 28, 2013, 08:09:52 AM »
just to give all you dooods an idea of what an Ideal looks like set up ? 
« Last Edit: April 28, 2013, 08:12:04 AM by art hellman »
hardly art, hardly starving

johnes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -238
« Reply #388 on: April 30, 2013, 12:37:04 AM »
art hellman, where are you getting these boards from, and how are you going about getting them?
My friends and I have been wanting to start something small and local, but i feel like a lot of blanks out there might be shitty.
I've been looking at blankdecks.com but I'm not sure how they hold up, I contacted ps stix and boards need to be ordered
at least 100 at a time.
I’m a fat Siamese cat.

jerrys_kids

« Reply #389 on: April 30, 2013, 08:40:26 AM »
art hellman, where are you getting these boards from, and how are you going about getting them?
My friends and I have been wanting to start something small and local, but i feel like a lot of blanks out there might be shitty.
I've been looking at blankdecks.com but I'm not sure how they hold up, I contacted ps stix and boards need to be ordered
at least 100 at a time.

I second this, me and a couple of dudes have been thinking about doing something lately but again the question is where to get quality stuff.