Author Topic: Official One In A Million 2010 Thread  (Read 278335 times)

Giovanni Falcone

Re: Official One In A Million 2010 Thread
« Reply #2400 on: January 20, 2011, 09:54:28 PM »
I could see Forrest on Osiris.

oyolar

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 383
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #2401 on: January 20, 2011, 11:18:39 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
john is rad and all but theres so much emphasis on the fucking hill bomb and his staples. get over it, having staples in ur head doesnt make a difference, even if he took another head slam its not like he would die, hed just have to get it restitched up at worse or have a concussion or something, which can happen to any of them. its not like he has a broken arm with no cast and is just being reckless, the level of danger going from no staples to staples in ur head with no head fracture/concussion is nothing that deserves that much recognition.

this Ronald Wilson Reagan guy always brings up this staples/hillbomb in every post like hes some superman for skating with it. only gnarlyness about it is saying "bro i got 10 staples in my head im still skating", but if you look at it from a real perspective hes not putting himself in any more danger because of it.

[close]

Did you miss the part where his head got split open to the skull and that's how they know he didn't have a fracture?
[close]
how is that going to affect your skating? unless you're sheckler and doing backslide flips all day, there's like a one in a million chance that you're going to hit your head. Like i said before him having staples in his shin, or a broken wrist or something would make it way gnarlier, than him having staples in a place there's barely a chance it's going to get hit.

Not saying it would or wouldn't make it harder to skate. My post was a response to LemonParty making it sound like he just got a little cut on his head when it was more serious than that and actually, probably pretty lucky that John didn't get a fracture or a concussion.

Pete

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 722
  • Free Max B
« Reply #2402 on: January 20, 2011, 11:38:06 PM »
if either of these clowns win over forrest it thus proves that this contest is racist
FREE MAX B

thatskaterdude

• Rep: -4
« Reply #2403 on: January 20, 2011, 11:43:35 PM »
back 360 late flip > full cab heel

lawnguyland

« Reply #2404 on: January 20, 2011, 11:45:53 PM »
if either of these clowns win over forrest it thus proves that this contest is racist

john won.

NOTjimmyastelford

• Rep: -13
« Reply #2405 on: January 21, 2011, 01:29:32 AM »
john and rueben dont look like shit when they skate, forrest is heinous

whats up with rueben skating street better than that park
I'm going to the one in Ontario. I got invented or else I wouldn't go.

finknoos

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -170
  • Typos here there and everywhere
« Reply #2406 on: January 21, 2011, 02:38:19 AM »
i think reuben should have won it, hes got a great style, good tricks, hits prety much all the spots they went to and looks like hes having a good time and is really hyped on the whole thing.

My favourite moment from him was when forrest was saying he wanted to go to clipper all day to do a certain trick, then they went and reuben was watching and chillin then gets told he should hit up the spot and does a great trick with true steeze without hesitation. That flip5-0 was just so nice.

For me skating is more about the attitude and style then the tricks bieng done.

anyone saying forest shouldve won is crazy, sure hes got nice go to tricks down sets and gaps but his line at 3rd and army looked so nasty, hes just a hucker not an all rounder.

alittleethnicsong

« Reply #2407 on: January 21, 2011, 07:03:31 AM »
Expand Quote
there are dudes at my local park who are easily just as good if not better than john. i really don't understand the praise for him, he is not that special. fuck this shit.
[close]
uhhhhh, i think hes pretty fuckin good look at that first back smith, you think Reuben or Forrest could do that shit? granted he cant do their stuff either, its fuckin sick, ronald reagan said more about it above.

Yeah cant hate on forrest now, redeemed, im a fan

holy-fucking-over-the-top-of-the-rail-to-five-o...dude is a beast on some Grant Taylor level shit...
« Last Edit: January 21, 2011, 07:07:20 AM by alittleethnicsong »

frisco

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
« Reply #2408 on: January 21, 2011, 07:06:19 AM »
First time watching a OIAM

just watched episode 1-17 all at once, very sick

Anyone else feel Reuben will make it regardless of whether he wins/won or not? The kids only 16 and has such a gnarly style and a great attitude, seems like he would mesh well with a lot of teams

Best all around skater was John no question, seems like the contest was being based off being diverse and skating various stuff as opposed to just being specific to ledges/rails/stairs sort of thing. I dont think Forrests attitude played too big of a role to him not winning or not, he didnt skate a lot of spots, John hit everything. Forrests tricks at the double set were so sick, same with that switch back heel, and those random clips of him skating the park where they met at the beginning, nollie heel front crook and some other crazy stuff. Looked like Forrest was genuinely trying to make it up to those dudes, as someone mentioned earlier, he was taking this super competitively.

Regardless it was an awesome show, glad they got an eclectic group of dudes to skate, Mango, Reuben, Forrest etc.

skate culture sucks

• Rep: 0
« Reply #2409 on: January 21, 2011, 08:38:46 AM »
Everyone is fake as shit except for Forrest. "Bombing that hill had to be one of the funnest things I've done in my life." Yeah sick dude we get it, this contest sure is life changing. Mango isn't funny either. At least Forrest acted like himself and didn't put on a show for the camera like you could tell every other kid was doing. I think he's a fucking asshole but he's also really fucking good, way better than all those other kids. 

Donkey Lips

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 997
« Reply #2410 on: January 21, 2011, 08:48:12 AM »
Quote from: skate culture sucks  link=topic=48687.msg1361875#msg1361875 date=1295627926
Everyone is fake as shit except for Forrest. "Bombing that hill had to be one of the funnest things I've done in my life." Yeah sick dude we get it, this contest sure is life changing. Mango isn't funny either. At least Forrest acted like himself and didn't put on a show for the camera like you could tell every other kid was doing. I think he's a fucking asshole but he's also really fucking good, way better than all those other kids. 
Tipping the brim of your hat down in every photo and mean muggin' in every shot isn't "a show for the camera" eh?

ChildoftheGhetto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -1323
  • Nathaniel Turner with a burner
« Reply #2411 on: January 21, 2011, 08:51:00 AM »
black people don't smile when they're getting their picture taken.

alittleethnicsong

« Reply #2412 on: January 21, 2011, 08:54:02 AM »

Donkey Lips

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 997
« Reply #2413 on: January 21, 2011, 09:00:21 AM »
That slipped my mind. My bad.

H8R part 4

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -301
« Reply #2414 on: January 21, 2011, 09:01:26 AM »

kappin

« Reply #2415 on: January 21, 2011, 09:37:06 AM »
i don't know about rueben, but forrest could definitely do all of that, except the skatepark line, but that's only because he doesn't skate transition.

Hahahahahahaha

ice nine

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -308
« Reply #2416 on: January 21, 2011, 09:38:23 AM »
Johns front blunt in his qualifying video was easily the best thing in the contest this year. Seriously way too much emphasis on the drama, could have cut the episodes in half. Everybody sucked at pauls park
I;m sure i;m not the only dc/monster/subaru type guy here

Bruh Man

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 122
  • Upstairs, fifth floor
« Reply #2417 on: January 21, 2011, 09:45:02 AM »
I know they're just answering what they're asked, but John came off like such a sucker whenever he talked about Forrest lol.

Fongstarr.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 315
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2418 on: January 21, 2011, 10:15:50 AM »

"What you talking about Willis!"
I'll fuckin
I'll fuckin
sew your asshole closed, and keep feedin you
and feedin you, and feedin you, and feedin you!

annoyedwithskating

« Reply #2419 on: January 21, 2011, 10:18:33 AM »
ummm, the tranny shit john did wasnt very hard. tranny is easier to skate than street imo. john is good, but not as good as forrest. falling into a wall getting your head split open being the funnest thing youve ever done? he should lose just for making that bullshit statement. also, sliding eight times hardly constitutes bombing. at the end of the day this contest is good exposure for these guys, so whether they win or not, companies will decide if they want to deal with them.

alittleethnicsong

« Reply #2420 on: January 21, 2011, 10:32:43 AM »
tranny is easier to skate than street imo.

"imo" you are fatuous.

Everyone you know can do tre flips on street, nobody you know can do them on tranny, let alone over the lip on vert--that applies to the vast majority of "street" tricks.

Everyone you know can do front-boards and tail-slides on flat bars and ledges, few if anybody you know can do proper ones in a real pool.

How many people do you know who can do egg-plants on vert?

That video of John on the last page is straight big, fast, power, and gnarly tricks at gnarly spots--and dude can skate tranny, where I was impressed to see that Forrest could even axle-stall.

ChildoftheGhetto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2421 on: January 21, 2011, 10:36:17 AM »
To be considered amazing at street skating takes a lot more skill to be considered amazing at transition. people think grant taylor is amazing, and he can't do 1% of the shit tony hawk could do in 1985.

alittleethnicsong

« Reply #2422 on: January 21, 2011, 10:47:09 AM »
To be considered amazing at street skating takes a lot more skill to be considered amazing at transition. people think grant taylor is amazing, and he can't do 1% of the shit tony hawk could do in 1985.

I see your point, and the politics of being "considered amazing" is different for both street and tranny. But skaters like Grant Taylor aren't really "vert skaters," in the traditional sense--like a fully-padded Tony Hawk, in 1985 or now--and obviously, that's the last thing Taylor would want.

He's like Cardiel, Trujillo, McCrank, Hewitt, etc.--no pads, and skating whatever you bring him to.

Fongstarr.

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2423 on: January 21, 2011, 10:47:46 AM »
I think people think Grant Taylor is amazing because he is decent at both street and transition. Usually it is either one or the other but he seems to fit in that hybrid category like Taylor Bingaman and even Daewon Song .
I'll fuckin
I'll fuckin

alittleethnicsong

« Reply #2424 on: January 21, 2011, 10:52:43 AM »
I think people think Grant Taylor is amazing because he is decent at both street and transition. Usually it is either one or the other but he seems to fit in that hybrid category like Taylor Bingaman and even Daewon Song .

There is also that undeniable confluence of power, style, and speed that some people have...something about how Grant Taylor charges shit, and the way his elbows are always kind of out the way Barley's were when he charged shit.

bumptobar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -34
« Reply #2425 on: January 21, 2011, 11:15:27 AM »
Grant does amazing street tricks all the time.  He does the ATV thing better than anyone since cardiel.  Style also plays a role on why people like his transition skills, although yeah he isnt shit compared to tony hawk, hes got much better style.

ChildoftheGhetto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2426 on: January 21, 2011, 11:16:43 AM »
He doesn't do amazing street tricks. the only amazing trick he's ever done was half cab back smith. he's mediocre at street and ok at transition.

annoyedwithskating

« Reply #2427 on: January 21, 2011, 11:18:55 AM »
Expand Quote
tranny is easier to skate than street imo.
[close]

"imo" you are fatuous.

Everyone you know can do tre flips on street, nobody you know can do them on tranny, let alone over the lip on vert--that applies to the vast majority of "street" tricks.

Everyone you know can do front-boards and tail-slides on flat bars and ledges, few if anybody you know can do proper ones in a real pool.

How many people do you know who can do egg-plants on vert?

That video of John on the last page is straight big, fast, power, and gnarly tricks at gnarly spots--and dude can skate tranny, where I was impressed to see that Forrest could even axle-stall.

that was regular. you have no idea who i know. and i can do tailslides on tranny and street. tranny is easier. and who the fuck skates vert? kind of sounds like you arent very good at either.

Fongstarr.

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2428 on: January 21, 2011, 11:22:24 AM »
And isn't Grant Taylor like Dylan Reider in some aspect? Didn't he start out just skating street and rails and then got good at transition afterwords?

This was the first footage I have ever seen from the him back from the first Nike video.

I'll fuckin
I'll fuckin

ChildoftheGhetto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2429 on: January 21, 2011, 11:23:29 AM »
No dylan rieder is good.