Author Topic: Official One In A Million 2010 Thread  (Read 278322 times)

Mackattack

Re: Official One In A Million 2010 Thread
« Reply #2430 on: January 21, 2011, 11:32:52 AM »
How does 50-50ing some of the most regular rails in the fucking world make you mediocre at street? He makes hard to skate street spots his bitch. I understand that your idea of street skating is flipping your board in and out of a flat ledge salsa dance combo, but how can you deny the shit he does? Ledges and handrails aren't the only facets of street skating.
And as for his transition skating: Tony hawk is fucking amazing on VERT, yes. But if you watch the DETAILS, the way Grant Taylor carries himself and handles concrete terrain, you might realize how much repetition and natural skill it takes to be that comfortable and gnarly in that respect. Doing a padded 540 on vert is completely different than gap to frontside grinding, say... a 17 foot concrete vert wall.

ChildoftheGhetto

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -1322
  • Nathaniel Turner with a burner
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #2431 on: January 21, 2011, 11:39:07 AM »
you just said 5050ing handrails makes him good, and then said ledges and handrails aren't the only facets of street. no such thing as natural skill, skills are acquired. please, show me a 17foot vert wall.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2011, 11:43:50 AM by ChildoftheGhetto »

Garth Marenghi

« Reply #2432 on: January 21, 2011, 11:41:27 AM »
I am dumbfounded at people's perseverance when it comes to arguing with COTG.

bandini

« Reply #2433 on: January 21, 2011, 11:44:24 AM »
Hmm... what's that sense of deja-vu I'm getting? Oh yeah, it might be that this exact argument has appeared in practically every thread for the past 3 years... that must be it.

I'm sure we'll really get to the bottom of it this time, though...

Mackattack

« Reply #2434 on: January 21, 2011, 11:51:39 AM »
I could have left the handrails out of the ledges and handrails part. I was aiming more at your ledge/tech street doctrine. And some people are naturally talented* not skilled. Beethoven, Michelangelo, Ron Jeremy. These people were naturally gifted.

not 17 feet, but you get what I mean (and im not referring to the overhangs that the Vov skates) . I attribute my rash and careless response to my annoyance with your idiotic and repetitive shtick. I fell victim to a troll.

Mackattack

« Reply #2435 on: January 21, 2011, 11:57:51 AM »
Also, you answered none of my questions and nit picked to find things you could contextually twist.

You're an idiot.

kilgore.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 313
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2436 on: January 21, 2011, 12:23:23 PM »
He does the ATV thing better than anyone since cardiel. 
emanuel guzman
No holds barred, til labias say "free us"
then its straight to your kids' school, wine coolers in the Prius

VictoriousOG

« Reply #2437 on: January 21, 2011, 12:32:47 PM »
lol @ flat ledge salsa dance combo

alittleethnicsong

« Reply #2438 on: January 21, 2011, 12:37:54 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
tranny is easier to skate than street imo.
[close]

"imo" you are fatuous.

Everyone you know can do tre flips on street, nobody you know can do them on tranny, let alone over the lip on vert--that applies to the vast majority of "street" tricks.

Everyone you know can do front-boards and tail-slides on flat bars and ledges, few if anybody you know can do proper ones in a real pool.

How many people do you know who can do egg-plants on vert?

That video of John on the last page is straight big, fast, power, and gnarly tricks at gnarly spots--and dude can skate tranny, where I was impressed to see that Forrest could even axle-stall.

[close]
kind of sounds like you arent very good at either.

And what if I'm not? Does that mean that I'm less of a skater than you?

I would love to hear you stutter your way through an explanation of how something I typed in here, would give you any kind of idea of how I skate.

Pavementi

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -146
  • Fuck it
« Reply #2439 on: January 21, 2011, 12:45:21 PM »
I am dumbfounded at people's perseverance when it comes to arguing with COTG.
Seriously. It's like arguing with a wall.
Like Daewon said: if skateboarding is a ten story building, Rodney is on eleventh floor.

friendly dave

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 737
  • grinding to a halt
    • grindingtoahalt avatar image
« Reply #2440 on: January 21, 2011, 12:47:15 PM »
And isn't Grant Taylor like Dylan Reider in some aspect? Didn't he start out just skating street and rails and then got good at transition afterwords?

This was the first footage I have ever seen from the him back from the first Nike video.

The first footage I've seen of him was in Thrasher's Time Bomb video. It was in one of the montages. It looks like he's about 8 years old and is wearing full pads at some skatepark. He's got two tricks. He jumps off a railing on to his board into a roll in, and he also does a tweaked indy transfer over some bmx jump. His dad was an 80's pro right? I'd venture to guess he was going to the skatepark at a real young age, plus he's got a pool in his back yard. I bet he got good at tranny first.
Because you can't kill and idea, and we will not be ruled!

the visuals are also mad visual yo
FTW

brazillionaire

• Rep: 11
« Reply #2441 on: January 21, 2011, 12:57:34 PM »
man... i wish there was some kinda regular poster who would abstract and sum up the whole thread situation and best posts.
i get pretty lazy on reading these big threads

steven

• Rep: 7
« Reply #2442 on: January 21, 2011, 01:01:25 PM »
The real MVP of the contest this year is the video editor.  They really stepped it up this year.  People are loving the drama whether they admit it or not.  

Fuck Mountain Dew though! There are so many shots where I picture a guy standing just off-camera making sure there are some logos visible.  Shit like soda sponsors are a total embarrassment.
Hell yeah...keep skateboarding gay.

Or the jocks win.

people who work in the brains department aren't easily wowed

ChildoftheGhetto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2443 on: January 21, 2011, 01:51:57 PM »
I could have left the handrails out of the ledges and handrails part. I was aiming more at your ledge/tech street doctrine. And some people are naturally talented* not skilled. Beethoven, Michelangelo, Ron Jeremy. These people were naturally gifted.

not 17 feet, but you get what I mean (and im not referring to the overhangs that the Vov skates) . I attribute my rash and careless response to my annoyance with your idiotic and repetitive shtick. I fell victim to a troll.

Dumbass, the fact you contradicted yourself in the very same sentence makes any of your points moot. and like i said there's no such thing as a 17' vert wall outside of the mega ramp. You people disqualify your points for me. I actually never have to do anything.

NOTjimmyastelford

• Rep: -13
« Reply #2444 on: January 21, 2011, 02:39:41 PM »
bitch grant taylor would ollie over your whole little plaza of 6" high ledges
« Last Edit: January 21, 2011, 02:44:30 PM by NOTjimmyastelford »
I'm going to the one in Ontario. I got invented or else I wouldn't go.

alittleethnicsong

« Reply #2445 on: January 21, 2011, 02:44:07 PM »
black people don't smile when they're getting their picture taken.

Mackattack

« Reply #2446 on: January 21, 2011, 02:47:57 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
Dumbass, the fact you contradicted yourself in the very same sentence makes any of your points moot. and like i said there's no such thing as a 17' vert wall outside of the mega ramp. You people disqualify your points for me. I actually never have to do anything.

Suck my ass, you arrogant cunt.

ChildoftheGhetto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2447 on: January 21, 2011, 03:50:57 PM »
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA now I'm arrogant. You people are something else.

BriDen

« Reply #2448 on: January 21, 2011, 04:29:19 PM »
Whaddaya mean "you people" ...

Nate

• Rep: 11
« Reply #2449 on: January 21, 2011, 04:36:09 PM »

Chris P. Bacon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -113
  • CA All Day
« Reply #2450 on: January 21, 2011, 04:41:29 PM »
Hahaha all the people calling Reuben a dickrider just got a rude awakening. Forrest finds out he's a piece of shit and becomes the biggest dickrider ever.
youre an idiot, how and who is he "dickriding?" i think its chill that he heard everyone was bummed out on him for having a bad attitude and what not so he did something nice to try to make things chill, he wasnt dickriding anyone what so ever. reuben does dickride but thats only because hes a very thankful kid, which isnt a bad thing but, i can see how it could be annoying.

grimcity

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2214
  • computer says no
« Reply #2451 on: January 21, 2011, 04:48:38 PM »
...it doesn't go to vert (though it might as well because of how tight the transition is) but we have two identical versions of this ("The Wall") in Baton Rouge:

On the weekends, downtown BR is pretty much one huge skate plaza. Spots like this aren't the norm, but every head from south east Louisiana has eaten bricks at least once. Again, this is more of an exception to the rule, but it's one of the defining spots in BR... it's been around for ages, too- I remember hitting it over two decades ago, still fun as shit.

Belligerent Irish Cop

• Rep: -276
« Reply #2452 on: January 21, 2011, 04:49:09 PM »
People hating on Reuben should shut up already... the kid is fucking 16 years old. Chances are when you were 16 you were a complete dipshit and way the fuck more annoying than him.

kappin

« Reply #2453 on: January 21, 2011, 05:35:20 PM »
Expand Quote
Hahaha all the people calling Reuben a dickrider just got a rude awakening. Forrest finds out he's a piece of shit and becomes the biggest dickrider ever.
[close]
youre an idiot, how and who is he "dickriding?" i think its chill that he heard everyone was bummed out on him for having a bad attitude and what not so he did something nice to try to make things chill, he wasnt dickriding anyone what so ever. reuben does dickride but thats only because hes a very thankful kid, which isnt a bad thing but, i can see how it could be annoying.

Damn, you're right, bro. My bad, my bad. Can I get you some ice cream to make it up? A midnight snack, maybe?

camocan

« Reply #2454 on: January 21, 2011, 07:48:30 PM »
I think he's just a cocky 16 year old kid who needed to be put in his place. Now its all cool

But that shit wit da dog Id let him know u dont disrespect my dog like dat.

kappin

« Reply #2455 on: January 21, 2011, 09:14:48 PM »
He's 20.

camocan

« Reply #2456 on: January 21, 2011, 09:17:16 PM »
well then...

lawnguyland

« Reply #2457 on: January 21, 2011, 09:54:04 PM »
He doesn't do amazing street tricks. the only amazing trick he's ever done was half cab back smith. he's mediocre at street and ok at transition.

In all seriousness, if you honestly believe this and aren't just talking out of your ass for a reaction, than you are undoubtedly and officially regular in every sense of the word. Im not saying this to start a stupid little arguement. There is no way that someone that has eyeballs and a brain can genuinely think this and if you do then I honestly feel bad for you because you are completely pathetic at thinking.

People hating on Reuben should shut up already... the kid is fucking 16 years old. Chances are when you were 16 you were a complete dipshit and way the fuck more annoying than him.

Couldnt of said it better myself.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2011, 10:03:19 PM by lawnguyland »

annoyedwithskating

« Reply #2458 on: January 21, 2011, 11:52:16 PM »
seems like this shit has no where to go.

penguin meat

« Reply #2459 on: January 21, 2011, 11:56:10 PM »
This is definitely a tough decision