Author Topic: Official One In A Million 2010 Thread  (Read 278333 times)

ChildoftheGhetto

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -1322
  • Nathaniel Turner with a burner
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: Official One In A Million 2010 Thread
« Reply #2550 on: January 24, 2011, 12:02:19 PM »
I'm hyped at the backlash for john winning.

HyperBeam

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -59
« Reply #2551 on: January 24, 2011, 12:08:59 PM »
 the xgames are more about the actual act of skateboarding than this contest. good work slap, way to keep it core.

Garth Marenghi

« Reply #2552 on: January 24, 2011, 12:10:06 PM »
So John picked Zero? Hopefully there's some footage from him in Cold War.

jimi420

« Reply #2553 on: January 24, 2011, 12:10:56 PM »
Complete bullshit. Reuben and Forrest were both better than Jon. Yeah he bombed a gnarly ass hill but aside from that he was just decent. fuck mango was better than him.

grimcity

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2214
  • computer says no
« Reply #2554 on: January 24, 2011, 12:13:49 PM »
matty should've won

I can see how he didn't contest-wise, but there's no doubt we'll be seeing more of him. I enjoyed watching all those cats, but everything Matty did especially stood out for me.

Having said that, if Forest had been like he was in the last two episodes, he would have won. Part of this really is a personality contest... once he started being more sociable I got bummed that he hadn't been more like that from the start. Anyway, if he ever wanted a fresh fruit and I happened to have one, I would give it to him.

crest

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -140
« Reply #2555 on: January 24, 2011, 12:22:43 PM »
John seems like a dick. If it was who skated best, Forrest or Reuben or even Matty shoulda won over him.

Stanley Hol

• Rep: -9
« Reply #2556 on: January 24, 2011, 12:24:50 PM »
Is there more footage to come?  Should be a montage part of the whole week from all the heads, then separate parts of the top three.  I felt like the last day would make a mini part for the winner?

I Really enjoyed the whole thing anyway thanks!
Real Life.

whiteley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 362
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2557 on: January 24, 2011, 12:27:03 PM »
hey everybody,
sorry to have gone MIA for the last stretch. had to take some time off to tend to some family matters.
anyhow, i haven't read over the last 20 pages of comments yet, but thought i'd interject a few comments as general contest follow-up...

we chose john as the winner because to us, as the founders of the contest and with our taste and take on everything, he had the best mixture of talent, attitude, and it seemed like this was his time more so than with some of the other guys. reuben, being only 16, has plenty of time to mature and gain more experience and will undoubtedly do something in skateboarding if he focuses on it. forrest is in the right window of time as well, but it was his attitude through most of the week that made him hard to pick. he's obviously super talented at what he chooses to skate, but probably has some personal growth to do before companies will want to put a real investment into him. i do think that he's on his way with that, though, and hope that this experience has been a positive one for him. he and i had a really long one-on-one talk off camera before the finals day, and i think he got a much better sense of how things had been for everybody around him during the week. after that he did seem to try to make some changes, as you saw in the episodes, so i think it'll work out for him in the end. i hope it does.

as for sponsor stuff, john has chosen to work with zero for his board sponsor, and jamie thomas is really excited about it. there's been some talk about an ad for him possibly, as well as footage in the next zero vid. he's hard at work on his follow-up interview, which will be a video part, some photos, and an written interview. that should be happening before too long, maybe about six weeks out. i have also offered forrest a follow-up interview as well, which he has accepted, so watch for that in coming months as well.
so yeah, john is hooked up with zero and several of the other sponsors of the contest. some of the other guys are coming out of the contest in a good spot, too-- enjoi contacted me about reuben, and they are working on getting him set up on their flow program. matty has been in touch with deluxe and will be getting flow from them. selfish actually did contact me about forrest, and i passed that along to him, but he wasn't interested in pursuing it. with how good he is and all the exposure he gained from the contest, i'm sure something good will happen for him before too long.

all in all, this year was a huge leap ahead for OIAM and we're stoked that it got so much attention. everybody involved brought a lot to the total experience, and you guys on the forum and following the contest really helped get the fires burning. between all the episodes, we're going to end up with well over a million views for the contest this year, which is pretty big.

in coming weeks and months there will be more follow-up on the contest, so keep you eyes peeled. also, there's the next round of OIAM...

we're bumping the schedule of it up a bit this year, so the call for entries will be happening sooner than usual. we are also looking at changing the location, possibly to NYC. with those changes and how much heat this year's contest generated, the next one might be even bigger, so if you want to enter or know somebody who might, start getting ready soon!

MaryhillVibe

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 151
  • gfm
    • www.mudozine.com avatar image
« Reply #2558 on: January 24, 2011, 12:30:28 PM »
Expand Quote
matty should've won
[close]

I can see how he didn't contest-wise, but there's no doubt we'll be seeing more of him. I enjoyed watching all those cats, but everything Matty did especially stood out for me.

Having said that, if Forest had been like he was in the last two episodes, he would have won. Part of this really is a personality contest... once he started being more sociable I got bummed that he hadn't been more like that from the start. Anyway, if he ever wanted a fresh fruit and I happened to have one, I would give it to him.

the thing that irks me the most now is the thought that if Whitely or anyone had sat Forrest down after the first day and had a talk with him he would have fucking taken this thing hands down.

Donkey Lips

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 997
« Reply #2559 on: January 24, 2011, 12:35:40 PM »
Forrest turning down Selfish. Awesome.

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -936
  • I own Malibu? I am going to fuck you.
« Reply #2560 on: January 24, 2011, 12:40:10 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
matty should've won
[close]

[close]

the thing that irks me the most now is the thought that if Whitely or anyone had sat Forrest down after the first day and had a talk with him he would have fucking taken this thing hands down.
It wasn't Whitley's responsibility to teach them how to act.

And what's up with the forrest spin off? This can't be the last we see of him in this form!
Are you a kook? If you would say this, the answer is “YES”
I quit skating for a time due to piling out

Mr. tehe

• Rep: 3
« Reply #2561 on: January 24, 2011, 12:40:32 PM »
nyc oiam is a sick idea, they should do it in the winter

ChildoftheGhetto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -1322
  • Nathaniel Turner with a burner
« Reply #2562 on: January 24, 2011, 12:46:59 PM »
if it's in new york it's going to be boring as fuck. John already did enough 5-0s for the next 3 years.

IskateBaker

• Rep: -70
« Reply #2563 on: January 24, 2011, 12:50:07 PM »
Forrest turning down Selfish. Awesome.
Did you expect him to take it?
nigga when's the last time you caught a pokemon with a great ball?

The Twilight Zone

« Reply #2564 on: January 24, 2011, 12:52:45 PM »
matty is getting deluxe flow hook up? Looks like he wins too.

shouldn't

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 73
« Reply #2565 on: January 24, 2011, 12:57:30 PM »
stoked matty is on the dlxsf army. deffinatly pictured him riding for real since the begining. also the whole thing about selfish trying to hook forrest up is hillarious to me. john on zero is cool i guess but, last year tom got on & was suposed to have footage in strange world i had thought? what ever happend with that....? & gipper, you are a tool.. if you're really going to say that your entire opinion of this whole matter is based on me being stupid, then why are you posting it in the oiam forum? it doesn't really even matter who won the contest either, it's about the publicity that person puts out. john is good, yes. his footage that he sent in was fuckin sick, no doubt. it wasn't mind-blowing sick though & nothing he did in this contest the entire time was really worth a shit, about everyone has said that. you're right, it's not about how much of a dick he is & that forrest really deserved to win, it's about he won by having a "good attitude" when in the last episodes he actually calls someone out by their name & says they're "a prick".... also, the second he wins the contest it's like he expected it the whole time or alredy knew & the first thing he says is "you just earned my respect" as if he's some sort of god for winning a nobody contest.. i'm not having a shitfit nor do i really give a fuck about the contest in general, i got stoked on it cause i like watching forrest skate, in the end i changed my mind about rueben just how everyone else did about forrest... that kid is rad. oh, & who was first to clap at john winning? the other dude that's "super serious" about this contest....? you can't really read someone's attitude or personality through a slap post nor even an 18 day video of them, obviously

imagine fucking the dog shit outta chris roberts

Ball Chinian

• Rep: 11
« Reply #2566 on: January 24, 2011, 12:58:34 PM »
if it's in new york it's going to be boring as fuck. John already did enough 5-0s for the next 3 years.
hahahahaha, goddamn.
Sperm count down but sperm size up.  I think they've been eating each other.

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2567 on: January 24, 2011, 01:06:43 PM »
stoked matty is on the dlxsf army. deffinatly pictured him riding for real since the begining. also the whole thing about selfish trying to hook forrest up is hillarious to me. john on zero is cool i guess but, last year tom got on & was suposed to have footage in strange world i had thought? what ever happend with that....? & gipper, you are a tool.. if you're really going to say that your entire opinion of this whole matter is based on me being stupid, then why are you posting it in the oiam forum? it doesn't really even matter who won the contest either, it's about the publicity that person puts out. john is good, yes. his footage that he sent in was fuckin sick, no doubt. it wasn't mind-blowing sick though & nothing he did in this contest the entire time was really worth a shit, about everyone has said that. you're right, it's not about how much of a dick he is & that forrest really deserved to win, it's about he won by having a "good attitude" when in the last episodes he actually calls someone out by their name & says they're "a prick".... also, the second he wins the contest it's like he expected it the whole time or alredy knew & the first thing he says is "you just earned my respect" as if he's some sort of god for winning a nobody contest.. i'm not having a shitfit nor do i really give a fuck about the contest in general, i got stoked on it cause i like watching forrest skate, in the end i changed my mind about rueben just how everyone else did about forrest... that kid is rad. oh, & who was first to clap at john winning? the other dude that's "super serious" about this contest....? you can't really read someone's attitude or personality through a slap post nor even an 18 day video of them, obviously
I didn't read that, but I'll get you those kleenex. Looks like its gonna be a rough day for you.

Water Plantis

• Rep: -13
« Reply #2568 on: January 24, 2011, 01:22:44 PM »
glad to hear rueben is getting enjoi flow, but wow how the F#*k didn't he win it. how much money did john slip you to choose him

ice nine

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -308
« Reply #2569 on: January 24, 2011, 01:22:58 PM »
Lol shouldn't started likin reuben just when everyone else starts to hate him
I;m sure i;m not the only dc/monster/subaru type guy here

shouldn't

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2570 on: January 24, 2011, 01:29:40 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
I didn't read that, but I'll get you those kleenex. Looks like its gonna be a rough day for you.
ha pretty sure you read it & had nothing to say... that's alright buddy

daniel

• Rep: 35
« Reply #2571 on: January 24, 2011, 01:34:54 PM »
... and John was never seen or heard from in skating again.

MFS

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -65427
« Reply #2572 on: January 24, 2011, 01:43:19 PM »
Im down for the way this turned out, Whiteley made a very good point on the final decision. It wasn't in Slaps best interest to just hand over some kid who is going to make them look shitty with a crap attitude. Forrest is obviously the best skater out of the group, but isnt well rounded and has some personal growth to get over before he becomes the straight freak we now he is.

Forrest on Toy is weird to me. I say turf Moose or Furby and throw Forrest on Deathwish. Reuben fits Enjoi well and Jon is sick and I think he fits Zero perfect. Zero isn't really that hesh rail company to me anymore. It feels more like an all around straight to the point skateboard company now more than ever. Especially after hooking up a Keegan pro model.

IskateBaker

• Rep: -70
« Reply #2573 on: January 24, 2011, 01:51:04 PM »
Im down for the way this turned out, Whiteley made a very good point on the final decision. It wasn't in Slaps best interest to just hand over some kid who is going to make them look shitty with a crap attitude. Forrest is obviously the best skater out of the group, but isnt well rounded and has some personal growth to get over before he becomes the straight freak we now he is.

Forrest on Toy is weird to me. I say turf Moose or Furby and throw Forrest on Deathwish. Reuben fits Enjoi well and Jon is sick and I think he fits Zero perfect. Zero isn't really that hesh rail company to me anymore. It feels more like an all around straight to the point skateboard company now more than ever. Especially after hooking up a Keegan pro model.
definetly not moose, or furby really.
nigga when's the last time you caught a pokemon with a great ball?

Hatechild

« Reply #2574 on: January 24, 2011, 01:51:31 PM »
First Off: Thanks to Slap for keeping me entertained. This is the first OIAM I've followed and looking forward to the next.

Seems like they gave John the sympathy vote...yes he ripped but doesn't really keep up with Forrest and Rueben. Unfortunately I don't see him making a lasting impression on the skateboarding industry, but you never know. It's obvious that Forrest is the most talented and talked about skater of the group and will most likely leave the biggest impact on skateboarding (especially with his new attitude adjustment). For those of you who followed the previous OIAM, did attitude play such a big role in winners?

bumptobar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -34
« Reply #2575 on: January 24, 2011, 02:24:06 PM »
John is really sick, Im glad he won it. 

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2576 on: January 24, 2011, 02:27:21 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
What should I say?  Tom just had a checkout in transworld and is still filming for strangeworld? That no matter what you say your piece of shit friend acted like a piece of shit to people who saw him in more than just short web videos, and since he was such a piece of shit human being he didn't win? That Forrest didn't get anybody's respect the whole time, and John pointing out that he noticed Forrest turned a corner was actually a nice thing to say? That it was no surprise they didn't get along? That Forrest wouldn't have clapped for him until he got put in check for thousands of people to watch on the internet?

I'm not trying to argue those points, that's not my point.

Your idol lost, all the shit talking in the world won't change that, so stop writing long crybaby rants.

StarkyLove

• Rep: -119
« Reply #2577 on: January 24, 2011, 02:44:50 PM »
john sux dix

MFS

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -65427
« Reply #2578 on: January 24, 2011, 02:46:28 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
[close]
What should I say?  Tom just had a checkout in transworld and is still filming for strangeworld? That no matter what you say your piece of shit friend acted like a piece of shit to people who saw him in more than just short web videos, and since he was such a piece of shit human being he didn't win? That Forrest didn't get anybody's respect the whole time, and John pointing out that he noticed Forrest turned a corner was actually a nice thing to say? That it was no surprise they didn't get along? That Forrest wouldn't have clapped for him until he got put in check for thousands of people to watch on the internet?

I'm not trying to argue those points, that's not my point.

Your idol lost, all the shit talking in the world won't change that, so stop writing long crybaby rants.

You mean Cold War.

shouldn't

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2579 on: January 24, 2011, 02:50:41 PM »
you're obviously the one who cares the most about the contest, i don't see why mark didn't choose you. & i don't really know how tom could be filming for a video that already came out.......but okay? it's not like forrest is my bestfriend or even close friend, he's someone that i've met more then once & know in my own opinion that he's a genuinely nice person, i knew from the start that he would be taken the wrong way but, you are the one throwing fits. i'm just pointing out the way shit is. before the double set day footage dropped & you guys were all still saying his footage that he sent in was even lame... i was only pointing out the obvious that you are all agreeing to now... he is lightyears ahead of everyone else in the contest by talent, ofcourse he's going to get taken the wrong way, he's the subject matter. it's the same as everyone saying heath & leo are assholes, because they are in the spotlight. i don't take any of this personaly i just point out things that are obvious & then people like you cry about it because they can't except what's in front of their faces.