Author Topic: Official One In A Million 2010 Thread  (Read 278334 times)

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -936
  • I own Malibu? I am going to fuck you.
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: Official One In A Million 2010 Thread
« Reply #2580 on: January 24, 2011, 03:02:46 PM »
I'm not crying. I accept what's in front of my face: My guy won, your guy lost.

Are you a kook? If you would say this, the answer is “YES”
I quit skating for a time due to piling out

The Twilight Zone

« Reply #2581 on: January 24, 2011, 03:10:46 PM »
i can see Reuben on element. Probably because i hate him.

alittleethnicsong

« Reply #2582 on: January 24, 2011, 03:13:40 PM »
Once again, this=power, style, and control:

Really though, anyone could have won, and it would have made sense. A bunch of unique styles and skating are almost impossible to judge against each other--especially when they are as diverse as these dudes were.

With regards to each skaters' own unique awkwardness, in the "lifestyle" clips, I think that that is almost unavoidable with that whole camera in the face thing going on. People who love to live with their mugs in front of a camera, are just fucking weird.

strangefires

« Reply #2583 on: January 24, 2011, 03:34:48 PM »
whoa hadn't watched that ^

fucking sick

shouldn't

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 73
« Reply #2584 on: January 24, 2011, 03:38:49 PM »

haha okay let's see what happends in the long-run. forrest, rueben & david bowens will deffinatly go somewhere.

imagine fucking the dog shit outta chris roberts

ice nine

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -308
« Reply #2585 on: January 24, 2011, 03:43:32 PM »
Forrest did better tricks in the contest than john, but john easily had the best entry tape.even rueben's was better than forrest's. I'm sure that matters a fair amount too.
I;m sure i;m not the only dc/monster/subaru type guy here

VictoriousOG

« Reply #2586 on: January 24, 2011, 03:44:01 PM »
Reuben looks like a teen wolf.

And Mark, what was up with your voice towards the end of the series?

ChildoftheGhetto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -1323
  • Nathaniel Turner with a burner
« Reply #2587 on: January 24, 2011, 03:49:13 PM »
Forrest did better tricks in the contest than john, but john easily had the best entry tape.even rueben's was better than forrest's. I'm sure that matters a fair amount too.
what? nollie front crook hollywood>john and rueben put together.

earlygrab

« Reply #2588 on: January 24, 2011, 03:52:58 PM »
sounds like a bunch of jocks in here arguing over their favorite team.

shouldn't

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 73
« Reply #2589 on: January 24, 2011, 04:05:17 PM »
wow, you've very obviously never been to any of these spots.

imagine fucking the dog shit outta chris roberts

jimi420

« Reply #2590 on: January 24, 2011, 04:09:55 PM »
Anybody else notice Forrest has Fat guy steeze? even if he's not fat.

SFblah

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 668
« Reply #2591 on: January 24, 2011, 04:15:27 PM »

lostcat

• Rep: 0
« Reply #2592 on: January 24, 2011, 04:30:09 PM »
Forrest got ripped off.  I've got nothing but respect for Whitely, but that guy was the best skater in the show.  Not everyone's nice and down or able to skate anything, and the fact that he took his criticism to heart was pretty unexpected for me, made me respect him and go from hoping he wouldn't win to cheering for him.

I would have bet that two of the finalists were going to be Reuben and Forrest.  I also thought the last spot was a toss-up, and that whoever got it had no chance of winning.  I wouldn't have been too disappointed if Reuben had won, he held it down, but the third guy taking it didn't even cross my mind.

John got the high sticker - that and the frontside boardslide on the sketchy rail at the Morrisey church - but besides that he didn't get anything memorable for me (and bombing a hill into a building isn't a gnarly trick, it's just stupid).  Reuben got his with the ollie at Quimby and the kf 5-0, gnarly stuff, and I was stoked on his skating.  But I was more into Forrest than Reuben.

Not only did Forrest kill it the hardest at that double set with the bigflip, back 360 and switch tre, but Reuben skated it too and only got a double flip.  And at the stairs in Oakland John got a fakie ollie; Forrest dropped a switch backside heel, which is a lot burlier by me.  And personally I think that out of the two tricks at Clipper the three flip grind was more gnar.  To me when it came to spots he skated Forrest ran the shit.

And Forrest had a bad tape?  Are you kidding me?  He did tricks I wouldn't be surprised to see pros do - Kickflip 360 down a big set, bigflip and back three a gap Trapasso switch flipped and switch heeled, and nollie front crook Hollywood High.  The only entry I was more stoked on was Stain's.

All I gotta say is that I want to see what Forrest does in the future; he killed it.  The other guys might be more well-rounded, but Mr. Edwards is raw.  Yeah that was long and a rant, but whatever.

Clayton

• Rep: 78
    • Spot Hunter avatar image
« Reply #2593 on: January 24, 2011, 04:50:14 PM »
Forrest got ripped off.  I've got nothing but respect for Whitely, but that guy was the best skater in the show.  Not everyone's nice and down or able to skate anything, and the fact that he took his criticism to heart was pretty unexpected for me, made me respect him and go from hoping he wouldn't win to cheering for him.

I would have bet that two of the finalists were going to be Reuben and Forrest.  I also thought the last spot was a toss-up, and that whoever got it had no chance of winning.  I wouldn't have been too disappointed if Reuben had won, he held it down, but the third guy taking it didn't even cross my mind.

John got the high sticker - that and the frontside boardslide on the sketchy rail at the Morrisey church - but besides that he didn't get anything memorable for me (and bombing a hill into a building isn't a gnarly trick, it's just stupid).  Reuben got his with the ollie at Quimby and the kf 5-0, gnarly stuff, and I was stoked on his skating.  But I was more into Forrest than Reuben.

Not only did Forrest kill it the hardest at that double set with the bigflip, back 360 and switch tre, but Reuben skated it too and only got a double flip.  And at the stairs in Oakland John got a fakie ollie; Forrest dropped a switch backside heel, which is a lot burlier by me.  And personally I think that out of the two tricks at Clipper the three flip grind was more gnar.  To me when it came to spots he skated Forrest ran the shit.

And Forrest had a bad tape?  Are you kidding me?  He did tricks I wouldn't be surprised to see pros do - Kickflip 360 down a big set, bigflip and back three a gap Trapasso switch flipped and switch heeled, and nollie front crook Hollywood High.  The only entry I was more stoked on was Stain's.

All I gotta say is that I want to see what Forrest does in the future; he killed it.  The other guys might be more well-rounded, but Mr. Edwards is raw.  Yeah that was long and a rant, but whatever.
Amen.

Mooley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 254
« Reply #2594 on: January 24, 2011, 05:17:20 PM »
It'd be a lot easier to say he got ripped off if he didn't sit out at half of the spots. I mean, I agree that the decision's a little iffy to give it to John but you can see how consistent skating and good vibes at all the spots can win out over slaying at some spots and then putting a total damper on the session at the others. Whiteley made it pretty clear that they're all going places if they work for it so it doesn't really matter all that much in the end anyway.

jayrolla420

• Rep: -4
« Reply #2595 on: January 24, 2011, 05:20:38 PM »
No one got ripped off, their all good.  What Whiteley said makes sense, Reuben is young and will have his time, Forrest was being a baglicker. Jon ripped and had the best entry tape imo, but they were all close.  Its impossible to say who is the best skater, they are all very different.

vegan*shawn

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -416
  • listen to Jawbreaker
« Reply #2596 on: January 24, 2011, 05:36:37 PM »
If Forrest would have manned up and skated every spot, not been such a douche to everyone and thought before he spoke he would have won, his street stuff was hands down the gnarliest. Skateboarding's past is line with dudes who thought they where to cool to skate and to cool to be nice to other people and they ended up not going anywhere or riding for some 3rd rate sponsors and having people make threads on Slap asking whatever happened to them....
John skated everything, even with staples in his fucking head (that ollie he did before the hill bomb was fucking bonkers), he didn't complain about spots and just ripped the whole time, he deserved to win. So many of you have a man crush on Forrest that you are not taking into account the big picture.

Cockaigne

• Rep: 0
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2597 on: January 24, 2011, 05:38:30 PM »
John definitily shouldn't have won. If someone else but forrest was gonna get it, it should have been matty hunt.

forrest is just the product of today's skate culture, and i think he should have won.

nevertheless, it was entertaining... hope to see more of all of them.

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2598 on: January 24, 2011, 06:12:19 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
wow, you've very obviously never been to any of these spots.
You should rinse your face off with cold water, you look like you've been crying all day.

kappin

« Reply #2599 on: January 24, 2011, 06:33:59 PM »
Hahaha kids still saying Jon got the "sympathy vote" even after what Whiteley said. God damn you kids are thick as fuck. There is no "sympathy vote," you dumbasses. As Whiteley said, he got the win because Whiteley felt that he skated the best and had the best attitude.
I definitely thought Reuben deserved to win, he just did the best stuff at the most places and will get less over the top with his niceness as he gets older. Jon was better on the tranny but Reuben's skating still outweighed it. Forrest skated like a third of the spots and acts like an idiot, if any of you thought he was actually going to win, you aren't too perceptive. Turning down Selfish makes me like him slightly more, but I hope he's not really on Toy. Reuben should've won but oh well. Jon did damn well and everyone crying about it should remember this:

Whiteley's opinion: decided the contest, your opinion: nothing.

LemonParty

• Rep: -112
« Reply #2600 on: January 24, 2011, 07:03:25 PM »
 Rueben didnt win cause clearly he doesnt need to, hes super talented and has the attitude that alot of companies want promoted, think people mentioned the same thing when Tom Asta was in the comp and didnt win it.

Forest didnt win cause his attitude wasnt gonna get him anywhere unless he changed it. Winning it wouldnt have changed it and it woulda been a waste of a win. I think Whitely did him a big favour by not giving the win to him. hes alot more likely to make it somewhere now than he would have been had he not changed his attitude and won it.

Then winner should be either matty or john, probably a tossup, depends on who you talk to, either one is fine with me. Clearly rueben/forest put out the best/most footy that makes them deserve the win. Matty/John both put out a good amount of solid tricks but not nearly as much as rueben/forest. We werent there in person, so its hard to judge between those two.

At first i was on the "this is a skate comp not a attitude comp" shit and thought it should be def forest to win. But realistically this comp is out there to promote skaters who dont have any sponsors. Key word here is promotion, which is the only reason skate sponsorship even exists. If this was best run at tampa flow then yeah, forest wins, but best mix of skating/attitude that companies are looking for? Makes sense that John won.

LemonParty

• Rep: -112
« Reply #2601 on: January 24, 2011, 07:03:55 PM »
 that being said im stoked for the next one.

lawnguyland

« Reply #2602 on: January 24, 2011, 07:22:21 PM »
John is really sick, Im glad he won it. 

lawnguyland

« Reply #2603 on: January 24, 2011, 07:24:22 PM »
you're obviously the one who cares the most about the contest, i don't see why mark didn't choose you. & i don't really know how tom could be filming for a video that already came out.......but okay? it's not like forrest is my bestfriend or even close friend, he's someone that i've met more then once & know in my own opinion that he's a genuinely nice person, i knew from the start that he would be taken the wrong way but, you are the one throwing fits. i'm just pointing out the way shit is. before the double set day footage dropped & you guys were all still saying his footage that he sent in was even lame... i was only pointing out the obvious that you are all agreeing to now... he is lightyears ahead of everyone else in the contest by talent, ofcourse he's going to get taken the wrong way, he's the subject matter. it's the same as everyone saying heath & leo are assholes, because they are in the spotlight. i don't take any of this personaly i just point out things that are obvious & then people like you cry about it because they can't except what's in front of their faces.

dude, seriously, shut the fuck up already. your like a shitty, broken record

Rueben didnt win cause clearly he doesnt need to, hes super talented and has the attitude that alot of companies want promoted, think people mentioned the same thing when Tom Asta was in the comp and didnt win it.

Forest didnt win cause his attitude wasnt gonna get him anywhere unless he changed it. Winning it wouldnt have changed it and it woulda been a waste of a win. I think Whitely did him a big favour by not giving the win to him. hes alot more likely to make it somewhere now than he would have been had he not changed his attitude and won it.

Then winner should be either matty or john, probably a tossup, depends on who you talk to, either one is fine with me. Clearly rueben/forest put out the best/most footy that makes them deserve the win. Matty/John both put out a good amount of solid tricks but not nearly as much as rueben/forest. We werent there in person, so its hard to judge between those two.

At first i was on the "this is a skate comp not a attitude comp" shit and thought it should be def forest to win. But realistically this comp is out there to promote skaters who dont have any sponsors. Key word here is promotion, which is the only reason skate sponsorship even exists. If this was best run at tampa flow then yeah, forest wins, but best mix of skating/attitude that companies are looking for? Makes sense that John won.

exactly. you are one of the few people in this thread that actually gets it and is not a whiny person
« Last Edit: January 24, 2011, 07:40:08 PM by lawnguyland »

Binomial Nomenclature

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 107
« Reply #2604 on: January 24, 2011, 07:46:28 PM »
Reuben fits Enjoi well.

What with always "grabbin' Mango's ass and shit" I can see this working out.

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2605 on: January 24, 2011, 08:28:49 PM »
Expand Quote
Reuben fits Enjoi well.
[close]

What with always "grabbin' Mango's ass and shit" I can see this working out.
Reuben on enjoi is awesome because he is not the dude everybody else predicted would end up getting on. Makes sense though, ollied the double set and impressed Barletta and simultaneous left a good impression on him attitudewise. Its actually really rad, because the whole session and scene that led up to him getting sponsored was caught on film.

Bubblegum Tate

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -1042
  • Slap's Resident Sneakerhead
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #2606 on: January 24, 2011, 08:32:55 PM »

im still "team forrest"
Ethan Bubblegum Tate - Captain of the Harlem Globetrotters, lecturer of Physics at Globetrotter University.
Tate is one of the best posters that's not me

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2607 on: January 24, 2011, 08:40:37 PM »
I support that.

cops keep firing

• Rep: 63
« Reply #2608 on: January 24, 2011, 08:43:58 PM »
i tried so hard to stay out of this. i really did...
the contest is over and nothing can change what happened.
this is for the gipper especially.

easily 75% of this thread is dedicated to talking about
forrest and his attitude.

then there is this thread about peabody and sean:
http://www.slapmagazine.com/component/option,com_jfusion/Itemid,4/index.php?topic=50134.0

give me a break. i'm never seen such blatant hypocrisy in my life.
you've (not just you gipper) talked left and right about how forrest didn't deserve to win or whatever
because of his attitude but it doesn't matter if peabody or sean do it.

These guys are both so fucking good and awesome to watch skate, but GOD DAMN they are fucking assholes. You think Forrest Edwards is bad....
yeah, that' pretty true. Tnt included.

lot's of 'cool guys' in SF, but no denying these goons fucking kill it.

They just got that "cool guy" attitude that is really annoying. I've heard second hand stories of Peabody being with a crew of people who were all about to go out to a bar and having little baby fits about not wanting to go out if some guy or another was with them, but I've never personally experienced that.
I've seen Trujillo talk shit to random kids around the park who weren't even skating or trying to talk to him. He seemed wasted, but still, the actions you take when you are drunk still have consequences.
I still stand by my opinion that that dude Pablo is the raddest of the crocker kids though.

Who cares if they're assholes, they're not getting paid to be your friend. Not everyone is Karl Watson. What do you want to talk to them for anyways? So that you feel like you made a connection with someone "important"? Just leave them alone and let them skate. I don't know any of them, so I don't know if they're good people or shitheads or what, but I do know that they are people. They're not magic. They're just some random dudes who happen to be pretty good at the ol' shred stickery. Whatever.

its fucking petty to rip so hard on forrest for the same shit a million other people in skating do.
its not just skating either so get over it or hold everyone equally accountable. don't be a
hypocrite.
I mean, if the creator of the universe is truly concerned with where you put your penis, then surely he has an opinion on who had the best part in Fully Flared.

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2609 on: January 24, 2011, 08:48:36 PM »
I don't get it. How did I support that? I talked multiple times about how they were assholes too- having cool guy attitudes, Peabody refusing to go out to bars with people he didn't know well, getting drunk and acting like assholes to kids at the park. Its actually in the proof you presented.
I talked about Forrest being an asshole, I talked about those guys being assholes. I never said not to watch any of them skate, and I didn't advocate them winning any contests.
What is a hypocrite exactly?
I'm confused.