Author Topic: Fitness/Gym Thread  (Read 37272 times)

bo golden

Re: Fitness/Gym Thread
« Reply #120 on: November 08, 2018, 09:59:20 AM »
figured i would bump this thread instead of starting a new one.

Things i cant stand to see at the gym, or pretty much anywhere:

dudes that wear superman/batman shirts, youre fat and not that cool, fuck outta here

and i cant stand those fucking NOBULL shoes, hate those with a passion. 

anybody else out there have any gym pet peeves?

iKobrakai

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -717
« Reply #121 on: November 08, 2018, 10:13:29 AM »

dudes that wear superman/batman shirts, youre fat and not that cool, fuck outta here

Too many to mention. I'm old and bitter.

Abyss1

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 144
« Reply #122 on: November 08, 2018, 10:29:22 AM »

I go to 24 hour fitness
Dudes just staring at mirror looking at their insane steroid built pecs and arms stands out as the biggest for me. 
People who do workouts in the /sauna/steam room like sit ups and push ups on the benches.
Chicks with big asses who give you the stink eyes for watching them do squats....

bo golden

« Reply #123 on: November 08, 2018, 11:13:18 AM »
im old and bitter too man, fuck it!

those chicks are the worst.  there is this chick at my gym like that, she's hot and all tatted up, fat ass, but super into Supreme and always has something on or with her with Supreme on it.  i want to ask her if she is excited for the new video, just to see what she says and to get a little chuckle.

Abyss1

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #124 on: November 08, 2018, 11:14:59 AM »
im old and bitter too man, fuck it!

those chicks are the worst.  there is this chick at my gym like that, she's hot and all tatted up, fat ass, but super into Supreme and always has something on or with her with Supreme on it.  i want to ask her if she is excited for the new video, just to see what she says and to get a little chuckle.

haha word... dont get me started on those hypebeast gymrats

iKobrakai

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #125 on: November 08, 2018, 12:14:23 PM »
Fine, I'll do my part.

Crossfit: Shitty cult for idiots who want to pay five times more for gym membership. Can't wait til the fad is dead.

Leaving the bar loaded: Leave it loaded over your throat next time.

Phone fucks: You're supposed to lift weights, not your phone for your shitty IG.

Broscience (not the Youtube channel): Yeah, yeah... "Squats are bar for your knees and you should not touch the chest on the bench press." Get back to your shitty cable cross chest flies.

Idiots on steroids giving advice to beginners: I'm sure it will do wonders.

People who can't pull 400 lbs. arguing about elite stuff like sumo vs. conventional: Way out of your league, shut up.

People who walk around in the most expensive shit: You blow, go to a Crossfit "box", you'll fit in with the rest of pretentious useless cunts.

Constant belt users: I'm sure you need a belt for a triceps cable shit with 50 lbs.

These are real examples of real people. I fucking hate the gym culture so I stay on the weightlifting/deadlifting platform talking to 3 people.

foureyedjim

« Reply #126 on: November 08, 2018, 01:45:50 PM »
Gym culture sucks, but you sound like a miserable person and I hope I never have to meet you in person :)

Abyss1

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #127 on: November 08, 2018, 01:47:30 PM »
Fine, I'll do my part.

Crossfit: Shitty cult for idiots who want to pay five times more for gym membership. Can't wait til the fad is dead.

Phone fucks: You're supposed to lift weights, not your phone for your shitty IG.

Broscience (not the Youtube channel): Yeah, yeah... "Squats are bar for your knees and you should not touch the chest on the bench press." Get back to your shitty cable cross chest flies.

People who can't pull 400 lbs. arguing about elite stuff like sumo vs. conventional: Way out of your league, shut up.

People who walk around in the most expensive shit: You blow, go to a Crossfit "box", you'll fit in with the rest of pretentious useless cunts.

Constant belt users: I'm sure you need a belt for a triceps cable shit with 50 lbs.

These are real examples of real people. I fucking hate the gym culture so I stay on the weightlifting/deadlifting platform talking to 3 people.

oh god these people make me cringe everytime...especially the Bro science guys, talking like they Joe Rogan.

The phone fucks too, like yoo ive seen people post up for like 15 min on a machine :o

Im not down with the culture as most of these people are Jocks...its weird how these people get so full of themselves soo fucking fast (not that skaters dont do it, but at least we aint talking nutrition when it comes to the perfect ollie)

iKobrakai

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #128 on: November 08, 2018, 09:02:50 PM »
Gym culture sucks, but you sound like a miserable person and I hope I never have to meet you in person :)

A, wow.. What a unique comment, the interwebz will record this as the first time anyone has ever used it.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1577
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #129 on: November 08, 2018, 10:19:23 PM »
Guys duck facing themselves in the mirror.....

Don't get me started about heaven forbid having to go in the change room.....

noninjasinstreetfighter

• Rep: 19
« Reply #130 on: November 09, 2018, 11:18:07 AM »
Recently saw a dude bring his own portable speaker. I was stoked to listen to numetal at a loud volume.

Fredonskateboard

• Rep: -5
« Reply #131 on: November 09, 2018, 12:56:06 PM »
If you cant bench 2 plates (45x2 on each side. Felt that I had to point that out to all u skater hobbos), ur a little manlet. Gotta stay strong and fit to beat the crap out of scoots and fruitbooters

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 261
  • tiger style
« Reply #132 on: November 11, 2018, 03:51:59 AM »
anyone try orange theory?

been twice, super fun way to get full body workout and good cardio burn without all the goofiness of crossfit. the classes are super quick and focused and there are big screens with your heart rate and other metrics that make it interesting to see how you are doing compared to the rest of the class. i burned just under 1k in an hour on friday. thinking about signing me the lovely lady up for the lower membership so we can hit it once a week or so to plug holes in the class schedule in the other gym we are members at. also be nice to have a place for when i have meetings downtown or when i'm on the road.

Fine, I'll do my part.

we go to kind of a high end place that's more of a club than a gym and the things being complained about here mostly don't happen there. if it's really frustrating you you might want to try and higher end gym. it's mostly older professionals, very few meat head types, lots of soccer moms in lulu lemon gear... the people watching is more fun than anything. there's a hipsters with peter pan tights type trend going on that's pretty funny.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2018, 03:55:07 AM by Sleazy »

RIDEFLANNELV2

• Rep: 50
« Reply #133 on: November 11, 2018, 05:15:08 AM »
IMO gyms are a waste of money. Running and body weight exercises are really enough to get fit.

Here Come The Lame Jets

iKobrakai

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #134 on: November 11, 2018, 07:21:45 AM »
The thing about my gym is there are people who compete in olympic weightlifting (masters) and the amount of knowledge is what keeps me there. Also, very few places have equipment for that, so I'm not going anywhere. Doesn't hurt that it is super cheap, two.

I sound more bitter than I really am, most of the things I listed just result in a chuckle, then I keep doing my thing. I do have a bit of problem with people who don't know anything "coachning" noobs.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #135 on: November 11, 2018, 08:15:12 AM »
The thing about a gym is when you go there....you exercise....when you're at home....you don't.....

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 155
« Reply #136 on: November 11, 2018, 02:50:27 PM »
IMO gyms are a waste of money. Running and body weight exercises are really enough to get fit.
It depends on what your goals are. If you actually want to put on mass, then you're going to need to lift. Body weight exercises are only going to get you so far in that arena.

You and the D00D have turned this thread into a horrible head-on-collision between a short bus full of regular kids and a van full of paraplegics.

RIDEFLANNELV2

« Reply #137 on: November 11, 2018, 03:44:08 PM »
^You're right.

I'm not trying to pack on mass or pay someone to light weights inside. Too much fun to be had outdoors but to each there own.

Here Come The Lame Jets

KoRnholio8

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1488
  • SkateMagArchive
    • SkateMagArchive avatar image
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #138 on: November 12, 2018, 01:38:50 AM »
I have a super cheap shared gym membership as a work benefit, but I still like it way more to run up hills and finish strength training in the outdoor workout station/street workout bars (I am not implying that I am able to do anything impressive there).

It feels better to be outside and it is also good practice for proper clothes layering for different weather conditions. I would consider calisthenics the most desirable workout type, since you can do it on any budget (and most exercises will target multiple muscle groups).

As a side note, I was able to win something in a giveaway that I truly wanted for so long - a Garmin 645M and I can now track my HR all the time. This really made my year.

Coastal Fever

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 510
« Reply #139 on: November 12, 2018, 04:43:10 AM »
Running has been my main form of exercise for the past year or so.  My longest run/best time was 10km in 49 minutes, but last week I was feeling good and pushed myself to do 15km in 1h22m.  It’s freezing outside now though so not sure how many more outdoor runs I’ll be doing.  And I haaate running on treadmills.

iKobrakai

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #140 on: November 12, 2018, 05:02:18 AM »
Running has been my main form of exercise for the past year or so.  My longest run/best time was 10km in 49 minutes, but last week I was feeling good and pushed myself to do 15km in 1h22m.  It’s freezing outside now though so not sure how many more outdoor runs I’ll be doing.  And I haaate running on treadmills.

I'd say that running on treadmills is the number one cause of "New Year, New Me" people quiting around March. They have no idea that could do any thing else and achieve better results.

Good numbers, by the way.

RIDEFLANNELV2

« Reply #141 on: November 12, 2018, 06:22:09 AM »
^I'd say most people quit because they look as exercise as a chore. If you look at exercise as play then you'll be stoked to do it and it will become habitual.

Also running on a treadmill is pretty whack in just about all circumstances.

Here Come The Lame Jets

KoRnholio8

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1488
  • SkateMagArchive
    • SkateMagArchive avatar image
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #142 on: November 12, 2018, 06:36:59 AM »
Well, duh - isn't this why we congregated to the wooden toy?

However, I would argue that just about any physical activity will feel like a chore until you have adequate fitness and have mastered the moves. And if you don't push yourself too hard too soon.

That's why I respect any sport/activity, just because there is a community for just about any of them and skateboarding is not all that special (and everybody should be doing more physical activities). I do hope that the Olympics could raise awareness on just how hard skateboarding is and how at the same time the "exercises" are so varied, you can hardly ever get bored.

Abyss1

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #143 on: November 12, 2018, 07:08:43 AM »
^I'd say most people quit because they look as exercise as a chore. If you look at exercise as play then you'll be stoked to do it and it will become habitual.

Also running on a treadmill is pretty whack in just about all circumstances.

I actually heard they are bad for you if you run on them regularly because it does not simulate the irregularities of terrain...when you run outside the ground is not level and has curvatures...I never use them.  I prefer row machines, ellipticals, spin cycles, and rope climbs machines for cardio.  I fuck with kettle bells, free weights, and weight machines...Weckingball among other has helped me see the fun in lifting and muscle gain (not going too crazy tho)

Fredonskateboard

• Rep: -5
« Reply #144 on: November 12, 2018, 07:52:42 AM »
Getting a body like Weckingball takes years of training, or illegal substances.

Either way, packing on some muscle will help you battle the ground better.
But ofcourse, I dont see any benefits to being over 200lbs as a skateboarder.
I quit skateboarding for 12 years, and recently started again after having done motocross and alot of training duo to that. Being 200lbs @ 6,3ft is a real board snapper...

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #145 on: November 12, 2018, 07:54:22 AM »
In defence of the gym....it's helpful to me because when I've needed to rehab, I'm in a routine anyhow, plus over time you realize there are certain excercises you just need to do all the time to stay skating.  Home if have too many distractions.....with the gym...once I'm there, even if I'm mailing it in, if I was at home I wouldn't do it. 

iKobrakai

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #146 on: November 12, 2018, 09:11:56 AM »
Did anyone watch 2018 Worlds? Olympic weightlifting? No? I'll shut up, now.

Russia bombed, pretty much. But Rebecca Koha did great,as a junior, nontheless. She has the sickest technique. Ilya entered but didn't compete. Lasha fucking killed it in supers. Moradi was insane. Tian did this funny thing on his jerk. Good show, all in all.

I'll shut up, now.

foureyedjim

« Reply #147 on: November 12, 2018, 11:32:10 AM »
I dont see any benefits to being over 200lbs as a skateboarder.

It all depends on what kinda skating you want to do.  If you skate more transition and you rely on momentum being heavier can be beneficial. 

Running and body weight exercises are really enough to get fit.

To a certain degree, loading your body with some external weights is, in my opinion, necessary for injury prevention.  With high level activity like skating, there's all sorts of stress to your body that exceeds your actual body weight.  You can't always "train" fast so can start by training slow and controlled with external weights. 

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 261
  • tiger style
« Reply #148 on: November 16, 2018, 08:04:08 AM »
been doing orange theory for a week or so now. pretty stoked on it. the cardio parts are interval style like body for life and i love how they've gamified it with hr monitors and IoT approaches. you get summaries of each workout in the app and the stats slay the previous style of working out i was doing where i'd get usually about 700-800 in an hour. here's one from this week. the splat points are the amount of time your hr is orange or above (147 for me). it basically means that if you get 12 or more in a class your metabolism will be turbo charged for the next 36 hours or so.

definitely recommend checking it out. low bro factor and if you are a single guy seems like it would be a good way to meet fit women as the classes are mostly women and you always end up getting to know people in group fitness classes eventually. it's not for people on tight budgets... it's definitely a luxury fitness thing.

TheBoognish

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 129
« Reply #149 on: November 18, 2018, 11:33:39 AM »
Started doing Brazilian Jiu Jitsu about 4 months ago or so, and to be honest, I've never been in better shape. I go between 2 and 5 times a week (if my beat up body allows it) for at least an hour and a half, usually 2, and I love it. My coach seems to think I'm improving fast, so that always hypes me up for the next class and makes me want to work harder. The only reason I won't go is if I'm sick or hurt.

I've lost 15 lbs so far, my cardio has never been better, my beer gut has melted and it's given me something to look forward to when I get off work. My lower back, also, has never felt better. Also, I've been eating much cleaner as well, your body recovers so much better. I barely drink now, and my weed smoking has toned down a lot.

Only problem is joint and neck stiffness (most likely a bulging disk, I should get it checked out), but that's 20 years of skating for ya, and BJJ ain't that easy on the body, especially as a white belt.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2018, 11:36:21 AM by TheBoognish »