Author Topic: Fitness/Gym Thread  (Read 37140 times)

snickers

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -325
  • do you think this is a game?
Fitness/Gym Thread
« on: December 03, 2010, 11:50:06 AM »
I know, I know. Sexy D already made a post your abs thread. I was wondering if any SLAP posters have daily or scheduled work out routines such as running or biking or going to the gym? Lets discuss.
I take my fat ass to the gym three times a week for 3 hours day including an hour of cardio, an hour of chest and abdomen and an hour of lower body. I also ride my bike for 5 miles twice a week.
fatcockXL deserves to be mod on the strength of his name alone

nocomply

• Rep: 147
  • Handsome
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: Fitness/Gym Thread
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2010, 11:55:41 AM »
I miss working out. Need to lose 20 lbs.

Bobbito

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -14
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2010, 11:58:21 AM »
Damn Snickers, I'm usually only there for like an hour and change 3-4 times a week. I'm gonna start going more often once finals are done and vacation/winter begins.

mcpeepants

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -18
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2010, 12:02:23 PM »
I used to exercise regularly for about 3 years, then just pretty much stopped once I got into skating. Been thinking about getting back into, especially with winter just around the corner. I love exercise outside of skating... makes me feel better, helps with insomnia, pretty much only good comes from it haha.
you some closet dick-in-da-booty ass nigga.

snickers

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -325
  • do you think this is a game?
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2010, 12:05:06 PM »
Damn Snickers, I'm usually only there for like an hour and change 3-4 times a week. I'm gonna start going more often once finals are done and vacation/winter begins.
Started this regiment about two months ago. I started to form a gnarly potbelly after getting sober and the history of diabetes and heart disease in my keeps me motivated to get and stay healthy.
fatcockXL deserves to be mod on the strength of his name alone

floop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -28
  • the things I do for my fucking friends!
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2010, 12:06:26 PM »
i go running 3 or 4 times a week and do sit ups and pushups and shit about once a week.  need to do more cuz i still have a fucking beer gut .  even with all the running and skateboarding.   i hate gyms but i think i might join my work one since it's convenient and paying for it inspires me to use it.   i prefer being outside though, not in an air conditioned room with stupid sports games on tv
"Every time I read one of your shitty posts I wonder why I am wasting my time looking at SLAP."

Inanimate Object

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2010, 12:07:15 PM »
I go to the gym, usually around twice a week. I run, too, and used to do boxing and stuff, but my life is way too hectic currently to have time for anything but a couple of weekly gym sessions. I tend to have a cyclic record of gym attendance, in which I will go through periods of intense workout devotion followed by periods of intense donuts.

Fongstarr.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 311
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2010, 12:12:18 PM »
I am not fat (I weigh 160 and am 5"8) and have a pretty damn good metabolism where I can drink beer and eat like shit and not gain that much weight but recently I noticed since I am going to be 30 next year that I am starting to actually retain weight. Only 2 years ago, I weighed 145. I decided to join the gym about a month and a half ago and go about 3-4 times a week but feel like it's doing nothing. I don't get how people (like Snickers) have such a crazy workout schedule. I do about an hour at most and that includes a 2 mile run that takes 20 minutes and miscellaneous work outs for the remaining hour. By the end of it, I am tired as shit!

My goal is to weigh a solid 170 with hardly any body fat. I am even thinking about getting a bike too just to add to the workout but since it is winter, I'll think about doing that in the summer.

Question for you guys.....are free weights that more effective or are machines just as effective? Reason why I ask is I don't do free weights at all cause I got stuck benching by myself and someone had to help me after like 30 seconds of the weights being on my chest. Been shook ever since.
I'll fuckin
I'll fuckin
sew your asshole closed, and keep feedin you
and feedin you, and feedin you, and feedin you!

pmatute

• Rep: -4
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2010, 12:20:27 PM »
I need to get in shape. I'm going to start doing that insane workout. I just downloaded it. I just have to get motivated. Anyone got any tips for motivation?

mcpeepants

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2010, 12:32:48 PM »
I need to get in shape. I'm going to start doing that insane workout. I just downloaded it. I just have to get motivated. Anyone got any tips for motivation?

get ripped, get bitches  8)

Inbred Jed

« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2010, 12:37:50 PM »
Twice a week I do 5 sets of 25 push ups and 30 stomach crunches and some exercises with a couple 15 lb. dumbbells. I go to yoga every Wednesday through work and try to get in another 20-40 minutes a couple times a week at home. I go hiking and mountain biking whenever I get a chance. I am still not skinny though. I would exercise way more if I had the time. I like to eat and drink like a viking. Having a family and household to take care of means that if you are taking care of yourself or indulging in your own hobbies that you are neglecting someone or something else.

Beeda Weeda

« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2010, 12:39:08 PM »
ahh, this thread is going to be embaressing when Dallas post his abs and re names it, how much can you bench?
I got a membership in 04 when I blew my knee out, I was 21.
Shit can be totally gay, and full of douchebags, but if you make the bes tof it, it can be very rewarding.
I basically go 6 days a week for an hour and a half, mostly running, biking and doing lots of leg exersizes,balance exersizes I am re habbing from tearing all the ligiments in my ankle last spring, ? I am not rushing back onto a board.
I bought a mountain bike last summer and rode that alot to try and keep in shape.

Free weights are good for working stabalizing muscles, but machines are good to push yourself and not having to worry about getting
hurt

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -937
  • I own Malibu? I am going to fuck you.
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2010, 12:39:36 PM »
Gym thread? hahahahaha.
How much ya' bench bro?

You want to work out your core or legs? Skateboard. You want to work on your arms? Get a job.
People with office jobs aren't supposed to have big arms. Big arms mean you do man's work for a living.
Are you a kook? If you would say this, the answer is “YES”
I quit skating for a time due to piling out

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 256
  • tiger style
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2010, 12:44:25 PM »
i was a fintess freak for probably a solid 8 years and got really good results using the body for life program that i highly recomend: http://bodyforlife.com/

you really can get shredded in 3 months on that program and it has a cheat day which IMHO makes it way more managable and like i said before i kept it up for 8 years.

the begining of this year, i had to go to therapy 3 hours a week for my back and started working 60 hour weeks and this resulted in me gaining 10 lbs because after working 10-12 hour shifts, coming home exhausted and not having worked out, i pretty much just wanted to drink and eat. i've since got my back sorted out and no longer am in therapy but haven't been able to get back into a good consistent routine. i've stayed pretty good on my diet but i never diet as good when i don't work out because when i'm working out i don't want to waste the effort i put in so i'm less likely to cheat. i try to ride my bike as much as possible and i'm starting to feel my motivation coming back to me but i'm still working 12 hour days and will be for at least another month so i might wait till the new years before trying to seriously get back into it and i'm thinking about getting some weights for the garage and just jogging in the neighborhood because i'm seriously over the gym. i hate being in there with all those people, especially after spending all day in doors at work.

Question for you guys.....are free weights that more effective or are machines just as effective? Reason why I ask is I don't do free weights at all cause I got stuck benching by myself and someone had to help me after like 30 seconds of the weights being on my chest. Been shook ever since.

free weights will give you a beter overall workout because you have to use stabalizer muscles to balance so you work out more areas. if you are having a hard time with bar bells then use dumb bells to build up your strenght. don't fall for that gym mentality bullshit about lifting heavy, instead treat it like skating and work out at you level so that you can have good form (or style). lift weights like stefan and not torry... it's more fun and you get better results. if you want to go heavier then build up strenght through doing progressively heavier weight for each set.

see the body for life link for full details but basically for chest you'd pick two exercises, say dumb bell presses and dumb bell flys and then do your set like this:

set 1
presses 12 at 45lbs

set 2
presses 10 at 55lbs

set 3
presses 8 at 65lbs

set 4
presses 6 at 75lbs

set 5
presses 12 at 50lbs
-followed immediately by
flys 12 at 25lbs

adjust the weight so it makes sense for you and i'd encourage you to take notes at first so that you can progress. so for 2 weeks you keep it here then the next 2 weeks bump it by 5lbs and if you find that it's too heavy put it in your notes. after a month change to too different exercises. do that for each body part once a week and you'll be golden, alternating lifting with cardio days. i do 3 body parts a day and it takes 45 mins and cardio if you do BFL takes 20 mins but it'll be the worst 20mins of your day and never gets easier.

nocomply

• Rep: 147
  • Handsome
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2010, 12:50:47 PM »
I read that book and followed the workout for about a year. the first three months, I dropped almost 30 pounds. Worked really well for fast weight loss and the diet that goes with it was pretty good. Lots of small meals.

realitycontrol

• Rep: 237
  • "only when i breathe"
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2010, 12:52:29 PM »
"Bro, its rough being buff."
"Judging by the state of the economy and world at large, looks like we get to be the fucked generation." - Mouth

ice nine

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -308
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2010, 01:10:23 PM »
I have a serious binge eating problem, dunno how it started but I basically feel starving all the time. So I gain weight quickly.

So once a year or so I go on a 3 month diet/excercise plan, nothing crazy.twice a week for an hour and a half in the gym(watch prank patrol exclusively), and one or two 45 min runs and 100 situps and pushups a week as well. Not a healthy way to live I know. Also I try and not get high untill I'm done workin it out, helps with motivation for sure.

What do u guys pay for ur gym memberships? Our local community place is 2.25 drop in, but only from 10 pm till midnight twice a week.but it has a nice pool/sauna/hot tub that is included for that price. The hours suck though so I'm lookin for somewhere else currently
I;m sure i;m not the only dc/monster/subaru type guy here

floop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -28
  • the things I do for my fucking friends!
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2010, 01:15:44 PM »
People with office jobs aren't supposed to have big arms. Big arms mean you do man's work for a living.

chicks dig the guns though, bro
"Every time I read one of your shitty posts I wonder why I am wasting my time looking at SLAP."

Omamori

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -128
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2010, 01:19:49 PM »
I used to follow a strict routine but schools stopped that. Here's what I do now:

Mon, Wed, Fri - Legs and abs. NEVER leave out squats. They're a extremely good workout and legs muscles are much better to develop than upper body (excluding abs). Also remember this, the abs are the core of the body. Do you want a core made out of wood or steel? Better developed your abs are the more you can lift (both upper and lower).

Tues, Thurs, Sat - Upper body and run. I've been "forgetting to run", I don't run as much...which is bad. Once Christmas breaks hits I'm going on a strict running schedule. My abs and legs have been losing some muscle.

Sun - Rest, always put at least a day for resting.

And free weights are better than machines. Unless you suffered from an injury in the past, do machine weights...they tend to put less stress on the body. Also isolate the muscles, for example use dumbbells for your biceps rather than using a bar.

And most of all eat healthy. you won't see good results if you neglect your diet. Diet>exercise, always remember that. And the myth of just eating meat to gain muscle is false, eat a huge variety of foods.

Fongstarr.

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2010, 01:28:00 PM »
Lift weights like Stefan and not Torey...haha! That's great. Thanks for the advice. Sounds like a logical routine.  

What do u guys pay for ur gym memberships? Our local community place is 2.25 drop in, but only from 10 pm till midnight twice a week.but it has a nice pool/sauna/hot tub that is included for that price. The hours suck though so I'm lookin for somewhere else currently

Right now I got to 24 Hour Fitness. I actually have a free 3 month pass cause there was a class action lawsuit that passed. Bunch of people that used to go to 24 Hour all got the passes as compensation. But I think since the economy is bad that you can literally go month to month for like $20 a month. My dad did a contract for like 3 years and pays like $9 a month or something like that. And I only go to 24 Hour cause it's on the way home and they actually stay open for 24 hours. I like working out in the evening or at night.

Gym thread? hahahahaha.
How much ya' bench bro?

You want to work out your core or legs? Skateboard. You want to work on your arms? Get a job.

I know this is a skate forum and was pretty surprised to see this post even made but I doubt people on here are working out to look like the Jersey Shore guys. Fuck....I seen some real motherfucker let themselves go in the past couple of years cause they have jobs and are married or have kids. No fucking pride in looking like a pile of shit. I think it's just healthy in general. If you skate as your workout...more power to you. I just can't skate no more and need other things to make myself move.
I'll fuckin
I'll fuckin

Omamori

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -128
« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2010, 01:35:42 PM »
I know this is a skate forum and was pretty surprised to see this post even made but I doubt people on here are working out to look like the Jersey Shore guys. Fuck....I seen some real motherfucker let themselves go in the past couple of years cause they have jobs and are married or have kids. No fucking pride in looking like a pile of shit.
true that. I could never reach the bulk of those Jersey Shore dude, way too fuckin big. I'm pleased with my body, just toned.

I know exatly what you mean. Fuck, even some people I graduated with (2008) are packing on the pounds. I could never let myself, go.

Tom Beens

• Rep: 1
« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2010, 01:52:39 PM »
I had to work out for physical therapy a couple of years ago and I loved it. Nowadays I train 3 or 4 times per week, just lifting, I hate cardio in a gym + skating counts as a really good cardio workout.

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 256
  • tiger style
« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2010, 02:00:24 PM »
god how i wish skating or biking was enough for me to stay lean

the jersey shore guys are juicing, you don't get on some rambo shreddage without juice

the number one reason to work out is skating. my friends i grew up skating with can't skate even if they wanted to these days because they aren't fit enough to. keeping the weight of and keeping your strenght up definitely is essential and if your desk jockey, what esle you going to do?

mcpeepants

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2010, 02:05:54 PM »
still don't understand why some people think exercising is a "bro activity"... what's wrong with getting some extra exercise outside of skating?

Smurph

• Rep: 30
« Reply #24 on: December 03, 2010, 02:31:44 PM »
skating counts as a really good cardio workout.
Even if you push ALOT I would assume that over the years your body just adjusts to that kind of 'exercise' and it's really only putting your heart under minimal strain.

When I was younger I used to play footaball (soccer) and basketball alot and I would have regarded myself as being extremely fit from training, doing laps, beep tests etc. It wasn't until a few years ago when I was playing football (soccer) again that I realised just how unfit I was since dropping all those sports. I think that unless you skate like Busenitz, skateboarding doesn't really test your body as such - there's no discipline and there's shit loads of resting in between dropping in etc.

When was the last time you were breathless from skating?

I got a membership in 04 when I blew my knee out, I was 21.
Shit can be totally gay, and full of douchebags, but if you make the bes tof it, it can be very rewarding.
Tell me about it. It's actually unbearable most of the time. The worst is when they flex in between reps.  :-X
In college we're entitled to use the gym for free but I find it incredibly hard to motivate myself to go simply because the music/jock combination is just too bad.

As for me, this year I've started cycling 6.8 miles a day (according to google maps) I swim when I can. Eat well.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2010, 02:33:58 PM by Smurph »

Tom Beens

« Reply #25 on: December 03, 2010, 02:52:30 PM »
god how i wish skating or biking was enough for me to stay lean

the jersey shore guys are juicing, you don't get on some rambo shreddage without juice

the number one reason to work out is skating. my friends i grew up skating with can't skate even if they wanted to these days because they aren't fit enough to. keeping the weight of and keeping your strenght up definitely is essential and if your desk jockey, what esle you going to do?

You don't need to use steroids to get as big as those guys, I'm pretty big and just eat lots of food, clean food. + I cycle a lot, m not from the states and here it's normal to use bicycles for transport when you don't have to travel really long distances.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2010, 02:54:20 PM by Tom Beens »

Fongstarr.

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #26 on: December 03, 2010, 02:55:49 PM »
^^^^Or buy the Situations DVD.

YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.
I'll fuckin
I'll fuckin

Tom Beens

« Reply #27 on: December 03, 2010, 03:12:10 PM »
Like OMG, that's gonna change my life.

Damn, he's got some serious chickenlegs, poor guy.

Inbred Jed

« Reply #28 on: December 03, 2010, 03:19:15 PM »
Expand Quote
skating counts as a really good cardio workout.
[close]
Even if you push ALOT I would assume that over the years your body just adjusts to that kind of 'exercise' and it's really only putting your heart under minimal strain.

When I was younger I used to play footaball (soccer) and basketball alot and I would have regarded myself as being extremely fit from training, doing laps, beep tests etc. It wasn't until a few years ago when I was playing football (soccer) again that I realised just how unfit I was since dropping all those sports. I think that unless you skate like Busenitz, skateboarding doesn't really test your body as such - there's no discipline and there's shit loads of resting in between dropping in etc.

When was the last time you were breathless from skating?

I skated mostly parks and ramps for years and just recently started going out street skating semi regularly again. Street skating is tough if you're used to skating smooth parks. Pushing around the neighborhood for a few hours takes a a lot out of you.

All Hail Wu Welsh

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 3
« Reply #29 on: December 03, 2010, 03:23:47 PM »
When I'm home from school during winter and summer breaks I work out a ton but when I'm at school I don't do shit and it fuckin sucks.  I'm pretty skiiny with a good metabolism, so its not weight I'm worried about, its my horrible sleeping and no exercise schedule making me feel like shit thats got me worried, and whoever thinks skating is a real good workout is regular.