Author Topic: Fitness/Gym Thread  (Read 37127 times)

Omamori

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -128
Re: Fitness/Gym Thread
« Reply #60 on: December 04, 2010, 09:54:49 AM »
It's not a sport. I'm not saying what you do has to involve being creative, I am saying that fitness should be a reflection of an active lifestyle, not a gym membership. Cool people have other goals and have fitness as a nice side effect. Losers buy gym memberships so they can get muscular for the purpose of their own vanity. I find vanity off-putting.
Still don't agree. I'm not the type of person that's look to reach Arnold's size...I don't desire that. I work out for being healthy, both mentally and psychically. I was getting girls left and right before I started working out, so it wasn't solely for looks. I like developing muscle, I've been fascinated with the human body as a child. And my exercise wouldn't be restricted to a gym, but not everyone has the access to oceans, mountains, etc. And who said being active can't involve a gym? People have their own views.

Mouth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -297
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #61 on: December 04, 2010, 09:58:23 AM »
My regime consists of taking pictures of myself flexing my muscles in my bathroom mirror with my shirt off. I post 30 at a time on facebook four times a week. Never to exhaustion though.
'No Mouth, you have a negative rep because you are a fan of growing your wealth off of the backs of low paid workers and brag about having bodyguards. You literally kook people for doing charity in South East Asia. Don't deny it.'

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 255
  • tiger style
« Reply #62 on: December 04, 2010, 10:02:22 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Go skating you losers.
[close]

Skating with a sprained ankle + lots of snow is kinda hard. And why do some sk8rzz bitch when somebody does more sports than just skating?
[close]
Going to a gym is not a "sport." It's something inactive and uncreative people do to stay fit. I'm down with staying fit, I just do it other ways. I skate, I swim in the ocean, I go on hikes and climb around. If I end up more muscular or less fat, its a nice side effect of living an active life style.
Going to a gym is a pathetic and uncreative way of pretending that you actually live an active lifestyle.

Expand Quote
This is the "If you don't make eye contact it's not gay" version of Dallas' thread.
[close]
Exactly.

And to the guy who said he goes to the gym because he doesn't skate anymore, you are the point that I am proving.  I don't have anything against people who never skated in the first place, but I've said it before, I can not relate to people who used to skate and quit. Those are the most pathetic humans on earth. They have found perfection, and turned away from it.

several people have mentioned jogging, yogga, biking, home gyms, medicine balls, etc... not everyone lives in SF where it's a beautiful city with 70 degree weather or have the room for home gyms. just having a shower at my work changed the options i have for fitness a ton. also not everyone can stay fit with just skating, i know if i could i would't mess with anything else but for me any workout that is fun generally doesn't get the kind of results i need to stay as lean as i like to be. not everyone who works out is a bro and even though bro's have their issues i think there is something to respect in the amount of dedication that it takes to get in good shape regardless of if that's your thing or not. juice heads are cheating and that's always lame but anyone that is doing that shit natural is putting a lot of effort into not being a fat pile of shit.

and as far as guys who work in offices not needing to have any muscle on them, that's just rediculous. my wife and i both find toned physique attractive, why not put in a little work to keep things interesting in your marrage? my marrage is doing pretty good these days so maybe it's not such a bad idea to keep things interesting for your partner by taking care of yourself and fitness is one of the many areas where you can do that.

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -937
  • I own Malibu? I am going to fuck you.
« Reply #63 on: December 04, 2010, 10:26:55 AM »
Expand Quote
It's not a sport. I'm not saying what you do has to involve being creative, I am saying that fitness should be a reflection of an active lifestyle, not a gym membership. Cool people have other goals and have fitness as a nice side effect. Losers buy gym memberships so they can get muscular for the purpose of their own vanity. I find vanity off-putting.
[close]
Still don't agree. I'm not the type of person that's look to reach Arnold's size...I don't desire that. I work out for being healthy, both mentally and psychically. I was getting girls left and right before I started working out, so it wasn't solely for looks. I like developing muscle, I've been fascinated with the human body as a child. And my exercise wouldn't be restricted to a gym, but not everyone has the access to oceans, mountains, etc. And who said being active can't involve a gym? People have their own views.
Even if you don't aspire for Arnold's size, the mere fact of working out just to look good at a gym is vain. And you don't need mountains or an Ocean to stay fit. Go do something. Adults all act as if they are too cool for all sports but working out at a gym. Its fucking pathetic.
Also, kids don't want to work out in gyms or healthclubs. When they want to be active, they play sports, they ride their bikes around the neighborhood, they have snowball fights. Suddenly, puberty comes along, and people want to go to the gym. Tell me that its just a coincidence that nobody gives a fuck about working out like that until they notice the opposite sex. I want to see how far you will take your defense of such an obviously meathead attitude.

But whatever bros, if you are all about the GTL before the club, do your thing fancy boys. Oh, and stop making fun of poor Dallas. He obviously is just a more successful version of the gym bros in here.
Are you a kook? If you would say this, the answer is “YES”
I quit skating for a time due to piling out

ChildoftheGhetto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -1322
  • Nathaniel Turner with a burner
« Reply #64 on: December 04, 2010, 10:30:35 AM »
You do realize that skateboarders are pretty much the only "athletes" that don't hit the gym?

Bobbito

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -14
« Reply #65 on: December 04, 2010, 10:30:55 AM »
Expand Quote
I know this is a skate forum and was pretty surprised to see this post even made but I doubt people on here are working out to look like the Jersey Shore guys. Fuck....I seen some real motherfucker let themselves go in the past couple of years cause they have jobs and are married or have kids. No fucking pride in looking like a pile of shit.
[close]
true that. I could never reach the bulk of those Jersey Shore dude, way too fuckin big. I'm pleased with my body, just toned.

I know exatly what you mean. Fuck, even some people I graduated with (2008) are packing on the pounds. I could never let myself, go.
agreed and agreed. It annoys me how some of my buddies will give me shit and say their bro jokes cause I go to the gym but in the grand scheme of things, why NOT go to the gym or work out in general? You look and feel better and healthier and it's good injury prevention for everyone, including skateboarders (go fucking figure). That's why I love summer so much because you can do some weight lifting in the gym but for everything else, just go outside and skate, hike, swim, kayak, etc etc etc.

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #66 on: December 04, 2010, 10:32:58 AM »
You do realize that skateboarders are pretty much the only "athletes" that don't hit the gym?
You do realize that skateboarders are pretty much the only "athletes" that are cool?

ChildoftheGhetto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -1322
  • Nathaniel Turner with a burner
« Reply #67 on: December 04, 2010, 10:36:24 AM »
Hell no. As a whole skateboarders are one of the lamest groups of people. Basketball players and boxers shit on skateboarders as far as coolness goes.

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #68 on: December 04, 2010, 10:39:42 AM »
Hell no. As a whole skateboarders are one of the lamest groups of people. Basketball players and boxers shit on skateboarders as far as coolness goes.
I'm glad you are backing the gym rats.

Tom Beens

• Rep: 1
« Reply #69 on: December 04, 2010, 10:55:35 AM »
This makes me like COTG.

Going to the gym can even supplement skateboarding, but I guess that is a 'jock' mentallity, so not cool here? What do you guys think about olympic lifting, is that some lame bro shit too?

Bipsmound

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 803
    • Turd Magazine avatar image
« Reply #70 on: December 04, 2010, 10:57:45 AM »
Gipper, I feel you on the workout vanity thing, but there's other benefits to regular exercise.  I imagine a 30 minute workout in the gym is equivalent to an intense multi hour skate sesh.  I doubt most adults sitting at a desk all day have the time to get comparable exercise from leisure activities alone.

But what do I know?  Besides riding my bike, my exercise regiment consists of skating, baseball and bowling, often with beer involved which negates any health benefits/calorie burning.  I guess having fun is more important to me than toned abs.

Omamori

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -128
« Reply #71 on: December 04, 2010, 10:59:52 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Even if you don't aspire for Arnold's size, the mere fact of working out just to look good at a gym is vain. And you don't need mountains or an Ocean to stay fit. Go do something. Adults all act as if they are too cool for all sports but working out at a gym. Its fucking pathetic.
Also, kids don't want to work out in gyms or healthclubs. When they want to be active, they play sports, they ride their bikes around the neighborhood, they have snowball fights. Suddenly, puberty comes along, and people want to go to the gym. Tell me that its just a coincidence that nobody gives a fuck about working out like that until they notice the opposite sex. I want to see how far you will take your defense of such an obviously meathead attitude.But whatever bros, if you are all about the GTL before the club, do your thing fancy boys. Oh, and stop making fun of poor Dallas. He obviously is just a more successful version of the gym bros in here.
I'm far from being vain. I don't want to look good for others, just myself, but like I mention before it's not the main reason why I go to the gym. Notice I put etc. at the end. That means sports hiking trails etc. I hate playing sports excluding dodge ball and soccer...I'm also interested in martial arts. But that's something I really don't want to do right now, I'm happy just lifting weights and running. The reason why kids start working out a little after puberty is because their bodies are not meant for lifting at a young age. I wouldn't let my child left weights (if it was their choice) until their freshman year in high school. Lol, tanning and taking your laundry to a cleaner is lame. I've seen the ugliness tanning brings to the body after years (if I get a tan because I don't wear sun screen that's a different story). And I'm far from having the meat head mentality, I don't flex, post pics of my body or moan when I'm lifting. My view on exercising is enjoying an activity and staying healthy.

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1474
  • Illusion Flip
« Reply #72 on: December 04, 2010, 11:59:26 AM »
Mens sana in corpore sano

I also have to be fit if I plan to stay in the Navy.  Physical fitness is beginning to play a bigger role in retention and advancement in my career field so that's one big reason for me to keep up with my workouts.  As a command fitness leader, I am actively engaged in trying to slim down the fatties in my command.  People are getting turned down for promotions and reenlistment due to being out of the regulated weight requirements.

I used to be the worst pile in college.  Along with partying nightly, I would pretty much be at the buffet or eating fast food in excess.  I never really got interested in being fit until I had my first kid.  I've had to make a lot of lifestyle changes so I can be an active participant in my children's lives instead of being a pile on the couch.  One thing I've noticed is a lot of my friends from high school are really fucking fat now. 

Commercial D

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -670
« Reply #73 on: December 04, 2010, 12:17:30 PM »
This is the "If you don't make eye contact it's not gay" version of Dallas' thread.

It wasn't my thread--I didn't start it. Just hijacked it unintentionally.  8)

Oh yeah as for cardio, I just walk and skate. If you skate hard (repeatedly running and throwing down, going for multiple tricks in a row, you know how it's done) you'll get in the cardio target zone. If I had a bicycle I might do that sometimes, but I'm not really into it. Exercise bike is the most boring thing I could imagine.

One thing I've noticed is a lot of my friends from high school are really fucking fat now. 
Skate videos have been downhill ever since 411VM #20

Smurph

• Rep: 30
« Reply #74 on: December 04, 2010, 01:07:42 PM »
I was getting girls left and right before I started working out

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #75 on: December 04, 2010, 01:14:00 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

It wasn't my thread--I didn't start it. Just hijacked it unintentionally.  8)

Oh yeah as for cardio, I just walk and skate. If you skate hard (repeatedly running and throwing down, going for multiple tricks in a row, you know how it's done) you'll get in the cardio target zone. If I had a bicycle I might do that sometimes, but I'm not really into it. Exercise bike is the most boring thing I could imagine.

Expand Quote
One thing I've noticed is a lot of my friends from high school are really fucking fat now. 
[close]

Dude, I made a thread about conspiracy theories- Where the fuck were you?!

bndla

• Rep: -14
« Reply #76 on: December 04, 2010, 01:28:32 PM »

Agreed! If im not skating I rather hang out with people that don't skateboard. Most of the skateboarders are so regular.

And going to gym is not a sport? Wtf.. Running, lifting weights.. I consider it a sport

Lenny the Fatface

« Reply #77 on: December 04, 2010, 01:31:00 PM »
As fat as Americans are, any type of exercise should be more than welcomed.

illmatic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 22
  • g'd up from the feet up
« Reply #78 on: December 04, 2010, 02:03:45 PM »
i thought it was kinda weird when i read about reese forbes was doing some training for the highest ollie comp...but...

ten + years later, after a decade of never letting my injuries heal properly and knee surgery not too long ago, i perplexes me to see all these fragile motherfuckers jump down a millions of stairs without regard to their body. skaterboarders are some of the smallest dudes you'll ever meet (no homo), add that with daily jarring impact of street skating...that's probably not gonna feel too good down the road.

physical activity + regimen...just sayin'
ugh, thanks rupert, I have been looking for the adio myspace website for quite some time...

grimcity

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2219
  • computer says no
« Reply #79 on: December 04, 2010, 02:53:26 PM »
I lift weights and kick/punch around on a heavy bag here at my house... as one of the aforementioned office workers, it's not so much a question of needing big muscles, it's a matter of not turning into a pile of shit. I go more for reps, and honestly, as a pack-a-day smoker I can skate all day until I puke, which happens sometimes. I can't always supplement my ass in the chair time with skating (like Sleazy mentioned) but I can always go outside onto my back porch, rain or shine.

Not to mention, having had a ruptured disc, fucked up ankles, and knee surgery, working out whatever muscles I have in those areas helps. Also, when I look at the other 35 year old geeks I work with, I'm confident that I can take a good slam better than just about anyone in my office (or pretty much every mid 30's non skater I know). Most of that's because of skating, but being active when I can't roll helps. All that shit helps.

I very much want to be a skater when I'm much older than I am... I don't see the big deal with working out and trying to improve yourself physically if you can.

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • tiger style
« Reply #80 on: December 04, 2010, 03:42:24 PM »
how long you been working with the bags? i was thinking about getting a heavy bag and speed bag. seems like a fun way to burn some calories but wasn't sure if it got boring quick. you work through routines on them or just freestyle?

someone also told me bow flex was pretty good for home gym. anyone tried one? seems cool because it's light and portable.

Commercial D

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -670
« Reply #81 on: December 04, 2010, 04:09:41 PM »
someone also told me bow flex was pretty good for home gym. anyone tried one? seems cool because it's light and portable.

Just get a barbell, a pair of dumbells and as much metal weight as you can find. Find a bench off craigslist for $20 or so.

Deadlifts work a greater number of muscles in tandem than any other lift but this is one of the best compound movements you can do:

YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.

Skate videos have been downhill ever since 411VM #20

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Illusion Flip
« Reply #82 on: December 04, 2010, 04:15:46 PM »
Exercise bike is the most boring thing I could imagine.
I have it set up in my garage with a 32" flatscreen mounted in front of it with a media box and a couple hard drives worth of movies, documentaries, and skate videos.  As boring as it may seem, l catch up to some of the tv shows like simpsons, walking dead, etc.  or whatever while I'm doing it.  Also, 145-160 heatrate isn't all that hard to keep up.  I just set the resistance to the highest setting and occasionally sprint at intervals.  Depending on my mood, I'll do 20 minute intervals broken up with free weights.  Before I know it, I'm done and it really doesn't bum me out like the gyms on base where they have CNN, FOX news, or ESPN playing on the screens and I can watch harsh adult programs without my kids being exposed to it since it's not age appropriate for a 2 and 6 year old.

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • tiger style
« Reply #83 on: December 04, 2010, 04:47:04 PM »
that makes a lot of sense. i took a slightly different route and got one of these

figuring i could take the kids for a jog with me but i like the angle of being able to catch up on non-kid\wife friendly shows while knocking out cardio. seems gnarly to hook all that up though.

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Illusion Flip
« Reply #84 on: December 04, 2010, 05:08:43 PM »
All you need is an external hard drive, hdmi cable, and one of these for the media player portion:

Asus O!play

I got the omni mount to wall mount my flatscreen from amazon for $30 new (normally priced at $130)
http://www.amazon.com/Omnimount-4N1-M-Medium-Cantilever-WorldMount/dp/B000IBO4M6/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1291511114&sr=8-13

Not hard at all.  Set up in one day.

I do have a jogging stroller (actually I have 3 different jogging strollers, I make fun of my wife for her stroller collection).  Too many hills and not enough sidewalk where I live.

Inanimate Object

« Reply #85 on: December 04, 2010, 05:40:25 PM »
There's no way you can stay at an appreciable fitness level just by "living an active lifestyle" unless: 1. You're an aging baby boomer woman trying to stave off the menopause or 2. your "active lifestyle" involves competitive logging.  I go to the gym because it fights stress, it's good for my overall health, and if by chance I encounter a bear, I might be able to wrestle it to the ground.

Stephen King Kong

« Reply #86 on: December 04, 2010, 05:44:45 PM »
I love working out.  I don't know any other skateboarders that workout but there is no reason you can't do both.  I skate everyday and go to the gym 5 or 6 times a week.

Prison Wallet

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 510
  • I'm gonna break my leg off in your ass
« Reply #87 on: December 04, 2010, 06:50:30 PM »
My only fitness goal is to be the old guy who's grip commands respect. That grown man strength you can't get in a gym. I'm about half way done with a 60' stone masonry wall that hopefully has me well on my way.

smokecrack

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -160
« Reply #88 on: December 04, 2010, 06:55:18 PM »
oh shit, SLAP's workin on it's fitness!!

even my kittie's on the right track!!

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #89 on: December 04, 2010, 07:56:35 PM »
My only fitness goal is to be the old guy who's grip commands respect. That grown man strength you can't get in a gym. I'm about half way done with a 60' stone masonry wall that hopefully has me well on my way.
This is a real man.
All of you saying you can't stay fit by living an active lifestyle are fucking fooling yourself. The gym is a way of living an active lifestyle, just a really, really, really, uncreative way of doing so. Only a complete fucking dumbass would think that it is anything different.

All of you saying skateboarding isn't exercise are pussies who don't know how to charge a spot, or push around between spots. A day out skating for like 6 hours where you actually push the entire time is exhausting. Same with skating a bowl all day, that shit works out your stomache like nothing else. Crazy thing about it too, you aren't even worrying about how you look or how many reps you have left. You are focused on the intrinsic value of the activity.

That's what it all comes down to- why are you doing what you are doing? Does it have an intrinsic value? Fucking doing anything extrinsic.