Author Topic: Fitness/Gym Thread  (Read 37124 times)

Sleazy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 255
  • tiger style
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: Fitness/Gym Thread
« Reply #300 on: May 27, 2020, 06:11:39 PM »
This morning I got my best 5k since I started running 3 weeks ago. Started on May 4th at 29:21 and now at 26:13 this morning.

Feels good to see progress.

that's a good time man, congrats

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1566
« Reply #301 on: May 27, 2020, 11:33:41 PM »
Yeah, sick....I find using one of those apps helps a lot letting you know how far you've gone and your time....

FappleDapple

• Rep: 0
« Reply #302 on: May 29, 2020, 10:03:39 AM »
Ummm hey I’m kinda noob to this forum so forgive me if this has been asked before.

What are some exercises to help keep your feet landing on the bolts every time?

Mog

• Rep: -166
« Reply #303 on: May 29, 2020, 10:10:03 AM »
Ummm hey I’m kinda noob to this forum so forgive me if this has been asked before.

What are some exercises to help keep your feet landing on the bolts every time?

following the G code

Ordered pre-owned t shirts online that are kinda sick (2 Simpsons tees, Joy Division and Cro-Mags tees, and a shirt with a native american girl staring into flames) . I usually wear flannels so my t-shirt game w

whale

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 199
« Reply #304 on: August 03, 2022, 08:10:34 AM »
Sooo… started running again a few weeks so I bought an apple watch to keep track of distance/speed etc.
I also use it when cycling to work and skating.
It’s raining rn so I browsed some workouts on my phone.
 I skated a couple hrs yesterday and according to my phone I burned about 1300 kcal during that time! A fifteen minute run burns about 200, riding my bike to work a 100.
Is this possible?
Does anybody else track their skating?
What kind of readings do you get?

apport

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 282
« Reply #305 on: August 03, 2022, 08:47:30 AM »
Sooo… started running again a few weeks so I bought an apple watch to keep track of distance/speed etc.
 I skated a couple hrs yesterday and according to my phone I burned about 1300 kcal during that time! A fifteen minute run burns about 200, riding my bike to work a 100.
Is this possible?
last time i skated it was for 30 minutes and i burned almost 400 calories, compared to cycling i’d have to ride like 8+ miles to get close to that. skating keeps my heart rate consistently higher for longer.

KoRnholio8

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1466
  • SkateMagArchive
    • SkateMagArchive avatar image
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #306 on: August 03, 2022, 01:28:35 PM »
Fitness trackers are notoriously bad at estimating burned calories and an irregular activity like skateboarding would probably confuse the fuck out of the algorithm. My Garmin uses HR to estimate my calories burned during skateboarding and my HR is very low unless it is hot as fuck and therefore I burn almost no calories skateboarding ...

igrindtwinkies

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 367
« Reply #307 on: August 03, 2022, 02:00:49 PM »
I'd think if you had something that's tracking your heart rate it'd be semi-accurate, but if it's just tracking your speed and thinks you are running 15 mph than it's obviously not going to be accurate.

whale

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 199
« Reply #308 on: August 03, 2022, 02:33:41 PM »
Nah it does monitor my HR, not sure how accurately since it’s from the wrist. I do get a pretty high heartrate coz I pretty much skate nonstop, and try to do as long lines as possible.
When I set it up for skateboarding it said something along the lines of it being comparable to mild jogging, so the numbers really confuse me.
Maybe it’s bullshit, maybe not.

Abyss1

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 141
« Reply #309 on: August 03, 2022, 04:21:04 PM »
Expand Quote
Is this possible?
[close]
last time i skated it was for 30 minutes and i burned almost 400 calories, compared to cycling i’d have to ride like 8+ miles to get close to that. skating keeps my heart rate consistently higher for longer.

Last skate session was 45 min, was just doing basic pool carves, and coping stalls, very little breaks in between.  484 cal burned.  I get the same for a 45 min workout on the stationary bike

apport

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 282
« Reply #310 on: August 03, 2022, 09:33:26 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Is this possible?
[close]
[close]

Last skate session was 45 min, was just doing basic pool carves, and coping stalls, very little breaks in between.  484 cal burned.  I get the same for a 45 min workout on the stationary bike
stationary is different since you’re constantly pedaling, i have a trainer and average like 160/bpm heart rate when i’m cycling on that, but when i’m actually riding around it’s way less and why i burn like 100 cals in 3 miles

Abyss1

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #311 on: August 04, 2022, 10:45:28 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Is this possible?
[close]
[close]

[close]
stationary is different since you’re constantly pedaling, i have a trainer and average like 160/bpm heart rate when i’m cycling on that, but when i’m actually riding around it’s way less and why i burn like 100 cals in 3 miles

not really if your changing the bike tension throughout, also the peloton bike is pretty good with the apple watch sync, i tend to assume the values are good enough since im not training for Tour de France. 

DISTANT RUMOURS

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 394
« Reply #312 on: August 12, 2022, 12:42:25 PM »

igrindtwinkies

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 367
« Reply #313 on: August 14, 2022, 04:16:22 AM »
Been trying to exercise everyday, bit of lifting, cycling, running, and skating.  Been gaining weight lately.  A few pounds is probably muscle, but I think I just eat way more when I'm exercising alot.  Bleh, still in far better shape than most 30 year olds I know.

S.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 63
    • Fotos avatar image
« Reply #314 on: August 14, 2022, 11:27:38 AM »
Been trying to exercise everyday, bit of lifting, cycling, running, and skating.  Been gaining weight lately.  A few pounds is probably muscle, but I think I just eat way more when I'm exercising alot.  Bleh, still in far better shape than most 30 year olds I know.

It is similar for me. If I work out I gain mass really quickly. I am naturally a bigger person. I just had knee surgery and I am thinking about joining a gym for rehab. I will lift some weights and maybe do some classes like Pilates or functional fitness. Anyone have any advice for that? How should I train to get stronger without getting bigger?

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 937
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #315 on: August 14, 2022, 11:40:48 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

It is similar for me. If I work out I gain mass really quickly. I am naturally a bigger person. I just had knee surgery and I am thinking about joining a gym for rehab. I will lift some weights and maybe do some classes like Pilates or functional fitness. Anyone have any advice for that? How should I train to get stronger without getting bigger?

Well, getting stronger requires you do damage your muscle fibers, that means lifting heavy...resulting in getting bigger.

Use light weights with higher reps, you'll some gain str but get toned vs bulking by tossing heavy weights around.  Eat more protein, less shit, maybe even go for a caloric deficit and throw in some Yoga for str. and flexibility.

S.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 63
    • Fotos avatar image
« Reply #316 on: August 14, 2022, 12:16:46 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Well, getting stronger requires you do damage your muscle fibers, that means lifting heavy...resulting in getting bigger.

Use light weights with higher reps, you'll some gain str but get toned vs bulking by tossing heavy weights around.  Eat more protein, less shit, maybe even go for a caloric deficit and throw in some Yoga for str. and flexibility.

I have been doing body weight stuff only during Covid and I got stronger, but also heavier. I am 6 foot tall and weigh about 195. I figure that‘a a little bit to heavy for skating considering my joints aren’t all that good anymore. I don‘t have much fat to loose, though.
I guess I will do core stuff. I will slowly increase weight for my legs as I recover from surgery and I will take it easy with exercises for the upper body.
I have been doing cardio exercises all my life, like skateboarding, running and cycling, but I think I am naturally a weight lifter or football player…

Abyss1

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #317 on: August 14, 2022, 02:20:59 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Ive heard it go both ways for building muscle with weights,  used to dig into bro-science and seen bodybuilding dudes say hit lightweight hi-rep sets and heavyweight lo-rep sets.

Just need that feeling of being unable to lift them shits anymore and to push past that pain threshold to shock your muscles into growth I guess

Also body type and calorie-nutrition tracking

L33Tg33k

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 701
  • F.A.P. - Forever Alone Party
« Reply #318 on: August 25, 2022, 04:12:57 PM »
I wonder how much women care about the physical fitness of men. Don’t worry, I’m not going to start working out or some crazy bullshit, but I can’t help but wonder how important it is to them.
Before you say the music sucked, have you considered shutting the fuck up?

Abyss1

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #319 on: August 25, 2022, 04:50:04 PM »
I wonder how much women care about the physical fitness of men. Don’t worry, I’m not going to start working out or some crazy bullshit, but I can’t help but wonder how important it is to them.

Men in general, i doubt it, but they probably care about the men closest to them personally

Bror

• Rep: 23
« Reply #320 on: December 19, 2022, 03:07:53 AM »
Anyone tried plyometrics for increasing pop and overall elasticity? My pop sucks as I dont bring my legs up to my chest enough.

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 255
  • tiger style
« Reply #321 on: December 19, 2022, 09:05:37 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Is this possible?
[close]
[close]

[close]
[close]

not really if your changing the bike tension throughout, also the peloton bike is pretty good with the apple watch sync, i tend to assume the values are good enough since im not training for Tour de France.

i've been tracking workouts including skating for ages with different type of HR setups. most recently i just use my garmin fenix 7 which has HR but i used to use a chest strap. for me:

skating 1 hour = 400=800 calories. it varies hugely on how much i'm feeling it. if i'm trying to learn a new street trick that requires a lot of speed or working on a line then i'll burn a lot. if i'm just dorking around on the 2' qp at house and talking shit with the other old guys, then not so much.

Jogging 30 mins = 450ish calories

Mountain biking for an hour = 700-1000 calories depending on if i'm doing a lot of climbing or messing around trying jumps or trying to film something

weight lifting 1 hour = 450 ish calories

paddle boarding for an hour = 600-700 calories

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1888
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #322 on: December 19, 2022, 07:40:51 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Is this possible?
[close]
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

i've been tracking workouts including skating for ages with different type of HR setups. most recently i just use my garmin fenix 7 which has HR but i used to use a chest strap. for me:

skating 1 hour = 400=800 calories. it varies hugely on how much i'm feeling it. if i'm trying to learn a new street trick that requires a lot of speed or working on a line then i'll burn a lot. if i'm just dorking around on the 2' qp at house and talking shit with the other old guys, then not so much.

Sounds about right, I've been wanting to get a cheaper smart watch with HR monitoring to test this out. A friend skates with his and he does around 800 - 1200 calories over the 2 hour session. Tropical heat and humidity.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

L33Tg33k

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 701
  • F.A.P. - Forever Alone Party
« Reply #323 on: December 20, 2022, 01:07:43 PM »
Anyone got the calorie expenditure of walking? I walk easily 12+ miles a day and I’m still a butterball.
Before you say the music sucked, have you considered shutting the fuck up?

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1888
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #324 on: December 20, 2022, 07:09:40 PM »
Anyone got the calorie expenditure of walking? I walk easily 12+ miles a day and I’m still a butterball.

https://www.verywellfit.com/walking-calories-burned-by-miles-3887154

It ranges from pace, heart rate and steepness.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

KoRnholio8

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1466
  • SkateMagArchive
    • SkateMagArchive avatar image
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #325 on: December 20, 2022, 10:55:59 PM »
try rucking instead of walking and do it at a fast pace

DISTANT RUMOURS

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 394
« Reply #326 on: January 18, 2023, 03:34:01 AM »
https://www.instagram.com/p/CnjFa9ytxcx/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

40 years old. Vegetarian since I was 15.

Supplements: creatine and whey protein.

landedprimo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -30
  • Become Pneuma
« Reply #327 on: January 18, 2023, 03:42:11 AM »
https://www.instagram.com/p/CnjFa9ytxcx/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

40 years old. Vegetarian since I was 15.

Supplements: creatine and whey protein.

Looking good, my friend. Would have never guessed you're 40.
I don’t care what anyone says, a tit mouse’s tibia is a thing of beauty.
The streets await

pugmaster

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1536
  • Overweight and Underprepared
« Reply #328 on: January 18, 2023, 10:45:45 AM »
Looking diesel @DISTANT RUMOURS ! Motivating stuff
"...We got the nuclear worm over here..."

Never forget:
Rusty_Berrings, 360 frip, Yapple Dapple, Bubblegum Tate

chronicbackpain

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 157
« Reply #329 on: March 05, 2023, 06:18:52 AM »
I recently lost 25 pounds and am getting back into shape. My schedule only allows me to work out on Saturday/Sunday, if I get a gym membership, so I ordered a 25-pound kettlebell. Does anyone have any experience or recommendations? I’m probably going to do a combination of calisthenics, kettlebell exercises, and HIIT running for an hour every other day…probably skate for 3-4 hours per day on the off days.