Author Topic: Fitness/Gym Thread  (Read 37126 times)

Chhow

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 0
Re: Fitness/Gym Thread
« Reply #330 on: March 06, 2023, 07:41:49 PM »
I try to go to the gym twice a week to exercise with coach because I have back problems that I can only solve with exercise. I can't calculate how many calories it burns because fitness trackers aren't very accurate for that. In my spare time I prefer to skateboard, if I meet with friends we can do something active, for example, play ping-pong with joola.
I noticed that after physical activity I really feel better.
I won't recommend any specific exercise because I can't guarantee it will affect you the way it did me.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2023, 05:33:23 AM by Chhow »

KoRnholio8

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1466
  • SkateMagArchive
    • SkateMagArchive avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #331 on: March 06, 2023, 11:08:27 PM »
my wife came back from the chiropractor and he told her she will have to do deadlifts and other exercises if she does not want to have back pain because of her height. so now we are slowly building our home gym, now that we have the space for it.

with unilateral exercises I've found out that my right leg/butt are less developed and it makes sense now how I could have the same pop riding switch all this time (I choose my non-dominant leg when I started skating)

also it feels like a lot of my skateboarding limitations could have been overcome by exercising more and addressing the muscles weaknesses/imbalances when I was in my twenties. also maybe taking some days off to recover from longer sessions etc.

sometimeperhaps

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 142
« Reply #332 on: March 07, 2023, 04:40:20 AM »
I recently lost 25 pounds and am getting back into shape. My schedule only allows me to work out on Saturday/Sunday, if I get a gym membership, so I ordered a 25-pound kettlebell. Does anyone have any experience or recommendations? I’m probably going to do a combination of calisthenics, kettlebell exercises, and HIIT running for an hour every other day…probably skate for 3-4 hours per day on the off days.

I’m far from an expert but with kettle bells I enjoyed Simple and Sinister when starting out. Good overall resource to get you going and it doesn’t overwhelm you with info. I’ve also been into what @ericdoeskettlebell on Instagram. He sells training which you might be into but also posts sets of work outs. I just grab what I’m interested in from there. Also found @flolyfe pretty hood.

For calisthenics I really like hybrid calisthenics on YouTube. Simple to the point and positive videos. They also have this site with free workout plans. https://www.hybridcalisthenics.com/routine

Congrats on the weight loss, keep it up.

BallDontLie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 672
« Reply #333 on: March 07, 2023, 07:39:25 AM »
I really enjoy hybrid calisthenics’ content… seems like a great kid.
if the mods were wu-tang, dean would be cappadonna

sometimeperhaps

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #334 on: March 07, 2023, 08:27:59 AM »
I really enjoy hybrid calisthenics’ content… seems like a great kid.

He seems really genuine and doing it for the love. It’s nice to find content now and again where the creator isn’t in it to get rich and famous.

GrayCellGreen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 270
« Reply #335 on: March 07, 2023, 09:06:58 AM »
I recently lost 25 pounds and am getting back into shape. My schedule only allows me to work out on Saturday/Sunday, if I get a gym membership, so I ordered a 25-pound kettlebell. Does anyone have any experience or recommendations? I’m probably going to do a combination of calisthenics, kettlebell exercises, and HIIT running for an hour every other day…probably skate for 3-4 hours per day on the off days.

I have lower back issues and my chiropractor recommended these to strengthen my lower back and core:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSxHifyI6s8

I use a 25lb kettlebell for them. I'm personally a fan of jump roping over running, mainly because running is harsher on the knees over time. I like to use a weighted jump rope. I use a 1lb rope and do 2 5 minute sets after my arm workouts that I typically do twice a week. I'll do a few 5 minute jump roping sets on my rest days or right before heading out to hit the park. About a year ago, my skate sessions used to only run about 2 hours max and I would be absolutely gassed. Now I can easily go 3 to 4 hours after starting this routine about 6 months ago.

If you don't already have a 1lb rope, I recommend this one:

https://www.amazon.com/Redify-Weighted-Tangle-Free-Weight-loss-Adjustable/dp/B08RB46DBY/ref=sr_1_5?keywords=weighted+jump+rope&qid=1678208696&sprefix=weighted+jump%2Caps%2C162&sr=8-5

chronicbackpain

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 156
« Reply #336 on: March 07, 2023, 11:23:48 AM »
Thanks for the recommendations, @sometimeperhaps & @GrayCellGreen. I’m going to incorporate those exercises into my routine.

Abyss1

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 141
« Reply #337 on: March 07, 2023, 11:53:43 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I have lower back issues and my chiropractor recommended these to strengthen my lower back and core:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSxHifyI6s8

I use a 25lb kettlebell for them. I'm personally a fan of jump roping over running, mainly because running is harsher on the knees over time. I like to use a weighted jump rope. I use a 1lb rope and do 2 5 minute sets after my arm workouts that I typically do twice a week. I'll do a few 5 minute jump roping sets on my rest days or right before heading out to hit the park. About a year ago, my skate sessions used to only run about 2 hours max and I would be absolutely gassed. Now I can easily go 3 to 4 hours after starting this routine about 6 months ago.

If you don't already have a 1lb rope, I recommend this one:

https://www.amazon.com/Redify-Weighted-Tangle-Free-Weight-loss-Adjustable/dp/B08RB46DBY/ref=sr_1_5?keywords=weighted+jump+rope&qid=1678208696&sprefix=weighted+jump%2Caps%2C162&sr=8-5

Hell yeah Slap Pals are getting into jump ropes and kettle bells!  I got a 30lb and 50lb and use them quite regularly
This shit was on my amazon prime and I still use a lot of the routines

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKx8xE8jJZs

For Calisthenics, I usually just hit the 100 pushups and squats, and try to max my pull ups everyday.
This was also on my amazon prime and use these routines
https://www.amazon.com/Convict-Conditioning-1-Prison-Pushup/dp/B07MXQSVL4/ref=atv_pr_sw_sc

sometimeperhaps

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #338 on: March 07, 2023, 12:07:57 PM »
For motivation I like watching this video. Start with what you have, do what you can.

https://youtu.be/PS93vUty_mQ

goingapelikenigo

• Rep: 89
  • please don't be a hero
« Reply #339 on: March 23, 2023, 02:34:02 AM »
Anyone subscribed to the Old Friends Fitness website or patreon?
I'm considering it and wondering if anyone has had any experience with it. :)

Bror

• Rep: 23
« Reply #340 on: March 24, 2023, 01:51:47 AM »
Any of you guys train to up your skating? Just started going to the gym 2 months ago and thinking about how I can help my skating with it.

Going to start plyometrics to get some better pop but haven't had the energy to set up a protocol yet

KoRnholio8

• SLAP Pal
  • SkateMagArchive
« Reply #341 on: March 24, 2023, 02:54:28 AM »
https://www.thedailypush.com/ could be good resource?

one curious tidbit I learned so far from consuming a lot of random fitness advice is that if you work on your strength (for example barbell squats) and overload yourself for growth, this can affect your explosive power for a few days after

you'd probably need to explain more about your activity routine and your goals, but one thing that I would advice every skateboarder is to do additional work on your core/abs and upper body, just not bulking much. and adding rest days to your week, so that you can actually skate powerfully when you do

goingapelikenigo

• Rep: 89
  • please don't be a hero
« Reply #342 on: March 24, 2023, 05:34:02 AM »

one curious tidbit I learned so far from consuming a lot of random fitness advice is that if you work on your strength (for example barbell squats) and overload yourself for growth, this can affect your explosive power for a few days after

you'd probably need to explain more about your activity routine and your goals, but one thing that I would advice every skateboarder is to do additional work on your core/abs and upper body, just not bulking much. and adding rest days to your week, so that you can actually skate powerfully when you do
How many rest days do you do?
Rest days are something that I've always been bad at, when I DO take a rest day it's usually something like "i'll take it easy skating today" so do you just chill all day then or just some light workout?

KoRnholio8

• SLAP Pal
  • SkateMagArchive
« Reply #343 on: March 24, 2023, 06:44:30 AM »
don't take my word for it, since I am now way too into adult life to have regular skate sessions, but when I did skate all the time I literally never took a day off. but I can see it now in hindsight, that not giving my legs the time to rest slowed me down for sure. I think it would be best to use a regular rest day or two per week for an upper body gym session

BallDontLie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 672
« Reply #344 on: March 24, 2023, 06:55:19 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
Rest days are something that I've always been bad at, when I DO take a rest day it's usually something like "i'll take it easy skating today" so do you just chill all day then or just some light workout?

This is what i have to figure it out. proper rest days… i walk 10k steps at work (so Fitbit says lol) and it’s a pretty physically demanding job. I gotta few weights in my garage so I’ve been lifting when i have the energy… usually only 3 sets of ten on 3-4 different exercises is all i can gas out…
if the mods were wu-tang, dean would be cappadonna

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1888
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #345 on: March 24, 2023, 07:36:53 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

(bro science here) But it depends on a lot of factors
- how intense was your work out and which part did you do the most work on?
- how is your diet?
- do you sleep enough?
- how often do you work out and skate?
- what are you skating?
- are you taking supplements / protein shakes / recovery drinks?
- do you stretch thoroughly before and after workouts?

If I do a light run in the evening, I'm usually good to skate the next day evening, so minimum 12-16 hour rest in between, and I'm an office drone so I get lots of sitting time. The only way is to try it out and if like your skate sessions are negatively impacted then tone down the intensity or give yourself more rest. You'll develop a rhythm eventually.

Over time your legs will get conditioned to a heavier load for both workouts and skating, but it's still important not to overexert yourself, that's long term injuries are sustained.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

S.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 63
    • Fotos avatar image
« Reply #346 on: March 24, 2023, 08:56:14 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

(bro science here) But it depends on a lot of factors
- how intense was your work out and which part did you do the most work on?
- how is your diet?
- do you sleep enough?
- how often do you work out and skate?
- what are you skating?
- are you taking supplements / protein shakes / recovery drinks?
- do you stretch thoroughly before and after workouts?

If I do a light run in the evening, I'm usually good to skate the next day evening, so minimum 12-16 hour rest in between, and I'm an office drone so I get lots of sitting time. The only way is to try it out and if like your skate sessions are negatively impacted then tone down the intensity or give yourself more rest. You'll develop a rhythm eventually.

Over time your legs will get conditioned to a heavier load for both workouts and skating, but it's still important not to overexert yourself, that's long term injuries are sustained.

I find a real rest day can do wonders for skateboarding especially once you are 30+ years old. For me this means doing no more than 40 minutes of light cycling or a a relaxed walk around the block. Try it!

Sila

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 320
  • Jamu Gost
« Reply #347 on: March 24, 2023, 06:18:05 PM »
Rest days should really mean rest. Do foam rolling/massage ball stuff and light exercise to get the blood flowing. But skating and clanging your joints around is not resting, neither is an extra upper body workout like someone else suggested lol. Better off seeing a sports physio to get your needs dialed in.

DISTANT RUMOURS

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 394
« Reply #348 on: April 14, 2023, 03:27:20 PM »
https://www.instagram.com/p/Cq3G_VDtPfS/?igshid=MDJmNzVkMjY=

Leaning out for summer.

40 years old, and I was always into martial arts/weightlifting.

The only supplements I really trust are whey and creatine.

I train my upper body twice a week and legs once (torn meniscus so I have to be careful).
« Last Edit: April 14, 2023, 03:51:35 PM by DISTANT RUMOURS »

sexualhelon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 19
  • I'm an ardent supporter of futile causes.
    • Lurkaround avatar image
« Reply #349 on: April 21, 2023, 02:50:48 AM »
Hoping someone can maybe offer me some tips on getting into the fitness groove here.

I'm a naturally skinny person with some definition, in pretty decent shape. I think the hardest thing for me is figuring out the diet - it seems like I'm never hungry enough to eat the amount of food necessary for me to gain weight - probably in general. It's also damn near impossible for me to not do a shit ton of cardio - cycling, skating, and swimming.

I feel like doing some weight training would benefit me health wise though. I hate going to the gym - just usually not my vibe but maybe I should get over it. If I could figure out some good home training exercises I'd probably be more inclined to stick with a routine. I guess with the gym I also am not quite sure what workout(s)/routine to start with so I'd just be wandering around trying to figure machines out.

Sila

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 320
  • Jamu Gost
« Reply #350 on: April 21, 2023, 03:16:59 AM »
Hoping someone can maybe offer me some tips on getting into the fitness groove here.

I'm a naturally skinny person with some definition, in pretty decent shape. I think the hardest thing for me is figuring out the diet - it seems like I'm never hungry enough to eat the amount of food necessary for me to gain weight - probably in general. It's also damn near impossible for me to not do a shit ton of cardio - cycling, skating, and swimming.

I feel like doing some weight training would benefit me health wise though. I hate going to the gym - just usually not my vibe but maybe I should get over it. If I could figure out some good home training exercises I'd probably be more inclined to stick with a routine. I guess with the gym I also am not quite sure what workout(s)/routine to start with so I'd just be wandering around trying to figure machines out.

If the gym is too boring for you maybe you could try climbing if there's climbing walls or a climbing gym near you? You'd work your whole body more than regular cardio exercise and it will def build some muscle if you get you're diet dialled in. If you do heaps of cardio but don't eat a fuckton then you're just going to stay lean or even lose muscle. I'm naturally skinny too and started getting more food into me by eating stuff like peanut butter more often and making oat/protein smoothies to have a few times a day. The body gets used to it and naturally you'll crave more food throughout the day.

sexualhelon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 19
  • I'm an ardent supporter of futile causes.
    • Lurkaround avatar image
« Reply #351 on: April 21, 2023, 04:04:50 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

If the gym is too boring for you maybe you could try climbing if there's climbing walls or a climbing gym near you? You'd work your whole body more than regular cardio exercise and it will def build some muscle if you get you're diet dialled in. If you do heaps of cardio but don't eat a fuckton then you're just going to stay lean or even lose muscle. I'm naturally skinny too and started getting more food into me by eating stuff like peanut butter more often and making oat/protein smoothies to have a few times a day. The body gets used to it and naturally you'll crave more food throughout the day.

I actually got pretty into climbing over my first/second winter when I was living in Berlin. Skating in the winter wasn't really practical. But, yeah, maybe I'll try to get back into climbing - I still have all my gear. Def need to incorporate some protein/smoothies into my diet. Maybe I'll try to do plan my meals for a week - do some meal prep - to get a better idea of what I need in my diet.

steezenking

• Rep: 12
« Reply #352 on: April 21, 2023, 05:46:03 AM »
Im struggling to find time for all my "active" activities and basically am just going to have to cut it down to lifting and skating. I just don't have time to run for an hour or routinely commit time to muay thai. Plus skating is always number 1 so I don't want to be too sore for that. Having a job sucks.

KoRnholio8

• SLAP Pal
  • SkateMagArchive
« Reply #353 on: April 21, 2023, 05:53:30 AM »
I was pretty surprised what a good upper body workout MTB is going downhill. This made me change my opinion on e-bikes completely - the more time you spend going downhill (wrangling a heavy bike), the more you work your whole body (pushing hard on the climbs as well, of course). Still, doing a focused gym session should be a lot more productive (if the commute is not overly long).

Abyss1

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 141
« Reply #354 on: April 21, 2023, 09:17:33 AM »

I have the same issues, I was able to gain weight but using mass gainer (its expensive but cheaper than eating that much calories).  the key is to use in complement count calories, you should have a surplus given daily activities and workouts. 
I use my iwatch for activities and apps to track my meals.

Powdered Toast Man!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 158
  • (aka mex.ceferino)
« Reply #355 on: April 21, 2023, 10:30:29 AM »

I decided to get strong and working out after hitting 31 and realizing my body didn't match my age, if that makes sense. I've always been skinny and athletic built, not boney but not weak either and slim arms but flexible.
So I started doing pushups every morning but I swear it was super difficult sticking to a routine and make it a habit, let alone pulling even 5 pushups. I did that for a while and became more constant and increased my numbers. Eventually a friend suggested me to do crossfit, so I've been doing that since October 2020. My main focus is to get strong, you know? and not buff.
Now I have a personal trainer and do bodybuilding at the same crossfit gym. I train for an hour for 3 or 4 days a week. I'm feeling better than ever body and skateboarding wise. 165lbs but I don't keep track of my fat% and lean% and all that stuff. You should too.

I just want everyone to know that I'm only 32.8% skateboarder, and that's on a good day. The rest is just soy and cum.

Matze

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -21
    • www.matthiaswinkel.com avatar image
« Reply #356 on: April 21, 2023, 10:56:08 AM »
Over the last few years I was always between 66kg and 76kg, mostly gaining weight in winter time. Always did some running, cycled 30km every day to work started to do some Freeletics workouts a couple of years ago, but only if I was in super bad shape. Last year I became a sad and turned 40 - kinda hit an all time high with 83kg … I’m one of those who don’t get a big belly but a huuuuge butt. I increased my running to 50km a week and that helped to lose some weight. This year I moved to a new neighbourhood, Switched work places, started commute running and now I lift weights at a gym. And shit is great. I go there 3-5 times a weeks for 30-90 minutes, depends on how much time I have. Routine is mostly pull-ups, butterfly, bench presses, and some every other machine a grand Pa uses there. Sometimes I watch skate videos on a thread mill, that’s fun. Managed to lose nearly 3kg in 2 months while getting stronger. Guess in July I will cut back the gym and go 1-2 times a week, should be enough to stay in a good shape.

wo_bauer

• Rep: 4
  • ok
« Reply #357 on: April 30, 2023, 11:34:59 PM »
Good thread, I was going to slack on my routine today (missed a night of sleep) but after reading here I got it done.

Andmoreagain

• Rep: 51
« Reply #358 on: May 01, 2023, 08:41:31 AM »
my wife came back from the chiropractor and he told her she will have to do deadlifts and other exercises if she does not want to have back pain because of her height. so now we are slowly building our home gym, now that we have the space for it.

with unilateral exercises I've found out that my right leg/butt are less developed and it makes sense now how I could have the same pop riding switch all this time (I choose my non-dominant leg when I started skating)

also it feels like a lot of my skateboarding limitations could have been overcome by exercising more and addressing the muscles weaknesses/imbalances when I was in my twenties. also maybe taking some days off to recover from longer sessions etc.

Damn lemme get that doctors number. Ive been trying to gently communicate to my gf how much better she would feel with just rudimentary fitness but making no progress.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #359 on: May 01, 2023, 01:59:33 PM »
Interesting that people mentioned climbing. Bouldering is actually my "main" sport and I make climbing holds as a side company. It's definitely great and full body exercise, but if you do get into it, ease in slower than you think. It places an incredible amount of stress on your finger tendons directly, which they have never experienced. It's not uncommon for new climbers to tweak a finger because they get really excited early on and since there isn't a sets X reps structure at that point they just go all the time and for really long sessions.

Climbing itself can build some muscle if you're a beginner or getting into higher grades on really steep terrain, but it's not a great way to build "mass" if that's your goals. The vast majority of really good climbers are all really lean although that's changing somewhat, but it's not a bulky lean.