Author Topic: Chicago.  (Read 219308 times)

willcounty

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 0
Re: Chicago.
« Reply #1170 on: December 01, 2022, 08:15:03 AM »
anonymous photo sharing

anyone know these guys?
saw the video for the first time last week and was pretty into the style.
not sure why randy benko was the only one skating real Chicago spots tho?  Rest of the spots looked trash

FuzzGNU

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 194
  • The Spectre Haunting SLAP
« Reply #1171 on: December 01, 2022, 08:28:55 AM »
anonymous photo sharing

anyone know these guys?
saw the video for the first time last week and was pretty into the style.
not sure why randy benko was the only one skating real Chicago spots tho?  Rest of the spots looked trash

I've seen a Grains video before. I'll have to check this one.

Here's the link: https://www.freeskatemag.com/2022/07/06/grains-act-3-randy-benko-nyle-lovett/
Skateboarding is the ultimate challenge.

kneebone

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 348
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #1172 on: June 29, 2023, 09:10:36 AM »
Visiting with some (35yo+) friends in a couple weeks, looking for mellow, low key spots (read: curbs, ledges) in the Wicker Park, Logan Sq area. Staying right near Uprise so I imagine we'll inquire there as well but figured I'd also post here to help anyone else who may be looking.

Sockcucks

• Rep: 2
« Reply #1173 on: June 30, 2023, 03:00:37 PM »
Check out crustynorthside spots on instagram

Visiting with some (35yo+) friends in a couple weeks, looking for mellow, low key spots (read: curbs, ledges) in the Wicker Park, Logan Sq area. Staying right near Uprise so I imagine we'll inquire there as well but figured I'd also post here to help anyone else who may be looking.

kneebone

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 348
« Reply #1174 on: July 17, 2023, 11:45:39 AM »
On a recommendation from the guys at Uprise we wound up going to Clemente which was perfect, pretty much exactly the type of spot we were looking for. Tried to hit Grant park the next day but got caught up in the spotty rainstorms that were passing through

Sangriawaterfall

• Rep: 31
« Reply #1175 on: August 23, 2023, 09:17:07 PM »
Stoked on that restaurant list overwaxed. I’m heading to Chicago with my fiancé tomorrow. I wasn’t going to bring my board, but she’s got some homework so I’ve got a little window and would like to skate Chase

MC3

• Rep: 127
  • "That's a Helluva price to pay for being stylish!"
« Reply #1176 on: August 23, 2023, 09:43:22 PM »
Stoked on that restaurant list overwaxed. I’m heading to Chicago with my fiancé tomorrow. I wasn’t going to bring my board, but she’s got some homework so I’ve got a little window and would like to skate Chase
hope you're coming from texas cuz its HOT rn
(Cool Trick GIF)

Sangriawaterfall

• Rep: 31
« Reply #1177 on: August 23, 2023, 10:11:37 PM »
I’m an hour north of San Francisco, we clocked 96 today. Is that ledge casserole on east chestnut too good to be true?

MC3

« Reply #1178 on: August 24, 2023, 08:57:01 AM »
I’m an hour north of San Francisco, we clocked 96 today. Is that ledge casserole on east chestnut too good to be true?

probably. Thats the Hancock Tower, so I'm guessing you will be kicked out pretty quick. Not too far from there tho is some cool rainbow ledges, between Eerie and Ontario on the Lake Shore Drive frontage road
(Cool Trick GIF)

MC3

« Reply #1179 on: November 23, 2023, 08:50:40 PM »
I’ve heard rumblings around that House of Vans is no longer. If true, huge blow for the coming winter.

Anyone know anything at all? I don’t have a car so indoors are generally pretty hard to get to. I fear it’s time to buy the Kincos and tough out skating outdoors this year (I also heard it gonna be a relatively warm and wet one these year, but who knows how accurate that is)
(Cool Trick GIF)

Urtripping

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 526
« Reply #1180 on: November 24, 2023, 10:28:14 PM »
I’ve heard rumblings around that House of Vans is no longer. If true, huge blow for the coming winter.

Anyone know anything at all? I don’t have a car so indoors are generally pretty hard to get to. I fear it’s time to buy the Kincos and tough out skating outdoors this year (I also heard it gonna be a relatively warm and wet one these year, but who knows how accurate that is)

That would suck, that place is fun. Went to a video premier there last winter and had a great time.

Heard it's gonna be a mild winter for the Midwest!
I saw your mommy and your mommy's dead

CrumblingInfrastructure

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 295
« Reply #1181 on: November 26, 2023, 11:49:39 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

That would suck, that place is fun. Went to a video premier there last winter and had a great time.

Heard it's gonna be a mild winter for the Midwest!

So far so mild, today is the first snow ive seen this winter and we were having 60+ degree days in October. Not complaining as my weak pnw ass struggles with the cold but its also really weird to walk the dog in a sweater mid November when this time last year I was in thermals.

Urtripping

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 526
« Reply #1182 on: December 06, 2023, 04:05:55 AM »
Saw clips posted of the park on an IG story yesterday... it lives?
I saw your mommy and your mommy's dead

theloniousmonk

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 280
« Reply #1183 on: December 07, 2023, 04:58:14 AM »
Yes I was there on saturday, it was raining part of the time but no snow

chockfullofthat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 176
« Reply #1184 on: December 08, 2023, 09:33:22 AM »
i'm in discussion with the park district in Lisle and i'm going to try and heavily influence a redesigned park by 2025.  Naperville about to open a nice looking park too.  Things are looking up in the western burbs

SquintinTarantino

• Rep: 28
« Reply #1185 on: December 21, 2023, 09:01:31 AM »
i'm in discussion with the park district in Lisle and i'm going to try and heavily influence a redesigned park by 2025.  Naperville about to open a nice looking park too.  Things are looking up in the western burbs

That's rad.  My local in Homewood needs a revamp for sure! I helped push to get it built back in like 99-00 when I was in high school.  20+ years later and it's still the same shitty metal ramps (the mini is fun though). Would love to see an upgrade for the new generation.

Crust

• Rep: 40
« Reply #1186 on: January 01, 2024, 05:56:16 PM »
Check out crustynorthside spots on instagram

Expand Quote
[close]

Would gnar x100 Sockcucks, that crustnorthsidespots on Insta is so damn good!

I live nowhere remotely near (Ireland, Europe) yet I spent the last 30 mins drooling over that Insta.

So many sick crusty gems in Chicago!

SupremePizza

• Rep: 44
« Reply #1187 on: January 09, 2024, 11:38:07 AM »
Will be in Chicago for work from 1/21-1/23. Debating on bringing my board. Any recommendations for spots near McCormick Place? Looking at the weather it looks like Sunday and monday will be clear and cold, Tuesday will be snowing

sharkjumper

• Rep: 40
« Reply #1188 on: January 09, 2024, 01:37:18 PM »
Will be in Chicago for work from 1/21-1/23. Debating on bringing my board. Any recommendations for spots near McCormick Place? Looking at the weather it looks like Sunday and monday will be clear and cold, Tuesday will be snowing

You’ll be pretty close to Grant skatepark.
Uprise is pretty close to that spot Clemente. Not very close to where you’ll be though.

SquintinTarantino

• Rep: 28
« Reply #1189 on: January 09, 2024, 01:52:02 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Uprise is pretty close to that spot Clemente. Not very close to where you’ll be though.

Burnham skatepark is pretty close to McCormic as well, but Grant is a million times better. It's currently snowing here, so you may be dealing w/ that on the ground while you're here.  Definitely check out Uprise if you get a chance. Rad shop.

SupremePizza

• Rep: 44
« Reply #1190 on: January 09, 2024, 03:50:44 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Burnham skatepark is pretty close to McCormic as well, but Grant is a million times better. It's currently snowing here, so you may be dealing w/ that on the ground while you're here.  Definitely check out Uprise if you get a chance. Rad shop.

Appreciate it. Also, what's the best Chicago pizza in the area? Last time I drove thru in 2021 I tried Giordano's and that was one of the best things I ever tasted.

igrindtwinkies

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 373
« Reply #1191 on: March 18, 2024, 02:42:58 PM »
Coming down for just under a week in mid to late May.  I'm staying right next to the Pilsen DIY.  Planning on hitting the curb/ledge spot right next to there.  Was gonna try and get some skating in at Grant and Wilson during the day while it's not too busy.  If there's any suburb parks accessible by CTA that are worth checking out, I should have plenty of time.  Open to street spots, mostly looking for good ledges and street tranny.

I think it'll be a little cold to swim, but was gonna try to post up on the beach for a minute.  I don't drink, but if there's any good punk or metal bars, or just a cool dive I'll stop in if I'm in the neighborhood.  Usually try to play some pinball, Logan's looks like a good spot.  Anything else worth checking out, I'll probably hit the art institute and the Mexican heritage museum.

Thanks in advance, and if you want to link up, I can try to swing something.  I'm going to 2 or 3 shows out there, so time gets a bit limited for the latter half the days I'm there.