Author Topic: Chicago.  (Read 218998 times)

UselessAsshole

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 200
Re: Chicago.
« Reply #1110 on: January 26, 2018, 11:10:17 AM »
Expand Quote
Anyone skating today and tomorrow? First non-rainy days above freezing in weeks. Also, do you get kicked out of the Roberto Clemente plaza spot?
[close]
I'm skating today. And I'm not sure if Clemente is a bust bc of the new principal, but they did make everyone get rid of all ramps and shit back there

Damn that's fucking sad

planman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 371
  • Morpheus drinking a 40 in a death basket
« Reply #1111 on: January 29, 2018, 09:27:40 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Anyone skating today and tomorrow? First non-rainy days above freezing in weeks. Also, do you get kicked out of the Roberto Clemente plaza spot?
[close]
I'm skating today. And I'm not sure if Clemente is a bust bc of the new principal, but they did make everyone get rid of all ramps and shit back there
[close]

Damn that's fucking sad
Skated there on Friday for a bit but bounced to Logan since it was mad windy. There's a janky QP that's still back there. At least it's still not a bust though. It honestly might be my favorite spot in the city

I saw your mom do a ollie to cooch drop straight down the big black pole, it was gnarly. she defiantly shut that shit down

Rudie Weatherman

• Rep: 4
« Reply #1112 on: February 15, 2018, 09:45:01 AM »
Is Logan, or anywhere, dry enough to skate today?

Justis

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 241
  • illinoying
« Reply #1113 on: July 01, 2018, 07:01:48 PM »
https://youtu.be/Fz8ygvj0jYw premiering in Lakeview on July 21st dm me for address

TedsWild

• Rep: 0
« Reply #1114 on: December 22, 2018, 02:55:52 PM »
I am moving to your beautiful city on Monday and will be trying to skate as much as possible. I have some familiarity with Chicago but not much, and would really appreciate being shown spots, good food, etc. Send me a message if you're down for a session.

Justis

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 241
  • illinoying
« Reply #1115 on: December 22, 2018, 04:36:32 PM »
In town for a visit ill hit ya up

handsclapanin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 283
« Reply #1116 on: July 26, 2019, 09:32:19 AM »
Was just in Chicago recently.
this insta account really helped us find our way around.
https://www.instagram.com/chicagoskateboardspots/

Carrolls Chesthairs

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 117
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #1117 on: August 02, 2019, 12:09:05 PM »
Go to Uprise duh

Sad dad

« Reply #1118 on: August 25, 2020, 11:53:18 AM »
I'm getting back on the board after a decade plus of rolling around very occasionally. I'm wondering what low impact spots people might be kind enough to share. I am interested in nice slappy curbs, banks, manual pads - that sorta thing. I think there's a cool one near the 606 but am not sure where along the trail it is?

Thanks

Acky Jacky

« Reply #1119 on: August 25, 2020, 04:57:12 PM »
I'm getting back on the board after a decade plus of rolling around very occasionally. I'm wondering what low impact spots people might be kind enough to share. I am interested in nice slappy curbs, banks, manual pads - that sorta thing. I think there's a cool one near the 606 but am not sure where along the trail it is?

Thanks

The curbs you're thinking of are off the trail at Kimball

Sad dad

« Reply #1120 on: August 25, 2020, 05:25:37 PM »
Expand Quote

Thanks
[close]

The curbs you're thinking of are off the trail at Kimball

Thanks so much!

patrick c.

• Rep: 23
« Reply #1121 on: October 18, 2020, 07:27:12 PM »
Sorry for the bump but thinking of moving to Chicago next year and need some advice on housing/life in the city.
Would neighborhoods would you all recommend to look for housing in(and what are some to steer clear of)?
What's a reasonable budget for an apartment(or even a room in an apartment)?
Is it reasonable to live without a car in the city?  How frequent/reliable is the L?
I want to be somewhere safe and ideally somewhere somewhat affordable.
Sorry to hijack the skate discussion I just don't know where else to go to figure this stuff out.  Thanks for any info.
All you got is today, get out and skate.

Surf The Earth

• Rep: 19
« Reply #1122 on: October 23, 2020, 08:27:32 AM »
Sorry for the bump but thinking of moving to Chicago next year and need some advice on housing/life in the city.
Would neighborhoods would you all recommend to look for housing in(and what are some to steer clear of)?
What's a reasonable budget for an apartment(or even a room in an apartment)?
Is it reasonable to live without a car in the city?  How frequent/reliable is the L?
I want to be somewhere safe and ideally somewhere somewhat affordable.
Sorry to hijack the skate discussion I just don't know where else to go to figure this stuff out.  Thanks for any info.

Born and raise in the city. You do not need a car. The L is always running and will take you literally anywhere you want. It may take a little to figure it all out, but it's awesome! Neighborhoods wise there are many to choose from. It depends what your into (outside of skating). As far as safety goes anything on the northside is pretty good, but you will run into problems almost anywhere. You just have to be smart. My wife's old roommates got robbed at gun point for their car, twice, in of the trendiest neighborhoods (wicker Park). Still, it's a great city. Like I said, It just depends what you want to get out of your neighborhood they are all vastly different. If you give moe more specifics Im glad to help you out!
Proverbs 27:17

NG

• Rep: 17
« Reply #1123 on: October 23, 2020, 09:53:09 AM »
Lived in Chicago for several years and yeah it's totally possible to not have a car...kind of depends on your commute though. The L is great for going in and out of downtown but transferring between neighborhoods without going to the loop is kind of a pain.

There's tons of interesting neighborhoods with good prices, some more gentrified than others. I lived and worked on the south side for the majority of my time there-shit can happen anywhere and I didn't feel any more safe when I went to the north side. Just be aware of who you are and where you are when.

Skating in Chicago rules. Favorite spots include Roberto clemente high, exelon/chase obviously, and the million little basketball courts in Pilsen. Also grant part is awesome albeit kind of hectic.

Good luck!

Sad dad

« Reply #1124 on: October 26, 2020, 08:10:42 PM »
Hi,

Without a car is totally doable - most of my non-parent friends here don't have cars.

Hard to know which neighborhood would be good for you - will you work from home? Do you want to go out a lot? What do you like in a neighborhood? What's your budget, etc.?

I think it's pretty affordable here, just hard to say what'd be a good fit without a little more detail.

lazer69

• Rep: -95
« Reply #1125 on: October 26, 2020, 10:06:54 PM »
Northside is mostly all fine, many parts are kind of Bro'y or yuppie imo. Uptown will be affordable and its where the awesome and infamous wilson skatepark is. That area does have a fair share of mental people - just a warning. Lincoln Park is one of the best neighborhood imo, however its pricey. Pilsen and Bridegport are coo & affordable in "South Side", (theyre not very south). Otherwise stay away from southside or westside. Wicker and logan are cool, not cheap bc of that. Avondale is near but a little less nice/hip, so less $. Ukrainian village and near-west are safe cool and might be affordable. I used to live in Little Italy, its a nice neighborhood near downtown. No problem being car-less. Bus..train works, but bicycle is the best imo. My place was cheap because it was 100 year old and falling apart. If you want your own place in a nice hood it will be well over 1k. Otherwise with roommates you can go under.

When I lived in Chocago my strategy was find the cheapest shittiest apartment in the nicest neighborhood thats most convenient for School/Work commute.

Each place has its own vibe and you have to figure out which is best for you with all things considered.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2020, 10:25:31 PM by lazer69 »

Cuban_Lynx

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1421
  • I got the internet goin' nuts
« Reply #1126 on: October 27, 2020, 08:17:35 AM »
Northside is mostly all fine, many parts are kind of Bro'y or yuppie imo. Uptown will be affordable and its where the awesome and infamous wilson skatepark is. That area does have a fair share of mental people - just a warning. Lincoln Park is one of the best neighborhood imo, however its pricey. Pilsen and Bridegport are coo & affordable in "South Side", (theyre not very south). Otherwise stay away from southside or westside. Wicker and logan are cool, not cheap bc of that. Avondale is near but a little less nice/hip, so less $. Ukrainian village and near-west are safe cool and might be affordable. I used to live in Little Italy, its a nice neighborhood near downtown. No problem being car-less. Bus..train works, but bicycle is the best imo. My place was cheap because it was 100 year old and falling apart. If you want your own place in a nice hood it will be well over 1k. Otherwise with roommates you can go under.

When I lived in Chocago my strategy was find the cheapest shittiest apartment in the nicest neighborhood thats most convenient for School/Work commute.

Each place has its own vibe and you have to figure out which is best for you with all things considered.
I've lived in the West Loop (Near West)  for the past 7 years and it's hardly affordable now. Mostly because of Skinner West school district as well as Google and McDonald's HQ. If you don't care about schools, Ukrainian Village is the way to go.

Surf The Earth

« Reply #1127 on: October 27, 2020, 08:23:19 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
I've lived in the West Loop (Near West)  for the past 7 years and it's hardly affordable now. Mostly because of Skinner West school district as well as Google and McDonald's HQ. If you don't care about schools, Ukrainian Village is the way to go.

Thats a great suggestion. Ukranian village is close enough to some "hip" parts of town including Wicker Park, West Town, and East Humboldt Park (which has changed drastically and is still a little sketch depending on the block), but is home to Clemente High School, where they have a lil fun DIY skate plaza. Your also not far to Downtown. Logan Square has also changed a lot and is a cool place to live, also close to all that as well. But has gotten pricey
« Last Edit: October 27, 2020, 11:31:24 AM by Surf The Earth »

Lloyd Braun

• Rep: 80
« Reply #1128 on: October 27, 2020, 11:27:13 AM »
I’m heading to Chicago Friday. Wanting to skate Chase/Excelon Plaza and the Benches at The art institute. Maybe some other spots. How big of a bust are those spots? Planning on skating them early 7-8am Saturday morning.

Surf The Earth

« Reply #1129 on: October 27, 2020, 11:30:40 AM »
saturday mronings will be real chill. Especially at Chase. They have pretty much accepted that people skate there at this point

Lloyd Braun

• Rep: 80
« Reply #1130 on: October 27, 2020, 01:15:20 PM »
saturday mronings will be real chill. Especially at Chase. They have pretty much accepted that people skate there at this point

Sick thanks! Stoked been wanting to skate there for a minute.

Joust Ostrich

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 662
  • Speculatnaciousness?
« Reply #1131 on: October 27, 2020, 03:36:26 PM »
I have friends in Pilsen, it's cheap enough and close enough, with plenty of food and bar options.  You won't need a car. 
I'm posting from my blackberry wtf?!?!?

Cuban_Lynx

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1132 on: October 27, 2020, 04:55:10 PM »
Oh, try to get a Divvy bike membership when they go on sale or use a (fake?) student email for $75 annually. I have a car, but rarely use it because of Divvy.

lazer69

« Reply #1133 on: October 27, 2020, 06:37:59 PM »
Oh, try to get a Divvy bike membership when they go on sale or use a (fake?) student email for $75 annually. I have a car, but rarely use it because of Divvy.

C'mon man  ;D, those bikes are heavy, slow, and make you look like tourist chump. You can get a real bike second hand for under $200

patrick c.

• Rep: 23
« Reply #1134 on: October 27, 2020, 06:56:18 PM »
Thanks for all the input guys I appreciate it. 
All you got is today, get out and skate.

Cuban_Lynx

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1135 on: October 28, 2020, 04:26:11 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

C'mon man  ;D, those bikes are heavy, slow, and make you look like tourist chump. You can get a real bike second hand for under $200
I use them for the exercise and have no storage space, so I like them. Most importantly, if you buy a bike, it's 100% getting stolen. I did have a homeless dude try to steal my Divvy when I left it unattended for a few seconds to drop a package at USPS. Fortunately, I'm 6'7" and had the seat way up and he couldn't figure out how to get it going, so I was easily able to confront him and get it back.

lazer69

« Reply #1136 on: June 21, 2021, 10:41:41 AM »
https://www.instagram.com/p/CJT9yIjn7Cd/

Wheres this one?

much appreciated

Statebird

• Rep: 46
« Reply #1137 on: June 22, 2021, 05:50:20 PM »
https://www.instagram.com/p/CJT9yIjn7Cd/

Wheres this one?

much appreciated

Victoria Soto High, 5025 S St Louis Ave, Chicago, IL 60632

skatesum609

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Rep: 94
« Reply #1138 on: June 28, 2021, 02:42:49 PM »
Going to Chicago in august for a couple of days. The place I’m going to be staying at is like 5 minutes from Logan square skate park. Anyone have any experience there. Is it sketchy? Is it open all day and night? Gonna probably go super early in the morning. Any spots close by?

lazer69

« Reply #1139 on: June 28, 2021, 03:25:27 PM »
Not sketchy. the skatepark is crappy imo though. I mean literally and figuratively. a lot of bird crap. I think theres lights so you can skate at night. Been awhile since I been there though. Easy to get downtown where theres bigger nicer par.k and spots. Clemente high school on western isnt far and is a cool sort a diy spot basically skatepark at this point.