Author Topic: Chicago.  (Read 219000 times)

skatesum609

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Rep: 94
Re: Chicago.
« Reply #1140 on: June 29, 2021, 06:40:08 AM »
Not sketchy. the skatepark is crappy imo though. I mean literally and figuratively. a lot of bird crap. I think theres lights so you can skate at night. Been awhile since I been there though. Easy to get downtown where theres bigger nicer par.k and spots. Clemente high school on western isnt far and is a cool sort a diy spot basically skatepark at this point.
Thanks for the feedback.I looked that park up and it does look pretty wack. That school looks sick. I should be only about a 25 minute walk so I’ll definitely be checking that out. Probably only going to get a morning to skate so I wanted to go somewhere that’s kind of close

Gary Bucket

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 42
« Reply #1141 on: June 29, 2021, 07:56:09 AM »
Expand Quote
Not sketchy. the skatepark is crappy imo though. I mean literally and figuratively. a lot of bird crap. I think theres lights so you can skate at night. Been awhile since I been there though. Easy to get downtown where theres bigger nicer par.k and spots. Clemente high school on western isnt far and is a cool sort a diy spot basically skatepark at this point.
[close]
Thanks for the feedback.I looked that park up and it does look pretty wack. That school looks sick. I should be only about a 25 minute walk so I’ll definitely be checking that out. Probably only going to get a morning to skate so I wanted to go somewhere that’s kind of close

Took a trip a couple weeks ago. Clemente is fun. The divvy bikes fly and have a perfect bungee for your board. If you make it down to millennium park, grant park is worth the trip IMO

skatesum609

« Reply #1142 on: June 29, 2021, 11:30:18 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

Took a trip a couple weeks ago. Clemente is fun. The divvy bikes fly and have a perfect bungee for your board. If you make it down to millennium park, grant park is worth the trip IMO
Thanks for the feedback. Probably won’t have enough time to go out there but looks really fun. I forgot to mention I’m going with my family and I’m just trying to sneak out for a couple hours. Last time I went I remember seeing a whole bunch of spots and was pissed I didn’t have a board with me

Joust Ostrich

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 662
  • Speculatnaciousness?
« Reply #1143 on: June 29, 2021, 02:14:09 PM »
There's a giant shrimp sign, maybe on Lawrence, it's easily 10 feet long and on a giant pole.  I think I'm going to go find that again on monday and eat shrimp til i'm ill.
I'm posting from my blackberry wtf?!?!?

skatesum609

« Reply #1144 on: June 29, 2021, 02:28:07 PM »
There's a giant shrimp sign, maybe on Lawrence, it's easily 10 feet long and on a giant pole.  I think I'm going to go find that again on monday and eat shrimp til i'm ill.
That’s what’s up. Eat dat shrimp

Grip Jobs

« Reply #1145 on: July 01, 2021, 08:24:18 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]
Thanks for the feedback. Probably won’t have enough time to go out there but looks really fun. I forgot to mention I’m going with my family and I’m just trying to sneak out for a couple hours. Last time I went I remember seeing a whole bunch of spots and was pissed I didn’t have a board with me

Depending on your family, where you live, your age and what the plans of the trip are I would definitely bail on something and go skate downtown and go to Grant skatepark. Logan park is terrible. Chances are your family is going into the loop, just bring your board and don’t go into the aquarium. You can tell them that skating is important to you and would make your vacation.

lazer69

• Rep: -95
« Reply #1146 on: July 01, 2021, 01:09:02 PM »
ay, tell me more bout this shrimp. LUv shrimp

Grip Jobs

« Reply #1147 on: July 01, 2021, 04:49:00 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]
[close]

Depending on your family, where you live, your age and what the plans of the trip are I would definitely bail on something and go skate downtown and go to Grant skatepark. Logan park is terrible. Chances are your family is going into the loop, just bring your board and don’t go into the aquarium. You can tell them that skating is important to you and would make your vacation.
[close]

what is the bust situation like in chicago these days. when I was a teenager it was really bad. you'd get tackled and stuff. I assume its still illegal to skate in the loop. I ask because I might be going there next week. I was just going to check out grant park but I wouldn't mind cruising around

Depends on the day and the time but any security I’ve seen in the past few years in Chicago will kinda get your attention and start walking towards you slowly. That’s usually the cue to leave. I think the Terminator retired. So I wouldn’t worry about being tackled. If you are alone chances are no security will come out no matter what time of day, but make that first 5 minutes count bc that’s all you might get at any spot anywhere in the world.

skatesum609

« Reply #1148 on: July 01, 2021, 05:56:02 PM »
for real. Fuck the skating I’m goin right to that shrimp spot

Grip Jobs

« Reply #1149 on: July 01, 2021, 06:19:15 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
for real. Fuck the skating I’m goin right to that shrimp spot

Calumet Fisheries is the spot but you gotta have a car pretty much.
Lake Michigan has salmon not shrimp but don’t let that influence your decision because Calumet has great shrimp bring a $50

Joust Ostrich

• SLAP Pal
  • Speculatnaciousness?
« Reply #1150 on: July 01, 2021, 08:26:38 PM »
That's the spirit.  I found it.

2120 Canal St
Chicago, IL 60616

Last time I was in chicago I went there. April probably, on a sunday afternoon.  The place is large, and busy.  Yet, I'm the only whitey in there.  Got the sense these customers know whats up.  It was close to a 10 minute wait after ordering, but it's worth it.  Pound of shrimp and some mushrooms, ate outside by the canal.  Glorious.  I had been there once before, precovid, but it was late at night and I was hammered.  Didn't really recall it.

I'm going Monday.  Can't wait.

Jive Turkey

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 93
« Reply #1151 on: July 01, 2021, 08:30:31 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

what is the bust situation like in chicago these days. when I was a teenager it was really bad. you'd get tackled and stuff. I assume its still illegal to skate in the loop. I ask because I might be going there next week. I was just going to check out grant park but I wouldn't mind cruising around
[close]

Depends on the day and the time but any security I’ve seen in the past few years in Chicago will kinda get your attention and start walking towards you slowly. That’s usually the cue to leave. I think the Terminator retired. So I wouldn’t worry about being tackled. If you are alone chances are no security will come out no matter what time of day, but make that first 5 minutes count bc that’s all you might get at any spot anywhere in the world.
GTFO That dude was/is still out there?!  How? I first accoutered him when I was 16, I'm 41 now.

Oh and defo hit up Calumet Fisheries

Grip Jobs

« Reply #1152 on: July 01, 2021, 08:45:20 PM »
Yeah Lawrence’s is good but it’s all frozen and fried.
Calumet has fresh smoked shrimp or boiled and smoked salmon, they filmed Blues Brothers right there in case your on a mission from god for that good shrimp.
Baseball games are pretty fun in Chicago too.

Joust Ostrich

• SLAP Pal
  • Speculatnaciousness?
« Reply #1153 on: July 01, 2021, 09:07:23 PM »
Calumet.  Thanks, I forgot about that.  Rode bikes with a friend down there once and ate on the curb next to that bridge.  That was so good, maybe I'll see if he's up for a long bike ride. 

Tried to go swimming in the lake on the way back but got kicked out because of a Kidsbop concert.  Was pissed.  Ride 35 miles and want to cool off, nope. 

Joust Ostrich

• SLAP Pal
  • Speculatnaciousness?
« Reply #1154 on: July 05, 2021, 09:04:36 PM »
Shrimp update.

My friend moved to Mckinley Park, and we tried a new place. 

Frank's Chicago Shrimp House, on South Archer Ave.   

Very good, do recommend if you're out that way.

fredgallSOTY

« Reply #1155 on: July 06, 2021, 09:02:24 AM »
shrimp blunt

ThrashGnar

• Rep: 6
« Reply #1156 on: July 17, 2021, 12:56:00 PM »
Staying in downtown - the loop for a few weeks. Where’s good to skate evenings during the week or weekends?

Any old guy sessions? Haha. Ledge, curb, banks are ideal 🙏

Joust Ostrich

• SLAP Pal
  • Speculatnaciousness?

FuzzGNU

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 194
  • The Spectre Haunting SLAP
« Reply #1158 on: March 10, 2022, 12:08:07 AM »

Thanks chillout. I have a list of downtown spots going. So far I have:

?   Marble ledges
?   Stairs + ledges
?   Double curb cuts
?   Seawall
?   Copernicus ledges + bandstand + ring around the rail / Adler Planetarium
?   Aon Center (ledge city)
?   Monroe Gap
?   Riverside Ledges/podium (3 ledges/progressive 3 stairs)
?   Naked Chick Spot (3 up 3 down + Philly podium)
?   Quizbump
?   Daley Plaza (Picasso + ledge/pad + benches)
?   Exelon (Ledges + outledges + stairs + 3stair pit)
?   Renaissance Ledges
?   Kalis ledges + THE street gap
?   Outledge + hesh gap + 5 stair
?   Bubbledges
?   Riverside Plaza
and the entirety of the west side of S Michigan Ave, for the marble planters

Anyone know where these are at?
« Last Edit: March 10, 2022, 12:52:20 AM by FuzzGNU »
Skateboarding is the ultimate challenge.

hotstudios_on_youtube

• Rep: -65
  • ???
« Reply #1159 on: July 18, 2022, 12:15:38 PM »
hitting up Chicago in November, what skate shops have good Adidas or converse?

FuzzGNU

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 194
  • The Spectre Haunting SLAP
« Reply #1160 on: July 18, 2022, 12:21:12 PM »
hitting up Chicago in November, what skate shops have good Adidas or converse?

I don't know a ton about shoe stuff, but Uprise is the main shop. They have all of their stock listed online, but it's always changing so no idea what they will have come November.

https://upriseskateshop.com/collections/shoes
Skateboarding is the ultimate challenge.

overwaxed

• Rep: 83
« Reply #1161 on: August 26, 2022, 10:35:04 AM »
Thread Bump!

Moved here a year ago and got back on the board in earnest recently - always down for sessions especially with older folks (I'm 36).

Any indoor spots? I'm already getting anxious about the winter and the closest indoor park is in the north burbs and looks like razor scooter central lol.

overwaxed

« Reply #1162 on: August 26, 2022, 10:54:22 AM »
Oh and I can't add much to the fish guide cuz I'm gluten free, but for folks visiting heres some spots I like a lot:

Sticky Rice Thai (on Western in Lincoln Square) - pretty legit Thai food, in a city with rather disappointing options otherwise
Smoque BBQ (on Pulaski in Old Irving Park) - legit BBQ approved by this former Virginian (on the NC border) who grew up on some of the best pork in the world
Moneygun (West Loop) - I don't drink anymore, but when I did I really enjoyed doing it here
Buona Beef (mostly in the Burbs but a few in the city - hit up the one in Oak Park and then go skate the bowl in Cicero) - people will tell you to go to Portillo's and it ain't bad (my wife is from the town it originated in, and even her fam are Buona loyalists), the hot dogs and burgers are especially good, but if you want a consistent Italian beef with the best giardinera in town hit up a Buona and you won't regret it
Four Letter Word Coffee (on Diversey in Logan) - incredible coffee, and great pastries if you get there before they sell out
Metric Coffee (outskirts of the West Loop on Fulton) - my favorite coffee in town, especially if you like espresso
Ritual Coffee (North Center) - serves Metric and does it well, solid spot to hit up before a morning sesh at Wilson Skatepark near by
Dollop Diner (Andersonville) - pretty solid coffee, but great Breakfast, perfect for post morning sesh above ^

now the controversial portion: Tacos / Mexican food ... it's fucking amazing here, maybe I lived in NYC too long, but honestly it's as good as LA though a bit different

L'Patron (Logan) - get the Ribeye and Onion taco, you'll thank me (everything is good)
Victor Bueno (Pilsen) - everything you order here will be better than almost anything you've ever had
Drive around Hermosa/Avondale/Belmont-Cragin and hit up any Taqueria/Birria spot you see and it will be amazing
Tiztal (Ravenswood) - I love Mexican breakfast, and their chilaquiles will make you extremely happy

Lonesome Rose (Logan) - hipster gringo Mexican food, but real good and dope atmosphere
Rojo Gusano (Ravenswood) - fancy gringo Mexican food that's real good

Chicago is such an amazing food town, and now I'm hungry!

skatesum609

« Reply #1163 on: August 29, 2022, 09:57:14 AM »
Thread Bump!

Moved here a year ago and got back on the board in earnest recently - always down for sessions especially with older folks (I'm 36).

Any indoor spots? I'm already getting anxious about the winter and the closest indoor park is in the north burbs and looks like razor scooter central lol.
Heading back out in the beginning of November. I usually go to that shitty park under the overpass but I’m going to try and make it out to grant park this time. Let me know if you wanna link for an early morning sesh

overwaxed

« Reply #1164 on: August 30, 2022, 09:22:38 AM »
Expand Quote
Thread Bump!

[close]
Heading back out in the beginning of November. I usually go to that shitty park under the overpass but I’m going to try and make it out to grant park this time. Let me know if you wanna link for an early morning sesh

Right on I'll DM you - so far Wilson park is the jam, Logan (the one under the overpass) is vibey but a little too sketch for me!

skatesum609

« Reply #1165 on: September 05, 2022, 07:36:01 PM »
Any diy spots?

alecjahr

• Rep: -108
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #1166 on: November 15, 2022, 01:15:24 PM »
I’m trying to move to Chicago in march any one need a roommate? My instagram is not_stoked hit me if so.

CrumblingInfrastructure

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 289
« Reply #1167 on: November 15, 2022, 03:46:51 PM »
I’m trying to move to Chicago in march any one need a roommate? My instagram is not_stoked hit me if so.

Not looking for a roommate but I used to live in these studios at 4421 N Broadway and the rent was 850$ a month you pay Electric/Internet. They were pretty gnarly but its a cheap spot if you wanna live up north and nearby Wilson park for cheap. I still live in that area and love the neighborhood.

igrindtwinkies

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 367
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #1168 on: November 15, 2022, 07:26:21 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Not looking for a roommate but I used to live in these studios at 4421 N Broadway and the rent was 850$ a month you pay Electric/Internet. They were pretty gnarly but its a cheap spot if you wanna live up north and nearby Wilson park for cheap. I still live in that area and love the neighborhood.

How gnarly were they?  I'm looking more and more into moving once winter is over and Chicago is one of closest big cities to me.  I'm trying to get an idea of how much it would cost to live alone out there.

CrumblingInfrastructure

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 289
« Reply #1169 on: November 15, 2022, 09:42:51 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

How gnarly were they?  I'm looking more and more into moving once winter is over and Chicago is one of closest big cities to me.  I'm trying to get an idea of how much it would cost to live alone out there.

Current spot is about 2 blocks away from that previous address and its 1150 a month plus electricity (50), gas(20), and 300 mbps internet from RCN (60). If you got a car your gunna have to pay for parking or zoning or whatever the fuck it is and I dont know that. Thats northside in Uptown though. I pay extra to live next to the red line because I dont drive.

If you live off the redline/main strip you can go cheaper. Those studios I mentioned were pretty gnarly. I had roaches and rats living there and they’re slum lords (skimped on the heat for a week mid winter). Also no laundry machines on site. But that shit was dirt cheap haha.