Author Topic: NEW Puleo Interview!  (Read 64766 times)

ChildoftheGhetto

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -1323
  • Nathaniel Turner with a burner
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: NEW Puleo Interview!
« Reply #180 on: January 26, 2011, 07:00:48 PM »
huh? My favorite skaters epitomize control, style, and real skill.  and isn't your favorite skater chris cole? I rest my case
« Last Edit: January 26, 2011, 07:03:05 PM by ChildoftheGhetto »

yeahisaidit

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 94
« Reply #181 on: January 26, 2011, 07:10:44 PM »
Expand Quote
How obsolete can you be when you have a topic on slap 6 pages long?
[close]

Expand Quote
when you're waiting tables, complaining about kids killing your spots.
[close]

this scene comes to mine

strangefires

« Reply #182 on: January 26, 2011, 07:12:41 PM »
cotg is the best poster

Wesley Willis

• Rep: 8
« Reply #183 on: January 26, 2011, 07:18:08 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

this scene comes to mine

Gnar you if I could.  ;D
COTG is the best poster. Just ask him.

scorpion1001

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 40
  • All Hail Carroll
« Reply #184 on: January 26, 2011, 07:21:31 PM »
this dude lost so much respect in my eyes.  theres a way to comment on how things are going in the industry without naming names and coming off sounding like a bitter old fuck.  not down with the austyn gillette and gilbert crockett hate eitehr.

NickDagger

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -32
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #185 on: January 26, 2011, 07:31:52 PM »
huh? My favorite skaters epitomize control, style, and real skill.  and isn't your favorite skater chris cole? I rest my case

I deleted my other post because I felt gay reading it. But I'm just trying to say that Puleo is skilled in his own way, that a lot of people obviously seem to enjoy.

Plus Chris Cole already proved he was technically the best skater alive when he beat PROD at BATB2.

Also PROD should have lost against PJ but Tony Hawk let him do a redo instead of giving him a letter when he put his hands down. So PROD obviously sucks at skateboarding and has no skill. He should definitely quit skating what a loser he will never be as good as Chris Cole. NEVER. NEVERRRR!!!!!!

NEVERRRR!!!!!
"DIS YA BOI NICK DAGGAL" -Arto Saari

NickDagger

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #186 on: January 26, 2011, 07:34:01 PM »
p.s. obviously Bobby Puleo would make for a great Epicly Laterd about right now, amirite? Someone email O'dell and make him ask the "hard hitting" questions.

Now.

ChildoftheGhetto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #187 on: January 26, 2011, 07:37:43 PM »
1:39 from berra himself.

ChildoftheGhetto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #188 on: January 26, 2011, 07:41:29 PM »
and didn't you just get finished saying style was important? you can't say that if your favorite is chris cole. you can't have it both ways. either style matters or it doesn't.

NickDagger

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #189 on: January 26, 2011, 07:45:37 PM »
I was kidding! The point is skateboarding's not a competition and they're obviously all three of the most skilled skaters in the world(prod, cole, pj), regardless of who wins SKATE or any other competition. But, be honest. If you were playing a game of SKATE against someone, and they landed a trick like this...:

That would be a letter, amIright?

NickDagger

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #190 on: January 26, 2011, 07:46:08 PM »
and didn't you just get finished saying style was important? you can't say that if your favorite is chris cole. you can't have it both ways. either style matters or it doesn't.

Maybe if Cole did easy tricks like PROD, he would have better style.

OWN3D!!!!!!!

ChildoftheGhetto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #191 on: January 26, 2011, 07:47:54 PM »
I was kidding! The point is skateboarding's not a competition and they're obviously all three of the most skilled skaters in the world(prod, cole, pj), regardless of who wins SKATE or any other competition. But, be honest. If you were playing a game of SKATE against someone, and they landed a trick like this...:

That would be a letter, amIright?

we play berrics rules  ;)

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -936
  • I own Malibu? I am going to fuck you.
« Reply #192 on: January 26, 2011, 09:04:04 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Quote from: bobby puleo
Expand Quote
These cookie cutter archetypes that look, dress and all skate the same. And they all have these J. Crew catalog names these days, like Austin Cookie-Cutter and Gilbert Skatethesame. You also have this new trend of fully established California types that are moving to and coming to NY and filming on shit here that has just been through the goddamn ringer as far as one uppers and spot rapers and they think that that style of doing things makes them legitimate. That shit is corny. Go find your own shit in your own city.
[close]

even though he mentioned the names austin and gilbert, I read the interview as him calling out alex olson and the nike team.  Kalis mentions something similar in his quartersnacks interview about grant taylor coming to new york and being a douche. feels like both of them are implying the same thing about how skateboarding has changed post-internet, and how it's less about a lifestyle and fun than it is about career moves and getting famous

[close]

kalis angle wasn't about a city though. grant had just got on alien and was a dick to him.

puleo is crying because people from another region are skating "his" city like he owns any of that shit. dude is bitch.
[close]

that was after mind field and its the part that made the least sense to me because grant was on workshop for like 6 years......so how was that the first time he saw grant? especially when out of his way as soon as possible to see how jake johnson skated when he just got on? and then complained about him not being acknowledged by grant? you dont think grant has a reason to think kalis never gave a shit? dude met the whole team and the first time he meets kalis is by chance at the pyramid ledges and not on tour or anything? maybe he got the vibe that kalis wasnt feeling him at all.
Grant wasn't AM for Alien. You think Alien flies out the hundreds of flow skaters they have to meet their pros? God people are stupid.

Also, the thing about Puleo and the art shit- COTG is right on point. His type of skating got hot, so a bunch of kids who would have never skated the type of shit he does suddenly do. If its his art, fine, but he can't force everybody else in the world to think its better if he did a lesser trick before another dude did a better one. Sorry, if it really is about the art, you shouldn't care about not getting paid to do it. You can do your own thing, or you can do shit to please everybody, but it doesn't always go both ways, and if your focus was one and not the other, you shouldn't be mad when you get one and not another.
Are you a kook? If you would say this, the answer is “YES”
I quit skating for a time due to piling out

The Ghost of Lenny Kirk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -146
« Reply #193 on: January 26, 2011, 09:57:32 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
These cookie cutter archetypes that look, dress and all skate the same. And they all have these J. Crew catalog names these days, like Austin Cookie-Cutter and Gilbert Skatethesame. You also have this new trend of fully established California types that are moving to and coming to NY and filming on shit here that has just been through the goddamn ringer as far as one uppers and spot rapers and they think that that style of doing things makes them legitimate. That shit is corny. Go find your own shit in your own city.
[close]

even though he mentioned the names austin and gilbert, I read the interview as him calling out alex olson and the nike team.  Kalis mentions something similar in his quartersnacks interview about grant taylor coming to new york and being a douche. feels like both of them are implying the same thing about how skateboarding has changed post-internet, and how it's less about a lifestyle and fun than it is about career moves and getting famous

[close]

kalis angle wasn't about a city though. grant had just got on alien and was a dick to him.

puleo is crying because people from another region are skating "his" city like he owns any of that shit. dude is bitch.
[close]

that was after mind field and its the part that made the least sense to me because grant was on workshop for like 6 years......so how was that the first time he saw grant? especially when out of his way as soon as possible to see how jake johnson skated when he just got on? and then complained about him not being acknowledged by grant? you dont think grant has a reason to think kalis never gave a shit? dude met the whole team and the first time he meets kalis is by chance at the pyramid ledges and not on tour or anything? maybe he got the vibe that kalis wasnt feeling him at all.
[close]
Grant wasn't AM for Alien. You think Alien flies out the hundreds of flow skaters they have to meet their pros? God people are stupid.

http://web.archive.org/web/20031202201623/www.alienworkshop.com/team.html

my bad. hes officially been on for about 8 years. so he was am around 2003 which is basically right around when mosaic came out.

« Last Edit: January 26, 2011, 10:04:16 PM by The Ghost of Lenny Kirk »

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -936
  • I own Malibu? I am going to fuck you.
« Reply #194 on: January 26, 2011, 10:07:46 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

http://web.archive.org/web/20031202201623/www.alienworkshop.com/team.html

my bad. hes officially been on for about 8 years. so he was am around 2003 which is basically right around when mosaic came out.

Was this right after mosaic? I could have sworn he got fully on just a bit before his footage in that first nike video. meh.
Are you a kook? If you would say this, the answer is “YES”
I quit skating for a time due to piling out

Tyroneshoelaces

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -601
  • who knows
« Reply #195 on: January 27, 2011, 01:45:33 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Expand Quote
[close]

best laugh i've had all day. HAHAHAHAHA
where is home?

NowhereInLife

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 20
« Reply #196 on: January 27, 2011, 01:58:26 AM »
i hope he finds twenty dollars on the way home from work.

tripledonkeyflip

« Reply #197 on: January 27, 2011, 06:02:13 AM »
Didn't read the 7 pages of comments but did read the interview. He's just another bitter ny skater that thinks hes better than everyone else because he skates a fuckin shitty basement door spot with some needles thrown on it. If we all really thought about the "spot rape" like he did none of you would have posted in the Hubba rip thread about how sick it was to see all the shit that went down there. I just dont like him.

TMKF

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -485
« Reply #198 on: January 27, 2011, 07:05:23 AM »
I never really got the hype surrounding this guy. I never liked him or his skating, however I few years back I started to back him because of his political views, he seems to at least get that somewhat. However the dude is super bitter, I've even been told by people who call themselves his close friends what a scumbag he is. How can dudes control what their names are? Or is he saying companies should not put someone on because of their name? Gilbert Crockett sounds like a pretty redneck name to me, if anything. Him and Austyn are undoubtably amazing, fuck maybe Puleo should watch that footage of Austyn skating over the couch in that warehouse.

« Last Edit: January 27, 2011, 07:10:41 AM by TMKF »

Hexagon

« Reply #199 on: January 27, 2011, 07:21:07 AM »
Maybe he is over it all... and tired of all the dumb bullshit that is skateboarding in the last few years. I still like the his skating, but he may just be talking out of his ass about Autism Gillette and Gilbert Grape. Possibly used them as generic examples for the fact that fashion over function is a new norm... I don't know. Plus everyone's a dick these days and an expert at everything, just ask anyone.

Shit if he's lacking a shoe sponsor he should see if Ricky could get him a spot on Vox or something.

superbherb

• Rep: 0
« Reply #200 on: January 27, 2011, 08:21:05 AM »
I agree with a lot of what he's saying, but there's just no point in worrying about it anymore.  Let's face the fact that it's 2011 and there's a whole new breed of kids skating... and unfortunately most kids are just painfully regular and completely missing the point.  We just accept it and move on.

I blame the interwebz.

Donkey Lips

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 995
« Reply #201 on: January 27, 2011, 09:34:37 AM »
I used to hear his name when I was a kid, and I thought it was Bobby Polio. I used to think I couldn't even ollie and there's a pro skater born with polio? That's heavy. Needless to say I was bummed when I saw him as a fully functioning man.

Also he needs to stop being so cranky.

MartinLedge

• Rep: -14
« Reply #202 on: January 27, 2011, 10:21:30 AM »

calm down, don't get a big dick

Zimmerman

« Reply #203 on: January 27, 2011, 11:03:00 AM »
I don't think the 15 year olds of todays world could handle such a controversial interview. The least you can do is respect.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2011, 11:11:53 AM by John »

igotitforcheap

• Rep: -11
  • smooth as glass
« Reply #204 on: January 27, 2011, 11:09:27 AM »
I don't think the 15 year olds of todays world could handle such a controversial interview. The least you can do is respect.
wrong. i dont think the 15 year olds trapped in the bodies of 29year old slap posters could handle this interview. correct.

Zimmerman

« Reply #205 on: January 27, 2011, 11:12:08 AM »
Also, people are bitching about him being bitter and sour but their bitching is even more dramatic and bitter than Puleo himself,
thus being a hypocrite.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2011, 11:14:34 AM by John »

carbonite

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 490
    • frozen in carbonite avatar image
« Reply #206 on: January 27, 2011, 11:14:02 AM »
...I LOVE SKATERS WITH PROFFESIONAL BOXER SOUNDING NAMES LIKE BOBBY PULEO AND RICKY OYOLA!!!!

ttching!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 65214
  • Smilin' Mercenary
« Reply #207 on: January 27, 2011, 01:51:23 PM »
The first time I ever came to the city in good weather I went and found the banks.  He was lurking down there with his buddies and was giving me this look.  He looked familiar, but it didn't occur to me who he was at the time, and I didn't really think much of his look then either.  I mean there were a bunch of bmx'ers crowding up the spot already so I was further crowding it up.  He came through the Chelsea park this summer when it wasn't crowded and I was skating there.  He lazily rolled around a little, and left, looking super bummed the whole time.  I wondered why...that place has banks, a ledge to bank, and a banked ledge...it seems right up his alley.  But it sounds like he just doesn't like other skaters, period, so now both instances make a little more sense.  I can relate to not liking to skate crowded spots, but not the rest of it.  This is a good example of why some skaters should stick to photo shoots, and not do interviews.  Its a lot easier to keep your foot out of your mouth if you keep your mouth shut and your foot on the board.  I think we'd all be off ordering Victim t-shirts if this release had just been a grip of new photos and footage without any of the words.

Magic Pizza

• Rep: 175
« Reply #208 on: January 27, 2011, 01:55:49 PM »
Perfect example, the blue ledge/hubba thing in colombus park, after his moving in traffic part came out, all of a sudden everyone was filming there. Just watch static II or MIT for more examples.

Plus guys like Pappalardo are ripping off bobby's approach to skating.

You know that ledge has a name, it's call the Big Wang, named after Wing Fat Wang, or as his friends called him, Mock Duck.
He was the first to skate it with one metal roller skate in 1947. He slid the top then came in down the slope...smooth. And that was at least 3 years before the Hip Sing Tong crew blew up the spot with the backside massaagee slide.

mandibleclaw

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 560
  • "RIP to myself one day." -jereme rogers
    • mandible claw avatar image
  • Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #209 on: January 27, 2011, 01:58:07 PM »
The first time I ever came to the city in good weather I went and found the banks.  He was lurking down there with his buddies and was giving me this look.  He looked familiar, but it didn't occur to me who he was at the time, and I didn't really think much of his look then either.  I mean there were a bunch of bmx'ers crowding up the spot already so I was further crowding it up.  He came through the Chelsea park this summer when it wasn't crowded and I was skating there.  He lazily rolled around a little, and left, looking super bummed the whole time.  I wondered why...that place has banks, a ledge to bank, and a banked ledge...it seems right up his alley.  But it sounds like he just doesn't like other skaters, period, so now both instances make a little more sense.  I can relate to not liking to skate crowded spots, but not the rest of it.  This is a good example of why some skaters should stick to photo shoots, and not do interviews.  Its a lot easier to keep your foot out of your mouth if you keep your mouth shut and your foot on the board.  I think we'd all be off ordering Victim t-shirts if this release had just been a grip of new photos and footage without any of the words.

i was there at chelsea!  yeah, he rolled in, bummed out, and left....  half an hour later, i broke my shoulder.
We are a noble sport more noble than any other