Author Topic: Grad School?  (Read 14015 times)

Omamori

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -128
Re: Grad School?
« Reply #30 on: January 29, 2011, 08:57:31 PM »
So I rarely post on slap, but I thought that maybe because I actually am in graduate school for a master's in counseling with a specialization in addiction studies I could probably guide you in the right direction. Soft Sciences (Psychology, Sociology, Anthropology) are a little more forgiving in all these areas because they usually take a more holistic approach and look more at what you can contribute to the field or the community rather than how awesome you are academically. This isn't to say that they have incredibly low standards, but you won't be looked at if your GPA is less than 3.0, your GRE scores are less than 1100, and your writing sample is less than 4. Experiences are very vital to getting in also depending on what you want to do, Anthropology usually wants experience in other cultures, Psychology wants direct experience with marginalized populations or clients in a mental health setting, and Sociology usually wants you to have worked within systems such as non profits or government organizations.
Awesome, I'm planning on become a marriage and family therapist. You have any tips for getting accept? I'm hoping to attend Idaho State University, low cost of living, GRE doesn't count if your GPA is over 3.5 and its somewhere new. Also my girlfriends major is there too (clinical laboratory studies). I'm on my second semester for my BA degree, I have a 3.4 as of right now. I'm crossing my fingers for an internship or volunteering with a counselor from my previous college. I really hope things go well.

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 378
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #31 on: January 29, 2011, 09:13:56 PM »
I just applied to a master's program for the next year so I can really only give you advice about my experience. A big thing is talk to the undergraduate adviser for your major. Mine was a huge help. Make sure to see if the school(s) you're applying to offer terminal master's programs. I know that a lot of sociology departments don't offer terminal sociology master's, but instead award you a master's during the PhD. process. Once you have all that done, make sure that you want to enter into a PhD. program. My thesis and undergraduate advisers both told me that if you're not sure if you want to do a PhD. program, then do not apply for it. Go for your master's. So many PhD. candidates drop out of PhD. programs because they'll reach the inevitable directionless lull in work and think they don't want to be in school anymore. Doing this, or even worse-dropping out after you received your master's, is absolutely horrible when/if you apply for PhD. programs later on.

RicoTron

• Rep: 5
  • Beers, Boards, Bombs
« Reply #32 on: January 30, 2011, 08:59:29 AM »
@crass, first let me say that it is very smart of you to try and go to graduate school in an area that has a low cost of living. The reason being that when you have to do your practicum and internship it will be like a full time job and you won't be able to work even if you wanted to unless it's the graveyard shift. Second, check to see if your letters of recommendation are coming from any places where you have interacted with families or couples. Even something as small such as DHS, a community center, a school, etc. looks really good to them. Lastly, just relax and read up on some of the theorists that do therapy to see how you like it. I recommend Salvador Minuchin, Carl Whitaker or Virginia Satir, all of them are amazing.

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -937
  • I own Malibu? I am going to fuck you.
« Reply #33 on: January 30, 2011, 09:25:34 AM »
mandible claw is right about everything he said here. Fellowships are given to grad school students all the time. Little ethnic song wasn't offered any, but it was probably more about him than the schools. I've gotten my whole ride paid for and am actually making money at a job I have for my research, so in the end I am actually profiting off of my masters immediately.
Sometimes I'm pretty sure a little ethnic song is fake as fuck.
Also, notice how despite the fact that he brags and brags about applying to PhD programs, he hasn't been accepted- so he doesn't know what gets you accepted. The fact that he couldn't get fellowship money for a master's does not speak well for his likelyhood of getting into a PhD program.
Are you a kook? If you would say this, the answer is “YES”
I quit skating for a time due to piling out

Bipsmound

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 803
    • Turd Magazine avatar image
« Reply #34 on: January 30, 2011, 10:43:08 AM »
Remember when Rawbertson was acting like the second coming of Gordan Gekko when he thought he was gonna get a job selling insurance or something?  Ethnicsong should've learned from his example.  A little humility goes a long way in this world and the next (Lucifer will poke the shit out of you with his trident for bragging about PhD programs).

P.S. Ethnicsong, I thought you said you weren't gonna come on here for a while because you had so much scholarly gold to mine.

alittleethnicsong

« Reply #35 on: January 30, 2011, 01:25:23 PM »
NYU, Columbia, Brown, Yale, U of Minnesota, and U. of Chicago, all explicitly state on their department websites, that--at least for my field--terminal masters do not get funding, at least it's not offered initially. Fellowships are only offered to those willing to go after the PhD. I'm sure there is ways around this, but I'm just repeating what they explicitly state.

I don't care enough about any of you to lie, and why would I lie about something that you can just go to their sites and look for yourselves?

I just got my BA in August, and this is my first attempt at applying to grad schools--never been turned down or passed over for anything yet. But, that is the nature of the beast, so I am prepared for none of these working out.

Personally, you don't get better grades than mine, or higher distinctions, so if none of these work out, it's not going to be due to my undergrad accomplishments. In the humanities, a lot depends on having some idea of what you want to focus on in your graduate work, and this makes your statement of purpose extra important. My Honors thesis is an example of what I want to do in my graduate research, and thus my writing sample (enomorous bonus that these committees look for), and my statement details two clear directions I want to follow.

By the way, Bipsmound--that "scholarly gold to mine," was called preparing to take the GRE, dipshit...

Alan

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2592
« Reply #36 on: January 30, 2011, 01:31:44 PM »
I don't care enough about any of you to lie, and why would I lie about something that you can just go to their sites and look for yourselves?

You care just enough to boast about your assumed academic achievements

but then

I just got my BA in August,

You are joking, right?
Hosin' out the cab of his pickup truck
He's got his 8-track playin' really fuckin' loud

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #37 on: January 30, 2011, 04:24:57 PM »
NYU, Columbia, Brown, Yale, U of Minnesota, and U. of Chicago, all explicitly state on their department websites, that--at least for my field--terminal masters do not get funding, at least it's not offered initially. Fellowships are only offered to those willing to go after the PhD. I'm sure there is ways around this, but I'm just repeating what they explicitly state.

I just got my BA in August, and this is my first attempt at applying to grad schools--never been turned down or passed over for anything yet. But, that is the nature of the beast, so I am prepared for none of these working out.

Personally, you don't get better grades than mine, or higher distinctions, so if none of these work out, it's not going to be due to my undergrad accomplishments. In the humanities, a lot depends on having some idea of what you want to focus on in your graduate work, and this makes your statement of purpose extra important. My Honors thesis is an example of what I want to do in my graduate research, and thus my writing sample (enomorous bonus that these committees look for), and my statement details two clear directions I want to follow.

By the way, Bipsmound--that "scholarly gold to mine," was called preparing to take the GRE, dipshit...

Thanks for the sig quote.
You should visit the real world before getting a humanities masters or you may end up pretty upset with yourself.

Reggie Nobles

• Rep: 84
  • oh no
« Reply #38 on: January 30, 2011, 04:32:01 PM »

hating on bipsmound... i hope you die in a pool of aids

seriously stop posting

Fine Young Cannibal

• Rep: 49
« Reply #39 on: January 30, 2011, 05:11:50 PM »
learn some brevity, jesus christ.
Impossible for any humanities graduate student.

See: any post written by Ronald Wilson Reagan

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #40 on: January 30, 2011, 06:44:49 PM »

Beer Keg Peg Leg

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -35
« Reply #41 on: January 30, 2011, 06:59:01 PM »
Expand Quote
NYU, Columbia, Brown, Yale, U of Minnesota, and U. of Chicago, all explicitly state on their department websites, that--at least for my field--terminal masters do not get funding, at least it's not offered initially. Fellowships are only offered to those willing to go after the PhD.
[close]

i'm getting my master's at NYU, with no phd after.  they give me the dolla dolla bills.

Expand Quote
Personally, you don't get better grades than mine, or higher distinctions, so if none of these work out, it's not going to be due to my undergrad accomplishments.
[close]

maybe it's because you're not very special.  it's not so uncommon to graduate undergrad with a 4.0.  i did, too.  and maybe it;s because you don't appear to be able to express a point without writing a full page of text.  learn some brevity, jesus christ.

in summation, your penis is on your forehead.

what are you doing your masters in?

Nosferatu

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 684
« Reply #42 on: January 30, 2011, 07:07:34 PM »
Mandible Claw, I know this question is the worst but... what do you intend to do with a masters in creative writing?
I thought it wasnt just him solo, shouldve stuck with my og thought.
R.I.P Rusty. One of us.

Pippen

• Rep: 16
« Reply #43 on: January 30, 2011, 08:51:58 PM »
Mandible Claw, I know this question is the worst but... what do you intend to do with a masters in creative writing?
also, how's being in the same dept. as jonathan safran foer? his books are ill!

daniel

• Rep: 35
« Reply #44 on: January 30, 2011, 09:38:16 PM »
I finished school in the spring with a Masters of Architecture.
It was an amazing experience, a lot of fun to have the space & time to get deeply involved in the work.
I'm not sure how research in other fields works, but my point of departure and statement of intent changed completely by the time I defended my thesis. It is a huge process of discovery.
I don't have any admissions advice for you; entrance to an M.Arch program is mostly portfolio based.

Now that I'm working I miss school & would love to be back there. The access to resources is amazing.

Little Ethnic song:

I was involved in teaching a handful of undergraduate courses. I observed and heard it said by professors, that 4.0 students are often not the sharpest, just well adept at kissing dick, taking themselves too seriously and jumping through hoops. Bravo.

« Last Edit: January 30, 2011, 09:41:18 PM by daniel »

pugmaster

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1537
  • Overweight and Underprepared
« Reply #45 on: January 30, 2011, 09:52:39 PM »
no one is taking YEARS off I already knew what I wanted to do ahead of time full steam AHEAD!

...if you don't know what you want to do though yeah wait and work different stuff until you find what you like.
"...We got the nuclear worm over here..."

Never forget:
Rusty_Berrings, 360 frip, Yapple Dapple, Bubblegum Tate

alittleethnicsong

« Reply #46 on: January 31, 2011, 04:16:08 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

You are joking, right?

Why?

I can't wait to hear this, and I bet what you say will be unpredictable, and totally surprising.

You know lots of incredible things are accomplished, lots of groundbreaking things are discovered and illuminated, and lots of beautiful and eternally significant things are published outside of academia, and by people who never even bothered with it in the first place...right?

And Daniel, not that your alleged experiences make much differene to me, but despite your comments, you realize that many 4.0s are also simply earned due to dedication, hard work, unique perspectives, etc....right?

alittleethnicsong

« Reply #47 on: January 31, 2011, 04:41:28 AM »

If two rounds of PhD applications were to bear no fruit, then I would settle for merely going after a masters...maybe.

And despite one's accomplishments and experience, this happens all of the time, because it all boils down to how clear one is on what they want to research in grad school, how clearly your intentions are expressed in your statement, and if this all fits in to what the department is looking for in the small group of PhD candidates they are choosing when one applies.

mandibleclaw, if you know as much as you claim to--then again, you are pursuing a masters in creative writing--then you know me being "special" has very little influence on me getting accepted, my proposed research is all that matters to these committees. That is why we write statements of academic purpose, and not personal statements--and if you are working on your masters and don't know the difference in the genres, than your department has my condolences. (By the way--you need school to write creatively? If you're not workshopping, I don't know what you're doing, unless you simply want a piece of paper to enable you to teach at the community college level...which is fine, it's all good).

I am applying to the American Studies program at NYU, so compared to your "creative writing," there must be a difference in funding, because terminal masters in American Studies get no funding.

And do you seriously think you know anything about my writing, based on how I write in some online forum? Seriously? Since we are talking about grad school, do you seriously think that because you consider me long-winded in here, that my--for instance--statement of purpose didn't fit into the 2 to 4 pages that was required?

alittleethnicsong

« Reply #48 on: January 31, 2011, 04:58:35 AM »
Sometimes I'm pretty sure a little ethnic song is fake as fuck.

Ron...old sport, you still mad about how completely fucking wrong you were a while back, about John Brown's (and his sons) substantial involvment in those treacherous "Bleeding Kansas Days"?

Even if I am "fake as fuck," at least my knowledge of basic American history is more extensive than yours. Fuck, to many people, John Brown is synonymous with Bleeding Kansas...silly  :-*

Alan

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
« Reply #49 on: January 31, 2011, 05:34:03 AM »
Why?

I can't wait to hear this, and I bet what you say will be unpredictable, and totally surprising.

You know lots of incredible things are accomplished, lots of groundbreaking things are discovered and illuminated, and lots of beautiful and eternally significant things are published outside of academia, and by people who never even bothered with it in the first place...right?

I'm just surprised that you haven't blessed this forum with links to your published work (which is full of incredible, groundbreaking, beautiful and eternally significant discoveries).

Or are you just speaking generally about other people who have actually accomplished something, while you yourself are just another idiot who thinks he's grabbed Kairos by the balls because he has a BA?

Bottom line: Links or gtfo.

Prison Wallet

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 510
  • I'm gonna break my leg off in your ass
« Reply #50 on: January 31, 2011, 05:54:34 AM »
After undergrad I went overseas and did rural development for four years, then came back and got a masters in counseling, certified in K-12 school counseling. I didn't have any money or financial aid line up so I did it on about 30K worth of student loans, but worth every cent. I pay about $300 a month on them but it doesn't affect my quality of life and I love my job, which I couldn't do without an MA.

The only thing I would have done differently would be shop different types of school loans and find out which loans offer loan repayment to school counselors working in under served sites.

alittleethnicsong

« Reply #51 on: January 31, 2011, 05:59:18 AM »
Expand Quote
Why?

[close]

I'm just surprised that you haven't blessed this forum with links to your published work (which is full of incredible, groundbreaking, beautiful and eternally significant discoveries).

Or are you just speaking generally about other people who have actually accomplished something, while you yourself are just another idiot who thinks he's grabbed Kairos by the balls because he has a BA?

I'm speaking generally.

I've had a couple of small things published, but nothing major. One thing in Slap, about a decade ago--a Stereolab interview, which was fun to do, but no big thing. I hassled Laetitia about just signing on a major label, and if she enjoyed not having to load and unload her own equipment anymore.

And I'm not worried about accomplishing anything, never have been--"I have no practical ambition" of any kind. School and me are just this thing that happened because I have done nothing but live, skate, travel, and enjoy life for the past 20-some years of my life, and now that my body is slowing down, I am ready to do this collegiate thing. I've been self-educating myself for the past 15 to 20 years because I love exploration and writing.

Are you worried about accomplishing things? Because I think all of this really ultimately means, is that you will make a much more productive, and thus paradoxically consumptive consumer than me.

Like a BA is one general thing, and they are all equal to each other in the amount of effort that is behind them. If you are some desperate hipster hungry for a career and "accomplishment," than I'm sure that your BA means nothing to you, because in general it won't make you much money. Especially when they come with earned distinctions, I feel bad for you, that money and careers make a BA seem so trivial to you. The national average of attrition, is nearly 50%--nearly half of all people that go after a BA or BS, don't make it.

No matter what you say, anyone who actually gets a degree, and puts their heart and soul into it, knows what an accomplishment it is. And since I did it strictly for the sake of doing it, your attempts to trivialize it, are really fucking futile--so save yourself the wasted time.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2011, 06:20:59 AM by alittleethnicsong »

Omamori

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -128
« Reply #52 on: January 31, 2011, 07:57:00 AM »
@crass, first let me say that it is very smart of you to try and go to graduate school in an area that has a low cost of living. The reason being that when you have to do your practicum and internship it will be like a full time job and you won't be able to work even if you wanted to unless it's the graveyard shift. Second, check to see if your letters of recommendation are coming from any places where you have interacted with families or couples. Even something as small such as DHS, a community center, a school, etc. looks really good to them. Lastly, just relax and read up on some of the theorists that do therapy to see how you like it. I recommend Salvador Minuchin, Carl Whitaker or Virginia Satir, all of them are amazing.
For most counseling programs, is there more research or practicum/internships? So far I have two professors for letters of recommendation, they are counselors. My third will be someone that I internship or volunteer with. Is there an easy place to get accept for an internship or volunteer service, like the DHS for example?

RicoTron

• Rep: 5
  • Beers, Boards, Bombs
« Reply #53 on: January 31, 2011, 08:15:56 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
For most counseling programs, is there more research or practicum/internships? So far I have two professors for letters of recommendation, they are counselors. My third will be someone that I internship or volunteer with. Is there an easy place to get accept for an internship or volunteer service, like the DHS for example?

Due to the masters degree being more applied oriented rather than research oriented (unless they offer an M.S.) 99% of the sites will be practicum/internship. The 1% that aren't are those that are researching new techniques for therapy, but you still interact with clients just not with the orientation that you may have learned to use. An easy place to volunteer at is shelters, crisis lines, and big brothers/big sisters. These places offer you the experience of interacting with people that are target populations, but they usually require a year commitment. Also Crass look into Americorps for writing off the hours you volunteer, if you do the minimum of I believe 300 hours they award you with a $1000 dollar grant to pay towards loans or schooling, plus they pay off any interested you accumulated while volunteering on top of that.

daniel

• Rep: 35
« Reply #54 on: January 31, 2011, 10:30:37 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

You are joking, right?
[close]

Why?

And Daniel, not that your alleged experiences make much differene to me, but despite your comments, you realize that many 4.0s are also simply earned due to dedication, hard work, unique perspectives, etc....right?

for sure, but those aren't usually the guys in skateboard forums on the internet taking themselves too seriously, being verbose for no reason & bragging about their academic accomplishments with a BA hung over the mantle.

Alan

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
« Reply #55 on: January 31, 2011, 10:40:54 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Why?

[close]

[close]

I'm speaking generally.

I've had a couple of small things published, but nothing major. One thing in Slap, about a decade ago--a Stereolab interview, which was fun to do, but no big thing. I hassled Laetitia about just signing on a major label, and if she enjoyed not having to load and unload her own equipment anymore.

And I'm not worried about accomplishing anything, never have been--"I have no practical ambition" of any kind. School and me are just this thing that happened because I have done nothing but live, skate, travel, and enjoy life for the past 20-some years of my life, and now that my body is slowing down, I am ready to do this collegiate thing. I've been self-educating myself for the past 15 to 20 years because I love exploration and writing.

Are you worried about accomplishing things? Because I think all of this really ultimately means, is that you will make a much more productive, and thus paradoxically consumptive consumer than me.

Like a BA is one general thing, and they are all equal to each other in the amount of effort that is behind them. If you are some desperate hipster hungry for a career and "accomplishment," than I'm sure that your BA means nothing to you, because in general it won't make you much money. Especially when they come with earned distinctions, I feel bad for you, that money and careers make a BA seem so trivial to you. The national average of attrition, is nearly 50%--nearly half of all people that go after a BA or BS, don't make it.

No matter what you say, anyone who actually gets a degree, and puts their heart and soul into it, knows what an accomplishment it is. And since I did it strictly for the sake of doing it, your attempts to trivialize it, are really fucking futile--so save yourself the wasted time.

So basically, you haven't done shit to warrant your self cheering orgies on here. Fake account.

Mouth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -297
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #56 on: January 31, 2011, 10:55:36 AM »
Jesus alittleethnicsong.

I can't believe I just read all three volumes of your pompous blustering and I still don't know what the fuck you are talking about.

Just get to the point and straight up tell us how truly brilliant and superior you are.

The suspense is killing me.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2011, 10:57:24 AM by Mouth »
'No Mouth, you have a negative rep because you are a fan of growing your wealth off of the backs of low paid workers and brag about having bodyguards. You literally kook people for doing charity in South East Asia. Don't deny it.'

alittleethnicsong

« Reply #57 on: January 31, 2011, 11:23:54 AM »
OK--once again those of you who are fragile, have turned a thread into a thread about me, which means I'm bored, and will let you run with it.

We're talking about something that one's grades and distinctions make every bit of difference, so every time I have mentioned my own, they have been in the context of whatever point I was trying to illustrate.

Mouth, after a few exchanges with you, it does not surprise me that you're lost. Good luck with that.

Fine Young Cannibal

• Rep: 49
« Reply #58 on: January 31, 2011, 03:42:00 PM »
^ So much for other people being fragile, huh?

Pippen

• Rep: 16
« Reply #59 on: January 31, 2011, 06:28:20 PM »
rest in pieces