Author Topic: Companies that you can't comprehend how they are in business  (Read 11738 times)

Filip

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -57
Re: Companies that you can't comprehend how they are in business
« Reply #60 on: March 12, 2011, 02:48:28 AM »
Expand Quote
i really don't understand how red bull can sponser all those events and teams, just with selling an energy drink
[close]

It cost REDBULL about  3 cents to make an 8oz can of that magic elixir. A case of REDBULL will cost you $32.00 for 24. at COSTCO.
REDBULL makes approx 50 cents profit from the sale of an 8oz can.
Thats a load of cash.
They have to sponsor all of those events and athletes. Advertising is a marketing expense and can be written off.

In Europe, a shitload of people drink vodka with Redbull and stuff like that, Red Bull is pretty big over here.

Wh0l3

« Reply #61 on: March 12, 2011, 08:16:43 AM »
Expand Quote
ill start it off by saying ambiguous and foundation
[close]

In the past 2.5 years I've only bought one deck that wasn't a foundation.

Seriously, though, how the shit does Gravis make any money on their skate shoes.  I've never seen them in any shops, and none of the giant online/mailorder people seem to carry them.  Also I've never even seen someone wearing them....Ever.

-mattyc

Gravis used to make a lot of non-skate shoes that look like skate shoes. It's owned by Burton and was their casual footwear line, it seems like they have merged it all into the IV SK8 line now. I think Burton is really successful so they have money to back them, and they charge like $60-$70 for waxed canvas vulcanized shoes, probably costing $5 to make a pair. Even their regular canvas joints are priced at $50-$55, and besides the poron insoles, they are probably the simplest sneakers you can get besides Keds (Not that that's a bad thing, I haven't had Gravis, it's just an indicator that they're probably made cheaply)

I've seen people wearing them, skaters and non-skaters, they sell them at Urban Outfitters.

finknoos

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -170
  • Typos here there and everywhere
« Reply #62 on: March 14, 2011, 04:20:13 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
ill start it off by saying ambiguous and foundation
[close]

In the past 2.5 years I've only bought one deck that wasn't a foundation.

Seriously, though, how the shit does Gravis make any money on their skate shoes.?  I've never seen them in any shops, and none of the giant online/mailorder people seem to carry them.?  Also I've never even seen someone wearing them....Ever.

-mattyc
[close]

Gravis used to make a lot of non-skate shoes that look like skate shoes. It's owned by Burton and was their casual footwear line, it seems like they have merged it all into the IV SK8 line now. I think Burton is really successful so they have money to back them, and they charge like $60-$70 for waxed canvas vulcanized shoes, probably costing $5 to make a pair. Even their regular canvas joints are priced at $50-$55, and besides the poron insoles, they are probably the simplest sneakers you can get besides Keds (Not that that's a bad thing, I haven't had Gravis, it's just an indicator that they're probably made cheaply)

I've seen people wearing them, skaters and non-skaters, they sell them at Urban Outfitters.

theyre doing prety well in the UK, skateshops get their skate shoes like the dylans, filters, artos etc. and shoe stores get all the ugly regular models that i guess still sell.

ive seen quite s few few skaters wearing them, especially the type that "like to look british"

RoedGroed

• Rep: 60
« Reply #63 on: March 14, 2011, 09:43:45 AM »
Globe. Haven't seen a globe shoe in Europe for like 5 years. Ipath as well.

Darkstar wheels are huge here, I guess that's where the money for the board team comes from.

Wh0l3

« Reply #64 on: March 14, 2011, 01:30:03 PM »

Darkstar wheels are huge here, I guess that's where the money for the board team comes from.

can anyone from australia say if Globe is popular there?

InternetDaddy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 42
  • sup breh
« Reply #65 on: March 14, 2011, 11:13:47 PM »
Hook-ups
Tensor, Ruckus, Silver, Hurricane*, Phantom*, Fury, Kreeper*, Destructo, Grind King, all those truck companies
Almost all Dwindle companies
Birdhouse
Given
Consolidated
Santa Cruz
The rebirth City Stars and Axion
Lucky, Black Panther, Reflex, Speed Metal Bearings

*High probability they are actually out of business.

I'm actually a big fan of lucky bearings, I've got the hardballs right now. They sell pretty well in my area (Northern VA). I totally agree on Destructo, I have never seen anyone ride them in real life.

I'd like to add Royal into the mix. They have a dope team, but I never see anyone riding them and the only shop around me that even carried Royal's went out of business years ago.
Look I'm not selling anything that doesn't have my jizz on it. I don't care how much is offered.

Estoowhit

• Rep: 4
« Reply #66 on: March 14, 2011, 11:49:51 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

can anyone from australia say if Globe is popular there?

They're not super popular amongst skaters but all the shops carry them. The bogan motorcross/scooter dudes all love them though, especially the high top ones.

Tony

• Rep: 7
    • Sleep Skateboards avatar image
« Reply #67 on: March 15, 2011, 02:57:54 PM »
Globe. Haven't seen a globe shoe in Europe for like 5 years.

I just skated a pair of Globes. Very comfy and are holding together.
Would totally buy another pair.

bumpnrun

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 45
    • Fairways & Flips avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #68 on: March 15, 2011, 04:15:40 PM »
Expand Quote
Hook-ups
Tensor, Ruckus, Silver, Hurricane*, Phantom*, Fury, Kreeper*, Destructo, Grind King, all those truck companies
Birdhouse
Given
Consolidated
Santa Cruz

[close]

I'm actually a big fan of lucky bearings, I've got the hardballs right now. They sell pretty well in my area (Northern VA). I totally agree on Destructo, I have never seen anyone ride them in real life.

I'd like to add Royal into the mix. They have a dope team, but I never see anyone riding them and the only shop around me that even carried Royal's went out of business years ago.

I've seen quite a few younger skaters riding Royals.  Hook-ups is funny.  There was a point in the 90's where Hook-ups was the best selling skateboard brand.  Saw it in a tws business publication back in the day.  Totally surprised me.  It was Hook-ups and Birdhouse running shit.  So messed up.

tom

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1001
  • the moon rules
« Reply #69 on: March 15, 2011, 05:23:36 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Hook-ups
Birdhouse
Given
Consolidated
Santa Cruz

[close]

[close]

I've seen quite a few younger skaters riding Royals.  Hook-ups is funny.  There was a point in the 90's where Hook-ups was the best selling skateboard brand.  Saw it in a tws business publication back in the day.  Totally surprised me.  It was Hook-ups and Birdhouse running shit.  So messed up.
you forget that one video called ''the end"? you might not have heard of it. hookups was also a shoe company
to clear up the redbull thing; it is redbull. they are a very large company, and in 2008 they made roughly 4.4 billion dollars. even if they didn't make a single dollar since the end of 08/early 09 it i safe to assume the 4.4 billion dollars could keep them in business, since it is kind of a lot of money to make on profits
fuck you bama

bumpnrun

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 45
    • Fairways & Flips avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #70 on: March 15, 2011, 09:26:10 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Hook-ups
Birdhouse
Given
Consolidated
Santa Cruz

[close]

[close]

[close]
you forget that one video called ''the end"? you might not have heard of it. hookups was also a shoe company
to clear up the redbull thing; it is redbull. they are a very large company, and in 2008 they made roughly 4.4 billion dollars. even if they didn't make a single dollar since the end of 08/early 09 it i safe to assume the 4.4 billion dollars could keep them in business, since it is kind of a lot of money to make on profits

lol.  Are you being facetious? 

The article was board sales and it was years before The End came out.  It was around the time Hook Ups came out with those red-eye shoes that came in a box that looked like a toy box.

jgonzalez

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 790
  • no not never. looser.
    • JGonz4ever avatar image
« Reply #71 on: March 15, 2011, 09:54:55 PM »
the type that "like to look british"

I'd like to hear the explanation of what that means.

nothing's been the since same

finknoos

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -170
  • Typos here there and everywhere
« Reply #72 on: March 16, 2011, 04:14:10 AM »
Expand Quote
the type that "like to look british"
[close]

I'd like to hear the explanation of what that means.

in short, think blueprint

goatsucker

• Rep: -23
« Reply #73 on: March 24, 2011, 08:14:02 AM »
i dont know how 1031, stacks, bummer high, and high five make it.

and all the sunglasses companies

1031 is pretty big where im at all the little kids eat there boards up nd there team is dope they came to the park i work at and they fucking kille it all there ams rip super hard

brokenheadphone

• Rep: -3
« Reply #74 on: March 24, 2011, 08:35:06 AM »
Hook-Ups sold a ton of clothes back around 95-96. They were huge with candy raver types that didn't even skate, especially girls. Hook-Ups t-shirts and Grind Inc. or Jnco pants/jeans. I remember the shoes. Bought a pair of green ones because they were on sale for $20. They kind of sucked for skating and they didn't seem very popular even with the candy ravers. Birdhouse decks were also hugely popular then...I have no idea why. They were stiff and brittle, and had weird shapes.

lol.  Are you being facetious? 

The article was board sales and it was years before The End came out.  It was around the time Hook Ups came out with those red-eye shoes that came in a box that looked like a toy box.

jgonzalez

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 790
  • no not never. looser.
    • JGonz4ever avatar image
« Reply #75 on: March 24, 2011, 02:12:47 PM »
Hook-Ups sold a ton of clothes back around 95-96. They were huge with candy raver types that didn't even skate, especially girls. Hook-Ups t-shirts and Grind Inc. or Jnco pants/jeans. I remember the shoes. Bought a pair of green ones because they were on sale for $20. They kind of sucked for skating and they didn't seem very popular even with the candy ravers. Birdhouse decks were also hugely popular then...I have no idea why. They were stiff and brittle, and had weird shapes.

nothing's been the since same