Author Topic: Radiohead - The King Of Limbs  (Read 11772 times)

Ernie McCracken

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 35
Re: Radiohead - The King Of Limbs
« Reply #30 on: February 25, 2011, 11:07:31 PM »
Shit is getting all kinds of crazy with the whole speculation of the king of limbs part 2. Yes some of it is ridiculous, but there is also a lot of interesting things. Check it out if you are a nerd for stuff like this and have no life like me.

http://www.thekingoflimbspart2.com/

After hearing how they want to continue to revolutionize the ways of releasing music after in rainbows, I knew that there had to be more coming because the release of The King of Limbs wasn't anything special. Either way, I can't wait to hear what Radiohead has in store.

mattyc

• Rep: -6
« Reply #31 on: March 01, 2011, 07:34:30 AM »
So I've been a huge radiohead fan for over almost 10 years now.  Was anyone else a bit underwhelmed?  8 tracks hardly constitutes an album.  The I might be Wrong live album was only 8 tracks and they never touted it as a full live album.  Also there just seems to be something missing from the album as a whole. I don't know what it is.  York's lyrics are always somewhat unintelligible, but seriously I'll be damned if I can recognize more than 10 words on the whole album (other than the song lotus flower).

-mattyc 
-mattyc

myrrh

• Rep: 2
« Reply #32 on: March 05, 2011, 03:50:14 AM »
I've listened to it a couple of times now. I found it really boring a couple of good songs though  Codex & Little by Little I liked.

Both sound wise and song wise I fell like nothing stuck out. Its all kind of bland. Arrangements and everything.

Hexagon

« Reply #33 on: March 06, 2011, 07:05:42 AM »
*YAWN*

Gay-diohead sucks. For real the first few albums were decent, anything after kid A is pretty much shit...well Kid A for that matter is semi-shitty with a few redeeming tracks. People keep shitting themselves over them and its bunk.

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 262
  • tiger style
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #34 on: March 06, 2011, 11:52:00 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Radiohead pretty much never disappoints, musically as well as just in their general way. While I doubt I'll buy the full Newspaper Album version, they are pretty much the only current band I would consider paying that much for something of theirs, simply because I know everything inside will be amazing.
As for their albums, I think In Rainbows is a very close second to OK Computer for me, so I'm really excited to see what the next one sounds like. Kid A, Amnesiac and Hail To The Thief grew on me a lot and I've gotten to enjoy some of their bleep-bloop stuff a lot more, but yeah, hoping for something equal to Rainbows I and II.
[close]
No love for The Bends?
[close]

The Bends defines early period Radiohead greatness to me, but as great as it is, it was still basically just rock and roll. With OK Computer and then more so with Kid A they really started making something new, and became ground-breaking and unclassifiable greatness. At least that's how I feel about it. Plus I don't have nostalgia for The Bends because I didn't really listen to it much when it was new so I see (or rather hear) it in a different light.

Listening to the stream of it now, thanks for the link. I'll be buying it for sure.

almost exactly how i feel except i really always liked the bends, just is one of the my favorite videos of all times.

but agree that OK computer was a definite high point and then didn't really get back into them until in rainbows and equally hyped to check out the new one for that reason.

you might want to check out the rainy dayz mix if you haven't heard it. few good jams on it.

Sarah Jessica ParkFootage

• Rep: 34
« Reply #35 on: March 06, 2011, 12:29:21 PM »
I'm not sure if I was underwhelmed as such, maybe more suprised by the subtleness of it all compared to In Rainbows... Anyway, this is the stand out track for me.

Bring on Part 2!
« Last Edit: March 06, 2011, 12:34:29 PM by Sarah Jessica ParkFootage »

whiteley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 362
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #36 on: March 08, 2011, 01:36:55 PM »
^^ cool on that remix news, hadn't seen that.
having spent more time with TKOL, i'm digging it even more. "little by little" and "separator" are my two favorites, though i like most all of it. i gave my mom's boyfriend at book for christmas that analyzes all different kinds of music in a similar way, radiohead right alongside mozart. kind of a theory book but written in an entertaining way. anyhow, after reading about radiohead in the book he got all interested in them and asked if i had any, so i made him a mix with a couple tracks off each of their main releases. now he and my mom are listening to radiohead all the time, pretty funny.
but yeah, really hoping there is a part 2 in short order, i'm definitely in the mood.

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 262
  • tiger style
« Reply #37 on: March 13, 2011, 08:01:52 AM »
after a few listens it grows on me more each time just like ok computer (not super hyped on first listen but grew on me more with each jam). really liking most of the songs at this point with separator and lotus flower being my goto's.

in rainbows was probably their most immediately assesible ablum that stuck with me. this ones not as immediate but definitely hyped on it.

Edward Sebastian

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -305
  • This is what we live for.
« Reply #38 on: March 14, 2011, 08:56:03 PM »
so i left the album alone for a couple weeks after listening to it when it first came out then listened to it again the other day. it's fucking amazing from start to finish
"RIP to myself one day" - JR Blastoff

smokecrack

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -160
« Reply #39 on: March 15, 2011, 08:56:03 PM »
i know this isn't necessarily Radiohead, butt fuck it, i'm throwing it in here:

Thom Yorke/Burial/Four Tet - "Ego" (starts at 2:30)

Thom Yorke/Burial/Four Tet - "Mirror"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MOwD67BIPMA&feature=player_embedded#at=24

http://pitchfork.com/news/41881-thom-yorke-burial-four-tet-team-for-split-12/
« Last Edit: June 29, 2011, 02:47:14 AM by smokecrack »

chuck d

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 234
« Reply #40 on: March 20, 2011, 10:01:34 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Radiohead pretty much never disappoints, musically as well as just in their general way. While I doubt I'll buy the full Newspaper Album version, they are pretty much the only current band I would consider paying that much for something of theirs, simply because I know everything inside will be amazing.
As for their albums, I think In Rainbows is a very close second to OK Computer for me, so I'm really excited to see what the next one sounds like. Kid A, Amnesiac and Hail To The Thief grew on me a lot and I've gotten to enjoy some of their bleep-bloop stuff a lot more, but yeah, hoping for something equal to Rainbows I and II.
[close]
No love for The Bends?
[close]

The Bends defines early period Radiohead greatness to me, but as great as it is, it was still basically just rock and roll. With OK Computer and then more so with Kid A they really started making something new, and became ground-breaking and unclassifiable greatness. At least that's how I feel about it. Plus I don't have nostalgia for The Bends because I didn't really listen to it much when it was new so I see (or rather hear) it in a different light.
I feel that.  I listened to Pablo Honey a little and OK Computer a lot, then sort of paid little attention to The Bends.  When Kid A and Amnesiac came out Radiohead became one of my favorite bands.  I returned to their early stuff and was amazed at how good The Bends is.  It is basically just rock, but it's really good.  Side note, I've buns'd two different girls after knowing what their tattoo with "Immerse your soul in love" was from.  Although, they both said that no one has ever known it before, which I doubt, so I'm not sure how much of a factor Radiohead lyrics really played.

And as Sleazy said, Just.

Sexy Alf

• Rep: 4
  • so damn sexy
« Reply #41 on: March 23, 2011, 04:27:01 PM »
So I've been a huge radiohead fan for over almost 10 years now.  Was anyone else a bit underwhelmed?  8 tracks hardly constitutes an album.  The I might be Wrong live album was only 8 tracks and they never touted it as a full live album.  Also there just seems to be something missing from the album as a whole. I don't know what it is.  York's lyrics are always somewhat unintelligible, but seriously I'll be damned if I can recognize more than 10 words on the whole album (other than the song lotus flower).

-mattyc 
As far as the content of the album, I was pleased; it was interesting to see them go such a different route after In Rainbows. However, I completely agree in regards to the length. 8 normal length tracks just isn't enough for an LP, imo.

Edward Sebastian

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #42 on: March 23, 2011, 08:59:39 PM »
it's not an album, it's an EP. they said themselves in interview that they're probably not going to bother with making full length albums any more, they'll just make music and when they think they have something good they'll just put it out

Ernie McCracken

« Reply #43 on: March 24, 2011, 02:57:24 PM »
http://www.theuniversalsigh.com/
I'm not really sure what the newspaper will be all about but if you are close to one of the locations where they are giving them out you should pick one up

worldclassflux

• Rep: -9
« Reply #44 on: March 27, 2011, 02:08:58 AM »
No joke, that shit straight up sucked.

Useless Wooden Bench

• Rep: 159
    • Pappy avatar image
« Reply #45 on: March 29, 2011, 02:41:56 PM »
http://www.theuniversalsigh.com/
I'm not really sure what the newspaper will be all about but if you are close to one of the locations where they are giving them out you should pick one up

Anyone manage to snag a copy of the newpaper? My city missed out but it sure has piqued my curiosity.

Ernie McCracken

« Reply #46 on: March 30, 2011, 10:37:19 AM »
You can download the pdf of it here
http://jazzsick.wordpress.com/2011/03/28/radiohead-the-universal-pdf/

also right below the download link it has news that on April 16 (record store day) Radiohead is going to release two news songs, Supercollider and The Butcher.

whiteley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 362
« Reply #47 on: April 19, 2011, 10:02:34 AM »
^ Just got an email from the Radiohead site with a link to download those two tracks for free! I'd imagine it went out to anybody who ordered TKOL through their site. Gonna grab them later today, but check your inbox if you ordered the album...

Ernie McCracken

« Reply #48 on: April 19, 2011, 04:53:55 PM »
The two new songs are great. I'm curious as to why they weren't put on The King of Limbs because they would seem to fit in well.

MyUserName

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 174
« Reply #49 on: April 19, 2011, 06:45:33 PM »
The two new songs are great. I'm curious as to why they weren't put on The King of Limbs because they would seem to fit in well.

Because they sound more like "The Eraser" rejects than Radiohead songs.

Ernie McCracken

« Reply #50 on: April 19, 2011, 10:29:40 PM »
The King of Limbs all together has that Thom Yorke Eraser loop heavy sound. It will be interesting to see how the new songs translate live. I think The Butcher and Supercollider are way better than anything on the Eraser though.

Edward Sebastian

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #51 on: April 22, 2011, 11:38:02 AM »
It will be interesting to see how the new songs translate live.

they've actually played supercollider live before, the song is like 3 or 4 years old

Ernie McCracken

« Reply #52 on: April 22, 2011, 01:08:49 PM »
Yeah I know, but that was mainly Thom Yorke playing it on the piano solo. I'm sure they'll play the full band version if they do play it live. I got to see the Atoms for Peace twice and the live full band renditions of songs off The Eraser were a million times better than the studio versions.

svilleantigo

• Rep: 61
« Reply #53 on: April 26, 2011, 07:02:42 AM »
Supercollider/Butcher single is bleh, IMO.. sounds more like the shitty first half of King of Limbs than the awesome second half. I'm a huge Eraser fan too, not anti-electronic Radiohead at all.. the hooks/songwriting just aren't there.

smokecrack

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -160
« Reply #54 on: June 29, 2011, 02:45:56 AM »