Mark Renton

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 288
  • Choose life.
Bilbao
« on: February 20, 2017, 11:01:14 AM »
Hi everyone
I've been selected for master thesis in Bilbao, Spain and it seems I'll be spending 4-5-6 months there starting in September.
Only thing I know about the place is the la kantera skatepark and aritz aduriz, so it would be rad if someone throws in some basic infos about how's living there, skating, partying. It also looks like a good place to surf, might try it!
I have only a couple days to decide, so cheers to everyone in advance
video tape yourself saving monks. dont just do it. make sure its caught on film.

alraunen

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 240
    • www.davidcampillo.net avatar image
Re: Bilbao
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2017, 11:51:37 AM »
The basque country in general have amazing skateparks, if you prefer street there's another famous spot called 'embarcadero' in basauri. But I'm pretty sure that it's plenty of spots.

I only skated in la kantera and for me it's the most magical place I ever skated with the beach behind the broken walls. I been more times in Bilbao without a Skateboard and it's great too. Amazing food and party but I think it's a little bit expensive compared to other Spanish cities but looks like a nice choice

Mark Renton

• SLAP Pal
  • Choose life.
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2017, 11:06:30 AM »
Cheers mate! I just found out I might be in the San Sebastian campus though lol. Still legit innit?
video tape yourself saving monks. dont just do it. make sure its caught on film.

N.L.

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2017, 11:15:34 AM »
Its been years since I've been to the Basque Country but I spent a couple of week trekking around with a Surfboard and skateboard and it was one of my best trips. Good surf, rad parks, nice people, culturally rich... I'm not sure why you're are debating this. Get stoked.

Ineffable Epoch

• Rep: -77
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2017, 04:12:05 PM »
Cheers mate! I just found out I might be in the San Sebastian campus though lol. Still legit innit?

I've been there 2 or 3 times, but none with a skateboard. 1 hour far from Bilbao by car tho, but San Sebastian has nice beaches, nice nightlife and you will eat like nowhere else. The food, the food is magic there, man. Also I remember a lot of people surfing, and I went to at least one legit skateshop, maybe there are more, so for sure there'll be a park and some spots near. The best will be to go there and ask. You will enjoy San Sebastian for sure!

alraunen

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 240
    • www.davidcampillo.net avatar image
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2017, 11:15:49 PM »
San Sebasti?n is a magical place, full of surfers and its just at one hour by train to bilbao, so you will have no problem to go to that skateparks around. But be prepared to splash the cash, it's the more expensive city of Spain (of course it will depend of your origin country)

Turtle Boy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 169
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2017, 05:06:42 AM »
San Sebastian/Bilbao are cool places to stay. I currently live really close.
It's the most expensive area in Spain, but way cheaper than most other european big cities.
You have a lot of skateparks around, and a big surf scene. Lot of beaches.

The only bad point could be the weather, sometimes it rains for 4 weeks straight. Other than that, it's quite dynamic from a cultural point of view. San Sebastian is 45 min from Biarritz, France, 3h from Bordeaux or Madrid, 6-7 (in train) from Paris or Barcelona.
Partying in San Sebastian is not the best but it's cool. You have Dabadaba and el Bukowski who have good programmations. Bataplan is a disco on the beach.
You have three main skateshops in San Sebastian: Flow, Skateshop, and LaPlaza.
 I think it's a nice place to finish your studies.

frontsideindy

• Rep: -122
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2017, 06:43:31 AM »
Congratulations Mark - you win the lottery.
6 Month in paradies.
Check www.zutskateparks.com this is the company
from the people behind la cantera- they build tons of parks
all over basque country french and spain side.

you have good people everywhere, streetspots,
great food and nice beaches. Get a car that you
can explore the small villages in that area - it's a blast.

getonkrooked

• Rep: -104
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2017, 07:00:36 AM »
All the pinchos in San Sebastian... holy shit it's just next level.

Mark Renton

• SLAP Pal
  • Choose life.
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2017, 02:20:20 PM »
So I'm officially going to San Sebasti?n.
Fun stuff: whenever I tell people (boys girls family friends etc) that I'm going there they tell me it's a beautiful place.  :)
Feel free to add more infos on Basque Country in general.

deltronico

« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2017, 12:28:27 AM »
Mrn Django on Vimeo

MRN - California Games - Raoni on Vimeo

If you are into street Skating there are plenty of spots with perfect ground. If you are into skateparks there are three. One is a piece of trash, one is not bad and the third one https://vimeo.com/105749411 is ok. This one is pretty close to the university area. By the way San Sebastian is a small city you can go everywhere by bike. There is a fourth skatepark indoor also close to the university area https://www.facebook.com/universeskatepark/

People is right, food is awesome. Girls are beautiful but they tend to be very frigid. Stick to the foreign girls.

South of France is 30 minutes away and there are building cool skateparks.

Lurk my vimeo is full of San Sebastian videos.

https://vimeo.com/beltranmrn

jonnysheen

• Rep: -63
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2024, 05:14:48 AM »
I'm thinking of going to bilbao for a 3 night stay.   There was an indoor park there but not sure if it's still open.  Anyone know?

If anyone knows any other parks please comment.   Don't have a car and much time to spend there. 

Mcidraque

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 208
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2024, 01:13:55 PM »
@Deltronico pretty much sum it up perfect about SSebastián. Also a basque video but more focused on the Bilbao-EMBarca-Basauri scene

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jT5hVdr1lto

both great cities but no doubt SSebastián wins on the quality of life etc. side of things