Author Topic: Kyle Leeper shares three reason why the vx-1000 is better than HD  (Read 4734 times)

networkskate.com

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 0
Click below to hear why Leeper would rather be filmed by a vx-1000 than HD
http://bcove.me/tab5t6pf

Vianouz

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -146
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: Kyle Leeper shares three reason why the vx-1000 is better than HD
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2011, 12:05:23 PM »
Micros are shitty on the HD cam, I really love the vx1000/Mk1 setup

Crazy Ralph

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 23
  • You're all gonna die!
    • ShredNJ avatar image
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2011, 12:13:15 PM »
vx1 mark1 til death
You either die a hero or live long enough to watch yourself become the Berra.

NOTjimmyastelford

• Rep: -13
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2011, 12:16:09 PM »
the fisheye and audio are the best.
I'm going to the one in Ontario. I got invented or else I wouldn't go.

MikeyPioggia

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -54
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2011, 12:20:56 PM »
"fat bill still uses it". very good reason. ive been filming with a vx1/mk1 for the past 6 years and still love it. i got a dvx100b about a year ago, but will always use the vx for fisheye, you cant beat it!

Bronson

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 80
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2011, 12:33:54 PM »
"fat bill still uses it". very good reason. ive been filming with a vx1/mk1 for the past 6 years and still love it. i got a dvx100b about a year ago, but will always use the vx for fisheye, you cant beat it!
I used to have a vx and mk1 but bought a dvx100 after spending too much money repairing constant little malfunctions on the vx. As of lately I've come to miss it quite a bit, especially since the fisheye on the dvx leaves a lot to be desired. It's just feels so risky buying a new one since they are all so old.

blatablatblau

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -51
  • smurfs up

A Rolled Ankle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 46
    • http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd158/mindhead84/rza_1455.jpg avatar image

anblue

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 81
  • You just got killed by a Daewoo Lanos, motherfucka
Who the fuck spends more than $5 at taco bell?
Being liked on slap is the only award

apow

• Rep: 78
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2011, 03:21:48 PM »

earlygrab

« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2011, 03:22:59 PM »
I feel naive for thinking he was going to offer some real arguments and not just reword his opinion 3 times.

obviously this is a taste preference, but I'd like to hear one of these "epic" film guys give a real reason outside of

"dude, it just looks better. fuck. HD is for fags."

For instance I get why fat bill uses it, it's aesthetic is embedded into his signature look. So if everyone likes the way it looks, I just want to hear an original opinion why.

greenwax

« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2011, 06:04:22 PM »
I feel naive for thinking he was going to offer some real arguments and not just reword his opinion 3 times.

obviously this is a taste preference, but I'd like to hear one of these "epic" film guys give a real reason outside of

For instance I get why fat bill uses it, it's aesthetic is embedded into his signature look. So if everyone likes the way it looks, I just want to hear an original opinion why.

yeah don't really get it. it seems to be just a matter of personal preference. i definitely think HD looks and sounds really good. it seems way less grainy than the vx1 and 2 stuff.

Trickskatin

• Rep: 53
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2011, 06:16:43 PM »
Kyle Leeper should really talk to this guy:

nylin

« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2011, 06:37:11 PM »
HD just sucks dick

earlygrab

« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2011, 06:44:59 PM »
Expand Quote

For instance I get why fat bill uses it, it's aesthetic that's embedded into his signature look. So if everyone likes the way it looks, I just want to hear an original opinion why.
[close]

yeah don't really get it. it seems to be just a matter of personal preference. i definitely think HD looks and sounds really good. it seems way less grainy than the vx1 and 2 stuff.

get what? I know my way around cameras. I've yet to hear an educated opinion. All I'm saying is if your an artist you should be able to talk about your work outside of either reading a spec chart or repeating "dude, it just looks better. fuck. HD is for fags." Not saying I expected leeper to do that, but  well. maybe I kinda hoped for once I would hear a valid reasoning.

I have zero preference. It's not the medium it's the message.

greenwax

« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2011, 06:50:34 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

For instance I get why fat bill uses it, it's aesthetic that's embedded into his signature look. So if everyone likes the way it looks, I just want to hear an original opinion why.
[close]

[close]

get what? I know my way around cameras. I've yet to hear an educated opinion. All I'm saying is if your an artist you should be able to talk about your work outside of either reading a spec chart or repeating "dude, it just looks better. fuck. HD is for fags." Not saying I expected leeper to do that, but  well. maybe I kinda hoped for once I would hear a valid reasoning.

I meant that 'I' don't understand the technical differences. not trying to speak on your behalf. I agree that the medium is irrelevant.

kind of lame of leeper to say that after manzoori put that sick video together.

pandarelated

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 90
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2011, 07:18:31 PM »
thats really weird as the last 2 leeper promos.. the rain one. the the "it's how you get there" one. .were both HD.

gsosa

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 292
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2011, 07:22:55 PM »
You guys are idiots, just because he likes how VX footage looks doesn't mean he's only going to film on it. He has contract obligations with Etnies and whoever else he rides for, so if they need him to put out an internet part out in HD he's going to have to do it if he wants to keep being sponsored by them. (Even if he likes VX footage better)
« Last Edit: March 10, 2011, 07:33:31 PM by gsosa »

greenwax

« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2011, 07:28:59 PM »
You guys are idiots, just because he likes how VX footage looks doesn't mean he's only going to film on it. He has contract obligations with Etnies and whoever else he rides for, so if they need him to put out an internet part out in HD he's going to have to do it if he wants to keep being sponsored by them.

what the fuck are you even talking about  ???

tre killa

« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2011, 07:38:06 PM »
My buddy just got a vx1000 and it is fucking awesome, I love it the footage is so nice.

qwertypoiuy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 59
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2011, 07:41:34 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

if your vx footy looks grainy then you dont know how to use your camera.

greenwax

« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2011, 08:11:21 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

if your vx footy looks grainy then you dont know how to use your camera.

i don't, but i've had friends with nice cameras that didn't know how to use them

Bubblegum Tate

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -1042
  • Slap's Resident Sneakerhead
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2011, 08:14:08 PM »
HD just sucks dick

and nothing beats the sound that the vx-1000 offers. No need for an external mic
Ethan Bubblegum Tate - Captain of the Harlem Globetrotters, lecturer of Physics at Globetrotter University.
Tate is one of the best posters that's not me

bakingsoda

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 20
« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2011, 08:51:28 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

get what? I know my way around cameras. I've yet to hear an educated opinion. All I'm saying is if your an artist you should be able to talk about your work outside of either reading a spec chart or repeating "dude, it just looks better. fuck. HD is for fags." Not saying I expected leeper to do that, but ? well. maybe I kinda hoped for once I would hear a valid reasoning.

Don't go around misquoting Marshall McLuhan thinking it's smart. But I think the reason most people prefer vx footage is because it presents footage with a certain look that has deep roots in skateboarding. It's got a certain nostalga to it that HD can't bring.
I mean if you see something that's been shot with a mark1 and a vx that's not skateboarding related I'm sure that even if just for a second, skateboarding in some way or another will cross your mind. It's tradition, it's just made itself part of skateboarding.

greenwax

« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2011, 08:59:28 PM »
Quote from: bakingsoda
Don't go around misquoting Marshall McLuhan thinking it's smart.

don't go around being a confrontational dickhead where it is clearly uncalled for.

second, skateboarding in some way or another will cross your mind. It's tradition, it's just made itself part of skateboarding.

I think it would be way more core to use vhs-c or 8mm tape.

in all seriousness it seems just to be a joke, the whole rivalry between HD and DV.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2011, 09:01:15 PM by greenwax »

bakingsoda

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2011, 09:10:47 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Quote from: bakingsoda
Expand Quote
Don't go around misquoting Marshall McLuhan thinking it's smart.
[close]

don't go around being a confrontational dickhead where it is clearly uncalled for.

Expand Quote
second, skateboarding in some way or another will cross your mind. It's tradition, it's just made itself part of skateboarding.
[close]

I think it would be way more core to use vhs-c or 8mm tape.

in all seriousness it seems just to be a joke, the whole rivalry between HD and DV.

I didn't say anything about core. 8mm? No, when has that ever been the most common form of skateboard documentation? It seems as though my point completely flew over your head.
Just to be clear I wasn't even being confrontational, you're just being a puss.

Mooley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 254
« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2011, 09:13:21 PM »
When HD was first popping up and all that shit with weird frame rates was all over the place I understood the resistance to it. Not now though, not when most people have a real good handle on it - French Fred alone is proving it's worthwhile.

earlygrab

« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2011, 09:17:01 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

get what? I know my way around cameras. I've yet to hear an educated opinion. All I'm saying is if your an artist you should be able to talk about your work outside of either reading a spec chart or repeating "dude, it just looks better. fuck. HD is for fags." Not saying I expected leeper to do that, but ?�well. maybe I kinda hoped for once I would hear a valid reasoning.

[close]
Don't go around misquoting Marshall McLuhan thinking it's smart. But I think the reason most people prefer vx footage is because it presents footage with a certain look that has deep roots in skateboarding. It's got a certain nostalga to it that HD can't bring.
I mean if you see something that's been shot with a mark1 and a vx that's not skateboarding related I'm sure that even if just for a second, skateboarding in some way or another will cross your mind. It's tradition, it's just made itself part of skateboarding.

ok, thanks for having an opinion. still not that interesting or original.nice try.  still, no need to jump on google to remember flunking art history. I have no idea who Marshall Mcccccccccccfuck off is.

bakingsoda

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #28 on: March 10, 2011, 09:24:23 PM »
He's probably the most famous media theriost that has lived. He said the "medium is the meassage."

greenwax

« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2011, 09:25:37 PM »
He said the "medium is the meassage."

don't go around misspelling quotations you big jerk