Author Topic: Biggest pet peeves while skating.  (Read 35103 times)

BraveUlysses

Re: Biggest pet peeves while skating.
« Reply #90 on: March 26, 2011, 06:05:25 AM »
 I used to like talking alot when I skated but like faster! said earlier in this thread now I hate it. Yesterday I was about to murder the person I was skating with. Every time I ran and jumped on my board to skate this manual pad he always had some new shit to say. I didnt want to be an asshole so I would come back and listen to what he had to say instead of trying my trick. After that we met his friend up at Arby's and they were talking the fuck outta me while I was trying to 3 flip this gap. In between tries the dude would tell me to watch his pressure flip attempts and told me about how he had them every try the other day and was offering me curly fries, it was so hard to focus.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2011, 06:21:07 AM by BraveUlysses »

finknoos

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -170
  • Typos here there and everywhere
« Reply #91 on: March 28, 2011, 05:34:27 AM »
I used to like talking alot when I skated but like faster! said earlier in this thread now I hate it. Yesterday I was about to murder the person I was skating with. Every time I ran and jumped on my board to skate this manual pad he always had some new shit to say. I didnt want to be an asshole so I would come back and listen to what he had to say instead of trying my trick. After that we met his friend up at Arby's and they were talking the fuck outta me while I was trying to 3 flip this gap. In between tries the dude would tell me to watch his pressure flip attempts and told me about how he had them every try the other day and was offering me curly fries, it was so hard to focus.

theres your problem

full pockets is a big one, weirds me out
hitting rocks and falling unexpectedly
"can you kickflip?" or really anyone asking me if I can do "trick X" or whatever. There was some 32 year old guy at the park the other day who was asking if I could manual...
little kids wanting to play skate, and then immediately saying "berrics rules?" because they can't no-comply
longboarders
the exodus of little kids from minivans into the park at the end of the school day (solved by arranging my course load so that I have gaps around 11-2 most days, park's usually empty)
kids who don't skate but come lurk with their friends
the fact that 99% of my friends quit skating
15 year olds asking to bum cigarettes from me
fights
15 year olds who are just getting into smoking weed and do it at the park and act like retards

security guards

fucking all of this!! except from when kids ask if you can do stuff, i always find that funny.

this one yesterday was like "r u sponsored? can u grind?" i just started laughing, but normally if i get some kid saying can you do a kickflip or whatever ill say something jockish like "fuck yah dude, check it" and do a completley different trick like a 180 or shuv it

InternetDaddy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 42
  • sup breh
« Reply #92 on: March 28, 2011, 09:52:22 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

theres your problem

Expand Quote
full pockets is a big one, weirds me out
hitting rocks and falling unexpectedly
"can you kickflip?" or really anyone asking me if I can do "trick X" or whatever. There was some 32 year old guy at the park the other day who was asking if I could manual...
little kids wanting to play skate, and then immediately saying "berrics rules?" because they can't no-comply
longboarders
the exodus of little kids from minivans into the park at the end of the school day (solved by arranging my course load so that I have gaps around 11-2 most days, park's usually empty)
kids who don't skate but come lurk with their friends
the fact that 99% of my friends quit skating
15 year olds asking to bum cigarettes from me
fights
15 year olds who are just getting into smoking weed and do it at the park and act like retards

security guards
[close]

fucking all of this!! except from when kids ask if you can do stuff, i always find that funny.

this one yesterday was like "r u sponsored? can u grind?" i just started laughing, but normally if i get some kid saying can you do a kickflip or whatever ill say something jockish like "fuck yah dude, check it" and do a completley different trick like a 180 or shuv it

bahahahahaha, I'll have to start doing that. It's hilarious and annoying when kids ask if you're sponsored, kind of gives you insight into the whole reason they started skating...i love when they ask me if I'm sponsored right after they watched me eat shit trying to pivot-fakie or some shit, haha. priceless.
Look I'm not selling anything that doesn't have my jizz on it. I don't care how much is offered.

jimi420

« Reply #93 on: March 28, 2011, 04:08:02 PM »
When you're playing a game of skate and the person  you're playing against counts tricks even if they bounced off after landing the trick.
When people say "Well there's no camera so I'm not gonna try it."
Fat kids asking to borrow your board.

InternetDaddy

• SLAP Pal
  • sup breh
« Reply #94 on: March 28, 2011, 04:40:07 PM »
When you're playing a game of skate and the person  you're playing against counts tricks even if they bounced off after landing the trick.

that's the worst.
Look I'm not selling anything that doesn't have my jizz on it. I don't care how much is offered.

ChildOfTheBurbs

• Rep: -65513
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #95 on: March 28, 2011, 04:40:59 PM »
kids.

BriDen

« Reply #96 on: March 28, 2011, 04:50:41 PM »

Like they land on the board then jump off? I'm probably the most lax dude on what "counts" in a game of skate, but come on, you gotta ride away. I'm not one for having "rules," but there are some unwritten guidelines that people should follow.

jimi420

« Reply #97 on: March 28, 2011, 06:42:07 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Like they land on the board then jump off? I'm probably the most lax dude on what "counts" in a game of skate, but come on, you gotta ride away. I'm not one for having "rules," but there are some unwritten guidelines that people should follow.
That's it basically. They land on the board then jump off automatically. I usually just go with it if the kid is a lot younger than me.

Expand Quote
[close]

that's the worst.
That's why nobody around where I live gets any better. Nobody wants to break themselves off if there's no camera.

ChildoftheGhetto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -1323
  • Nathaniel Turner with a burner
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #98 on: March 28, 2011, 07:06:27 PM »
You don't get better by breaking yourself off. You get better by skating everyday. If you break yourself off, then you can't skate.

jimi420

« Reply #99 on: March 28, 2011, 08:25:43 PM »
You don't get better by breaking yourself off. You get better by skating everyday. If you break yourself off, then you can't skate.
I just meant it as in nobody will try anything remotely new unless it's on a manual pad/ledge or there's a camera. And getting broke off just to do it is way better than just saying "No, nobody is going to see it so there's no point."

ChildoftheGhetto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #100 on: March 28, 2011, 08:35:31 PM »
That's how you get better skating manual pads and ledges. and in all honestly if there's a chance you would get broke off, why not document it? I highly doubt people are skating 12+ stairs/rails without documenting it, unless it's a warm up tricks.

jimi420

« Reply #101 on: March 28, 2011, 08:53:37 PM »
You're only going to get better at what you practice. If all you do is skate pads and ledges all you're going to know how to do is skate pads and ledges. I'm not saying go completely ape and throw yourself down huge sets of stairs but don't just limit yourself to little things because nobody is going to see it. Skate to progress, not to show off.

ChildoftheGhetto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #102 on: March 28, 2011, 09:04:13 PM »
There's really no point to go skate shit that's more than 9 stairs on a regular basis.

jimi420

« Reply #103 on: March 28, 2011, 09:15:56 PM »
I'm not saying to skate just the gnarliest thing possible, I'm talking about pushing your limit on something that might possibly injure you. Even if you suck and all you can do is back 180 a 6 or a shitty little grass gap, just try for that extra step or that next bigger gap. Don't just say "Oh there's no camera so i'm not going to try anything that I might not be able to get." Around here nothing new ever happened because people only wanted to try if there was proof that they did it on film. Just do it just to get better.

InternetDaddy

• SLAP Pal
  • sup breh
« Reply #104 on: March 28, 2011, 10:11:29 PM »
There's really no point to go skate shit that's more than 9 stairs on a regular basis.

H8R part 4

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -301
« Reply #105 on: March 29, 2011, 06:22:49 AM »
people who roll right towards me when they know i'm going to skate in that direction.  you know we're all lined up to hit the ledge, why are you coming right at me?  why are you skating right next to the ledge and keeping people from going?

not that these have anything to do with skating but...

people who invade my personal space.  i was on the subway the other day, seats all around me...why you posting up right next to me asshole!

people who eat on the subway.  why do i have to be subjected to the smell of your nasty food?  the worst is when they have french fries covered in ketchup and heat from the fries starts to cook the vinegar off.  the smell of hot ketchup is frickin disgusting.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2011, 06:25:09 AM by faster! »

Jamario Jackson

• Rep: -14
    • keepingitunderground NC avatar image
« Reply #106 on: March 30, 2011, 10:27:17 AM »
mine would probably be trying to sesh to or film a trick, and you got like  10 random homies walking and talking and being lound and just throwing your groove off
JMO

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1959
« Reply #107 on: March 30, 2011, 10:30:57 AM »
I hate when little kids who skate the speed of a turtle try to beat me to an obstacle when I'm already headed full speed for it.

ChildoftheGhetto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #108 on: March 30, 2011, 01:39:28 PM »
I'm not saying to skate just the gnarliest thing possible, I'm talking about pushing your limit on something that might possibly injure you. Even if you suck and all you can do is back 180 a 6 or a shitty little grass gap, just try for that extra step or that next bigger gap. Don't just say "Oh there's no camera so i'm not going to try anything that I might not be able to get." Around here nothing new ever happened because people only wanted to try if there was proof that they did it on film. Just do it just to get better.
most people that skate stairs don't skate big stairs everyday. They practice on small ones until it's time to film. exactly what you're friends are doing, except it sounds like they suck because they don't skate, not because they aren't trying to get broke off.

kevbo999

« Reply #109 on: March 30, 2011, 04:50:10 PM »
When people call out the trick they're about to not land.  Guy at the park goes off on how "this is the best switch 360 you'll ever see!  watch this, best switch 360 of all time!  right here!", then tries a heelflip on a bank and bails. 

This isn't really a peeve.. but some dudes were filming on the stairs.  Buddy gets a trick, goes back up, tries something else then says "I'm just gonna try this until he gets his trick."  I thought it was an awkward thing to say.

I try to be quiet though, the last thing I want to do is be a prick to another skater who I know nothing about.

Cockaigne

• Rep: 0
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #110 on: March 31, 2011, 05:26:15 AM »
Having poser kids at the spot, copying everthing you're trying.

Yesterday this happened at a park, and after an hour, one of my friends said to the kid: hey you are copying us aren't you?
So the kid said: aaaaahhh (stupid fucking face) yes.

So I told em, you know it's kind of funny when everything you do get copied, it gets to be a bit anoying.....

and he literaly said: But I can't think of things for myself.

after that he just stood still for about 20 minutes.

MostlyLurkin'

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -49
« Reply #111 on: March 31, 2011, 07:03:19 PM »
I hate it when people start trying the same trick as me. When people do that I feel like they are kind of trying to show you that they are better than you/equally good as you. Makes me wanna rip some faces off.

gaunting

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 186
« Reply #112 on: April 02, 2011, 11:40:07 AM »
yea, i hate that shit too.
This has me cracking up, what exactly does Black Flag have to do with measuring your dick starting behind ya nuts?

Skateboarding is nothing but a game to find the right fits to appear like you're a proportional human being instead of a midget or a giant.

toque

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 122
    • Portmanteau avatar image
« Reply #113 on: April 03, 2011, 11:58:13 AM »
Expand Quote
There's really no point to go skate shit that's more than 3 stairs on a regular basis.
[close]

One pet peeve is that I constantly have to switch out bearings.  Every single time I go skateboarding one wheel is spinning poorly.  Even if I get a whole new set,  no matter what type they are,  they end up going to shit in a week or two. 

wheee!

chillout

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 9
  • beer
« Reply #114 on: April 05, 2011, 08:19:06 PM »
I hate it when people start trying the same trick as me. When people do that I feel like they are kind of trying to show you that they are better than you/equally good as you. Makes me wanna rip some faces off.

agreed. even worse is when youre about to try a trick and you see someone else try it, so then you dont wanna copy them

Frank the Rabbit

• Rep: 5
« Reply #115 on: April 09, 2011, 08:52:13 AM »
I hate it when I get a boner when rolling up to a trick.

Don't knock masturbation. It's sex with someone I love.
I'm so high right now, what's going on??

BriDen

« Reply #116 on: April 09, 2011, 09:06:07 AM »
I hate it when I get a boner when rolling up to a trick.

douchepickel

• Rep: 0
« Reply #117 on: April 16, 2011, 09:15:40 PM »
When your dumbass friends are wearing headphones and you have to repeat yourself to talk to them. 

Omamori

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -128
« Reply #118 on: April 16, 2011, 11:25:48 PM »
Kids that sit around the park
People that try the same trick for a long time
Trying a trick (ex. 360 flip) if you can barely ollie

ChildoftheGhetto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #119 on: April 16, 2011, 11:29:29 PM »
Kids that sit around the park
People that try the same trick for a long time
Trying a trick (ex. 360 flip) if you can barely ollie
How else are you supposed to learn new tricks?