Author Topic: Des Moines  (Read 1499 times)

gmgscigmgsci

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -14
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Des Moines
« on: March 15, 2011, 11:21:12 AM »
I am moving to Des Moines either May or June and I figured at least some slap pals would be down there.

My apartment is about a 30 minute drive from Ankeny skate park, and thats the only park I know of nearby.

Gnarwhal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -20
Re: Des Moines
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2011, 01:52:07 PM »
isnt heath's shop in des moines?

Dr Steve Brule

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 68
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2011, 02:34:40 PM »
Yeah Subsect isn't too far away from my place
For Your Health

MS1605

• Rep: -5
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2020, 06:21:16 AM »
Bumping this jawn to keep all the information in 1 thread...

Anything good Downtown Des Moines?

I'm on my way here right now for a week of work and would love to check out some spots after hours.

Anything?
Old man.

Crailslideyoface

• Rep: 38
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2020, 09:47:01 AM »
Late to this, but KC is only a couple hours away. Come down this spring and skate with us
I wanna crap in a box just to mail it to you so your bitch ass can smell it

ratking

• Rep: 5
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2023, 04:43:38 PM »
Anywhere to skate in the downtown area? I'm going to be there this weekend to check out the festivities and skate a bit

Jehoshaphat Augustus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 298
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2023, 09:20:37 AM »
I was thru here in September and man oh man... pardon me while I whip this out...images + addresses copied and pasted from my nerd trip itinerary

first you got Lauridsen on the northside/downtown river walk. 901 2nd Ave, Des Moines, IA 50309

its pretty chill in the morning but it looks like this image or worse later

look at these fuckers, You gotta go fast, and you stick out like a sore thumb... for sure a bust till later or the weekend
1506 Locust St, Des Moines, IA 50309, USA

Similarly is the Neal Smith Federal Building, EXCLUSIVELY after business hours spot. I looked, it was too hot for my liking but you might be bout it bout it   210 Walnut St, Des Moines, IA 50309, USA

And if you do make it to KC hit this place up (4198 Kenwood Ave, Kansas City) good morning warm up spot but also very memorable and fun.

ratking

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2023, 09:59:13 AM »
Much appreciate all the info man. Definitely checking out the 15th and Locust deal. That second spot may be a little spicy but I'll swing.
I LOVE the slabs, I'm actually from KC. Learned to wallie on that weird cylinder shaped structure.

Going to check out the park also, hopefully it doesn't look like that when I'm there

Grant Patronik

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Rep: 16
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2023, 11:55:46 AM »
Much appreciate all the info man. Definitely checking out the 15th and Locust deal. That second spot may be a little spicy but I'll swing.
I LOVE the slabs, I'm actually from KC. Learned to wallie on that weird cylinder shaped structure.

Going to check out the park also, hopefully it doesn't look like that when I'm there

There are tons of spots by that ledge spot he posted. Push around and you’ll find stuff. Check out subsect. Also some ledges at the Science Center.

hiljentaa

• Rep: 304
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2023, 01:00:32 PM »
Skated the new park on the river a couple times while driving thru.

Place is huge and worth the detour, but definitely get there early and check to see how windy it will be that day before stopping by.

There's also another modern smaller plaza style park outside of town.

Grant Patronik

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Rep: 16
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2023, 01:20:14 PM »
Skated the new park on the river a couple times while driving thru.

Place is huge and worth the detour, but definitely get there early and check to see how windy it will be that day before stopping by.

There's also another modern smaller plaza style park outside of town.

Forgot to mention this! The park in West Des Moines is one of the best that I’ve ever skated.

igrindtwinkies

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 373
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2023, 11:41:42 PM »
They keep Lauridsen lit pretty late.  I skated there midnight to 2 ish AM and it was pretty empty.  Probably a bit different on a weekend, but it might be a good time to hit it.

ratking

« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2023, 06:18:51 PM »
This cute thing is just across the lawn at 1506 locust.

Nice little bank to curb at 800 Locust as well. There is a parking garage across the street that was very serviceable during a bit of rain.

Overall Des Moines has some good skate. The new park is a good time. Anything you could want. I drove by the West Des Moines park and it looked pretty sweet. I didn't get to skate there unfortunately. Subsect is cool af though. Lots of selection.