Author Topic: bringing your board to social outings/school/work?  (Read 21096 times)

bakedRice

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -20
bringing your board to social outings/school/work?
« on: April 04, 2011, 03:15:11 PM »
how do you guys feel about bringing your board out to places? i dont know why, but in my head i still treat skating like its the late 80's, though i wasnt even born then. i dont like to bring my board to class, always keep it in the locker, and when i chat with people at school or work i rarely bring up skateboarding, even if they ask me what i like to do or hobbies, etc...

just want to see how others handle the "o you skate" type of conversation... i just tend to avoid it and hide it. i feel like once youre done high school people just assume everyone is boring and just do the typical things, and i dont like putting attention on myself, plus people always ask you to do shit and act impressed, id rather let them think im "just another guy" then have stupid subculture questions.

William Jefferson Clinton

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -228
Re: bringing your board to social outings/school/work?
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2011, 03:27:24 PM »
Same, I only talk about skating with people who skate and only keep the board in the locker.

MyUserName

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 168
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2011, 03:35:36 PM »
I just talk about whatever and hope they see this when I speak.

highgrade

• Rep: 36
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2011, 03:41:01 PM »
I talk about whatever comes up if chillen with people that dont skate. Honestly dont hang out with too many people that dont skate though, or atleast used too. I pretty much always bring my zigzagger to the bar/parties, easier to get around and people are less likey to fuck with you in a bad part of town with a skateboard to crack them with.

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1963
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2011, 03:55:44 PM »
I skate around campus a lot, just because it's fun. As for conversations, I don't like to have them with people who don't skate, because I always just get the general questions and statements that just aren't worth explaining to somebody who doesn't skate. But I don't really hide it.

kellen

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2011, 03:58:38 PM »
I'll skate to class every now and then;  Sometimes I have to put up with stupid questions or the random douche that yells "skate or die".  My friends/acquaintances all now I skateboard so it's not that big a deal if I bring my board to a party or something like that.

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2011, 04:19:44 PM »
friends/acquaintances
Yeah dude, what do you call them? Friends or acquaintances?  This dude I skate with every weekend, we hardly ever talk, just skate, not sure if I should call him a friend or acquaintance/

Tyroneshoelaces

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -597
  • who knows
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2011, 04:30:19 PM »
Expand Quote
friends/acquaintances
[close]
Yeah dude, what do you call them? Friends or acquaintances?  This dude I skate with every weekend, we hardly ever talk, just skate, not sure if I should call him a friend or acquaintance/

those are always odd relationships.  spend all day together a couple times a week but then go seperate ways to seperate crews.  skating is rad.

I don't really hide it.
where is home?

bakedRice

• Rep: -20
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2011, 04:32:13 PM »
Expand Quote
friends/acquaintances
[close]
Yeah dude, what do you call them? Friends or acquaintances?� This dude I skate with every weekend, we hardly ever talk, just skate, not sure if I should call him a friend or acquaintance/

thats a skate homie. not a real homie, but still higher up on the list than many other so called friends or acquaintances. i have a couple guys i know like that, theres really not much banter between tricks but theyre still better friends than most ppl i know just cause theyre always down to go skate.

friends/acquitances that dont skate sometimes make it worse, cause they try to relate when in fact have no clue on what brand your board is or what real tricks are.

daniel

• Rep: 35
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2011, 04:59:41 PM »
i generally hate bringing the board around.

there is always some dude who used to skate that wants to talk about muska & try to do a stationary heelflip.

better to avoid it.

superslopp

« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2011, 05:11:48 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
friends/acquaintances
[close]
Yeah dude, what do you call them? Friends or acquaintances?� This dude I skate with every weekend, we hardly ever talk, just skate, not sure if I should call him a friend or acquaintance/
[close]

thats a skate homie. not a real homie, but still higher up on the list than many other so called friends or acquaintances. i have a couple guys i know like that, theres really not much banter between tricks but theyre still better friends than most ppl i know just cause theyre always down to go skate.

friends/acquitances that dont skate sometimes make it worse, cause they try to relate when in fact have no clue on what brand your board is or what real tricks are.

those friends are definitely the worst, especially when you're watching a skate video and they're in the room. my friend's cousin insists on watching videos with us before we go out skating even though he's never touched a board in his life, and he'll constantly fire off comments about how either tony hawk or rodney mullen (those are the only names he knows) are better than whoever is currently on the screen. i made the mistake of watching stay gold with him in the room and he totally killed reynold's part for me. he informed me that tony hawk could do everything he was doing first try. and the ender was just a kickflip, can you believe that? just a kickflip!

tangar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 64
  • THINK LESS
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2011, 05:16:36 PM »

I hope to shake your hand one day sir. has it faded or bled or does it still look that proper?
Man the long board truck thing killed indy for me. I was willing to set aside the racism, but long boarding, gtfo... - DH

mandibleclaw

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 559
  • "RIP to myself one day." -jereme rogers
    • mandible claw avatar image
  • Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2011, 05:24:34 PM »
i skate to everywhere.
We are a noble sport more noble than any other

Snake Stake

« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2011, 05:30:28 PM »
Sometimes bring it to the BAR because if you skate home wasted and eat shit CAUSE YOU'VE BEEN BOOOOOZING and someone that can get you in trouble sees you, you can just be like "aww man a rock".

This makes sense in my head.

BraveUlysses

« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2011, 05:32:52 PM »
The only thing that bothers me when people find out that I skate is that they start thinking I listen to Green Day or some bullshit. Someone once asked me if my goal was to go to the x-games. I've also been asked while wearing headphones if I was listening to skater music. If you are black and you skate you have the opportunity of receiving extra ignorant questions too.

The Twilight Zone

« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2011, 05:49:18 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I hope to shake your hand one day sir. has it faded or bled or does it still look that proper?

Filip

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -69
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2011, 05:52:39 PM »
Some people from college know that I skate, but that is just because I always keep my board in the trunk of my car, and if Im giving somebody a ride to a train station ,and they have a suitcase with them, I put it in the trunk and they see the board. Its funny, they sometimes want to try it, and Im down, I always like to see my friends fall on their asses while trying to skate on the parking lot. Pretty much, if people are down with skating, Im down to borrow my board to try out.

And outside of school, I dont really hang out with that much people, Ive had the same group of friends for the last 10 years, from which 9 Ive spend skating, so they know. If Im with skaters, we talk about skating, If not, I dont bring it up, Its nice to talk about something else with people, who dont know shit about skateboarding, good relax..

Burton Ernie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 68
    • Black Mesa avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2011, 06:05:51 PM »
I sometimes have to park far away from my work (an Apple store) and will skateboard there from my vehicle. Most people look kind of amazed when i walk in with it. I've even heard the comment "what are you, five?". Regardless it's kind of funny I guess because I'm over 30 and I don't think I'm "supposed" to be playing with skateboards or whatever. I just think about when I'm 40 and still in shape and they are all approaching heart attacks and obesity and it evens out.

ChildOfTheBurbs

• Rep: -65513
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2011, 06:14:21 PM »
boards to school is NO.

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1034
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2011, 06:21:21 PM »
i came up through the "niggas don't skate days" but i kinda always felt like my board made me a little better, cause people knew, i wasn't those dudes over there. In torward the end of highschool i kept my shit aside cause it was so many lame as dudes on that cky/bam kick. so it was like so i didnt want be associated with those dudes.

Now im cool with myself, so i skate everyday to class. if someone says something whatever. i skate to work, to the store (it helps that i dont have whip) take my board any and everywhere. If so dude wants to start some dude starts some stupid convo about where to buy trucks i tell em where the shop is if its some asshole, i just blow em off.

My only problem is that i hate when people touch my shit, it aint a toy.

Chris P. Bacon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -113
  • CA All Day
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2011, 06:40:22 PM »
youre a bitch if you care that people know you skate

Lenny the Fatface

« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2011, 06:44:42 PM »
The only thing that bothers me when people find out that I skate is that they start thinking I listen to Green Day or some bullshit. Someone once asked me if my goal was to go to the x-games. I've also been asked while wearing headphones if I was listening to skater music. If you are black and you skate you have the opportunity of receiving extra ignorant questions too.

This. This. This.

nylin

« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2011, 06:45:58 PM »

spare change

« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2011, 07:07:30 PM »
After you realize this is something you'll be doing as long as you can walk you don't really think about it.
People that don't skate are curious. They ask because they wish they had enough skill and balance to figure out how to ride one.
Theyre trying to relate socially.Some are good at it, others not so much. I don't give a shit what anyone thinks of me, theyre wrapped up in whatever bs people that don't skate think about.

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2011, 07:22:39 PM »
This bitch that sits by me in one of my classes all talks bs about skating and how she runs a "Skate Apparael Company" brought a video 6 ,7, or 8 weeks ago of her and her "guy" friends skating, it fuckin sucked, she just cruised, her friends were the biggest douches, pre ripped jeans, flat bill hats, orange beanines and all that bullshit. It was basically a bunch of pussies boardsliding 4  inches on a flat rail and a whole bunch of other bullshit.  After it was over I said straight up to her " that fuckin sucked dick".  It was tight. I hate that bitch.

ohyouskatewhocares

• Rep: -17
  • shaolinshaolin
« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2011, 07:48:05 PM »
;D yes

Doogie Howser Ph.D.

« Reply #26 on: April 04, 2011, 07:53:32 PM »
People in high school are fucking idiots, I would never talk to them about skating..  "You sk8 omg omg me 2 I like Rob Dyrdek hez so good"

ChildOfTheBurbs

• Rep: -65513
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #27 on: April 04, 2011, 08:01:40 PM »

yup.

AnklePants

• Rep: -10
« Reply #28 on: April 04, 2011, 08:22:10 PM »
To most non skateboarders I know, Rob Drydek = Skateboarding.
Also, apparently skating is super easy, and you make tons of money doing it.

Last week, a kid told me i should play football next year, I asked him why, and he said to me, "what are you gonna say when your kids asked what you did in high school?  All you did was skate."   I laughed.  Someone else told me, "I give it up to skaters.  They bust their ass everyday."  Good feeling.

InternetDaddy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 42
  • sup breh
« Reply #29 on: April 04, 2011, 08:24:53 PM »
for the most part I don't care whether or not people know I skate. The only time it gets really annoying is when people expect me to be a one man demo for them just because I have a skateboard in my trunk. "do a kickflip." "show me a trick." it gets kind of old.

This bitch that sits by me in one of my classes all talks bs about skating and how she runs a "Skate Apparael Company" brought a video 6 ,7, or 8 weeks ago of her and her "guy" friends skating, it fuckin sucked, she just cruised, her friends were the biggest douches, pre ripped jeans, flat bill hats, orange beanines and all that bullshit. It was basically a bunch of pussies boardsliding 4� inches on a flat rail and a whole bunch of other bullshit.� After it was over I said straight up to her " that fuckin sucked dick".� It was tight. I hate that bitch.

if I had a dollar for every shitty post you've made, I would have 365 dollars as of right now. 366 if you respond to this.
Look I'm not selling anything that doesn't have my jizz on it. I don't care how much is offered.