Author Topic: Loosin my job  (Read 2981 times)

theloniousmonk

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 282
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Loosin my job
« on: October 03, 2006, 09:05:09 AM »
So I own a skate shop in a med size town and it's pretty cool. I even have an indoor 4' mini ramp in there and some other small shit to skate. I love the shop, but have to keep a 30 hour a week job to supplement the income, and keep the employee employed.
My 30 hour job is pretty cool, I get an hourly wage plus comission. I usually pull about $400 a week, and it's weekly pay, so it works out well. Plus I get insurance.

It is kind of like a sales job, and I sold something to someone I shouldn't have. The 2nd lady in charge called me this morning and told me the boss wants to fire me. I'm going to be bummed out if I get fired, because I actually like my job.

Fuck it , I guess it's out of my hands now

donnie_murdo

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 169
  • All up in your photo !
Re: Loosin my job
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2006, 09:23:47 AM »
So I own a skate shop in a med size town and it's pretty cool. I even have an indoor 4' mini ramp in there and some other small shit to skate. I love the shop, but have to keep a 30 hour a week job to supplement the income, and keep the employee employed.
My 30 hour job is pretty cool, I get an hourly wage plus comission. I usually pull about $400 a week, and it's weekly pay, so it works out well. Plus I get insurance.

It is kind of like a sales job, and I sold something to someone I shouldn't have. The 2nd lady in charge called me this morning and told me the boss wants to fire me. I'm going to be bummed out if I get fired, because I actually like my job.

Fuck it , I guess it's out of my hands now

That's pretty lame, what did you sell, if you were punting weed over the counter i could understand or something along those lines, but that sucks ass
...can't believe this thread brought Donnie Murdo out of the woodwork!

Guile

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 368
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2006, 12:01:11 PM »
you shouldnt have fucked around in the first place. why do people always have the need to fuck around?
               DGK
              SOME
              TIMES

roulette

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2006, 12:34:45 PM »
so you dont really own it?

brownSD

• Rep: 0
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2006, 12:39:41 PM »
yea, "you said you own a skate shop in a med size town and its pertty cool"
M4L...except kenny

Evil Kraken from the Arctic Sea

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 288
  • Hi SlapPal!
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2006, 01:10:34 PM »
Yeahj, but I guess the Skateshop doesn´t make much money, so he has to do some extrawork to be able to keep the shop. Some extra-work that he lost now...
I'll go frontside on some tranny for you.

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 264
  • tiger style
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2006, 02:25:36 PM »
I am in the process of loosing a job. It's kind of fucked up. I program and my boss doesn't so he has no way of telling if I am doing a good job or not. I am actually working cheaper for him than the market rate by quite a bit (10K+) and I have been busting my ass because I thought the environment was cool because we do a lot of work for Holywood, things like south park and Ali G. You can wear what you want and the poeple all seem cool to me because they are so not coporate and you can talk music with them and other stupid shit like that.

Well, now I realize what's tight about coporate people. As boring as they are they are professionals about everything. It's predictable and respectful unlike some of the kooks I work with. They can't control their emotions then tell you about it like you really give two squirts of piss about how they feel, it's just work no need to get upset about it. This place is like high school all over again, they have this regular pissing circle and they all exagerate their job titles and are arogant beyond their skills. I am about to say fuck it and go work for an oil and gas company as a contractor and just go after the big money and say fuck it to wearing ate up skate shoes and old jeans to work.

Sucks to find out that what you thought was cool is lame and what you thought was lame is actually tight.

Oh well, I got another job already if I want it at prudential and I am interviewing all week with some other energy companys.

Anyway, I feel you. Sucks to loose a job.

fuckingvegan

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2006, 02:49:16 PM »
I work in a lot of "professionals" companies and it is the same bullshit you are talking about except they are all dressed alike in ugly business cloths, don't kid yourself all companies suck, because 99% of humanity sucks.
I would kill to dress how I want everyday for work, it is the little things that make me happy though.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2006, 02:53:44 PM by fuckingvegan »

Mizzark

« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2006, 04:13:17 PM »
so you dont actually own shit

Mizzork

« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2006, 05:49:53 PM »
Ive been running around in my "civilian" clothes the last couple of days up here in San Francisco.  I hate my job but I can't get fired.  At least until 2009.  That's when I can quit.

scott

• Rep: 21
  • woo hah!!
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2006, 06:45:39 PM »
When I go to work, I wear brands like West 49, Billabong, Defiant... You know. So people at work "know" I skate, and so people outside of work don't have to see me like that.

that's quite an interesting concept.

theloniousmonk

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2006, 07:56:06 PM »
Yeah, the shop does pretty well, like usually $3000 in sales per month, but it is retail, so not  all that is profit. Winter sales go way down, and in order for me to get away and acutally skate once in a while i have to have a legit employee.

But yeah I got alot of bills, and having a job takes all the stress away from me with having to pay the bills. I love running a shop, but It's nice not to be there 7 days a week.

My other job (the one I'm probably loosing) was setting up timeshare tours in Wisconsin Dells. I basically sit in a booth all day, and talk to tourists, and let them know about the opportunity I have for them. It pays an hourly wage and a comission, so I'm definately greatful to get that kind of money, it definately keeps some new boards on the wall at the shop. And I work with 3 other friends, all who skate .

So yeah it's a pretty dope setup, but what can you do.

Mizzark

« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2006, 08:13:15 PM »
When I go to work, I wear brands like West 49, Billabong, Defiant... You know. So people at work "know" I skate, and so people outside of work don't have to see me like that.

right on

Delta

• Rep: 0
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2006, 05:17:06 AM »
When I was in college, the university went on strike for a few months. I grabbed a job at The Gap to pay for my meal card.

Of all places, you CANNOT get fired from The Gap at Christmas. I tried not selling anything, and they'd still credit me sales. I tried slacking off, and they said I must have been tired. I tried hitting on girls, and they would say they were lesbian.

You can't lose a job in the gayest atmosphere of the gayest business... ever...

plus, you have stolen ten pairs of boxers and socks. you still have em in your closet. you even have GAP logo tee as your PJ.
formerly known as honda accord

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • tiger style
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2006, 05:32:12 AM »
I work in a lot of "professionals" companies and it is the same bullshit you are talking about except they are all dressed alike in ugly business cloths, don't kid yourself all companies suck, because 99% of humanity sucks.
I would kill to dress how I want everyday for work, it is the little things that make me happy though.

Dressing how you like is definitely tight. But the difference between my current job and other options is that my current job you can wear anything but at the other jobs I am looking at you can't wear shorts, flip flops or T with offensive stuff on them (so not a huge difference).

I still love that it's just I have realized that things like:

- good process
- accountability
- working with people who keep their emotions and opinions to themselves (seriously, no one cares about you. do your job in a way that doesn't impact others)

are all way more important to my level of comfort at work.

steve urkel

« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2006, 12:44:24 PM »
shit i didnt mind wearin da same shit 4 work eveyrday, i only had ta wash it once a week and now i stuggle to find enough cloths to last me a weak.

liquid swords

• Rep: 6
« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2006, 02:46:21 PM »

I agree with this its all the same shit everywhere.

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • tiger style
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2006, 05:35:10 AM »
there are some good companies out there, they just don't last for very long. You have to catch them in period that starts with "end of startup"\pre-IPO and goes to mid sized company. Too small and you deal with reculous work expectations and annoying unprofessionalism. Once they start getting to big then you start seeing the MP3 servers going away, no beer at work, no video games, douche bag cloths, lame people, etc...

But trust me, there is a timing that works out where the companies are actually fun to work at. Problem is that once a company is like that they get a great staff and do good because of it. Then the company gets brought out and ruined by the new owners (public or private). I have seen it happen over and over to good companies (which do exist).

theloniousmonk

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2006, 05:37:43 AM »
Well I'm leavin for work right now after my tues and wed off. Got lots of skating in, and I'm hoping all this shit blew over by now.