Author Topic: bringing your board to social outings/school/work?  (Read 21139 times)

Chavo

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 219
Re: bringing your board to social outings/school/work?
« Reply #120 on: April 09, 2011, 07:53:45 AM »
I went skating with a co-worker who doesn't skate much anymore. The next day, he yells from across the hall, while I was talking to colleagues from my department, "Yesterday was fun. My legs are sore in places that I didn't know exist!" If there was any scenario to out myself as a skateboarder, that was one of them. But I didn't.

BraveUlysses

« Reply #121 on: April 09, 2011, 08:11:26 AM »
I went skating with a co-worker who doesn't skate much anymore. The next day, he yells from across the hall, while I was talking to colleagues from my department, "Yesterday was fun. My legs are sore in places that I didn't know exist!" If there was any scenario to out myself as a GAY, that was one of them. But I didn't.

jacktharipper

• Rep: -26
  • Graphics Out
« Reply #122 on: April 09, 2011, 08:12:12 AM »
I'm only 20, but I think in general after about age 16, the population of skaters declines and slowly, skating becomes a "you still skate?". I do go to school so last year when I lived in the dorms or whatever I'd skate around and some kids would get hyped on it and I guess it helped me meet the other kids that skate who are now my roommates.

More than anything though I believe anybody reading this thred who's in college can agree that the longboard fad is really bad for us. I feel like longboarders just ride down the road in front of cars and shit, it's a nuisance and half of the time the kids longboarding are huge douchebags wearing oakley's and shit. I feel like we tend to get lumped in with them, which is terrible.
MN -> IL

Chavo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 219
« Reply #123 on: April 09, 2011, 08:33:19 AM »
Expand Quote
I went skating with a co-worker who doesn't skate much anymore. The next day, he yells from across the hall, while I was talking to colleagues from my department, "Yesterday was fun. My legs are sore in places that I didn't know exist!" If there was any scenario to out myself as a GAY, that was one of them. But I didn't.
[close]

I think most people understood the gay implications here. It doesn't need to be changed. To break it down to you further, my silence on the issue suggests that I chose to accept the ramifications of being labeled a homosexual rather than explain to non-skaters the nuances of how skateboarding fatigues the flexor muscles (probably what my friend was referring to). Consequently, by changing skateboarder to "gay", you've actually produced contradictory statements. I suppose you could have omitted the last sentence, however, that would make the sentence preceding it redundant and unnecessary.

BraveUlysses

« Reply #124 on: April 09, 2011, 09:02:17 AM »
Yeah I undersood it I just couldn't help myself. Anytime you're in Virginia and you wanna make a real man sweaty and sore hit me up.  ;)

scorpion1001

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 40
  • All Hail Carroll
« Reply #125 on: April 09, 2011, 10:03:23 AM »
skating past union square a few days ago some girls came up to me and asked where flight club is (a hypebeast/sneakerhead store).  though i knew where it was from going with a friend of mine a few times who doesnt skate, i still found it pretty funny that they assumed i'd know where the store is since i skate and am dark skinned.

mandibleclaw

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 560
  • "RIP to myself one day." -jereme rogers
    • mandible claw avatar image
  • Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #126 on: April 09, 2011, 10:59:54 AM »
We are a noble sport more noble than any other

Doogie Howser Ph.D.

« Reply #127 on: April 09, 2011, 11:26:36 AM »
Homeless dudes always get stoked

bakedRice

• Rep: -20
« Reply #128 on: April 09, 2011, 05:32:12 PM »
skating past union square a few days ago some girls came up to me and asked where flight club is (a hypebeast/sneakerhead store).  though i knew where it was from going with a friend of mine a few times who doesnt skate, i still found it pretty funny that they assumed i'd know where the store is since i skate and am dark skinned.

well their assumptions were correct then. thanks for proving stereotypes.

I'm only 20, but I think in general after about age 16, the population of skaters declines and slowly, skating becomes a "you still skate?". I do go to school so last year when I lived in the dorms or whatever I'd skate around and some kids would get hyped on it and I guess it helped me meet the other kids that skate who are now my roommates.

More than anything though I believe anybody reading this thred who's in college can agree that the longboard fad is really bad for us. I feel like longboarders just ride down the road in front of cars and shit, it's a nuisance and half of the time the kids longboarding are huge douchebags wearing oakley's and shit. I feel like we tend to get lumped in with them, which is terrible.

its funny how when i lived on rez the only skaters i met were ones who were like transitioning out of it, and now these guys just act like complete jocks, it was so lame.

and its like how you wouldnt tell the difference between the different types of metal and "hardcore", its all the same to the average person, so i find its better to just not skateboard around campus, or at least ollie a curb on the way to your buliding so at least you show you can actually use the damn thing

pugmaster

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1601
  • Overweight and Underprepared
« Reply #129 on: April 10, 2011, 07:34:48 PM »

One of my roommates said he skated and turns out what he has is a longboard.  I am down for skating in all forms so I gave him a pass.  Unfortunately this dude comes up with excuses when I ask him to go skate and when it comes to anything he fucking blows it.  First he told me he was more of a snowboarder and loved bear mountain.  I said cool and asked him what his favorite run was.  He struggled to come up with a response and obviously was lying.  Recently he said he loves surfing and proceeded to tell me that short boards are way easier to stand up on than longboards.  It goes without saying that said his favorite local break is trestles which is in san diego and a well known spot for longboarders. which he claimed was in the Los Angeles area.  Ill have to get a pic somehow.
"...We got the nuclear worm over here..."

Never forget:
Rusty_Berrings, 360 frip, Yapple Dapple, Bubblegum Tate

c. 1995

• Rep: 31
« Reply #130 on: April 10, 2011, 07:40:24 PM »
In general I don't like carrying anything around that doesn't fit in my pockets. In middle/high school I brought my board to school cause I'd go skating right after I got out almost every day. At 30 years old it's kind of ridiculous. If I'm out skating and go somewhere to hang with non-skateboarder people or whatever afterwards and I'm walking around with a skateboard.

aojiru

• Rep: 0
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #131 on: April 10, 2011, 11:32:36 PM »
@pugmaster

Totally know what you're talking about!  There's a guy I used to hang with that always lamented the fact he "didn't have his deck" with him and nobody ever saw skate.  Guy must have read all the skate mags cover to cover though since, aside from the lack of evidence that he ever skated, he sounded like he knew what he was talking about.  After a while, it was more sad than funny so I didn't bother to call him out on it.

Also kind of unappreciate the guys who quit but keep bringing up super obscure/mediocre pros as an attempt to be down.

People get mad about others messing up what side of town they're from or what ridiculous sports team they support but can't understand why we'd be annoyed at being mistaken for longboarders?

L33Tg33k

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 718
  • F.A.P. - Forever Alone Party
« Reply #132 on: April 11, 2011, 01:27:08 AM »
Longboarding can be cool.

It all depends on the dude riding it.
Before you say the music sucked, have you considered shutting the fuck up?

Jimsta000

« Reply #133 on: April 11, 2011, 03:10:06 AM »
I dont go to school or work and I dont party. . . . . . skatepark life!

SDG

« Reply #134 on: April 11, 2011, 06:30:10 AM »
I think as long as you're comfortable with yourself and you love skateboarding, why the fuck not bring your board everywhere? The best part of my day is bombing home from work or to downtown, bonking cracks and ollieing manholes.

Usually when someone yells Tony Hawk! or some shit I either ignore them or tell them to grow up. As for social confrontations regarding skateboarding, I'm usually glad to educate the average joe on how I feel about skating, as long as I have the time and he/she doesn't read like an idiot or seems inconsiderate. It all depends on who's asking. 

A pack of us bomb to the bar every weekend after pre-drinking and have the best time skating through all the people getting wasted on our way to the pub. Sometimes we just end up skating instead! One thing about going out late at night though is you have to be careful after the bar closes. Stay with your homies if you have a skateboard, because it never fails that a crew of jock dudes are gonna mock you and cause beef if you are alone. Had a homie that got stomped the other week after being made fun of for having a skateboard... our whole crew seen the dude the other night, homie pointed him out, then one of our friends just went over and beat the fuck out of him. it was like, "thats the dude." nothing else was said and our buddy just went and fucked him up! pretty amazing.

Longboarding. I fucking hate them. they lurk the city like the plague. no joke I seen a dude in sandals, carrying groceries and going uphill. When we go skate on the university campus, there's so many good lookin broads... if I'm chilling with a crew I kind of think to myself, "all those chicks probably think we're fucking longboarders." that bums me out bigtime. I almost want to make posters that say "longboarders aren't skateboarders" and post em up everywhere to cause intrigue with the average city dweller.